PDA

View Full Version : 40k player looking into fantasy.

self biased
04-05-2005, 05:49
try as i might, my girlfriend has fallen for dark elves. not dark eldar. so, in order to support her in her gaming endeavors, i've decided to give fantasy a try. i play dark angels (yes, yes, i hear all sorts of garbage about space marines, but out of a group of six players, we had an eldar, a tyranid, an ork, a chaos, a guard, and myself... we were really the atypical gaming group), daemonhunters, and a little guard.

at the moment, i'm torn between dwarves and lizardmen. i need models that i enjoy painting. about five years ago, i had a small foray into beastmen that ended badly for that reason. can someone help me out?

BullBuchanan
04-05-2005, 06:42
well if painting is your interest, then Id say Lizardmen dominate that arena. You could use any combination of bright or dark/bright colors to make some really cool effects, and they are no slouches from agameplay standpoint either. Good time to get into LZ as they just got some new models.

sulla
04-05-2005, 06:50
It's a shame you're not interested in Elves...high Elf vs Dark Elf battles are the best balanced and fun in my experience...

Lord Lucifer
04-05-2005, 23:25
If painting is your 'prerequisite' to a good army, then we can't help you with this decision, you're the one that knows what miniatures you like the look of more.

There will apparently be new Dwarf miniatures out not too long from now apparently, which may help to sway you towards Dwarfs as much as the Warhammer Realms: Lustria releases may turn you to the idea of Lizardmen.

If you're curious about gameplay, or background, we can fill you in quite easily, but when it comes to the painting and modelling of your army, you are the expert ;)

I'll just say, I have both armies, both have nice figures, both have their ups and downs on the gaming table.

However, as it was the Dark Elves that started the War of the Beard, a Dwarf army may well be entirely appropriate ;)

arxhon
05-05-2005, 00:47
Dwarfs=tough little buggers who don't run away and have lots of cannons and stuff, but no magic or fast troops.

Lizardmen=tough little buggers with some shooty stuff, some fast troops and lots of magic.

I lean towards lizardmen, myself, but that's mostly because lizards are really cool, and i think dwarfs are kind of dumb. But that's just me. :)

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
05-05-2005, 01:15
if u would like pretty much anything u need to know bout lizzies and dwarfs, there are 2 lizzie site in my sig as well as this one http://invisionfree.com/forums/Thee_Forsaken_One/index.php? and for dwarfs http://forum.bugmansbrewery.com/

The boyz
05-05-2005, 10:56
I would go for Dwarves personally. But I would wait until the new Dwarf minatures come out before you decide. At the the moment the Dwarf plastics are not very good. They are very static looking minatures.

Jedi152
05-05-2005, 12:56
It's a shame you're not interested in Elves...high Elf vs Dark Elf battles are the best balanced and fun in my experience...
pffft. Whats the fun when both armies have the same strengths and weaknesses? HE and DE are basically the same army in different colours.

I'd say go dwarfs. Then you have opposite armies: hers-fast, but weak, yours:slow, but tough.

Mouldsta
06-05-2005, 10:15
Well obviously pick one you would like to paint, but think about playing style - For example I think dwarfs look really cool but I could never have an entire army with M3, the movement phase is IMO the most strategic so to sit back and shoot bores me to tears.

self biased
09-05-2005, 21:00
from what i've read, i think i'll go with dwarves. i like the shooty and dead hard in close combat, but less than mobile. i've still got most of a guard army to paint at the moment, so i'm in little danger of starting this army in the next year or so. thanks for the advice everyone.

Lord Lucifer
09-05-2005, 23:00
Bah, they're easy to paint

They're 50% armour and 50% beard*
Metal then black ink for the armour, then any colour followed by an ink wash for the beard
Tiny blob of skin for the face, and maybe some colour for what little cloth actually shows on the model, job's a good 'un

*may not actually be entirely accurate or remotely true

Gorog Irongut
10-05-2005, 10:01
I vote for dwarfs as I can't stand Lizardmen. And they are a little harder to paint well as they are all armour, beard, and tiny faces under the helmets. Just try doing the eyes on ungrim and you'll understand what I mean.

self biased
11-05-2005, 14:50
the lack of flesh tones on the dwarf models is good too. i'd be loathe to paint lizardmen, if only for the fact that i used to breed chameleons, and would want to do these intricate patterns that are beyond my skill.