PDA

View Full Version : Tale of 40K Painters, March 2009: Submissions thread #8, working thread #9

McMullet
01-04-2009, 10:53
DEADLINE: I've decided you all have to post by tomorrow. I think everyone has been slacking off a bit the last couple of months.

Har har, APRIL FOOLS! Um, anyway...

Please read this post before replying!

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the eighth 2008 Tale of 40K Painters monthly update extravaganza! We should all have some quite usable forces by now. I hope you're all enjoying watching each other's, and your own, armies take shape. Well done to everyone who's kept up the pace so far!

For those of you who don’t know what the Tale of Painters is, look here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155584). For those of you who are participating, this is the official thread in which you should post the work you have done in the last month (March). Over the next fourteen days, participants in the Tale should post the work they have done over the last month.

Please don't post anything else in this thread until the 8th of April! Let's have another go at that because I know people can't be bothered reading all this text, I mean it was here last month and some people still got confused. PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS THREAD UNTIL THE 8TH OF APRIL! Thanks.

Feedback, questions and so on should be posted in the current working thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181140) until the 8th, when this thread morphs into a new working thread. Regarding the deadline: Pretty much everyone who voiced an opinion preferred this deadline to be strict, so this month it is. If you haven't posted by the 14th, then you get a joker. If you have a decent excuse and are a couple of days late I'm sure we can make allowances, but the idea is to get us to paint stuff.

If you don't have pictures yet (because of camera problems or whatever) then it's OK to post to say what you've done and add photos later. The important thing is to get the painting done! I know that means that people can lie and pretend they finished something that they didn't, but hey, if anyone gets a big kick out of that then they're welcome to...

For your official monthly post, please try to follow the following guidelines:

You should include a description of each unit you have painted, including the number and type of models, and any upgrades or equipment they carry, followed by the total points cost of the unit. Please, DO NOT post the points costs of individual upgrades or models, as GW don’t like it and so neither, by extension, do the moderators. If you have painted more than one unit, give the total points cost of your monthly painting endeavours.

Next, please post photos of each unit you have painted, and of the army as a whole. Photos should be cropped or resized to around 1000 by 1000 pixels to avoid scrollbars and ensure the thread doesn’t take too long to load.

Try not to overdo the photos. The Tale is about showing off your work, but do it concisely - if everyone posts 13 different angles of every model they paint, that means the whole thread becomes massive and no one will look at any of it. Try to keep your monthly update to one post (6 pictures) and post links to any additional photos you wish to show - or better still, include a link to your painting log here if you have one, so that anyone viewing the thread who takes an interest can take a look and give you some feedback if they want to.

The rest of your post is up to you. You can say anything you like here, about what you enjoyed or found hard, what you were especially pleased with, etc., etc... Feel free to use this post (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1870139&postcount=11) as a template for your update.

If you have to play a joker, please post saying so, and include a suitably amusing image. If you do not post within the next 14 days, then you will automatically count as having jokered March.

Thanks for reading all that. I look forward to seeing your work!

Sam (McMullet)

Currect Stats:

41 Armies
(of which 33 are 40K, 6 are Epic and 2 are BFG)
92600 points signed up. So far, we have 58290 points completed, and have used a total of 46 jokers.

Last month we painted 8389 points and played 6 jokers.

34 Paint 1 army
2 Paint 2 armies
1 Paints 3 armies
37 Painters in total

By Faction:
2 (4.9%) Chaos Space Marines
1 (2.4%) Chaos Fleet
4 (9.8%) Daemons
3 (7.3%) Imperial Guard
1 (2.4%) Imperial Navy
1 (2.4%) Lost and the Damned
8 (19.5%) Orks
14 (34.1%) Space Marines
1 (2.4%) Squats
3 (7.3%) Tau Empire
3 (7.3%) Tyranids

In full:

aenimosity : 40K Tau Empire - . 808 of 1500 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Badgobbla : 40K Space Marines - Blood Angels . 2310 of 2000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
BLARGAG!!! : 40K Imperial Guard - . 3857 of 5000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Chicken_Funk : 40K Orks - . 885 of 1500 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Darnok : 40K Daemons - . 672 of 1000 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Discord : BFG Imperial Navy - . 1505 of 2000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Discord : BFG Chaos Fleet - . 1585 of 2000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Discord : Epic Orks - . 2550 of 4000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Doctor P : 40K Tau Empire - . 919 of 1850 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Drakemaster : Epic Space Marines - Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons . 2115 of 4000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Fredmans : Epic Tyranids - . 2275 of 5000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Fredmans : Epic Imperial Guard - Steel Legion . 2400 of 5000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
give_me_a_d : 40K Daemons - . 1198 of 2000 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Häxjägare : 40K Chaos Space Marines - . 1045 of 2000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Jim : 40K Chaos Space Marines - Pre-Heresy World Eaters . 1303 of 1500 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Jonahmaul : 40K Tau Empire - . 998 of 2000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
jpobrich : 40K Space Marines - Dark Angels . 1650 of 1500 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
kammek : 40K Orks - . 1647 of 1750 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
kenny3760 : 40K Daemons - . 1958 of 1500 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Khrangar : 40K Space Marines - The Emperor's Word . 827 of 1000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
lonepilgrim : 40K Space Marines - Blood Angels . 1035 of 2000 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Maalivate : 40K Space Marines - Ultramarines . 740 of 1500 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
McMullet : Epic Orks - . 1990 of 4000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
misterboff : 40K Orks - Deathskulls . 1176 of 2000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
Norsehawk : 40K Daemons - . 1273 of 2000 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Norsehawk : 40K Space Marines - . 2550 of 4000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
olean : 40K Space Marines - Blood Angels . 960 of 1500 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Overt_Spy : 40K Space Marines - Blood Angels . 550 of 1000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
plantagenet : 40K Space Marines - Imperial Fists . 876 of 1500 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Playwithbob : 40K Space Marines - Dark Angels-based . 1525 of 2000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
razormasticator : 40K Imperial Guard - . 1443 of 2000 painted; 1 joker(s) used.
Sheena Easton : 40K Orks - Deathskulls . 573 of 1000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
sigur : 40K Orks - from back when they were "Space Orks" . 1053 of 2000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Solun Decius : 40K Tyranids - Genestealer infestation . 771 of 1500 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
spikyjames : 40K Space Marines - Ultramarines . 2442 of 3000 painted; 0 joker(s) used.
ssorck : 40K Lost and the Damned - Slaanesh/Slaaneshi Daemons/Emperor's Children . 929 of 2000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
susu.exp : 40K Squats - Varyngr . 920 of 1500 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
swifty2 : 40K Space Marines - Imperial or Crimson Fists . 1430 of 3000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
The boyz : Epic Space Marines - Blood Angels . 2000 of 4000 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
warflag : 40K Orks - Mad Max/Heavy Metal theme . 745 of 1500 painted; 2 joker(s) used.
Zujara : 40K Tyranids - . 802 of 1500 painted; 2 joker(s) used.

Here are the full details for you to check: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pESR7KYmXMfKvysrjokKfLA&hl=en_GB

Häxjägare
01-04-2009, 14:29
UNIT: Chaos Land Raider

TOTAL PAINTING THIS MONTH: 220p

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1265

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Recently fallen Chapter with so far no name or symbol that have taken up Khorne as their patron god. A bit more sneakier then regular khorne crazed killers and they actually try to use tactics to win. Doing mercernary work and employing modified equipment to get the job done. The first squad is supposed to represent a more ranged like unit with extended barrels, this second squad is a more melee get stuck in, khornelike unit. Third unit, was supposed to represent a more mid-range unit that was giving fire support.

Now I'm onto my Land Raider for my Termie lord and his Termie HQ, they will be done within a couple of months!

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Nothing much, except for taking away all imperial symbols(eagles on tracks, stuff on the inside, etc). Alot of work that most people won't even notice!

PAINTING:
Quite happy actually, photos are improving. In some angels it looks like my highlights are too thick, but looks good IRL. Spent alot of time painting the inside only to not be showing it up, but that took alooot of time! Even highlighted and did some minor conversions inside.

BASING:
None!

STILL TO DO:
Once I figure out a chapter icon and or name, It will be added. Got no clue when that will be tho and will probably the last thing I do for my whole army. Same as last month, no progess yet.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs - Getting to paint something as nice as a Land Raider, I really hated painting tanks before the tale but I think I'm getting better at it.

Lows - While guling getting some glue on the door thingy and it snapped on one side when putting the tracks there, so had to pin the front hatch and cover it up with a piece of a hatch to not show the pin.

PICTURES

I know I promised a close up on my termie lord, took 5 pictures of him and none turned out good! Will fix that when the rest of his termies are done.

Front:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6248/bild001d.jpg

Side:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5893/bild006q.jpg

Open/front:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4572/bild013z.jpg

Army:
Rawr!
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4561/bild025.jpg

Chicken_Funk
02-04-2009, 05:59
Units
4 Lootas and 1 Mek
1 DeffKopta with missile launcher
1 Nob with Power Claw and Eavy Armor
Points 170

Total for the Tale 1055

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/ChickenFunk/month71.jpg

And someone asked for a closer pic of the Warboss from last month, so here he is!
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/ChickenFunk/100_1284.jpg

Next month will probably be some Burna Boyz along with some shoota or slugga boyz

BLARGAG!!!
02-04-2009, 18:28
Hey all. I have painted ABSOLUTELY NOTHING this month.

so, here is my joker...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2iTqu6NjE3g/SLmEuTsywlI/AAAAAAAAAAM/gZ7E7zYgq7w/s1600-R/joker037mpsc8.jpg

misterboff
02-04-2009, 22:02
misterboff's Deathskull Orks: March 2009

8 Warbikes

TOTAL PAINTING FOR FEBRUARY: 200 POINTS

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1381 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:
'...the Boneheadz family of Death Skulls once overran and plundered an Imperial penal colony, and wore fragments of convict clothing printed with black arrows for generations afterwards.' - Waaargh The Orks!

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The Warbikes were straight from the sprue.

PAINTING:
Ork Skin: Knarloc/Thraka/Camo
Face: Enchanted/Asurmen/Ice
Teef: Dheneb/Ogryn/Bone
Eyes: Mechrite
Pants: Chaos/Badab/Adeptus Battlegrey
Top: Astronomican/Badab
Straps: Adeptus/Badab
Metal: Boltgun/Badab/Mithril

The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third is a drybrush.

BASING:
No basing to do this month - hurrah!

STILL TO DO:
Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finishing these bikes means that I've now painted everything that I had assembled. After painting 4 Battleforces and 4 Loota/Burna boxes for the Tale so far, having just AoBR left to do means that the end is very much in sight...
Lows: The metal parts were a bit repetitive - even though I used a bigger brush than last month.

Next month, I make a start on AoBR...

misterboff

(Check out the To40kP - Orks WIP thread in my sig)

[Warbiker front, Warbiker side, Mob, Army to date]

Jim
03-04-2009, 18:46
TOTAL PAINTING: 3 Rhinos (for my Berzerkers and two Tactical squads). All have extra armour and dozer blades. 165 Points in total...

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1,468 points

BACKGROUND/THEME: Pre-Heresy World Eaters.

BUILD/CONVERSION: I used standard marine rhinos with Forgeworld extra armour and dozer blade add ons. One of the Rhinos uses the front plate from the old style rhino. I wished I'd had more as I would have done all three like this.

PAINTING: As before for the Landraider: Sprayed black, drybrushed grey and white and then further coats of thinned skull white applied to the flat areas...Blue bits are the blue foundation paint, highlighted with Ultra blue and washed with Asurman blue ink. Bit of mud/weathering around the tracks, which was just a mix of sand and grit drybrushed brown plus some Devlan Mud.

STILL TO DO: WE Legion transfers from BoLS.

HIGHS AND LOWS: I really have not done much this month as these were almost totally finished last month. Hopefully inspiration will strike so I can finish off the last couple of squads/tanks!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x209/14177L/WE3001.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x209/14177L/WE3003.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x209/14177L/WE3004.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x209/14177L/WE3005.jpg

Finally, I would like to hold my hand up and admit to being very poor when it comes to taking the time to comment on everone's work. :(

I will therefore def. be posting comments for everyone this month as soon as we reach the 14th. In general though the standard of everyone's work is noticeably improving and I am inspired by everyone's entries each and every month.

