PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing mistakes?

Deadmanwade
23-02-2009, 07:12
Recently, I went out and bought an Ork army. 2 Battleforces, Black reach and some other bits and pieces.
I already collect marines so the black reach was a sweet deal in and of itself.

Since that time I have built maybe a dozen ork boyz, a warbike and half a battlewagon. I just cant seem to find any inspiration for it. When I got the new marine dex I put together over 2000 points of models in a couple of weeks and I still want more. I am positively salivating over the new guard stuff. I always have models waiting to be built, and I still plan to do them at some point, I just have no love for orks now and I cant see it changing. The stompa looks awesome, but I know I`ll never get it finished and it`d never reach my gaming table.

Have you ever bought an army because you thought it looked cool and then, when you`ve taken it home, opened the box and looked at it thought "nah, this isnt for me"?

the1stpip
23-02-2009, 07:49
Nope, although after painting 2000 pts of them, I often leave models on the shelf for a long whil before I force myself to paint them.

If I did that, the wife would shoot me.

MajorWesJanson
23-02-2009, 07:57
Bought a bunch of Chaos to model and paint. Should have spent the money on more Tau or Orks :(

Kelpi
23-02-2009, 07:57
I kinda feel that way about my Necrons. I do whip them out occasionally for fun but they are mostly in stasis till they get a new Codex

Born Again
23-02-2009, 08:03
No, I wait and wait and salivate over pics of the models for a long time first to make sure they're what I want to go for. It has become a bit of a struggle to get stuff done sometimes (I got pretty sick of the drab colour scheme on my Tau), and I had to give myself a bit of a push to get them done, but it was worth it in the end.

Shangrila
23-02-2009, 08:06
I sorta feel that way about my marines, as had i actually been able to buy guard at the time i got shrike. I would probably havent picked up any marines at all.but they are still special to me, even though guard are my favorite and get all that cool FW stuff, my mairnes stilll get a fight once in a while.(more often then my tau!)

ChaosVC
23-02-2009, 08:09
Nope, money is preciously few, I plan alot ahead to buy almost everything I like and I owned. Though I do wish I can do every single of them justice with my paint job...

Triggerdog
23-02-2009, 08:32
I bought a Vargulf (for fantasy) and for the like of me I cannot remember why. Its still in its package, untouched. People have suggested I make some sort of chaos beast from it, a mount for a lord or something along those lines. But I only play Imperial armies. So the beast sits, unassembled and unopened on the desk being a puzzlement.

Grapeshot
23-02-2009, 09:41
I won't go for big purchase like Battleforce in case I end up with lots of unpainted minis which I lost my appeitite for them. This is a lesson from past experiences buying the older edition of WH40K, WFB and LOTR starter box sets. I have never successfully painted any of the plastic minis.

My strategy (if you can call that a strategy) is to surf the GW or other websites to look at the minis photos and introduction to the armies and background. This will give me a feel on what I would like to have. Then I go for the army/codex books which I think may be interesting. Even if I end up regreting buying the book, I only lost the money on the book, not forgetting gaining knowledge of the army which your opponent might be using. It is only from here I start to buy minis to build my units. Although in long run it is cheaper to get Battleforce, but I won't risk buying them and end up chucking them aside. In addition, it gives you more reason to visit your favourite hobby store.

Corrode
23-02-2009, 10:03
I have 11 different ranges of stuff I made a start on before getting bored. To date only the Orks and OnG are anywhere near being finished. I have terrible impulse control (and apparently a devotion to greenskins)

Filthy O'Bedlam
23-02-2009, 10:10
I don't even play Fantasy but I have serious crush on both the Skaven and Dwarf lines. I'm always finding ways to incorporate the Skaven (various characters, Warp Lightning Cannon) into my Chaos army, and the Dwarves (Gyrocopters, more various characters) into my Witch Hunters. Can't say I regret it, but the money probably could have benn better spent elsewhere.

The only models I regret are the Necron Lord, Pariah, and both C'Tan I bought when the Necrons were first introduced. Loved the models, then I read the Codex. Yeah...not so much.

Cheers, Filthy

Lord Malorne
23-02-2009, 10:20
OP:I know what you mean in regards to buying stuff and leaving it for months, everytime I think about getting something I menataly picture my to-do pile and say...No, not more.

I don't always succeed :cries:.

squilverine
23-02-2009, 10:25
I am doing it all the time, the next new shiney miniatures come out and i have got to get them, only to have them sit under my bed gathering dust for months on end.

