PDA

View Full Version : Using Napoleonic Warfare Great Coats for IG Kosher?

Billpete002
09-02-2009, 16:45
So, with all the rumors flooding The Dude's IG rumor boards I am tempted to build up a new IG army (as I've sold my German & Russian influenced armies).

One thing I have noticed is GW hates gamers with proxy models in their store (pretty understandable and frankly this isn't a thread whining about why).

I could never take my germans into GW because they were not GW models. The Russians were Valhallans (which I love) and did quite a few games with them, but they are geared to the old rules and are metal (thus weigh a ton and a half) and are prone to chipping/wear and tear requiring many hours of touch up work...

So I made an executive decision to switch to 100% (or darn close) plastic. What I wanted to know -as I have no experience in this matter and why I told you about my previous armies- is would a mix be allowed? I personally can't stand Cadians or Catachans. I used to have DKoK but they are too much $$ (along with anything else FW). So my question to you is:

Could I play at a GW using bits and pieces of Napoleonic War models (Perry Brothers for instance) I would remove the heads/arms/packs and use GW parts so really only the legs/chest are from another producer. I want great coat guard, but I don't feel like waiting an eternity and a half for them to be released (if at all!).

And yes GW stores can very from place to place - so I would like to know from a few different people (and even GW employees) if this is kosher? I am using lasguns/plasma guns etc. the tanks are GW, the heads/arms/backpacks are GW - how much plastic does it really need to have to be considered usable?

FYI - Hell if I care about tournaments. Just one off games at GW.

Your thoughts?

Grubnar
09-02-2009, 16:54
As long as it is pretty clear what is what and if you take the time to explain things before the game, then I do not see a problem. Personally I can not stand the new Cadins, those spaceballs helmets look *****.

But are Nopoleonic era greatcoats the right look? I would think that world war one era would fit better?

elite_dannux
09-02-2009, 17:00
What about these?

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/

They have great longcoated models, check the Kolony militia range.

And for more heads look at these

http://kulturkommissariatet.se/catalog/index.php?cPath=124_969_974&osCsid=ou822g6j9vl3njko797qnedu32

Billpete002
09-02-2009, 17:07
well it's not so much the era - just that I want a great coat :D

The Perry Napoleonic miniatures are gorgeous and its 42 mini for 15 pounds (28mm) - that's a bargain price compared to GW.

Also, everything will use GW weapons or be pretty self explanatory. A medic will have a reductor. A flag bearer will have a standard. lasguns will be lasguns and anything else - its really just the legs and torso.

Just don't want to invest in an army (like I did with my germans) and not be able to use them at all. or have tons of metal chipping and bending all over the place...

Billpete002
09-02-2009, 17:09
I was thinking about pig iron heads, but I donno if that would be going "too far" away from GW to not play in their stores...

Gwedd
09-02-2009, 18:10
You know, of course, that the Perry twins sculpt for GW? They were the lead sculptors for Citadel before GW was around.

Just sayin' ;)

Billpete002
09-02-2009, 19:21
Yeah one reason I like their sculpts - they also did many of the old IG range in fact.

But that is not a reason why a GW store would let me use altered models. My main question is has anyone showed up with semi-non GW models and been turned around and booted out the door?

The only thing I can think of are conversions and they allow those... So its really: to what extent is it a conversion or just a random model?

Rick Blaine
09-02-2009, 20:32
As far as I know historical 28mm minis are too small and don't mesh well with GW's "heroic" scale.

Glabro
09-02-2009, 20:45
As far as I know historical 28mm minis are too small and don't mesh well with GW's "heroic" scale.

Put a Cadian and a Space Marine next to each other: do they really mesh well together?

Personally, realistically proportioned 28mm miniatures are perfect for Guardsmen.
You may also want to look at Wargames' Factory's brits or Victrix's Napoleonics as well.

I'm surprised you're actually concerned about being able to play in a GW store(Helsinki, I presume?) considering how the Finnish "GW Hobby" never was that shop intensive. I had the image that the shop only caters for small 500 point games played over an hour or something for one afternoon per week.

Billpete002
09-02-2009, 21:00
yeah Helsinki, nah I've played 2k before (after closing time with one of the staff) great game.

The staff generally get lots of FW stuff and convert - I just didn't wanna bring something and not use it.