PDA

View Full Version : looking for new army with a twist.

Crazed_monkey
02-05-2005, 17:09
Hi all,

Well after playing bretonnians for just over 5 years now I feel like I need a change, I'm looking for a rather 'shooty' army rather than an armour/horse intensive list.

After looking through some books and some sites, I've come to the conclusion I really like the Sea Patrol list! (don't kill me) Now I like this list because I like its style etc but is there anyway to make a list without being beaten and left for dead?

I'm not set on getting them by any means and I'm still looking for an army with the right look, basically a shooty army. Empire is out of the question as is a skaven shooty army but if anyone else has any ideas then voice them.

Peace out

Major Defense
02-05-2005, 17:46
The Sea Patrol is about as shooty as anyone could ever get with that Master of the Mists ability. The drawback is that you can't get any cavalry, chariots, Swordmasters, White Lions or Handmaidens. If you buy them and happen to not max out your RBTs then all it takes to beat you is an army of heavily armored Chaos Knights or something similar.

Sea Patrol is great at what it does but it's just a one-trick pony in that regard.

The boyz
02-05-2005, 18:02
Dwarves are great, they are just what you are looking for. They are totally different to Bretonnians. They lack movement. They are also very shooty.

Scythe
02-05-2005, 18:31
I'd agree. Dwarfs are the total opposite of what you play and are usually extremely shooty. Further, with your set restrictions, you could concider a Wood Elf army, or a shooty Dark Elf army without cavalry and big blocks of infantry. Or, if thinking a little more creative, a Lizzardmen force filled with skinks and salamanders (very maneuverable and lots of firepower at close range), or a Tomb King force filled with skeleton archers and screaming skull catapults (and maybe the casket of souls), who all fire twice a turn due incantations.

Crazy Harborc
03-05-2005, 00:25
I suggest checking out regular HEs. Hitting with their higher balistic skill plus a range of 30" will be good. The repeating bolt thrower will tear thru a T4 unit without having to guess the range plus roll a dice to add on as with a cannon.

Scythe
03-05-2005, 08:42
Unfortunately, I'm not impressed by the shooting capacity of regular HE. Bolt Throwers are nice, but archers are just a rip off. It's a shame that an army which once had a fearsome reputation for solid defense with archers, seaguard and bolt throwers is now limited to all cavalry or horde infantry tactics to win games, were archers and seaguard are completely worthless.

MarcoPollo
03-05-2005, 17:38
Have you considered Lizardmen.

You can really make that army a shooty army and the cold one's with cold blood leadership can fill your horse needs. If you really want to tool up you shooting/magic then take the Slaan and 6 salamanders with a whole bunch of skinks. If you get good with them (especially the all skink army) then you will have quite an army with a Twist. Besides they are a cool army to paint up too with neat colors schemes (very Aztec).

Crazed_monkey
03-05-2005, 17:55
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I hadn't even considered a lizardman army and I like that idea next chance I get I'll make sure I have a look at the army book.

I too wasn't impresse with regular HE shooting, they were great back in the days with two ranks shooting but now...bah!

Dwarfs aren't really my thing I played a bit with them when my friend collected them and hate the plastic models, although some of the metal ones are nice.

One question to any Lizzie players (since I don't have the book right now) can you field an all/ heavy skink army without using the back of the book southlands list? i.e. one thats tournemant legal?

thank again.

skoogiz
03-05-2005, 18:39
Go for the Dogs of War :)

Duelists with pistol are one of my favorite units in the game thay can circel around and shoot almost anything to pieces.

Anerian12
03-05-2005, 19:33
To answer your question about skinks, yes, you can have an all skink army without the southlands army, take skink cheifs,priests, normal skinks, chamelion skinks, salamders and even stedagons because they have skinks riders, and terradons.

Though, skinks are very rubish in combat, low WS,low strength, is not effective.

MarcoPollo
03-05-2005, 22:57
Skinks are ok but they are not a finisher. They are a core choice along with temple guard, suarus wariors and swarms. You can give them javelins or blowpipes. But they are pretty rubbish in combat.