I currently have a tau battle force and an empire reinforcements battalion hidding under there!

genestealer_baldric
23-02-2009, 10:27
brought 3000 point of eldar played a few games realised i didn't like them and they are sitting in a box at home

chromedog
23-02-2009, 11:02
Nope.

I've bought models because I've liked the look of them, but never an army's worth I didn't want. I want to get an ork battlewagon (purely because I need a big a%% truck for another game (rpg) and it looks big enough.) and I've bought several necron and ork models (but they were used to make beefy looking necromunda gangers).

Reflex
23-02-2009, 12:03
i got a few thousand points of lizardmen. i have had the army for a few years, all un painted and was going to get them out with the new army book. but considering my dislike for the book i decided i might sell them up.

Deathworld Vet
23-02-2009, 12:07
All the time.

I have a massive box filled with sprues, that are liable never to be touched.
I have fantasy models from years ago that i dont even know why i have them. Too much of an impulse buyer, "oh shiny and new" must have it.

EVIL INC
23-02-2009, 12:12
Never bought an army outright like that. I have always gotten smaller parts of it and started putting it together. If I am inspired, I keep buying, if not, I just stop and end up trading the stuff off.

Classius
23-02-2009, 12:30
tyranid assault brood and battleforce sitting under my desk, i built the battleforce but ran out of patience with the assault brood. . . . so now its useless to me

Korras
23-02-2009, 12:32
well.. I do have a dozen blisters of Dwarves and Vampire Counts at home.. and I don't play fantasy. :p

how come? as some might know, GW Amsterdam celebrated it's 10th birthday last saturday. for every 20 euro's spent, you got to fish one blister out of a big box of Fantasy blisters (on top of the other giveaways..). me and my younger brother kinda went on a shopping spree..

most I handed out to others once I found my way outside again. however, I do know a person who recently started out with Fantasy, and plays Vampire Counts. she'll be happy with free stuff, I'm pretty sure. another plays Dwarves, so those will also find a good home. some found it's way already to a former colleague whom I ran into there.. I let his daughter have first dibs on what I had left besides the dwarves and vampires.

Sir_Turalyon
23-02-2009, 13:24
Not in 40k, but it happened with me and WFB Lizardmen, I collected about 1500 points then when I wanted to put together army list and play them didn't go beyond the *yawn* stage. They are still sitting on the shelf, waiting for better times. I've also also sizable Chaos Dwarf army I played only few times, but as I was finishing it I was less and less interested in WFB; just as I finished Dark Angels codex came out and convinced me 40k is becoming interesting again.

Mercer
23-02-2009, 14:11
Brought a Tyranid battle force when I wasn't really that arsed about tyranids all together.

Earthbeard
23-02-2009, 14:20
I buy stuff for crazy conversions or to adapt into my armies all the time, quite frequently I run out of steam and the items sit unused for ages.....but still I continue to buy more.

The first step is admitting you have a problem :P

Inach
23-02-2009, 14:30
I kinda feel that way about my Necrons. I do whip them out occasionally for fun but they are mostly in stasis till they get a new Codex
Same here...

Brucopeloso
23-02-2009, 14:32
Just one thing to say: thank god for E-bay!

So many mistakes in my youth have transformed back into cash ;)

For example a few years ago I bought an entire chaos army for warmaster, painted it and played with it ONCE.

Sold it bit by bit last month and boy did it make its money back three times over! :D

Hicks
23-02-2009, 14:34
I stopped playing Iyanden after my first game with them. Eldars just can't keep me interested after a while. One big purchasing mistake I made was to buy a 6000 points Tau army from a friend, the models looked like they had been attacked by pitbulls with acid in their mouths. I manage to trade these for some eldars... so now I'm back to trying to trade my eldars. :(

Blue Orphen
23-02-2009, 14:36
2500 points of Eldar.

I love the army, I love the play style, I love everything about them!

I love playing as them, zipping around in skimmers shooting ungodly amounts of firepower.

I love having a challenge, needing to think three or four steps ahead to make sure I don't screw myself over.

But I hate painting the models...I don't know why, I just can't bring myself to paint more than one or two of any given squad! =(

wilsonian
23-02-2009, 14:36
Nids. I loved the idea of doing a xeno army (as all my others have been either CSM, SM or IG). I painted a few items and bought a fair few items but now regret it as I just don't have the intrest in them any more.

So check out my sale section ;)

Giganthrax
23-02-2009, 14:37
Miniatures are too expensive where I live for me to make any "accidental purchases". All of my purchases are therefore carefully planned.

