PDA

View Full Version : bug's dex (4th ed)?

daemonhuntermoe
02-05-2005, 10:57
How long will it be before the release of the dex (bugs 4th ed on it's own (not in the boxed set costing 235)? I have 53 models at home, all of which I did just this weekend in under 8 hours total. I saw the rules for them in one of the gaming stores and the genestealers are nasty. I'm going to start a genestealer cult pretty soon w/ these new rules. But when is the book out?

Is there someway I could get the dex (4th ed. of course) before the release date?

zealousheretic
02-05-2005, 11:16
Welcome to the Hive Mind!

Unfortunately, I think the only way to get the book before official release involves the army deal.

Just out of curiosity, what models do you already have? Genestealers are benefiting from the revised codex significantly. Broodlord looks like a highly nasty alternative to the Hive Tyrant.

Brimstone
02-05-2005, 11:32
You know of course there is no Genestealer Cult list in the codex. Of course you can use the new Tyranid codex (out on the 4th of June) for a Cult list with a broodlord for HQ and 'stealers as troops.

However this does loose a lot of the flavour of a actual Genestealer cult, you have the Genestealers but no Cult.

It would make a reasonably good stand in until the actual list is released (very TBC) but you might want to look at other lists especially the Lost & The Damned using the Daemonette rules for purestrains.

hastur
02-05-2005, 13:30
if i remember well, there was an 'official' stealer cult's army list working under 3rd edition, and it was totally independant from the nid dex (special rules for stealers, etc..) i guess you could play this as any other army with only its 3rd edition dex. and it was pretty cool too IMHO (with the famous 'cult limousine' :eek: )

PhrollikK
02-05-2005, 16:03
I'm still rooting for the Imperial Guard Doctrines system as a stand in for official 'stealer cult rules. Use Ogryn-stats for Genestealers, Regular IG-platoons as a local PDF detachment gone cultist and Conscript Platoons as regular civilian militia :)

daemonhuntermoe
02-05-2005, 16:50
Well, I don't know the exact defination of a Genestealer Cult so that would help if you told me. A genestealer cult to me is an army composed completely of genestealers. Anyway, could it be possible to purchase it off of eBay or something? I'm almost dead waiting for the book to be realeased. I saw the rules for it on Sunday and they wre so different. I NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON IT!!!!

sulla
02-05-2005, 17:46
You know of course there is no Genestealer Cult list in the codex. Of course you can use the new Tyranid codex (out on the 4th of June) for a Cult list with a broodlord for HQ and 'stealers as troops.

However this does loose a lot of the flavour of a actual Genestealer cult, you have the Genestealers but no Cult.

It would make a reasonably good stand in until the actual list is released (very TBC) but you might want to look at other lists especially the Lost & The Damned using the Daemonette rules for purestrains.

Use the adversaries from codex witch-hunters. Rogue psycher as a magus, mutants as hybrids and traitors as human thralls. You could even add the apostate cardinal as one of the corrupted church officials seen in so much 'stealer fiction.

Inquisitor Engel
02-05-2005, 18:14
Make some cultists, count as arming them as Termagants with whichever weapon you feel best represents the rabble of a world. (No living ammo!) You're set there. :)

The Ape
02-05-2005, 18:45
Well, I don't know the exact defination of a Genestealer Cult so that would help if you told me. A genestealer cult to me is an army composed completely of genestealers. Anyway, could it be possible to purchase it off of eBay or something? I'm almost dead waiting for the book to be realeased. I saw the rules for it on Sunday and they wre so different. I NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON IT!!!!

I doubt any staff member who has a copy is going to be willing to risk their job by selling it on Ebay! Well, there may be one or two fools willing to do so-I must say it is a very nice book and am very happy i have my copy already :D

t-tauri
02-05-2005, 19:18
I doubt any staff member who has a copy is going to be willing to risk their job by selling it on Ebay! Well, there may be one or two fools willing to do so-I must say it is a very nice book and am very happy i have my copy already :D

Stone him! Stone him! :D I'm expecting my army box this week and that's the quickest any of us mere mortals will get their hands on the codex.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a staff copy appear on ebay shortly. I know if I were leaving GW selling off some stuff bought at staff discount would be a decent golden hamdshake.

Negafex
02-05-2005, 20:08
does anyone know when the codex is actually coming out? you know, on its own and all not in some rediculously priced yet money saving box set :confused:

Brimstone
02-05-2005, 20:34
As I said in the third post the 4th of June.

Forgotmytea
02-05-2005, 20:45
if i remember well, there was an 'official' stealer cult's army list working under 3rd edition, and it was totally independant from the nid dex (special rules for stealers, etc..) i guess you could play this as any other army with only its 3rd edition dex. and it was pretty cool too IMHO (with the famous 'cult limousine' :eek: )

Have you (or anyone) got a link to a PDF of that list?

Brimstone
02-05-2005, 21:02
Have you (or anyone) got a link to a PDF of that list?

Try here. (http://www.torchlight.org.uk/Tyranids/Codex_Genestealer_Cults_The_Directors_Cut_Disc_1.h tm)

I'm also going to move it to 40K general as it's more a discussion on Stealer Cults than it is rumours (the release date can easily be checked by looking at the GW sites and there are plenty of nid threads already).

daemonhuntermoe
02-05-2005, 22:11
How'd you get yours already? The thing doesn't come out until 5/19 in the big boxed set?! How?! I must know!

Brimstone
02-05-2005, 22:16
How'd you get yours already? The thing doesn't come out until 5/19 in the big boxed set?! How?! I must know!

Well it's the 7th of May in the UK. ;)

Obviously it's sooner if you have contacts but I wouldn't expect the Ape to divuluge anything.

I've already had a couple of games uing the new codex. :D

daemonhuntermoe
03-05-2005, 00:32

Obviously it's sooner if you have contacts but I wouldn't expect the Ape to divuluge anything.

I've already had a couple of games uing the new codex. :D
:mad: So the you English people already have the codex? grrr....

The Ape
03-05-2005, 19:36

Indeed, and then i wouldnt get the next codex early ;)

Eversor
03-05-2005, 22:56
Well, I don't know the exact defination of a Genestealer Cult so that would help if you told me. A genestealer cult to me is an army composed completely of genestealers. <snip>
A genestealer cult is a catch-all term of what happens when a genestealer infests and infiltrates a human (or sometimes alien) civilization. The infested hosts often take to worshipping the original genestealer (the patriarch) as a god, hence the term cult.

Check out this (http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/w40krp/WD114_Genestealers.shtml) old article from WD 114 and 115 for more info on the genestealer reproduction cycle.

On the battlefield, 'stealer cults consists of fanatical human followers, as well as the leading coven of hybrids. And the purestrain 'stealers of course ;)

Jmitchell
06-05-2005, 21:31
Make some cultists, count as arming them as Termagants with whichever weapon you feel best represents the rabble of a world. (No living ammo!) You're set there. :)

One small problem, under the new rules (out tommorow :D ), living ammo has its own special rules as the ammo seeks out nice fleshy bits to bore into. mmm cadians...

gLOBS
06-05-2005, 23:42
Meh you could give em spine fists and have the twin link rule due to 2 laspistols that do not benefit as such in hth.

Eversor
07-05-2005, 00:53
Meh you could give em spine fists and have the twin link rule due to 2 laspistols that do not benefit as such in hth.
That's a great idea! Or maybe shotguns?