I play Lizzie's a lot and my main army is quite shooty with some hard shock troops and a Slann Mage.

Here it is:
Slann 3rd Gen.
Saurus Hero
Saurus Hero on Cold one

2X10 skink blowpipes
swarm 2 bases

5 Cold one Riders (with totem of Huanichi)
3 Kroxigors
20 saurus with HW shield (not spears) mark of +1 AS

2x3 Salamander Hunting Pack

this gives me a good battery with a potent slann
by the time most of the units make it to my front lines they have been pounded so that a flank charge from a unit of cold ones or a front charge from a huge bus of saurus chrushes them.

Kroxigor work well with skinks as they can charge through the front screen of skinks.

Salamanders can move and fire and auto hit (good against skirmishers).

I don't like Temple guard (too expensive at 2k pts).

Terradons, stegadon and chameleon skinks are a players choice. For me, not so much, but others I know swear by them.

This Particular army of mine has the ability to finish off opponents after I get finished shooting them up. And a Slaan is a Cool piece to play with. I mean it is a giant "magical" toad.

Scythe
04-05-2005, 09:35
To answer your question about skinks, yes, you can have an all skink army without the southlands army, take skink cheifs,priests, normal skinks, chamelion skinks, salamders and even stedagons because they have skinks riders, and terradons.

Though, skinks are very rubish in combat, low WS,low strength, is not effective.

I don't agree here. An all skink army is one of the hardest armies to beat. Why? Because the whole army skirmishes! An all skink army is almost impossible to catch because skirmish an minimum movement of 6. Very, very nasty army indeed. And who needs combat when you fire 2 poisoned shots a turn?

Jedi152
04-05-2005, 10:12
The ultimate army with a twist: Clan Eshin.

All skirmishing and you get to use TEH |\|I|\|jA R/\TS11!!!!1!!ELEVEN!!1

Not much shooting though, just throwing stars.

McGonigle
04-05-2005, 20:18
Personally the only reason to ever use the southland list is to get skinks with bows (I have a number of those models), as the few advantages are no trade off for the increased saurus rarity

The all skink army does work very effectively, I regularly play with a force mainly consisting of the little creatures backed up by 1 or 2 saurus blocks (One of which to hide the Slann in) and some Kroxigors. The skinks are almost impossible to catch, and often even when caught the opposing unit is too far removed from the game to matter.
The Slann means you rarely have to worry about opposing magic as well as dealing some serious damage. (Steed of shadows on an Saurus hero is always fun) Although you need a decent block of saurus to protect the toad
You could do with some combat support, as skinks are abismal in Close Combat (Few units are worse) for this you probaly could do with something fairly mobile.
The surgested army list above is a good start, but personally I would go for far more skinks I have fielded armies with over one hundred of the creatures (In 2000 points) and preformed well (Although terrain and a decent sized board are a must)

Three Headed Monkey
05-05-2005, 12:54
If you come accross a fast and armoured unit you cant shoot to bits, remeber jungle swarms. These critters will not only hold up the toughest of units for a few turns, their poisoned attacks mean that they will take a few of the opponent with them.

Scythe
05-05-2005, 16:48
Terror is a thing to keep in mind tough. On the bright side, most creatures which cause terror are large targets and so are just screaming to be killed with poisoned blowpipes.

Crazy Harborc
05-05-2005, 23:04
I agree about the Skinks being a BIG pain in the a**e. I've fought three different Lizzie armies. Two had at least one good sized unit of Skinks and their blowpipes. Those units did hurt my army more than the Slann. A swamp filled with Skinks at the centerline are a big problem.

Scythe
06-05-2005, 09:59
Now imagine a whole army only made up of skirmishing skinks. Point is tough, would you enjoy playing with such army? (and would your opponents like to play against it). I'm not saying an all skink army is bad, but you should at least concider these things before starting one.

Crazy Harborc
07-05-2005, 02:44
I might enjoy pushing the army. I doubt I would enjoy fighting. If I knew it was coming I would have a terror causing something!!