EDIT: On the other hand, I do have a bunch of paints I never used...

Darkstar2586
23-02-2009, 14:44
My entire 2000+ points of tau.

Only bought them because i liked the painting, but dont like playing them at all

Desalbert
23-02-2009, 16:05
I've actually done this a lot, unfortunately. For me though, it's mostly that I buy a codex and then realize that the army isn't interesting to me. I've done this with many: Daemonhunters, Witch-hunters, Eldar, the new Ork book, and Beasts of Chaos. Worse yet, I once bought a Brettonian 'battleforce' on the basis that I love King Arthur's Knights and their tales, but the army itself is just so unimaginative, and lacking variety when compared to others in the Fantasy realm that I just could not get into it.

Ubermensch Commander
23-02-2009, 18:51
Fortunately, my purchases are few and far between otherwise I would have lots of wasted money.
I used to look at army books/codices and think "Oh man! I could do a themed army of THIS or THAT!" such as a medieval communist revolution( I know I know it needs to be post industrial societys) themed army of "Cher Nobyls" for Bretonnians or a Wheel of Time Trolloc force for Beasts of Chaos. For a time I DESPERATELY wanted to do a Noldor army for High Elves.
Fortunately I then realized taht all these armies suffered from a few flaws
1) MONEY. It would be so expensive to do them, I could hear my wallet sobbing and begging for me to see reason every time I even considered doing them.
2) Conversion work. I am neither a master painter nor master converter. These armies would not have looked on the tabletop as I had them in my head.
3) Just didnt translate well in a lot of cases; No way to represent Myrdraal, the High Elves emphasis on DRAGONS went completely against Tolkien's Noldor and no where in the High Elf list did i see "Elves badass enough to face down a Bloodthrister/Balrog" which is what the Nolder were.

So I dreamt big and then reality set in....saving me time, money, and effort.

Colonial Rifle
23-02-2009, 19:09
Not that bad for me. My initial foray into Necrons lasted one Warior box, but have 3000pts now.

My Beastmen only had 2 games, but I don't regret buying them!

Azhrarn
23-02-2009, 19:22
Ogre Kingdoms Armydeal, while the army is fun to play you're at a big disadvantage with the current rules since it's all but impossible to get rank bonuses out of Ogres.
(200mm wide frontage, no thanks)

Just couldn't play effectively with them and my interested dropped off rather sharply. Have quite a few of them sitting unpainted.

Coragus
23-02-2009, 19:45
I've started Fantasy Chaos armies twice and given the miniatures to my Chaos playing friend. I might do that again with some Deamonettes I've got at home.

Laser guided fanatic
23-02-2009, 20:24
Buying every codex that comes out when I only play space marines.

de Selby
23-02-2009, 20:39
I'm ok with 40k. Sooner or later stuff gets done, one way or another. I do have a tendency to buy Fantasy models because they look great or seem like a bargain and then never paint them.

I'm sort-of hoping that one day I'll have collected all the 40k armies and then I'll get around to doing the WFB stuff.

SPYDER68
23-02-2009, 20:52
Recently, I went out and bought an Ork army. 2 Battleforces, Black reach and some other bits and pieces.

Since that time I have built maybe a dozen ork boyz, a warbike and half a battlewagon. I just cant seem to find any inspiration for it. When I got the new marine dex I put together over 2000 points of models in a couple of weeks and I still want more. I am positively salivating over the new guard stuff. I always have models waiting to be built, and I still plan to do them at some point, I just have no love for orks now and I cant see it changing. The stompa looks awesome, but I know I`ll never get it finished and it`d never reach my gaming table.

Have you ever bought an army because you thought it looked cool and then, when you`ve taken it home, opened the box and looked at it thought "nah, this isnt for me"?

That is why there is ebay. :P

sydbridges
23-02-2009, 20:53
OP:I know what you mean in regards to buying stuff and leaving it for months, everytime I think about getting something I menataly picture my to-do pile and say...No, not more.

I don't always succeed :cries:.

Yeah, I know how that goes. I've got almost an entire battle company of space marines I plan to paint up as Soul Drinkers... of which, so far, I've built and painted one AoBR termie that came with White Dwarf and one tactical marine.

I sometimes look at the pile of stuff I've collected for it - it's good inspiration against the voice in my head which is always going "Y'know wot we needz now? Orks."

Although, to be fair to me, I will certainly EVENTUALLY build and paint them all. I just build armies at a very slow rate most of the time.

