PDA

View Full Version : Is warmaster balanced?

Nuada
16-03-2009, 14:35
I was just wondering if all the armies are roughly balanced in Warmaster. I remember seeing some GT results from a few years ago, and High Elves seemed to appear alot in the top 10. I've also noticed they've reduced the cost of dragon riders on the GW website, compared to the original book.

I've had one game against a Daemon army so far (victory for me), so i can't judge how powerful other armies are. I've already got an empire army painted up, i'll stick with it

Cpt. Drill
16-03-2009, 14:50
I would say that High elves are definatly in the top set of armies... its that leadership 10 and every unit type!

Dark elves are also very nast but not as bad as High elves i find

azraelezekiel
17-03-2009, 18:17
More balanced than Warhammer that changes every time a new army book is released.
That being said some armies are better than others.

I always recommend High Elves as a starter army as they are easy to move around the board and have good damage dealers.
Also they are easily available on eBay.

But it all comes down to a good general.
I can paste High Elves every game with skaven, tomb kings, vampires, lizards and daemons. But I can also take on most armies with High Elves (apart from dwarves??).

I find my playing style suits horde armies but I cannot play empire to save my life :)

I have also heard said that Tomb Kings are the ferrari of warmaster you either race ahead and wow the crowd or wrap it around a tree.
For 2 years I kept wrapping it around the tree and was on the brink of selling all 4k of it.
Then something clicked and now my regular opponent refuses to play against them.

TFGt
18-03-2009, 19:31
I play warhammer, 40k,epic,necromunda,inquisitor, LOTRs, and battle fleet gothic. I am now wanting to expand my gaming to include warmaster. I was thinking about araby, mainly cause they look so cool, i like the elephants, but are they a good army for beginners, or would any of you recommend going with another army first?

Dwarves seem to be selling a lot on ebay lately, would that be a good one to get? and also are their any rules for chaos dwarves? I play Chaos dwarves in fantasy so if there are I am going to be all over that, and if not, I will just paint up my dwarves to appear to be hashut's followers.

Ancre
18-03-2009, 21:24
I have not found any chaos dwarves rules yet ; I do believe they do not exist.

As for Araby, they seem to have a bit of everything (bar artillery and chariots) an ok leadership, and good hitting troops, so I am a beginner too but I think you can play them. Better see other people's advice though.

azraelezekiel
19-03-2009, 07:42
Dwarves are a good starter army.
As for chaos dwarf rules you need to look harder ;)

First entry returned from google
http://www.zharr-naggrund.poderna.com/zn/obj/pdf/cd_warmaster.pdf
I know there is a list with the playtest group.

Models for the CD's can be found at eureka minis.

TFGt
20-03-2009, 01:22
azraelezekiel...

I love you....

azraelezekiel
20-03-2009, 08:07
if you get any minis please psot pics as I am trying my hardest NOT to get these :cool:

Pugwash
22-03-2009, 05:07
In my view High Elves are a superior army. Factor the high leadership, bonus to shooting, re-cast magic and the ability to field cavalry, chariots, monsters and good shooting in large numbers and they surely have the edge over almost any other force.:eek:

However, as azraelezekiel says, the skill of the general is a far greater determinate of success in Warmaster than how an army looks on paper...

Gabacho Mk.II
26-03-2009, 21:56
Question:

What 'edition' is Warmaster in currently??

I have the original rulebook, but I dont remember reading any bonuses to HE shooting, or such, etc.

I assume that GW has re-written Warmaster twice now? Am I correct here?

Thanks.

azraelezekiel
27-03-2009, 09:21
WM is Version 2.2 but this is just for typos and slight changes to army lists.
As for High Elf shooting what is +1 to shooting if not a bonus?
This is stated quite claerly in the printed rules (Army list) and subsequent web versions of the rules.