Jim

McMullet
03-04-2009, 20:01
McMullets Diminutive Greenskins: Month 7

~⅔ of a Gargant (with 2 Soopaguns and a Supa-Zzap Gun): ~430 points (220 counted last time, 650 total)

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY: 430 points

Month 1: Joker 1
Month 2: 512.5 points (corrected due to changed army list)
Month 3: 360 points
Month 4: 442.5 points
Month 5: 350 points
Month 6: Joker 2

TOTAL PAINTING SO FAR: 2420 points (target: 2400 points)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Background: Orks. Theme: Orks!
I'm trying to stick to the old fashioned, 2nd ed-era look for them, besides that it's just an army.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
100% Bog Standard.

PAINTING:
White undercoat for everything. Basecoat of scrofulous brown all over, drybrushed with Bald Moon yellow. Details picked out in black, in some cases then in Boltgun Metal. All over wash with Smokey Ink, then with Badab Black.

BASING:
Painted to look like a Mars-scape (terracotta, parasite brown, fiery orange and khaki). I was going to add a wreck Rhino but there isn't really space for it.

STILL TO DO:
Nowt!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
It's a shame I had to joker last month, but this model was great fun to paint in the end, and I'm pleased with how it came out. All good!

PICTURES

http://images.fotopic.net/y0306f.jpghttp://images.fotopic.net/y03065.jpg

Grot's-eye view:

http://images.fotopic.net/y0306s.jpg

Army shot:

http://images.fotopic.net/y03063.jpg

Not sure what to do next month; I should probably add the other 3 Gunfortresses to the Goff mob, but I could really do with more aerial defence, so I may have to scratchbuild some planes too (I'm sick of mrsurgeon's Thunderhawk assaults).

kenny3760
06-04-2009, 10:36
This month I got back into the swing of things and rattled out 15 plague bearers for the daemonhost. I'll be splitting these into 2 squads of 7 and 8 and each squad will have 1 with noxious touch which gives me another 245 points. The army is now over 2200 points.

Painting: Black primer from Halfords on all of them. I then base coated them in either dark Angels Green, Snakebite Leather or Codex Grey. After this it was a case of drybrushing and highlighting with colours as suited to the basecoat. I also used GW washes inbetween coats to blend it all together. The Blades were Boltgun Metal with a wash of Gryphon Sepia, highlighted with either mor boltgun or Mythryl Silver as I felt like it.

Bases: Simply sand with a basecoat of my watered down (B&Q) postbox red masonary paint. Drybrushed with a couple of Vallejo paints, Plague Brown and Dead Flesh I think, the names have rubbed off the labels.

I am starting work on one more Bloodcrusher and Skulltaker for next month. After that I'm not sure, the army has got a bit bigger than I anticipated, peobably because it's so much fun to play with, but I suspect it'll probably be a 3rd Soul Grinder as that will allow me to take the Daemon Prince and put him back into my Chaos Marine army.

As an extra I've put in a couple of pictures of a rhino and vindicator I've been picking away at for the chaos marines.

Now some comments, at which I'm not very good:

Haxjagare, Land Raider looks cool. It's good to see the inside done, not enough people do that, myseld included. The army is coming along nicely.

Chicken Funk: Well done on the Loota's, keep it going

Misterboff: Nice bikers, that whole army looks intimidating

Jim: I like those rhinos. The weathering looks like real thick mud caked on there, well done.

McMullet: Super looking gargant, well painted as usual. The detail on something that size is really impressive.

lonepilgrim
07-04-2009, 12:00
lone pilgrim's Blood Angels: March 2008

Unit 1: Techmarine with servo-harness and four servitors
Cost: 200 points

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3421182310_5b38f95ba1_o.jpg

TOTAL PAINTING FOR MARCH: 200 POINTS

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1235/2000 POINTS

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Put together straight out of the box.

PAINTING:
I painted the servo harness first with all the metallics and then moved on to the armour of the Techmarine. My understanding is that Techmarines leave their chapter for a considerable length of time to train with the Adeptus Mechanicus on Mars and then return with lots of knowledge but divided loyalties. This is reflected somewhat on their armour as they often incorporate the red of the Mechanicus with their own chapter colours. As the Blood Angels already have red armour I was left in a quandary.

I decided to paint the model in two different shades of red. The helmet and shoulder pads were painted in my regular Blood Angel colours but I painted the rest of the armour in a more muted red. Over the Mechrite Red base layer I painted Scab Red and then highlighted it by adding Bleached Bone. This turned out a little pinky but at least it was distinct from the orangey highlights I usually use. I washed the armour with Baal Red and Gryphonne Sepia to further set it apart.

I really enjoyed painting this model. I got him done very quickly over the course of six hours or so and it was very encouraging to see the results come together so quickly on a single model after a few months of painting entire squads.

The servitors were also a breeze in that there were only three main parts to the models; the metallics, flesh and suits and boots.

The metallics I did in the same way as the Techmarine and washed them with Devlan Brown and Gryphonne Sepia in addition to Badab Black. This made the metals look worn and used and very realistic. I painted chips of Mithril Silver on some parts to simulate battle damage and accidental knocks.

The clothing was also quickly done with just a base coat, highlight and wash.

I'm particularly proud of the flesh. I started with Tallarn Flesh and then mixed in Rotting Flesh for that pallid, unhealthy tinge. I added Elf Flesh to highlight the skin and then washed the lot with Ogryn Flesh. I then worked Red Ink around the places where the flesh met the metal parts to make it look sore and raw.

Just looking at the models now I can see I'm actually not 100% finished because I need to dot in the eyes. I'll do that later - it won't take long. I also need to add some transfers to the Techmarine.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Very happy with the finished result, especially since I'm back on schedule and they add a big 200 points to my total.
Lows: I know the unit will be rubbish on the table top but hey, they look cool!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3421182578_ffe4bf1dbe_o.jpg

The next unit on my painting tray will be my Terminators.

kenny3760
07-04-2009, 20:59
Lonepilgrim: That is a really nice looking army you've got there. The techmarine and servitors are well done. I also find the GW washes to be very useful.

A1TEC
07-04-2009, 22:48
Häxjägare : Where are the spikes. All Chaos tanks have spikes all over them.

Drakemaster
08-04-2009, 11:07
Epic Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons

Two Land Raiders - 200 Points

Total Points for the Tale so far - 2315 (6 months painting, 2 jokers)

Rush job this month - I'm off on holiday in two days, so didn't have time to get my full quota painted, and had to rush these guys to get them finished - They still need a few quick touch ups and detailing. Still, I'm less than 100 points short of my 2400 target, so shouldn't be too hard to make up the points over the next few months.

BACKGROUND/THEME:
I think the title says it all really - the forces of the Thousand Sons Legion prior to the outbreak of the heresy. The army will avoid using any pre-heresy vehicles (so no razorbacks, predator annhilators etc) and will use Librarians for characters, in particular avoiding chaplains as they were responsible for enforcing the Nicaea Edict regarding use of sorcerous power, which the TS were in the process of ignoring.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Standard OOP Epic:40K era plastic Land Raiders as they match the Forgeworld Pre-Heresy model. One is missing the 'fins' on the lascannons though as they broke off.

PAINTING:
Basic painscheme for everything is white undercoat, basecoat blood red, wash with thinned down red gore & black ink with a touch of washing up liquid, then highlighted up again. Details in black, gold, and silver, and markings in white.

BASING:
None on these guys.

STILL TO DO:
Various touch ups on the red and detailing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finished my Land Raider detatchment. What with the stuff I painted before the tale, I'm now a mere 200 points away from having a useable 3000 point army.
Lows: Rushed paintjob, crappy pics, and under target for this month.

PICTURES:
Rush job to get this posted before the deadline. Better pics of the whole detatchment will come later.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k184/Drakemaster_06/Epic%20Thousand%20Sons/P1010560.jpg

sigur
08-04-2009, 11:58
Time for comments already?

@Häxjägare: Nice work overall. I think that the reds look kinda bland at the moment. I think you should either highlight them or add some markings or at least a very simple heraldry pattern to the red parts. Anyway, good army you got there and I really like your terrain.

@Chicken_Funk: Nice Orks there. I like how you make the metals worn and weathered.

@BLARGAG!!!: Shame on you. :p

@misterboff: I think you should post pictured in here too. Your army is looking impressive by now. The Bikes really add to the overall looks.

@Jim: Very neat work. The mud looks great, how did you do it? Cool addition of the old Rhino front thing. One question: Shouldn't the stormbolters be two single bolters or at least more combi-bolter looking if it's pre-heresy? Oh, and I suggest to drill those muzzles. Do you have an army shot?

@McMullet: Nice to see that you managed to get more stuff done this month. Apart from that, I can't say much as I commented on your Gargant in your painting log already. Good work.

@kenny3760: Hmm, interesting choice of colours on the plaguebearers. Somehow works though. Can't say that I'm very fond of the current plaguebearers miniatures but you did a nice job there.

@lonepilgrim: The servitors flesh looks really good. Very much like the 'Eavy metal team do it at the moment. Apart from that, I agree with A1TEC; very nice army so far.

@Are these little white markings freehands or decals?

I'll post my update later (within the next few days).

Playwithbob
08-04-2009, 18:54
Playwithbob's DIY Space Marines: March 2009

Unit 1: Dreadnought Upgraded with: Heavy bolter
Cost: 110 points

Unit 2: Land Speeder Squadron
1 Tornado pattern Land Speeder w/ Heavy bolter and Plasma Cannon (counts as Heavy Flamer)
Cost: 60 points

TOTAL PAINTING FOR March: 170 POINTS

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1695 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:
The chapter symbol is a yellow sun with an inverted Y embossed in black. The sun represents the light that is the Emperor and the inverted Y are 2 hands pressed together in prayer.

Chapter Name is "Votum Miles militis" or Prayer Knights. Background is still being kicked around. Perhaps a successor chapter to the Mentor Legion that is charged with the keeping of the Astartes Military history museum.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
These old figs dont require building so much as cleaning. Many were painted and needed stripping before they could be worked. I decided against converting to preserve my collection in their original poses. While I could have chosen any space marines for this project, I limited myself for figures made before 1992. That date was selected so that I could include some terminators that I have in my army.

PAINTING:
I am a LAZY painter. I primed white then quickly brushed on a light coat of white over the entire fig. I blocked on the green then picked out the details on each fig. NO dry brushing, blending, highlighting, lining, or any other civilised technique. Once the color was blocked on and some touch up done where I noticeably went over the lines, every fig got the dip. I dip first in clean water then in water based min-wax wood stain. I have found this method works well for me on everything I paint.

When everything is dry (24 hours) I base the figs then seal with Krylon Matt.

BASING:
Elmer's glue with a little brownish green paint is slathered onto the base then the base is dipped in sand. I then apply a drop or 2 of super glue and sprinkle a little static grass for effect. The edge of the base is cleaned of any sand or grass then painted black.

STILL TO DO:
Clear coat on the Land Speeder once it stops raining. Attached a banner to the banner pole.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Not painting "guys".
Lows: Not painting "guys". Not finishing more of the 1/2 finished figs on my table. Itching to start my guard army before this project is done.

PICTURES
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012570.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012575.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012577.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012578.jpg

PAGE ONE
@ playwithbob – very nice old school stuff again, can we see an army shot?

Armyshot included this month. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment time:
@Playwithbob: It amazes me that you can find a use for all of your old models in the new Codex. They'll certainly stand out from all other Honour Guards out there.

Thanks. Its been a fun project. I'm pleased with how well most of the models fit as well.

@Playwithbob: You are so completely in a different time-zone! Such a funky and characterful army. Good stuff!

Thanks!

I like em to. I'm glad that I did not just go with a solid color.

[QUOTE=Sheena Easton;3391780]@ playwithbob: more nice work, though I think they would look better with gold guns instead of red?

Gold eh? Did you mean all guns or just the honor squad? I went with red for the weapons based on the old color wheel, opposite of green and all to make the contrast pop.

Playwithbob - I don't like those models. That is not your fault, and the painting is good, as usual, but I just don't like them...

That's fair. To each his own. I have never seen any pictures of the power glave guys anywhere else. The bolter guy can be found on www.solegends.com.

@Playwithbob: Very interesting project. I wonder what is coming up next. Good job anyways and it's good to see old miniatures. How tall are thse dudes in comparison with today's SM minis?

Thanks. I've meant to get to this project for years. As for whats coming next, well that's this post. next month will be either finishing a handful of half finished guys, or getting more guys half finished.