Leftenant Gashrog
23-02-2009, 21:01
I'm too much of a geek for any of my GW purchases to be "mistakes" ~ if nothing else they make do as something to let n00bs paint. Hell I still haven't made the Necron Army Box I got the day they were released and I still don't regard that as a mistake.. (I'm gonna do them someday.. :rolleyes:)

Simo429
23-02-2009, 21:09
the first models i ever brought were grey knights i still havent done anything with them, maybe one day

Vesica
23-02-2009, 22:09

yes, yes i have, and heres a small list of things i have bought for no real reason:

- 1 box of CSM
- 2 boxes of Rubic marines
- IG battleforce
- about 5 BT upgrade packs
- Tech Priest
- WFB Khornite Champion (it was in sale and it looks awesome)
- 2 IG Lieutenants
- Powerfist Chaplain
- Empire General

Thats it for the moment, i am currently trying to choose between40k andFantasy for my next force, so i expect the list to lengthen and involve more than likely a fair few orks, orcs, bretonnians, Empire troops, Elves of everykind and probably even more IG

:D

burning crome
23-02-2009, 22:59
I can beat all of you. I really have the ebay curse, last mouth a bought a FW baneblade which i have no use for other than it look nice and i can fight over it. I play SM for god sake. My only saving grace is if I won it then i've got it cheap so can pass it on to my gaming budy's who put up with my radom habit.

I got 140 dark eldar
3 half converted falcons
40 CSM
3 LR
4 Rhino hulls
plus loads of other random stuff all gathering dust waiting for me to do some thing with them in a box

Ironmonger
23-02-2009, 23:29
1000 pts of SoB including 30 Sisters, a canoness, 10 Seraphim, 2 immolators and Celestine (which I was able to convert heavily into a flying/winged version). 100 pounds unpainted and collecting dust. I don't want to sell them, though, cause as soon as I do I'll get the bug to play 'em and regret it.

Forlorn
24-02-2009, 16:55
I bought a Vargulf (for fantasy) and for the like of me I cannot remember why. Its still in its package, untouched. People have suggested I make some sort of chaos beast from it, a mount for a lord or something along those lines. But I only play Imperial armies. So the beast sits, unassembled and unopened on the desk being a puzzlement.

I did the same thing!

Maine
25-02-2009, 01:40

Not exactly the same, but...

My wife got me the Tau Megaforce for my birthday a year and a half ago. I added a Commander and a regular suit to it. I still haven't assembled any of it. Now I'm willing to trade some of it away for building up my other armies.

I bought the Ork battleforce (Well, won part of it really, $40 in store credit for winning a RTT - only time my Necrons ever won, even!) and a box of boyz and a Mekboy. Never did put them together, eventually my wife took them as her own. She got through putting most of them together before deciding she wasn't interested. She did the same thing with Necrons years ago (which I took over and painted... to eventually win the Orks for her to take over and give up on)

She made efforts to take an interest in the hobby but just didn't really get into it, despite her 2:0 win streak...

jeffersonian000
25-02-2009, 02:38
Necrons: I bought into them when they first came out; I loved the background, the look, and the way they played. I planted up all my little metal bits and ... their new codex came out, the units changed, the feel changed, and they became a dust collector at the back of my hobby closet.

Legion of the Damned: Awesome look, great background, even had rules for fielding an entire army of them ... then new codexes came out and they were reduced again back to a single squad selection. Gone were my Legion Dreadnought, Librarian, Chaplain, Techmarine, and Chapter Master. The new 5th C:SM might breathe life back into them, or it might not. Too many units just don't fit anymore. Do I take them as elite LotD? Or do I just use them as vanilla marines with a nifty paint scheme? Time will tell.

Sisters of Battle: Loved'em. Background, look, feel, they had it all ... until C:WH was released, then they were relegated to the backburner of the GW merchandising machine as just another fringe army. Up side? 5th Ed has indeed put a breath of new life into them, and they are more viable now than in previous editions (except of the Seraphim, 4th was better for them than 5th).

So, I'm dusting off my little ladies, smiling at memories of my Legion, and still cringing at the sight of all those pretty little useless metal skeletons.

SJ

TheEndIsHere
25-02-2009, 02:49
Nis, got 128 gaunts, 8 genes, 5 rippers, 6 warriors, 2 carnies, 1 hive tyrant... and I hate it-.-

Plus having no job and being so young I think that was 2 year's earnings (including X mas and B-days)

D-End

holmcross
25-02-2009, 02:58
I consider my purchase of chaos space marine models to have been a mistake - I would have never of purchased and painted them had I known GW was going to gut the army of personality with the most recent codex.

