PDA

View Full Version : Flail and shield?

Tolinwiz
02-04-2009, 00:12
Was told at a local GW store that you cannot take a shield and a flail...but I see lots of lists with flails+shields...yea no? And is the rule referenced in the book?

Erie Ed
02-04-2009, 00:12
Flail is a 2H weapon....

Lord Malorne
02-04-2009, 00:13
You can, though if you use the flail in combat you of course cannot use the shield aswell (in the combat that you choose to use the flail). People buy it for the extra AS it gives and sometimes go for the better AS in combat instead of the strength boost, nothing stops you buying both.

Dokushin
02-04-2009, 00:47
You can, though if you use the flail in combat you of course cannot use the shield aswell (in the combat that you choose to use the flail). People buy it for the extra AS it gives and sometimes go for the better AS in combat instead of the strength boos, nothing stops you buying both.

This is pretty much the answer you're looking for. I often buy shields with greatweapons just for the +1 AS vs. shooting. And in combat you can always forego the GW for HW+S and get the +2 armor (unless, of course, you have a magic weapon).

Tolinwiz
02-04-2009, 01:02
So essentially you could use flail first round of combat for str bonus, then switch to HW/S 2nd round for the +2 AS? If so is there a restriction on the type of character that can do that? I.e. no sorcerers, etc.

Mercules
02-04-2009, 01:05
You have to continue the combat with whatever weapon you started it with. Essentially, you could decide at start if you wanted the Str bonus or the armor save, pick which one and then be stuck with it.

Lord Malorne
02-04-2009, 01:09
No restriction, just they are not allowed it in ther weapon options, as Mercules said, you fight with the same weapon until the combat is resolved (as in you are no longer in combat).

rottahn
02-04-2009, 02:46
basically is you take a flail and a shield you can only use one or the other. if you get charged, you might want to use a shield. if you charge you might want to use the flail. if you get shot at, the shield gives you one more armor save. (generally) you can definately take both items, but you cant use them in conjunction.

chivalrous
02-04-2009, 10:34
So essentially you could use flail first round of combat for str bonus, then switch to HW/S 2nd round for the +2 AS? If so is there a restriction on the type of character that can do that? I.e. no sorcerers, etc.

No, the same weapon has to be used in every round of that combat until one side has been destroyed or fled i.e. "combat has been resolved" i.e. "you are no longer in combat".