In general the RT guys are 1/8th to 1/16th inch shorter then the 4th edition starter box marines. Depending on stance and where the backpacks fit on the figs.

@playwithbob - Old skool again. I'd love to see these bad boys take on Sigur's Orks!

Old skool always for this project. If Sigur moved with the London Bridge then he is within a long drive. Perhaps one day we will meet up a a con.

Playwithbob - Every time a joy to see these old school models.

Thanks!

Playwithbob – Nice effective, if simple, paint job. Good to see you have the correct backpacks for those old timers!

Simple is good. I would have gone crazy, or only pledged like 500 points with a White Panthers scheme. I have tried to keep the models as original as possible. Some of the old metal figs are going to get (old) plastic backpacks though.

@Playwithbob: Whoah, very nice! Those old models are class (Mk I armour, right?).

Thanks. Yes Mk1 Thunder armour.The armor the original legions used to consolidate earth itself.

Playwithbob, I have a fetish for old models, and I like these very much. You pulled off thze gold real well, a bitch of a colour if you ask me.
Cool stuff!

Thanks. The gold is just reaper pro paint Dragon Gold slathered onto the right pokey bits.

Playwithbob
08-04-2009, 19:41
Comments!

@Häxjägare: I like the brown Is that a wash over white or a specific color?

@Chicken_Funk: Those orks are turning out well.

@misterboff: The bikes turned out nice. I have to wonder though, Are they slower then red ones?

@Jim: I really like your army. The white and blue is very clean. Your weathering looks good as well. I like how the mud turned out. My only thought is that if the tanks went through that much mud, something would have splashed up on top and higher on the sides.

@McMullet: That little guy looks like a good candidate for a cybernetic or mega armored boss.

@kenny3760: Back in the swing eh? I hope I can pull that off this month and get more then 2 or 3 models done.

@lonepilgrim: Very nice.

@Drakemaster: Nice detail work on those tiny little tanks.

Shonuff
08-04-2009, 21:55
Um, quick question,...

**EDITED**
Nevermind, found the question thread. GREAT MODELS AND PAINTING EVERYONE!

Love the vindicators. mmmm templates.

Norsehawk
08-04-2009, 23:27
Hey guys, It is with a heavy heart that I must Joker this month for both of my armies. I had a commission painting job come in and I have been focused almost solely on that. I did get some stuff painted this month, but not enough for me to submit it.

(if anyone wants to know, the commission is 33 chaos space marines in a Black Legion paint scheme (with blue accents))

Khrangar
08-04-2009, 23:48
I too will have to joker, unless I don't have to because I have over 800pts and it's month 8, so it works out. Like Norsehawk, I've been busy with commissions. I'll have stuff next month for sure.

Khrangar

BLARGAG!!!
09-04-2009, 13:22
Well if Khrangar doesn't have to joker, I defiantly don't have to. I am almost 4/5 of the way through painting the amount of points that I said I would, and it's only month 8 (actually, come to think of it, I finished my initial vow in like December....)

It's still no excuse for not painting ANYTHING in March

McMullet
10-04-2009, 15:32
Well, bit of a quiet month so far... Couple of days left to get in though. I guess people will be away for the Easter weekend so How about we leave everything open until the 15th, that should give people time to get ack from rainy holidays in the Lake District, etc.

Some comments...

Häxjägare: Nice job on the Land Raider - simple scheme and good subtle weathering. Look forward to a look at that Termie lord sometime!

Chicken_Funk: Great weathering on the metals! Nice detailing as well.

misterboff: Warbikers are looking excellent - perfect advert for the new washes I think!

Jim: Good call on using the front glacis from the old Rhino; it suits the new model really well. White is looking as smooth as ever, and more nice weathering!

kenny3760: Plaguebearers are looking very tight mate, the mix of colours is a nice idea. Good job on the vehicles too!

lonepilgrim: lovely job on the techmarine, the different shades of red are noticeable enough I think, even if they don't leap right out at you. The servitor flesh is very well done too, and the red wash around the joins is a good idea.

Drakemaster: Great job, I'm impressed by how much care you put into painting your Epic minis (I guess you don't have the luxury of slopping extra wash over your mistakes and saying it's an oil leak... :p).

Playwithbob: Great to see that old dread! It's a very cute model, but looks quite credible painted up. I can't help but think there's a bit too much dip on the Speeder though; it looks a bit like it's just been dragged out of a pond. The dipping gives everything a slightly weathered look, but I think this model might benefit from a thin layer of the original colour here and there. The army looks good together so far!

And some responses...

Kenny: Cheers man, I was pleased with how he came out. Somehow painting details gets easier on the smaller scale minis.

sigur: Thanks old chap.

Playwithbob: Could be, though the Gargant is probably a bit big for that. He's on a Dreadnought-sized base, so probably the mini would be better for a Killa Kan or something. The Supa-stompa (mini-Gargant), on the other hand, might well make a good Cyber-Boss...

TTFN!

Discord
10-04-2009, 18:11
Looks like I won't be making it this month. Only got about half of the orks assembled and haven't even undercoated anything. I'm not really too thrilled about touching them to be honest, since I've been painting teensy orks and far too similar-looking spaceships for the last seven months already. Luckily I've saved both jokers, so there's still a chance of me finishing this. Haven't really done anything miniatureish in a month, maybe I should paint something entirely different for a change to get back into that painting feel. Dunno. We'll see.

Anyhow, good work on the ones that made it this month. Looking at those makes me feel like an underachiever. :p

swifty2
10-04-2009, 19:21
Hey everyone, I accidentally posted this in last months thread so i suppose I should post here for convenience sake.

This month I have decided even though I more or less finished my squad for the month, i'm going to leave the tale for this year, it's been great however I feel like a break from the crimson fists for the moment as there halting other projects at the moment and I now feel there at a suitable point where I can return to them at any time I feel.

Thanks to everyone who said nice things and good luck to everyone who's continuing.

Playwithbob
10-04-2009, 19:41
I rarely post wip photos, but here is a preview of next month.

Tech Marines
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012579.jpg

Command Squad
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012580.jpg

Maybe more Dreads
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012581.jpg

And if I'm really ambitious, Terminators
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/Playwithbob/R0012582.jpg

After that who knows. Another Tac Squad or some Bulldog bike squads.

Sheena Easton
10-04-2009, 19:43
I have mine part painted - an unexpected stay at the hospital meant I simply wasn't able to do much painting and the unit clocks in at around 250 points which would mean I will be able to stay in the tale until the end as I'd be able to get April's and Mays done easily. So would it be alright if I posted a bit late?

kenny3760
10-04-2009, 19:55
@ Playwithbob: those models are just so damn cool, totally out there, would love to see them in the flesh, so to speak.

olean
10-04-2009, 21:44
March's Painting.

Eight veteran assault marines - halfway done! I realized that this squad would cost over 300 pts, making it the equivalent of two months' worth of painting. So it will fill the quota for March, even though the models are only assembled and basecoated. In addition to juggling painting, a very pregnant wife, and two kids, I have found the time to finish my gaming room in the basement - as well as refurbishing a new room for the baby. So I say that all is well for March!

UNIT: 8 veteran assault marines w/jump packs. 2 meltaguns, 1 power fist, 1 thunder hammer & 1 power weapon.

BACKGROUND/THEME: "No BS" BA

BUILD/CONVERSION: As usual a few different generations of marines mixed up and various bits. I like to let a bit of Citadel history show up in all my armies, and therefore mix and match older and newer models.

PAINTING: All parts undercoated with Fanatic Army Painter red spray, then a quick brush with Blood Red. Cables etc Charadon Grey. Guns and other metal parts Mithril Silver.

BASING: None, will do all in one go later.

STILL TO DO: Rest of the accent colours, as well as waterslide transfers and dip/brush with Badab black.

HIGHS: Finishing my gaming room in the basement - it's a dream come true!

LOWS: Realizing how many unpainted miniatures I have accumulated over the last 20 years as I carried them downstairs. Or, wait, that's another "High" ! Ok - no pics this month, as I'm out of a camera...

ARMY LIST: All infantry, much Jump Pack goodness.

give_me_a_d
11-04-2009, 09:11
Hello Everyone!

Everybody's stuff is looking good, I'll come back and comment in more detail later. This is me posting a Joker for this month. Sadly I have no real excuse but work has been a bit stressful and time consumming of late.

I have been trying to get my unit of Daemonettes finished and while they are coming along nicely I won't get them finished. There will be some pics up on my log soon. Until then I leave you with this...
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/give_me_a_d/HitchHikersGuide02.jpg

Jonahmaul
11-04-2009, 12:16
OK folks, I've been very quiet the last couple of weeks so apologies for that but here's my comments:

@ Haxjagare - Land Raiders are such cool models & an excellent addition to your army which is coming together very nicely now

@ Chicken Funk - excellent stuff again, Orks do look the bomb in Blue!

@ misterboff - that army is hugely impressive already & that's just the amount of miniatures you've managed to paint not to mention that the painting is awesome too (your army looks very much like the one i'm planning too, basically Speed Freak Deathskulls although I plan on using lots of Storm Boyz!)

@ Jim - awesome stuff. veru nicely painted & the weathering is excellent. really like that old rhino front too

@ McMullet - very nice looking Gargant

@ kenny3760 - very nice looking plague bearers, the different colours look really good as the muted scheme keeps them coherant (possibly unlike that sentance but I hope it makes sense!). That tank is excellent too, very nice & neat highlighting

@ lonepilgrim - awesome techmarine & servitors, i particularly like the one to the right of the marine (as you look at the picture), the transition from flesh to wires is very very good

@ Drakemaster - might be rushed but still looking good

@ Playwithbob - excellent old school stuff again, that dreadnought is particularly cool! nice looking WIP too

I think that extending the deadline a couple of days could be beneficial (especially to me!). I think we're getting to the point of the Tale that we can afford to be a bit more flexible to avoid people having to drop out. I am still aiming to get done by the 14th but some extra days may be neeeded!

kammek
12-04-2009, 04:38
Army: Orks 1750

Models done this month:
Kaptin Badrukk 135pts
11 Ork Boyz 66pts (seen in the bottom right hand corner of the army shot)

Points done so far: 1953/1750

Highs & Lows: I am really happy to have got enough boyz done for a full trukk squad. And I love the way my Kaptin turned out. Next month I think I will try to paint some Kill Kans & maybe the other Dread. (Sorry if the last pick is to big this is the first time I have put the pics in the message and not attached them.)

http://fc36.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/078/0/a/Kaptin_Badruk___Front_by_kammek.jpg

http://fc38.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/078/d/6/Kaptin_Badruk___Front_by_kammek.jpg

http://fc22.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/101/a/b/Army_Progress_April_by_kammek.jpg

Chicken_Funk
12-04-2009, 14:07
Time for some comments

@Häxjägare - Like the Land Raider. Army shot looks nice!

@misterboff - That is a lot of orks there!!! very nice

@Jim - I like the old rhino. is that a fantasy ogre belly plate on the dozer blade?

@McMullet - Nice Gargant. I really like the Grot's eye view!

@kenny3760 - I like how your PlagueBearers are all different colours instead of just
green. They Look nice

@lonepilgrim - very nice looking techmarine and servitors. been looking to add one of
these to my marine army. hope it will look as good as yours!

@Drakemaster - nice raiders. anything painted to some detail that small is really nice!

@Playwithbob - I saw your dreadnaught, without reading your post and thought 'How is that
marines!' But now I really like it!!! good job on the old school marines!!!!

@kammek - The Kaptin looks nice! may have to pic one of these up! Lot of orks in that
army shot, and they all look nice!

see you all next month!

eltanko
12-04-2009, 15:22
PlaywithBob - that is the greatest collection of Old Skool marines i have seen!!! fantastic!

1 question, in the terminators pic i have never seen anything like the 2 at the back before, have i missed something over the years?

ElTanko

Playwithbob
12-04-2009, 15:37
PlaywithBob - that is the greatest collection of Old Skool marines i have seen!!! fantastic!

1 question, in the terminators pic i have never seen anything like the 2 at the back before, have i missed something over the years?

ElTanko

Thank you.

As for the mystery Terminators. The 2 and 1/2 of them that I have ever seen have been in my collection only. I found them in a bits box back in 94. Game Town in San Diego would buy old minis by weight and pour them into bins to be ratted through.