I learned from my mistake: I'm holding off building upon my 2k necron army till I see whats in store for the crons in the next codex. They were my favorite army back in 3rd/4th, but I can't stand the way they play in 5th.

I kinda wished I held off on buying tyranid models, as well... I got into the army because I expected them to be a CC-orientated swarm army. I'm a little dissapointed that a shooty nid list is pretty much the most competitive build they have.

So I'm pretty much dissapointed with all my purchases at this point. I expect that Tyranids will be pushed towards a stronger CC orientation in the new codex, but I'm fairly certain Necrons will become a poor-man's death guard down the line. Gotta love USR's >_<

Creeping Dementia
25-02-2009, 03:32
I don't think it was really a mistake, more of a phase really. My first 40k army was Nids, and I had about 1500 points of them well painted and getting close to making the move to have a full 2000 points of painted Nids (with gaunt hordes too, not just taking the easy route with Nidzilla). Then for some reason, I got very interested in the Tau. Not really sure why, but they just had the tactical equipment I wanted, weren't marines, and the Piranha model is freaking awesome. So for Christmas like a year ago I got a Tau Megaforce, then a month later won a big RTT with my Fantasy Lizardmen, and got another Megaforce as a prize. Add a couple more tanks, a commander and a few more firewarriors and I'm up to 2500 points, and they'll be fully painted in the next 4-5 months or so. Just sold the Nids, so I can start my next painting/collecting project, a Sisters army (boy they are expensive), but they did do their job and got me into 40k.

orkz222
25-02-2009, 18:36
i consider my purchase of 1.5k pts Tau (3th ed) and fantasy 2k pts chaos warriors (6th ed) a mistake though I had sold the 2 armies. Suffer from the must buy 'shiny new models' disease which led me to buy the 2 armies... currently trying to resist the orkz models + stompa + nids FW giant bugs...

Dr.Clock
25-02-2009, 19:47
Neglected? perhaps...

Mistakes? Never!

I have had two tacticals, 4 rhinos, a falcon and a wave serpent sitting around collecting dust for over a year now.

I'm getting there... I swear.

I once bought a significant number of Fantasy Chaos stuff... thinking to get into a different system. All of that has since made it into my friend's CSM army... Good to see it in use at least - And facing down his converted Daemon Prince (from the original WFB one, Gazhkull, a Wraithsword and an old Khorne Hound scorpion tail...) is always a pleasure... especially when I gun it down with pathfinders.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Bellygrub
25-02-2009, 19:58
I bought 4 sets of Deathguard Marines Upgrades and 2 Sets of Deathguard Termi Upgrades from Forgeworld. I don't know if I consider it a mistake but I've never done anything with them to this point. Someday I plan on building the army.

isidril93
25-02-2009, 19:58
hmmm...my silverhelms (thank god im gonna use them as dragon princes)

Aegius
25-02-2009, 22:32
My Imperial guard army came to nothing. I had that paint.....paint.......paint buzz, but it never really came to anything. I'm hoping my love of all things Eldar will leave me for a few months when the new guard codex comes out otherwise my guard army is just going to be a random collection of kewl looking models. :(

Dr. Acula
25-02-2009, 22:37
Yep:

Wood Elves - bought the battalion and some other models, half of them still aren't made.
Necrons - thankfully only bought the codex
Bretonnians - same as Wood Elves

I also have the habit of buying too much at once so none of it gets painted. I'm planning on starting up again over the Easter holidays and with any luck will get the marines I bought last time I took it up again painted and ready.

subter1
26-02-2009, 00:54
I've just got into Warhammer, and I'm hoping to make the right choice on what I buy. I've been on the fence about what army I want for a couple weeks now; however, I foresee something like this happeneing to me, since I'm leaning towards armies that are more aesthetically pleasing.

starlight
26-02-2009, 01:06

Never happened to me.

Ship me all of your Ork stuff and I'll give them a good home. :D

hemogoblin
26-02-2009, 01:10
as far as 40k goes ive only ever bought one army that i regret, that was a 2000 point DH army. used them once. but luckily sold them and didnt lose too much money.

fantasy on the other hand. 4000 points of chaos, 3000 points of Ogre kingdoms, one HUGE skaven army etc.

Ravenous
26-02-2009, 01:20
Me I bought $500 of eldar stuff 4 months before 5th came out aka a few days before rumours started poping up.

I had it already put together when I came out of the studio to see the rumours, then after I tried it the army was full of suck.