PDA

View Full Version : Death Guard or Deathwing?

Ordo Malleus
11-02-2009, 09:46
Hi Everyone,

After playing with a Nid army for some time now, I feel like a new direction, and wanted an army that is fairly durable. Research has led me to the Death Guard and the Deathwing, but between the two, I really know very little about their strengths.

So far as I can tell, Deathwing hover around the 18" to 24" mark and engage in firefights only, and when you get assaulted, you lose.

Death Guard, so far as I can tell, are just hard to kill - I can't discern their play style from any of the posts on here.

So what I'm looking for is a run-down on what the strengths and weaknesses of each army are, and which one you feel will provide me with more enjoyment!

Thanks

Eulenspiegel
11-02-2009, 11:29
Why would Deathwing be afraid of combat? Their only problem (if you want to call it that) is the low model count, making it a difficult army to master.

Deathguard work best if fully mechanized. Drive up, shoot the hell out of anything in range, absorb the charge like a man.
Their most effective range would be 1" - 12" (adding the Rhino´s movement and deployment).

Sleazy
11-02-2009, 12:06
Deathwing termies would only be wary of cc vs power weapons. A unit of DW with lightning claws can take most units.

Necromancer2
11-02-2009, 12:07
Deathwing only suffers from low model count and PFists striking last. ;) It's all in the list! Dreds,LR's Oh my!

Death Guard only work one way IMO. Charge up, deploy and shoot... hopefully backed up by a GD or Prince. It's a very one Dimesional Army.

Norsehawk
11-02-2009, 12:11
Why would Deathwing be afraid of combat?

Limited to 5 members per squad
Low Model Count
Low Initiative (if you don't have Lightning Claws)
Usually a large number of attacks from the other side
Death by papercuts
Deathwing doesn't get the good Storm Shields

Of course, the plus of Deathwing is that you get to freely mix your squads as you like. You can have thunder hammers with a guy toting an assault cannon and chainfist. You can have 5x Lightning Claw termies, with one with a Cyclone missile launcher.

Mannimarco
11-02-2009, 12:18
lots of armies can be accused of being one dimensional, oh look its an imperial guard gunline, hey look over there, an ork swarm or tyranid swarm

yes death guard armies excel at the rolling gunline but that can be said for most marines, remember that the death guard are a close assault army, they want to get in close combat with their high toughness feel no pain and the ofter overlooked blight grenades

IronNerd
11-02-2009, 12:25
Well let me make it simple for you.

Deathwing: You follow the "Emperor", who is some dried up old husk that doesn't even know you exist.

Death Gaurd: You follow Papa Nurgle. He loves all his followers, and showers you with hugs and delicious disease ridden gifts. He truly cares!

Lorenzen
11-02-2009, 12:26
deathwing need to pick their fights and use things like deathwing assault to do so.. nobody likes losing their good tanks etc on the 1st turn and subsequently having half an army of terminators up their face before they even get to move.

Mannimarco
11-02-2009, 12:31
and worst case scenario ypu could combine the 2, death guard have been known to use lots of terminators, try taking typhus with your elites made up of terminators with the icon of nurgle and 2 minimal troop squads to save points

its expensive as hell but fairly scary on table (unless your capturing objectives in which case the lack of troops hurts)

Gimp
11-02-2009, 12:49
Go Death Guard

They have a little move variety and great conversion opitunity.

inquisitor solarris
11-02-2009, 14:44
I'd say Deathwing-Being the ONLY army to field terminators is great :D.

AngryAngel
11-02-2009, 14:57
Deathwing, is it even a question ? Appear for the fight armed to the teeth with terminators and watch your opponent crumble before you. As well, and I'm sure the deathwing old heads would agree with me, playing as deathwing just makes you that much more manly.

Vedar
11-02-2009, 17:46
Nurgle one dimesional? Unless you really feel like restricting yourself to plague marines only you have the entire Chaos codex to use. Land raiders, Defilers, Pred, dreads, Raptors (Icon nurgle), heck even havocs with Icon Nurlge. You can do a lot with Nurgle, it just gets pricey in points sometimes.

victorpofa
11-02-2009, 19:37
They are both nice forces. Nurgle Chaos is more flexible, but Deathwing is hard as nails. I like both so I say do Deathwing, then Nurgle Chaos as you master playing your Deathwing. :evilgrin:

Ravenheart
11-02-2009, 20:08
Go Death Guard

They have a little move variety and great conversion opitunity.

Indeed. Beisides the obligatory Plaguemarines, you can get either a Prince, Lord or Sorceror as HQ. All of the three are solid choices.

Same goes for HQ, where the Defiler, Vindicator and Obliterators all have their roles.

And if you don't take it too seriously with restrictions, there is a load of other choices that can be incorperated.

Gimp
11-02-2009, 21:59
Indeed. Beisides the obligatory Plaguemarines, you can get either a Prince, Lord or Sorceror as HQ. All of the three are solid choices.

Same goes for HQ, where the Defiler, Vindicator and Obliterators all have their roles.

And if you don't take it too seriously with restrictions, there is a load of other choices that can be incorperated.

Also there is a cool special character and not to mention deamons (big and small) :cool:

NovaScotius
12-02-2009, 14:00
I've found myself in pretty much the same situation (Even with the same two armies!) - and I think I'm going to follow the advice that someone said on here, collect Deathwing and then do Death Guard while I master Deathwing - I'd advise you do the same!

Wiseman
12-02-2009, 14:25
I've got a deathwing army, and whoever recommended to you to stick 18" away and fire couldn't be further from the truth. I find they are at their most effective when you hit an area with multiple squads at once, shoot and charge, and you should be able to hold you own against most units, dont try and use deathwing as a fire support army as you will lose everytime. Most army's willhave enough AP2 weapons to whittle your numbers down quickly.

May sound obvious as well, but pick your targets wisely. Crush squads in one go, assault units that don't have power weapons. I played a guard army recently, and found that the sole surviving terminator from his squad managed to over the course of 5 turns take the charges of 8 squads of guardsmen and hold an objective, causing every single unit to flee and finishing the game holding the objective, its these sort of situations you want to get into, where your not likely to get killed, and lose models from an already small army list. That brings me to my next point, You will always, always be out numbered, The best odd's I've had is only being out number 4-1 by marines, but its been as bad as 12-1 in some cases. So as much fun as it is to play deathwing, you have to be very careful, it can all go tits up very quickly if you don't watch yourself.