The Terminators in question were pictured in the 1989 general Citadel Catalog. One of 3 different designs that didn't take. The were not featured in the trade catalogs of that year. So I'm not sure who from or where you would have been able to get them back then.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c894106marines.htm

eltanko
12-04-2009, 15:54
Thanks for the link Bob, those figures are fantastic! wish i could find a few gems like that. im currently tyring to buy some old style marines.

very impressed, looking forward to more pics.

ElTanko

The boyz
13-04-2009, 09:06
Hi everyone.Congratulations on completing another months worth of painting. Here is my contribution for this months To40K Painters.

TOTAL POINTS

This month is 325. Not quite the 400pts, I was aiming for each month. Mainly as, I couldn't find my last Dreadnought to paint.

BACKGROUND/ THEME

No background as such just a bog standard BA army for EA.

BUILD/CONVERSION

Nothing fancy just straight out of the box.

PAINTING

Same as before.

BASING

Again, same as before. Just sand painted black and then drybrushed grey.

STILL TO DO

Just got to paint the edge of their base's with Scorched brown and thats it.

HIGHS

Just glad to get them finished and hopefully get a game in with them.

LOWS

I do tend to find, my level's of motivation are still a bit hit and miss at the moment. Which does seem to effect the finish of the miniatures, as I tend to end up rushing them, just to get them done.

Here we go, here are my EA, BA's Termie's.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Theboyz07/TKPMONTH9PART2007.jpg

Jim
13-04-2009, 20:08
*Does lunges*...*touches toes*...*more lunges*...

Right...now I'm warmed up it's time for some replies and comments!

@ Häxjägare: Solid work on your LR - I like the addition of the Khorne symbol on the hatch...I agree with previous comments that your red looks a little flat...maybe some brown wash to shade would give a good effect without too much extra work?

@ Chicken_Funk: Your Orks are nice...In particular I like the Nob...is the head from Fantasy?...personally I would highlight the green skin slightly more but I know some people prefer it darker...Also thank you for your comments and yes that is an OK gut plate on the front of 1 of the rhinos...It looks pretty close to the WE Legion symbol to my eye, so I thought I would stick it on!

@ BLARGAG!!!: Sorry you couldn't make it this month - I'm sure May's efforts will more than make up for it!

@ misterboff: I like the blue Deathskull scheme...again I prefer ork skin slightly lighter, you have done a good job on it though...most impressive is the army shot...you have been a trooper plugging away at all those Boyz! Looks amazing..are you going to reward yourself with some fun stuff now?

@ McMullet: Lovely Gargant...What is fantastic is all the detailing on the armour with checks, glyphs, flames and Bad Moons...great work...I do feel the base needs something though as it looks a little plain?...maybe just some troops if the rhino looked too cluttered???

@ kenny3760: I like your plague bearers in different colours...they look less uniform which I think works well...Thanks also for your comments on my submission this month...

@ lonepilgrim: Loving the techmarine and servitors they are really good...the metallic areas are ace...do they have a blue-ish tinge to them or is that just the photo/my eyes??!!

@ Drakemaster: I'm always impressed how much detail you get onto your models...the Legion symbol on both tanks is spot on and must only be the size of a full stop!

@ Sigur: Thanks for your comments...the mud is a mix of fine sand, grit and PVA glue pasted onto the tank before undercoating. Sprayed black and then drybrushed up from Calthan Brown to Deneb Stone and then given a wash of Devlan Mud...You are right about the bolters...have to admit that had not crossed my mind until now...@rse!!!...I will get an army shot next month...

@ playwithbob: I love the old school models...Makes me very nostalgic *wipes tear from eye*...anyhoo...You have a strong colour scheme and them and the army shot looks great. Thanks for your comments...maybe World Eaters only drive their Rhinos through shallow muddy puddles??!!

@ Norsehawk: I suppose work must come first...Do you think you are in good shape for next month?

@ Khrangar: As above...I'm looking forward to seeing more stuff from you next month...

@ McMullet: Thank you!

@ Discord: Good luck for next month!

@ swifty2: Sorry to hear you leaving the tale...I guess its best not to struggle on if you are not feeling it...

@ olean: Pictures???

@ give_me_a_d: Don't worry...quite a few people seem to have caught 'Month 8 Fatigue'...looking forward to seeing th Deamonettes once they are done...

@ Jonahmaul: Thank you!

@ kammek: The new Badrukk model is a great sculpt and you paintjob makes it look even better...loving the treasure map loin cloth and overall I'm very impressed!

@ The boyz: Solid work on the Termies...I really like EA and I'm glad we have a couple of people doing them in the Tale this year.

Right - I'm off for a lie down after all that...overall great work this month amd hope that those who could not enter this month are back with a bang in May!

Jim

misterboff
13-04-2009, 22:35
First of all, it's comment time:

@Häxjägare: The Khorne symbol on the front is a great touch, and the interior looks very nice. It sits well with your other vehicles.
@Chicken_Funk: Lots of blue is always awesome, and your Black Orc Nob turned out good as well. I love the rusty look to your Warboss's wargear.
@Jim: Awesome transports, and once again the weathering is amazing.
@McMullet: Waaagh! Who needs Stompaz when you can have a Gargant? The checks and glyphs look good, and the Grot's eye view is a cool idea.
@kenny3760: Your Plaguebearer's look nice and diseased, with a good variety of nauseous colours. The Rhino looks cool too.
@lonepilgrim: Great job on the Servitors, and I love that Techmarine model. The two shades of red look very effective too, as do the black/white symbols.
@Drakemaster: Little Land Raiders rule! I'm very impressed with the amount of detail you've managed to fit in.
@Playwithbob: Cool Dreadnought and cool Land Speeder. The Plasma Cannon is huge!
@kammek: Badrukk is awesome and it's great to see you've got some Boyz done to go with the Truk Boy Nobz you painted ages ago.
@The boyz: Teeny tiny Termies rule! The freehand chapter symbols are very cool.

Secondly, this month I will be taking it easy, and painting just 2 models:
Brainspilla Bonehead (Warboss w/Bosspole, 'Eavy Armour, Kombi-Skorcha and Power Klaw)
Da Joka (Weirdboy Warphead - Forgeworld Ork Skwadron Kommander model)

I made the Kombi-Skorcha by simply adding some spare Burna bitz to the Warboss's Shoota. After getting most of my 'basic' Boyz finished I'm really looking forward to taking my time on something a bit more interesting.

After this, I've only got the rest of AoBR (5 Nobz, 3 Koptaz, 20 Boyz) and a Truk to paint for the Tale. What's everyone else got left to do?

misterboff

[Kombi-Skorcha, HQ to paint this month]

Jonahmaul
14-04-2009, 08:39
@ Kammek- very nice stuff & you're right to be proud of that Kaptain as it's awesome, very nice display for the army too

@ The Boyz - nice looking termies

@ misterboff - nice looking stuff, i'm looking forward to seeing it painted. that scorcha is particularly impressive as it looks like some Mek has just lined up the scorcher to the slugga & hit it with a hammer till it fitted in place, very Orky!

umm, as to what I've got to paint I got lots - couple more tanks, more battle/stealth suits, pathfinders & loads more fire warriors! I've got too many points for this Tale though so not sure what I'll do at the end of this Tale. I'm starting a Master/PhD in September so not going to have a lot of time for painting so just going to stick with one army which is going to be my Brazen Claws.

jpobrich
14-04-2009, 11:31
jpobrich's Dark Angels

UNIT: Chaplain (no additional wargear)

TOTAL PAINTING THIS MONTH: 100 points

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1750

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Metal fig, meet plastic arm. Ta da!

PAINTING:
Pretty much as usual, although I had to come up with a different recipe for the black armour. I'm not a big fan of extreme highlighting, so I guess it worked out.

BASING:
I used a resin base from GW.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs - I think he turned out okay.

Lows - As far as the company goes, the Chaplain is optional in the Apocalypse formation. So as far as completing my stated goal, this month wasn't so good.

NOTES: As far as the company goes, I have three Rhinos and a Razorback yet to do. I reckon that's enough for two or three months of painting. I may also do a Dreadnought.

PICTURES:

razormasticator
14-04-2009, 12:28
I will post my progress later this evening. Sorry I think I am going to have to joker as I did not finish what I thought I would get done.

Fredmans
14-04-2009, 17:43
I will post my progress later this evening. Sorry I think I am going to have to joker as I did not finish what I thought I would get done.

You still have a whole day (as of post #20). I will use tomorrow for bases and company markings before I post. You can do it, razor, don't masticate.

Well, bit of a quiet month so far... Couple of days left to get in though. I guess people will be away for the Easter weekend so How about we leave everything open until the 15th, that should give people time to get ack from rainy holidays in the Lake District, etc.

/Fredmans

razormasticator
14-04-2009, 17:48
I will try man. I think I am ahead in points, so maybe I can just get the squad done and I can post that and put the Baneblade off till next month. It still has a boatload of weathering to be done.

Sheena Easton
14-04-2009, 19:22
Sheena Easton's Fabulous Orks

Painting For March
* 1 x Big Gunz Battery consisting of 2 Kannonz, 3 Extra Krew, Runtherd and 2 ammo runts 62 points

Total 735 Points (/ 1000 Points) + 2 Jokers

Building / Conversion:
A bit of a bitz box raid on this one.
One of the Kannonz is partly made from the old Splatta Kannon with orc boar chariot wheels, the other is an old Empire Hellblaster with wheelz & ram from old trukk and a couple of Goblin & Marauder shields. Various orc / goblin shield glyphs used for decoration.
The Runtherd is from the old Squig Katapult model.
The ammo runts are old runts from the RT days
Three of the crew are 2nd Ed Big Gun crew, two are gnoblars (one with goblin head) with added bitz, one is an old plastic night goblin with added bitz, one is a classic Kev Adams Night Goblin Banner Bearer with the banner swapped for an old hand flamer, the final one is an unconverted KEv Adams Night Goblin musician.

Painting
The usual basic and rather sloppy work, and like the previous Grots they have the bright blue face paint.

Basing
Still to do

Still to do
Basing, some small details and bits that I missed.

Highs - After finding the bitz, these only took about 90 mins in total to build and paint. I must also thank sigur for the inspiration as he was talking about the classic Smasha Gun somewhere which reminded me I had one and a box full of bitz that I was keeping for making Big Gunz. I also discovered most of a Zzap gun and enough bitz for the basics of 3 Lobbaz. Completion of this unit means that with next months planned submission, I should be finished before May meaning I won't have to drop out as I thought last month (though will probably still try and sell the army anyway).
Lows - Couldn't get anything really done this month (see earlier in the thread) and didn't want to rush my planned unit, couldn't think of anything to make a third Kannon from.

This months work
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1288/month8.jpg

An army shot should be following in the next few days - or at least a better picture thatn this one as they don't look *that* bad in real life...

warflag
14-04-2009, 21:27
Folks!

Reporting for duty.

Again I will bring my pics late, tomorrow if time allows. My job really sucks up time these days, but thankfully by the end of the tale things will be a bit more relaxed.

I check in with ten gretchin, the bully and the third kopta. Makes up for 110 p or so.
The kopta comes with twin bazukka and mega killa saw.
Be sure, I did as I had to! The grots are as previewed gimpy emos :D
And the kopta... I friend made this awesome suggestion. I have gathered some really cool ideas in my log and peolple contributed hillarious ideas. But this, at least imho, was the best.
It took some time, some paint, and some glued together fingers, but it´s worth waiting. I´ll just say: Randy Rhoads!

Right, I check back with pics.

Cheers
Bart

sigur
14-04-2009, 23:03
Da Old Boys by sigur

TOTAL PAINTING FOR FEBUARY: 201pts
(quite a lot of random stuff this month)
2 Buggies with t/l Rokkit Launchas, red paintjob - 80pts
2 Ammo Runts - 6pts
1 Kommando with Flamer - 25pts
2 Nobs ('Eavy Armour, Cybork Body, Power Klaw/'Uge choppa) - 90pts

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1255pts (aim: 1200, 2 Jokers used)

BACKGROUND/THEME: 1st/2nd edition Space Orks.
Goff Warband got lost in the Warp long ago, remerges, teams up with a Snakebite warband to go looking for Ghazgkhull.

BUILD/CONVERSION: No conversions on the Nobz, Runts or the Kommando.

The Buggy with the original crew is the one I've had for a looooong time now and it's been repainted three times now (1st: 2nd edition paintjob as the 'Eavy Metal team did it, 2nd time: Gorkamorka style when Gorkamorka was released, 3rd time now) so it's been a little dented. Had to fix some stuff, redo the gunner as he was scattered and vanished) and redo the gun.

As for the other Buggy, I wanted to use a diferent crew. This meant that I had to make the whole thing longer and the gunner's position a bit elevated due to Ork models all hunching except for the Buggy's gunner who is about the only Ork in existance who's standing totally upright. This meant some plasticard converting. All in all, I'm really proud of this one. Also chopped off the side flaps of the front armour to make it look even slimmer and longer.

PAINTING:The painting on the Kommando and the Runts was a quick and dirty job, all three took me a day in total (I got and did them the same day).

Painting the Nobz took a bit more time, also because I did the whole mob in more or less one go. On these I tried a new way of highlighting, considering light sorces instead of good old edge highlighting. Especially on black parts, this is quite experimental. Tell me if I failed or not. :-)

Painting the Buggies took me ages but I'm pleased with the paintjob. Thanks to the guys over at my painting log for the suggestions on the freehands and the motivation of course.

BASING: Again, nothing new there. But guess what, when I returned from London for christmas, I had to realize that my mom had cleaned out my room and binned my awesome tunisian basing sand I had collected in 2001! Now I'm stuck with quite grainy terrarium sand.

STILL TO DO: Banners (as always). Large, Goff-y freehand on the front of the Buggy with the original crew. Maybe some touch-ups on the Nobz.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
High: Got much stuf done, finally found a way that works for me to do proper rivets, first plasticard experiment that actually worked, first vehicles done for my Orks army, seeing the buggy with the new crew finished, having used a new highlighting technique.
Low: Everything took very long and I had some "low days" but all in all, no major lows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/buggy2finished.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/buggy1finished.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/nobz1finished.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/stuffzfinished.jpg

Again, no army shot, sorry. Maybe I can take one later this month or next month or something. By the way, as for next month, I will post the rest of the Nobz mob including their Painboy. Cheers!

Darnok
15-04-2009, 05:02
Darnoks 40K Daemons - Painting of March 2009

Unit 1: 5 Daemonettes of Slaanesh, including an icon - 95 points
Unit 2: 4 Flamers of Tzeentch - 140 points

Total painting this month: 235 points - earning back one joker :)
Total painting so far: 907 points (of 1000)

Modelling and painting

All models are onconverted, apart from some smooth GS work on the arm joints of the Flamers. Painting was pretty straightforward too; the Daemonettes were painted like the first five (actually I can only show a group shot of all ten of 'em...), and the Flamers had a "complimentary colours" theme for them. In the end I'm quite happy with the results, even though my photo skills still have not improved.

Highs: Getting those points painted, earning that joker back, and the final look of the Flamers

Lows: Building those #§%& Flamers... and again not having that damn battle report done. I'll get it online... this year... I promise... :cries:

Pictures

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff337/Darnok_2008/Dmonetten_1.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff337/Darnok_2008/Dmonetten_2.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff337/Darnok_2008/Dmonette_Ikone.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff337/Darnok_2008/Flamer_1.jpg

Edit: More pictures are to be found in my Plog (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3474315&posted=1#post3474315).

Fredmans
15-04-2009, 11:37
Fredmans' Epic Tyranids:

Painted this month: 425 points
Infestation Group: Synapse Node (125)
Bio-Artillery Cluster: 2 Dactylis (150)
Bio-Artillery Cluster: 4 Biovores (150)

Total Painted: 2700

Background/Theme: A continuation of my Anphelion-inspired colour schemes. The Dactylis were painted predominantly brown, the Synapse Node and Biovores predominantly green.

Build/Conversion: The Biovores and Dactylis were straight out the blister. The Dactylis are from the first range of Tyranid models, the Biovores from the Epic 40K release, hence more detailed. The Synapse Node was based on one of the Macragge terrain pieces. One piece was broken so I added a 40K Devourer gun instead.

Painting: All my tyranids have a basic Bestial Brown->Khaki colour and the carapace is either Catachan Green->Camouflage Green or Dark Leather->Vermin Brown. The Biovore guns were based on a mixture of Catachan Green and Khaki, given a dirt ink and built up from there.

Basing: Not much, but pretty straight-forward. Sand painted in scorched brown, drybrushed with bone white and then patches of static grass.

Still to do: With these, nothing right now. Maybe I will do vehicle bases later.

Highs and lows: The biovores are great models and I highly recommend them.

Pictures:

Synapse Node (immobile synapse, possible to garrison, guard objectives, act as a rallying or spawning point and baby-sit artillery)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars1.jpg

Dactylis: Long-range (for Tyranids) bio-artillery.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars2.jpg

Biovores: Short-range bio-artillery.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars3.jpg

Army-shot: The Genestealers had hid themselves so I forgot them. Let us pretend they are scouting ahead of the main force.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars4.jpg

Next month: I am really busy, but I will try to catch up on some infantry and finish my Raveners.

/Fredmans

Fredmans
15-04-2009, 11:46
Fredmans' Steel Legion:

Painted this month:
Super-heavy Tank Company: 3 Shadowswords with Commissar (500)

Total painted: 2900

Background/Theme: This is the 1st company of the 41st Armoured Regiment, the Russes being the 2nd company. The company is nick-named "Cerberus" after the three-headed guardian of the mythological river Styx.

Build/Conversion: No conversions. These are Forgeworld Shadowswords.

Painting: The pattern is consistent to earlier entries. Grey being built up from Adeptus Foundation Grey to Fortress Grey. The yellow stripes are built up from dark grey/dead flesh->pure dead flesh. The commissar tank is given a darker appearance by starting from shadow grey/black->pure shadow grey.

Still to do: I have to finish the fine highlights of fortress grey as partly seen on the 1st tank. I also want to paint a Cerberus symbol as well as paint name plaques. I was thinking of the following names: "Vigilant", "Relentless" and "Indomitable". I find them appropriate for guardians, but I thought I'd check it out with the English native-speaking community first.

Highs and lows: Great miniatures.

Pictures:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/guardsmars1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/guardsmars2.jpg

Army-shot coming later.

Next month: Aircraft and air defence.

/Fredmans

Darnok
15-04-2009, 15:31
I posted some more pictures on my Plog (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3474315&posted=1#post3474315), especially the Flamers get some more attention with detail shots of each of them. I will also post comments soon. Great work everyone so far!

razormasticator
15-04-2009, 15:44
Hey gang, I will have my photos up tonight.
Thanks

Fredmans
15-04-2009, 16:07
Great work everyone so far!

Having painted to the very deadline, I can only second Darnok's comment for the moment, but I will write individual comments tomorrow.

Looking through this month's thread, what strikes me most is not individual entries but the collective commitment to seeing this project through. It is an almost tangible force radiating from the monitor. Great work everyone.

/Fredmans

Jonahmaul
15-04-2009, 18:59
@ Sheena Easton - pictures are blurry but looking pretty good. you need to sort that basing out though!

@ Warflag - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

@ sigur - those Orks are absolutely gorgeous, they're so smooth yet still very Orky (if that makes sense?!)

@ Fredmans - cool Epic stuff, I particularly like those tanks

@ McMullet/everyone (as it's all our Tale!) - can I have a few more days please?! I don't want to have to drop out but time is effectively up & I ain't finished, I hope to be finished by the weekend or early next week, I know this will make me almost a week late but I really do want to get this army finished (i'm thinking of dropping one of my Fantasy armies as I'm really struggling with three armies, bit of more than I could chew & it's really starting to tell now, as soon as I lose a little bit of motivation I suffer big time & find it even harder to get the motivation back).

Solun Decius
15-04-2009, 19:06
Allright guys. I'd like to thank everyone for nice comments on last month's thread. The pool was from a little accident with Blood Angel Orange but it's nice it could spark your imaginations and add to the photo, hahaha!

I'm dropping out now! I actually decided that a couple of weeks ago but haven't been on the recreational part of the internet lately.
This tale really helped my get this army going and while I had plenty of time I could do other projects and then use the deadlines to press the stealers. However, for a few months now I've sort of only had time to do the stealers OR something else and it's just not fun anymore when you have to postpone fun projects just to get these 150 pts done.
Lately I've also been kind of completely out of hobby time. My band just signed with a label to release and distribute our record so there's going to be a whole lot of promotion and practicing to be done (besides day job and family :eyebrows:). Excuses excuses! Get off you fat ass lard ball!
The stealers will go on, just not as fast, and I'll follow these threads to see your progress and maybe post progress on the stealers here, even though I'm officially out of the tale.
I hope all of you get all the way to the end here and I'll be cheering you on!

SD

razormasticator
15-04-2009, 19:08
Johnah, I would just post what you have done Bro that what I have been doing. As long as it meets the 2-3 coats of paint table top standard... I think your good. Then later on when you finish it, you just add some additional photos. Its best I can do with a family, full time job and grad school nights. The fact that I am still in this is something else.

So yeah, thats what I would do man. If everyone is cool with that.

Doctor P
15-04-2009, 19:51
Hey guys, I'm also dropping out due to work commitments, I tried to get some stuff done this month, but only got about halfway through. I want to thank you all for your encouragement, plus McMullet for organising it. Without this thread I'd probably still have a grey army!

I hope to be back painting in a month or two and I promise to keep you updated about my progress.

Good luck to everyone left in the tale, keep on painting!

Fredmans
15-04-2009, 19:55
@ McMullet/everyone (as it's all our Tale!) - can I have a few more days please?! I don't want to have to drop out but time is effectively up & I ain't finished, I hope to be finished by the weekend or early next week, I know this will make me almost a week late but I really do want to get this army finished (i'm thinking of dropping one of my Fantasy armies as I'm really struggling with three armies, bit of more than I could chew & it's really starting to tell now, as soon as I lose a little bit of motivation I suffer big time & find it even harder to get the motivation back).

I am principally against principles, so I would rather have you in than out, Jonahmaul. Seems a bit stupid to throw you out, after all these months. On a side note, I tried doing three armies, only managed two every month and had to joker something every month. After dropping out of the Fantasy tale, I suddenly felt such a relief and the motivation came back. I think you should drop an army for your own sake.

Allright guys. I'd like to thank everyone for nice comments on last month's thread. The pool was from a little accident with Blood Angel Orange but it's nice it could spark your imaginations and add to the photo, hahaha!

I'm dropping out now! I actually decided that a couple of weeks ago but haven't been on the recreational part of the internet lately.
This tale really helped my get this army going and while I had plenty of time I could do other projects and then use the deadlines to press the stealers. However, for a few months now I've sort of only had time to do the stealers OR something else and it's just not fun anymore when you have to postpone fun projects just to get these 150 pts done.
Lately I've also been kind of completely out of hobby time. My band just signed with a label to release and distribute our record so there's going to be a whole lot of promotion and practicing to be done (besides day job and family :eyebrows:). Excuses excuses! Get off you fat ass lard ball!
The stealers will go on, just not as fast, and I'll follow these threads to see your progress and maybe post progress on the stealers here, even though I'm officially out of the tale.

SD

Your entries will be sorely missed, Solun Decius. Please do drop in for some cheers and comments as we work towards the finish line.

razormasticator
15-04-2009, 20:09
Damn, they are dropping like flies! Doctor P, Solun Decius you will indeed be missed.
I wish you luck SD with your band though, and Mr. P your a good painter as well as SD is.. Your contributions to this thread will be sorley missed.

razormasticator
16-04-2009, 03:14
Well here it is. Alot going on, not a ton of painting but I think there is enough here to keep me in the log one more month and away from the final joker.

March PAINTING:

Squad #1(still needs to be finished up about 95% done, all it needs now is detailing and some highlighting)
Squad #2 (about 75% done, needs details, highlights and washes etc. Finish basing)
1 BaneBlade, this is table ready. I still have a boatload of weathering to do, but figured I would put in here as my offering since its table ready.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR March: 250 POINTS

Assembly for March- Stormblade & Squad Charlie of 1st Platoon.

TOTAL ARMY SIZE:
1 Regimental Command Squad
1 Hardened Veteran Squad
1 Fire Support Autocannon Team
1 Superheavy Macharius VMB
1 Commissar

1 Baneblade
1 Junior Command Squad
Squad Alpha
Squad Beta
Assembly for March- Stormblade & Squad Charlie of 1st Platoon

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Both las cannon turrets, the main turret, the main gun and the heavy bolter turret & Heavy stubber on the Baneblade are magnetized. I did the camo netting myself. Weathering has begun, using the sponge method from IA:Masterclass as well as some graphite rubbing, Still so much more to do. Moving forwards I will take it easy a bit with the sponge, I overdid it a bit with the sponge but can correct it with the final white coat I will be giving the tank.

Assembled Stormblade, is about 90% done, needs 1 sponson, then magnetization for the las cannon turrets and other misc details.

PAINTING:

Fully completed Junior Command Squad, did some work on Squad Alpha, and Beta. Assembled and based Squad Charlie. Need to remove some mold lines etc before priming.

STILL TO DO:
Highlights and some other misc details on Squad Alpha
Highlights, touch up, details and finish the bases on Squad Beta
Mostly weathering left of the tank, its fieldable.

What’s Next: Finish first 1st Platoon I will be focusing on my infantry exclusively for April. This means all 3 squads done for the May posting as well as the 2 remaining Heavy Support Squad Autocannon Teams.

Then wrap up the Baneblade and the Sentinels (this is being overly optimistic)

March Total: 250 (ie half the baneblade)

Baneblade Right Side:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0015-1.jpg

Baneblade Left Side:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0017-1.jpg

Squad Alpha 95% done:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0001-3.jpg

Squad Beta 75% done:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0003-3.jpg

Squad Charlie: Assembly & Basing:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0005-3.jpg

Stormblade Assembly:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0007-2.jpg

Fredmans
16-04-2009, 10:21
Right, so now I am set to begin next month's painting, but first I would like to spread some encouragement to all participants in the tale.

@häxjägare: I think it is a splendid centrepiece to your army. I still shudder at the thought of painting 40K tanks, so many flat areas. I think you have done a marvellous job, and I also see some improvement. Practice makes perfect. Oh, and of course we can see the interior, you made sure of it by taking that shot :D No better feeling than a COMPLETE paint job.

@Chicken_Funk: Your orks look properly dirty and gritty. Nice details on the big gunz. You ork painters are really working hard. Horde armies and tales must be an extra strain.

@Blargag: Hope to see you back on track next month.

@misterboff: Speaking of horde armies, that is a very impressive war horde. Great to hear that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I was there. Really smooth work on the blue areas.

@Jim: Your army is really full of character. Your weathering is superb and the white armour is really well done. Cannot wait to see what is next.

@McMullet: I always thought I preferred the old gargants, until I saw a recent picture of one. I am now a new gargant convert, and you did a great job on this one. I think the Smoke ink is working great for you (assuming you keep using it). It makes the yellow less clown-ish, but still yellow. Plus, it really feels good putting down a painted titan on the table.

@kenny3760: At first, I was a bit confused about the Rhino. I thought daemons was deep striking, but then I realized that you were already working on allies. Some people have time to work on side projects... :wtf:
I think you have chosen good colours for your plaguebearers. They look cohesive as a force without looking uniform. Great job.

@lonepilgrim: At first, I thought the models looked marvellous, but also that they looked a little out of place compared to your other marines, but then I took my time to read your thoughts and I love the result. It is hard working with two different reds and avoid it being cluttered, but you pulled it off. Another great entry and that army is really looking great.

@Drakemaster: It is great to hear that the plastic Land Raiders are pre-Heresy. I always wondered what I should do with my four ones :D Now I know. Your freehand and details are impeccable, as always. Glad to hear that you are close to the magic 3000.

@playwithbob: This month proves that your marines have been away a long time. That dreadnought is far out. Your force is a Rogue Trader museum. You should charge people for entry before playing them. Btw, your WIP pictures are extremely interesting. I think I have never seen those Terminators before.

@Norsehawk: Well, you certainly were not lazy this month. Good luck on the commission and see you next month again.

@Khrangar: Likewise, see you again soon.

@Discord: I am amazed by the pace and quality of your painting so far. I think you deserve a joker (or three) ;) See you next month.

@swifty2: Thanks for having been part of this tale. Good luck with your painting.

@olean: I can only assume that the missing pictures are due to your dream coming true ;)

@give_me_a_d: Nice Daemonette of Logic.... oh, it was a joker. Nice pic.

@kammek: That model is awesome, and the paint job is as well. It captures the feeling of the old Freebooter Warboss, but with the new Ork feeling, if you understand my ramblings. Great-looking army.

@the boyz: I think the Termies turned out well. I love them in-game, so I hope you have had a chance to try them out.

@jpobrich: I like the dark colours. I feel that they are appropriate for a Chaplain. Good job.

@Sheena Easton: Glad you made it. Lovely, characterful models as always. I really have to dig into my old space orks some day. Clever use of both models and bitz. I hope you will see the tale through.

@warflag: Eagerly anticipating metal Orks.

@sigur: Wow. I love your buggies. I own most of the old Space Ork range, and your painting exceeds the models, so to speak. Great work.

@Darnok: As I said on your plog, clever colours on the Flamers. The daemonettes look great too. I am growing fond of the gold sheen.

@Doctor_P: While I was lamenting the loss of Solun Decius, you snuck in and dropped out, too. I hope you would reconsider. I really like your Tau.

@razormasticator: Really glad you made it, razormasticator. It seems that the Guards are down to you, me and Blargag. The infantry squads and Baneblade are certainly table top standard. I like where the Baneblade is going, great job on the nets. Cannot wait to see it finished, nor the STORMBLADE!!! That gun is certainly menacing. Forgive me my 40K ignorance, but it seems that you are messing with the Guard Squads. I guess that it is a Forgeworld conversion kit, but I am not certain about what it is, is it a Cadian Infantry upgrade of some sort?

Phew, we seem to regrettably dwindle in numbers, yet every time I write comments I realize that there are quite a few left. As I said earlier, great job everyone.

/Fredmans

aenimosity
16-04-2009, 11:23
Well it looks like I'm out too. :(

I only managed to half finish a squad of termagants this month. I'll keep my eye on these threads, and I'll probably still be progressing with my nids, however I'll keep any photos of those on the tyranid To40k thread.

Well done to everyone who's still in this thing.

Cheers.

razormasticator
16-04-2009, 11:24
@ Fredmans... yes these Logres Prime Ice Drakes come from a hostile arctic environment, hence they wear respirator equipment.

(Yes they are all forgeworld upgrade kits)
coments to follow later

susu.exp
16-04-2009, 16:16
Well, a belated Joker from me. This month model availablility (GW stopping to sell the 20 man Cadian boxes, with the 10 man boxes not out yet to be precise) stopped me from starting until the wednesday before easter. Which if you convert every mini, isn´t a lot. I did take 2 Jokers before (3 actually, but I earned one back), but with over 900 points painted (up to submission thread 8 for 1.5k), I think I´ve earned two back.

So...
http://www.bigfatass.de/bfa/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/joker.jpg

warflag
16-04-2009, 17:29
Sensationeller Joker, Alder :p

Just a blurry pic from me as a sneak peak for my pics, which I hopefully find the time to take and put up. Just to prove I got stuff, you know...

EDIT: Removed blurry pic in favor of the following.

More pics:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/gewaltherrscher/koprr1.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/gewaltherrscher/kopmob.jpg

Grots as I can take more pics.

A word on this months work:

Finished one kopta for 70 p, including a buzzsaw and twinlinked bazukka. The saw is represented by the propeller. The bazukkas hang under the wings. They can be played as bombs aswell, or both.

The grots are just 10 emos with bully, no upgrades available, I guess, so 45 p.

I am still able to achieve my goal of 1500 p. But honestly, the list I made is for 1750 - 1800 p. I don´t know wether I will be finishing all of it by the end f the tale.
Which brings us to
Highs: The Randy Rhoads Kopta! It is close to the machine RR crashed with. I like how the windshield turned out. Originally I intended to do a jet. It would have been grey too, so I think this is a good compromise. There is still the head missing. It will be RR´s head with his insane wig.

Lows: Time. It is getting tighter with every month. I have to build some trukks and buggies. The full scratchbuilts are timeconsuming, without bringing points. Only one more mob of boys legft. The special mobs are evil greenstuff conversions, so that will take up time too...

Sooo, let´s see what happens. I hope to be able to stay in, but I might drop out, if my job keeps me busy as it did the last months.

Next up: Pics of grottos and Burna and Loota Mobs.

Cheers
Bart

Cheers
Bart

Fredmans
17-04-2009, 08:03
@warflag: Cheers, mate. Awesome kopta-flya-bomba-sawas. At the moment, everything you touch turn out orky. Are you sure you are not going to be a big mek in a future life?

/Fredmans

McMullet
17-04-2009, 14:18
Not such a lively month so far... I think an extra few days might be in order. Maybe until the weekend or something?

^ he thinks so too....

Hey everyone, I accidentally posted this in last months thread so i suppose I should post here for convenience sake.

This month I have decided even though I more or less finished my squad for the month, i'm going to leave the tale for this year, it's been great however I feel like a break from the crimson fists for the moment as there halting other projects at the moment and I now feel there at a suitable point where I can return to them at any time I feel.

Thanks to everyone who said nice things and good luck to everyone who's continuing.

Thanks for your kind words too, sorry to have you leave but best of luck with your other projects!

SD

It's a really shame to have you drop out mate, but many congratulations on having you band signed! Do you have a link to myspace/last.fm or whatever so we can have a listen?

Hey guys, I'm also dropping out due to work commitments, I tried to get some stuff done this month, but only got about halfway through. I want to thank you all for your encouragement, plus McMullet for organising it. Without this thread I'd probably still have a grey army!

I hope to be back painting in a month or two and I promise to keep you updated about my progress.

Good luck to everyone left in the tale, keep on painting!

Glad you've got something out of the tale in any case, best of luck with your painting!

Well it looks like I'm out too. :(

I only managed to half finish a squad of termagants this month. I'll keep my eye on these threads, and I'll probably still be progressing with my nids, however I'll keep any photos of those on the tyranid To40k thread.

Well done to everyone who's still in this thing.

Cheers.

Noooooo... another one dropping out?! Sorry to lose you...

Do you guys think you might be able to come up with something over the weekend?

Some comments...

Discord: Fair enough, you've been keeping the pace very well so far so a month off is fine by me. My Orks need some catch-up time anyway. :p

Playwithbob: Love those old techmarines!

olean: I'm pretty sure juggling your pregnant wife, while unquestionably very impressive, is potentially hazardous. I think most people use those special juggling balls. Seriously though, look forward to pics of your marines as ever, and well done on the gaming room!

kammek: Billiant job on Captain Badrukk! I love the map on his tabard thing. The colour balance of the photo looks a bit off though...

the boyz: Sounds like a nice simple painting method but it works very well, you have some nice depth of contrast there. The freehand shoulder icons set it off nicely.

jpobrich: Good work on that Chaplain, the bone mask is very good. The black highlights are nice and subtle too.

Sheena Easton: Good job mixing all those bits to make the Kannons. Your painting might not net you any golden daemons, but conversions like that really make your minis stand out.

sigur: Great work, I'm sure I commented on your log about these minis but to reiterate: they look great. Great highlighting, blending, detailing, really characterful and approriate painting for these old Boyz. The black outline for the white flames was a great idea too! ;)

Darnok: Good work on the Daemonettes again, and I like the technicolour Flamers. Very well painted and the weird colours really fit with the imagery.

Fredmans:
- Nids: Ah, the Dactylis. In spite of your excellent painting, I'm afraid I can't get over the fundamental silliness of a slug with two spindly arms that throw balls of gloop at the enemy. The Biovores and Hive node look great though!
- Guard: Great detailing and I like the darker scheme for the Commissar tank.

razormasticator: That Baneblade looks gret so far, and I can't wait to see the Stormblade doen - that's my favourite superheavy tank by miles.

warflag: The aeronautical engineer in my wants to know how that thing is meant to hover, but the modeler simply says: sweet scratchbuild. Look forward to seeing the Grots too!

And some responses...

@ McMullet - very nice looking Gargant

Cheers man!

@McMullet - Nice Gargant. I really like the Grot's eye view!

Thanks!

@ McMullet: Lovely Gargant...What is fantastic is all the detailing on the armour with checks, glyphs, flames and Bad Moons...great work...I do feel the base needs something though as it looks a little plain?...maybe just some troops if the rhino looked too cluttered???

Many thanks! I think you're right about the base looking a bit plain right now. I'm not sure how to incorporate troops but I think I might just build up some scorched craters or something. That should be quick and add some features without making it too busy.

@McMullet: Waaagh! Who needs Stompaz when you can have a Gargant? The checks and glyphs look good, and the Grot's eye view is a cool idea.

Quite! Thanks. :)

@McMullet: I always thought I preferred the old gargants, until I saw a recent picture of one. I am now a new gargant convert, and you did a great job on this one. I think the Smoke ink is working great for you (assuming you keep using it). It makes the yellow less clown-ish, but still yellow. Plus, it really feels good putting down a painted titan on the table.

I quite agree about the ink dulling down the yellow. It takes the mini from looking a bit daft to grimdarkness in one easy step. Glad to hear you've been brought around to accept new Gargants, much as you've converted me to like new Epic Nids (excep Dactylises...).

Keep up the good work everyone, I hope to hear from a few more of you by Sunday... ;)

warflag
17-04-2009, 14:51
Oh, no problem, Mr. aeronautical McMullet, Sir: It is Ork tekknology!
It´s superiority is only surpassed by it´s eternal mystery!
Only so much: If it can move downwards, it can move forwards and sidewards too. The truth lies in the simplicity of things!

BigMek out.

Cheers
Bart

Sheena Easton
17-04-2009, 15:15
Some comments:

@ Häxjägare: another good job

@ Chicken_Funk: excellent stuff - love the blue bitz on the Looterz

@ misterboff: excellent as always

@ Jim: brilliant, I love the dirt on the dozer blades and tracks

@ McMullet: nicely done

@ kenny3760: nice work

@ lonepilgrim: another stunning paint job on that techmarine

@ Drakemaster: looks good

@ Playwithbob: another good job

@ kammek: stunning - I love that model and your work on the cloak - almost convinced I should buy him and convert up some Flash Gitz...

@ The boyz: those models are sooo cute! Nice work.

@ jpobrich: great work, especially on the chest plate and rosarius

@ Sheena Easton: get those bases done and learn how to take a good photograph

@ sigur: I am insanely jealous of those classic Power Armoured Nobz and that Flamer Boy! Excellent work as usual and once again thanks for the inspiration.

@ Darnok: nice work, the blue and purple flamer is my favourite.

@ Fredmans: more great work, my favourites are the Biovores

@ razormasticator: more good work, I love the small details on the baneblade like the packs and nets

aenimosity
18-04-2009, 00:09
Do you guys think you might be able to come up with something over the weekend?

Possibly... My job doesn't actually entail much work, I really just have to be there. I'll give that squad of gaunts a bit of a going over on sunday. That plus the lictor I finished last month will be enough points for the month.

I might stick to the larger nids until the end of the tale just to ensure I get to the end. Uni is getting more and more demanding of my time at the moment.

Hopefully I'll have something to show by monday.

omgitsduane
18-04-2009, 06:47
Synapse Node (immobile synapse, possible to garrison, guard objectives, act as a rallying or spawning point and baby-sit artillery)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars1.jpg

Dactylis: Long-range (for Tyranids) bio-artillery.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars2.jpg

Biovores: Short-range bio-artillery.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/tyranidsmars3.jpg

holy crap! I absolutely love the painting on this and the devourer gives it a really cool look :)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/fredmans/guardsmars1.jpg

Where do you guys find time and money for this? If I have money I have no time and if I have time, I can't buy new toys :( Let alone 3 baneblades.

sigur
18-04-2009, 07:49
Where do you guys find time and money for this? If I have money I have no time and if I have time, I can't buy new toys :( Let alone 3 baneblades.

You do know that this is epic scale?

@all: Nice work people, I will post in-depth comments on everyone's work later. I have been deferring that for way too long. ;)

spikyjames
18-04-2009, 11:31
did i hear an extra few days?

Well i did kind of pull out last month, but hey i managed to get a couple of bits done.

Terminator assault squad
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/100_3487.jpg

1 more assault marine
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Ultramarines/100_3486.jpg

Points painted this month- 228

That brings my total up to 2670 points, and i'm probably now out for good, probably!

cheers

james

lonepilgrim
18-04-2009, 13:01
It's one of those rare weekends when I've got some spare time and just before I start painting my Terminators I thought I'd comment on this Tale.

@Häxjägare - Great looking, coherent army. Nice that you took the time to paint the LR interior.
@Chicken_Funk - That's some mean lookin' Orks.
@misterboff - It doesn't seem fair that that many models only adds up to 1400 points. It makes me worry about the Orks I'm going to tackle when my Angels are finished.
@Jim - Great colour scheme and some impressive weathering.
@McMullet - Holy Gargant Batman! Looks like one mean mutha.
@kenny3760 - I'm just experimenting with Halford's undercoats now. By the look of your models they work!
@Drakemaster - Nice work on such small models. I look forward to seeing the finished 1000 sons.
@Playwithbob - I have both of the models you've painted this month. Makes me want to break them out and paint them myself, maybe in Crimson Fist colours like the Rogue Trader rulebook.
@olean - Shame about the pics, I'll look out for your assault guys next month.
@kammek - I love that Badrukk model. You need to crop your pics, though, to make the thread easier to read.
@The boyz - Nice Termies, but where is the army shot? I want to see the massed Blood Angels ready for battle.
@misterboff - A convincing conversion. I'll bear it in mind when I start on my own Orks.
@jpobrich - Nice bone paintwork on that Chaplain. I'm not familiar with that model. Is it new or old?
@Sheena Easton - Those pics do your models no justice at all.
@sigur - The best painting I've seen in this month's Tale. I hate those old buggy models but you've managed to make them look fantastic. The Nobz and Grots are equally as good. I'm not sure what you mean about the highlighting technique, though, I just can't see any significant difference. Does that mean it worked?
@Darnok - Interesting take on the Daemonettes. They look very striking as part of a unit.
@Fredmans - Good idea on the MaCragge bits. Looks like a formidable Nid swarm there. The Steel Legion tanks are my favourites, though. The names sound fine to me.
@Solun Decius - That's a shame. Good luck with the band!
@razormasticator - I don't know why but your pics somehow made me think that was an epic army for a minute or two! The blade looks suitably worn, weathered and battle hardened and the blue on your infantry is ver y eye catching.
@warflag - Stunning conversion work. Your pics made me chuckle in an entirely Orky way.
@spikyjames - A good surprise to see you back. Never say never, eh?

As for comments on my own stuff:

@kenny3760 - Cheers! I really do recommend the washes.
@sigur - Ta.
@Jonahmaul - Yup, he's my favourite too.
@Chicken_Funk - Thanks.
@Jim - I didn't deliberately add a blue tinge to the metallics. I used Badab Black, Gryphonne Sepia and Devlan Mud washes on lots of them then some yellow and purple ink on the Techmarine's flamer arm to simulate heat damage.
@misterboff - I'm glad it worked.
@Fredmans - Thanks for your comments and taking the time to read my ramblings!
@Sheena Easton - Cheers.

Like Fredmans I feel like it's only when you comment on everyone's work that you relaise how many of us are still left. Good effort!

Fredmans
19-04-2009, 12:17
@spiky james: I am glad you posted a "final" time again. They look marvellous as always.

@aenimosity and jonahmaul: I hope you finish your models before the end of the month. It would be nice to keep you in the tale.

Some replies on the kind comments on my work and other chit-chat:

@ Fredmans: more great work, my favourites are the Biovores

Thank you. I am glad you liked them. I am just about to try those colours on a bunch of nids. It is a small (but probably undiscernible) improvement over previous green carapaces.

@ Fredmans - cool Epic stuff, I particularly like those tanks

@Fredmans - Good idea on the MaCragge bits. Looks like a formidable Nid swarm there. The Steel Legion tanks are my favourites, though. The names sound fine to me.

Thank you. Painting a super-heavy tank company was a treat. I never expect to do it in 40K scale. But I keep returning to the Forgeworld web-site for more of them, although not for this army. There is a Death Korps of Krieg army list reaching "finished" status which I plan to build some time soon (maybe next year).

- Nids: Ah, the Dactylis. In spite of your excellent painting, I'm afraid I can't get over the fundamental silliness of a slug with two spindly arms that throw balls of gloop at the enemy. The Biovores and Hive node look great though!
- Guard: Great detailing and I like the darker scheme for the Commissar tank.

I actually understand where you are coming from. I have four more of them (unpainted) and I consider some conversion work to make them more "gunning" instead of "lobbing". For this month, I just had no time for it. Plus I needed them for my next game (kind of like your fighta-bommers). At least they were quite easy to paint. I do not know about you, but when you have painted a little more than half the army, you work faster since you know the colour schemes, the techniques you develop and so on.

I quite agree about the ink dulling down the yellow. It takes the mini from looking a bit daft to grimdarkness in one easy step. Glad to hear you've been brought around to accept new Gargants, much as you've converted me to like new Epic Nids (excep Dactylises...).

That is what the Tale is for. ;) I recently assembled 2000 points of Orks for some test games around here. I just want to settle for the army colours. Old-school clans or new-school dirty and gritty? I am yet undecided. Oh, and by sheer chance ;) I picked up a Great Gargant as well.

holy crap! I absolutely love the painting on this and the devourer gives it a really cool look :) Where do you guys find time and money for this? If I have money I have no time and if I have time, I can't buy new toys :( Let alone 3 baneblades.

Thank you for your kind words. 3 Epic Shadowswords are just 18 quids from Forgeworld and they took me about 10 days to paint. They are approximately 5 times smaller than 40K models.

@Fredmans - Thanks for your comments and taking the time to read my ramblings!

No problem, it was the least I could do in order to appreciate your work even more.

I have begun work on next (this) month's models, but I can already now say that I am a little bit distracted and I might need a few more days for next month. I am just about to have my first baby, so it could (miraculously) appear any time now. I can only paint when I am not rubbing feet or shoulders ;)

/Fredmans

Solun Decius
19-04-2009, 16:21
@spikyjames & warflag: Awesome stuff dudes (as always). Good to see photos from both of you here towards the end.

It's a really shame to have you drop out mate, but many congratulations on having you band signed! Do you have a link to myspace/last.fm or whatever so we can have a listen?
Actually yeah! Check out http://www.myspace.com/retron - two files added recently so it's 4 songs (or samples thereof), all in very different styles. The first one (the one with lyrics) probably the least characteristic of the band. Still good though :D

I'm going to go paint now, for the first time in like a month. I'd comment on everyones great work but I've gotta jump to the painting ... my fingers are itching for it!

EDIT: Oh and Fredmans. Those babies can really (miraculously) get you while you're not looking. Best of luck with that!

Discord
19-04-2009, 19:27
Thanks for the support guys, I got myself back into painting with something completely different and now feel fairly confident about churning out more little orks for the next thread. :)

And here's what I did to clean my head a little of all those spaceships and 6mm thingies. Rar.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qwhmwm.jpg

razormasticator
19-04-2009, 23:59
I will post some comments for you all tomorrow. Gotta keep the moral support up for the people still in the log ya know.

warflag
20-04-2009, 01:36
Finally!

Pic of the grottos. Keep eyes open on my log for detail shots. Not to be expected before Tuesday.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/gewaltherrscher/DSC00144_2.jpg

Forgot them teeth... Will do that.

A few words before in-depth commenting tomorrow:

Solun: Even if you dropped out, which with all the things you have to do, you´ll always be welcomed back, as far as I am concerned. You chose the hardest list, Genestealers by the masses. I personally couldn´t be bothered to paint a bazillion stealers, so kudos for coming so far. All the best for your band. And guess what, I ´ve been hired by a band myself, for vocs. Let´s see what happens ;)

Spikey, damn nice entry. Expand your list to 5000 p, so you can still stay in until June...

Fredmans, forgot to reply, sorry! Thanks for your comment. I really enjoy the (scratch)building. And there is still a whole lot of freakstuff to come. Hope I can keep up with the pace.

More tomorow!

Cheers
Bart

aenimosity
20-04-2009, 09:17
They're not finished yet, but...

Aenimosity's Red Gribblies

Units: 12 termagants and 1 Lictor

Points: Don't have my codex on me, but it's pretty much spot on 150.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Termagants01.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/Termagants02.jpg

You can see the picture of the lictor if you check out the tyranid To40k painters: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156002&page=5

Highs: I really liked the way the lictor turned out. Being able to stay in the tale was a huge high as well.

Lows: Not quite finishing the gaunts. They need teeth, tongues and claws/hooves done

Up next: Greenstuffing and then painting 3 raveners.

I'll post again later with some comments.

aenimosity
20-04-2009, 10:08
Comment time

@lonepilgrim: Nice gear again.
@kenny3760: The daemons look good.
@jim: those tanks look really nice. I dig the mud encrusted on them.
@mcmullet: thanks for the extra few days. How long did that gargant take? And how big is the badmoon glyph on his right side?
@kammek: that horde looks great. Nice work.
@sheena easton: That kannon on the left looks sweet. I could picture a loota carrying one of those over his shoulder.
@sigur: damn those guys look good.
@darnok: those flamers look wicked.
@fredmans: Digging your epic gear.
@warflag: I dunno what it is with all of you ork players, your models look fantastic.
@spikyjames: I'm truly jealous...

Fredmans
21-04-2009, 12:19
@warflag: Lovely addition.

@aenimosity: Glad to see you made it. They look more than good enough for cannon-fodder if you ask me. Sometimes cutting corners is worth it to stay in the tale.

/Fredmans

lonepilgrim
21-04-2009, 17:09
I did some painting on my Terminators over the weekend so I thought I'd post a WIP pic for some feedback.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3462518967_b7cb425930_o.jpg

I'm happy with the metallics and will be moving onto the armour next but I'm stuck with the rubble on the bases. My main colour is Khemri Brown, drybrushed with Bleached Bone and then washed with Devlan Mud. I picked out the bits of ruined buildings in Scorched Brown then drybrushed this up to pure Catachan Green and then again drybrushed up to pure Skull White.

Unfortunately this didn't give me the pale green colour I was looking and just made the ruins blend into the base so I washed them all with Thraka Green. I'm still not convinced.

Anyone have any ideas?

Zujara
22-04-2009, 03:54
Going to be stepping out of the Tale, have had little motivation to do anything with my 40k lately. Will keep my eye on this thread to see all of your hardwork down the final stretch!

Jonahmaul
22-04-2009, 20:52
Just a quick one to let people know I'm still alive! I'm going to effectively drop out of the Tale as it's so far past the date we were supposed to post by but I'm gonna do my trick of a couple of months ago & post 400 points next month to buy myself back in (plus I will hopefully get it posted in the first week so that I can get some feedback & not lost among the chatter!). I've made the decision to drop one of my TOFP armies so I'm hoping that just doing two armies is going to motivate me again.

Häxjägare
22-04-2009, 22:32
Some late comments and responses, but better late then never right?:)

Responses:

@PlaywithBob: It's Khaki with a thinned out Smoke colour from Vallejo.

@McMullet: Thanks! Two more Months and his retuine will be done!:)

@Sigur: It looks a bit flat in the camera too, but my freehand is atrocious, I'm working with some custom tranfers for the chaptersymbol to make it better tho!

@Jonahmaul: Thanks!

@Chicken_Funk: Once again thanks, I hope to keep the flow up and get the army done!

@Fredmans: Thanks, yeah, improving is what I strive for while still making the army coherent!

@Sheena Easton: Thanks!

@Jim: Yeah, I will re-do some work when I get my tranfers done and see how it looks.

@Misterboff: Thanks!

@Lonepilgrim: Thanks!

Some comments:

@McMullet: Nice epic stuff as always!:)

@Jpbrich: Nice Chaplin, I like the bone-colour!

@Lonepilgrim: Love the servitors, nice recipe for the skin!

@Jim: I like the use of the ogre symbol, works nicely for World Eaters!

@Kammek: Very nice Freebooter captin, I love that model!

@Sigur: Love that vibrant orange, could I get the recipe?

@Fredmans: Thoes tanks were really nice, got a bit of a diffrent touch but still making them look similiar. Great work!

@PlaywithBob: Awesome old school Dread!

@Warflag: I love that unit, great work with the plane!

Sorry to see so many dropping, but atleast you fellas stuck with us for a while! Hope you get the armys done when RL:s slow down!

aenimosity
23-04-2009, 08:51
After my dismal effort for the last month I've gotten stuck in already and have 3 half finished raveners:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/aenimosity/RavenersWIP.jpg

Excuse the shoddy picture. I don't have too much more to go on these guys, and they're worth 150 points. Woo! I don't know how effective they'll be on the board the way I've got them kitted out though.

sigur
23-04-2009, 11:40
How do people keep on getting the impression that it's possible to buy back jokers?

@häxjägare: Erm, do you mean the red or the actual orange as on the special weapons? If you mean the orange, it's mixes of blood red and sunburst yellow, possibly with some white or a bit of VMC sand yellow thrown in for final highlights.

Häxjägare
23-04-2009, 14:38
@häxjägare: Erm, do you mean the red or the actual orange as on the special weapons? If you mean the orange, it's mixes of blood red and sunburst yellow, possibly with some white or a bit of VMC sand yellow thrown in for final highlights.

Ah, cool. Thanks mate!

Jonahmaul
23-04-2009, 16:25
@ sigur - because it is! Whether McMullet has put it down in writing or not I don't know but it's always been agreed that you can 'buy back' jokers so if you're particularly motivated one month & can get a load of painting done you can get a joker back in the 'bank' for another month (ie if you know you're going on holiday) or it means people can effectively use a 3rd joker & not have to drop out of the Tale (like myself). The idea of both 'Tales' is to keep people motivated & get painted armies on the table, not to rule with an iron grip!

razormasticator
23-04-2009, 17:34
agreed, and I am pretty sure it is in writing on the first month of the log in August.

give_me_a_d
25-04-2009, 16:49
Right, well overdue here are some coments:

Häxjägare - A nice looking Landy, although the red could maybe do with an extra highlight, it might just be the photos but it looks a bit flat.

Chicken_Funk - A good bunch of orks there. The closer pic of the Warboss is good. He has just the right balance of blue to other colours.

misterboff - I have nothing but admiration for you Ork players and the amount of painting you get done and misterboff you are a case in point - 8 bikers thats great work

Jim - Those rhinos look good. I like the old slopping front you've used (I've done that on 1 of my DG rhinos. Also like the world eater symbol on the dozer blade. The Daemonettes are all but finished, although I may post a question in my log later about them.

McMullet - Great looking Gargant. Is there a particular reason why its set well back on the base?

kenny3760 - Nice set of 'bearers. I like the variation in colours. The blades are a bit clean for my liking but at least you have based yours (Unlike me). The rhino and vindy look good too.

lonepilgrim - I really like your techmarine. The two reds are very subtle but really help to signal that he is part of the army but a bit seperate. Good work.

Drakemaster - I like your rush job, looks perfectly good to me.

Playwithbob - Not only an old skool Dread (which has to be one of my all time faves) but also a land speeder. Cool. And I think we'll let you off with a few old plastic backpacks. Then its you again - The techmarines are great and you have another 3 dreads, excellent.

olean - hope to see your marines soon.

Then some fool has posted a pic of Marvin.. ..oh wait that was me.

kammek - Badrukk looks good. I like the checks along the cutlas. That's some army you have there.

The boyz - Nice looking terminators. Reminds me of when I did my Howling Griffins epic army - I don't think they looked as good as any of yours though.

jpobrich - I will confess I didn't think your Chappy was going to be all that great from the thumbnail but I was very happy to see how well he turned out.

Sheena Easton - A right motley bunch and no mistake! But in agood way.

sigur - I'll say the same here as I said for misterboff - I can't get over the amount you Ork guys do. Your stuff is excellent. The Nobz in particular are great.

Darnok - Oh yes I remember - Nice yellow bits!;) I'm just messing, the Daemonettes look great and the Vegas glitter looks good. The Flamers are good. I can't decide whether I like the red one or the yellow one best.

Fredmans - The Nids are great. The detail on them is great, especially the Biovores. The Shadow Swords are nice as well.

razormasticator - great looking Baneblade, definitely looks like its seen some action

warflag - another awesome months work from warflag. The whole army is cool and this kopta is a great addition. The grots slightly later on are also exceptional. All very characterful.

spikyjames - great work as ever. I think my fave is the assault marine.

aenimosity - nice looking nids. It'll be good to see them when they're finished.

lonepilgrim - Terminators coming along nicely, great looking bases.

Good work everyone. I'll be putting a little update on my log later hopefully, with some of my finished(?) Daemonettes and PIP Flamers, maybe even WIP of my Khorne Herlald if I think there's enough to show. Hope you can pop in later for that. Right now though I'm of to have my tea.

McMullet
25-04-2009, 19:14
spikyjames: Lovely job! That's a heck of an army you've got done there.

warflag: Hah, the Grots are perfect. Loving the red and white checks on the revolver.

aenimosity: Hooray! Well done on keeping up the pace.

If it can move downwards, it can move forwards and sidewards too. The truth lies in the simplicity of things!

I have never been so utterly convinced in my life... Really!

How do people keep on getting the impression that it's possible to buy back jokers?

Because it's better than having people drop out? At the start of the tale I think everyone agreed it was best to be strict. When there are close on a hundred people involved things have to be fairly rigidly organised or it won't work. At this stage everyone who's here has shown they're willing to make the effort to keep up the pace, and they've invested a lot of time in doing so. There's no reason not to bend the rules a bit to allow them to stay in.

There's no point having rules just for the sake of it - the purpose of the Tale is to encourage people to paint, and the "rules", such as they are, should facilitate that.

I actually understand where you are coming from. I have four more of them (unpainted) and I consider some conversion work to make them more "gunning" instead of "lobbing". For this month, I just had no time for it. Plus I needed them for my next game (kind of like your fighta-bommers). At least they were quite easy to paint. I do not know about you, but when you have painted a little more than half the army, you work faster since you know the colour schemes, the techniques you develop and so on.

That is what the Tale is for. ;) I recently assembled 2000 points of Orks for some test games around here. I just want to settle for the army colours. Old-school clans or new-school dirty and gritty? I am yet undecided. Oh, and by sheer chance ;) I picked up a Great Gargant as well.

That's fair enough - there does come a time when you have to accept that some models are just not quite how you want them to be, and paint them anyway. It's easier with Epic because anything other than a Titan feels much more like a "counter" than is the case with 28mm scale. And you're dead right about painting getting easier (and better) as time goes on.

Look forward to seeing your Orks - and all the best with the baby (or congratulations, depending on when you read this)

Actually yeah! Check out http://www.myspace.com/retron - two files added recently so it's 4 songs (or samples thereof), all in very different styles. The first one (the one with lyrics) probably the least characteristic of the band. Still good though :D

Not bad at all! I'm not into Death Metal and my tolerance for Electronics is very limited, so if I can enjoy it then you must have a pretty wide appeal...

Thanks for the support guys, I got myself back into painting with something completely different and now feel fairly confident about churning out more little orks for the next thread.

Hooray!

I'm happy with the metallics and will be moving onto the armour next but I'm stuck with the rubble on the bases. My main colour is Khemri Brown, drybrushed with Bleached Bone and then washed with Devlan Mud. I picked out the bits of ruined buildings in Scorched Brown then drybrushed this up to pure Catachan Green and then again drybrushed up to pure Skull White.

Unfortunately this didn't give me the pale green colour I was looking and just made the ruins blend into the base so I washed them all with Thraka Green. I'm still not convinced.

Anyone have any ideas?

Personally I'd play safe and make the ruins grey - it might not be so interesting but it's guaranteed to work. The green rubble will look interesting if it goes right, but get it wrong and it could just look confusing...

Going to be stepping out of the Tale, have had little motivation to do anything with my 40k lately. Will keep my eye on this thread to see all of your hardwork down the final stretch!

Fair enough, cheers for letting us and well done for staying in this long.

Some responses...

@ McMullet: nicely done

Thanks!

@McMullet - Holy Gargant Batman! Looks like one mean mutha.

Thanks man!

@mcmullet: thanks for the extra few days. How long did that gargant take? And how big is the badmoon glyph on his right side?

No worries! I spread the Gargant over 2 months, though if truth be told he only took a few night's painting. The glyph is about 4mm high.

@McMullet: Nice epic stuff as always!

Cheers!

McMullet - Great looking Gargant. Is there a particular reason why its set well back on the base?

Thanks - There are a couple of reasons I guess. One is that I was thinking of putting something scenic on the base (an idea that is now on hold); another is that the guns stick out a long way from the body, so this keeps the profile of the mini within the base (mainly). Also, I stuck the feet to the base without the rest of the mini in place (Whoops).

Hope everyone's getting on well so far this month!

McMullet
01-05-2009, 00:21
New update thread is live folks - off you go!

Jonahmaul
06-05-2009, 16:51
Not a huge amount of entries so far, hope we get a load over the rest of today & tomorrow. I should just about be in time, I'm hoping to finish my last 3 stealth suits tomorrow evening though I may not have time for photos but they will be up by friday