PDA

View Full Version : Tyrion Any Good?

Vinsanity
04-04-2009, 16:47
Hey all. Ive done a search and havent really found too much regarding Tyrion. I was just wondering if hes good and if people take him. I was thinking about building an army around him, lots of Dragon Princes, etc. Any thoughts and ideas? Thx :)

rottahn
04-04-2009, 16:51
i think he is horrible. i never even thought of taking him, and i wouldnt take him. i personally like the generic HE lord, and then 3 mages anyways.

Lordy
04-04-2009, 16:55
Hey all. Ive done a search and havent really found too much regarding Tyrion. I was just wondering if hes good and if people take him. I was thinking about building an army around him, lots of Dragon Princes, etc. Any thoughts and ideas? Thx :)

He's one of the greatest warriors in the game. If you are using special characters and your not taking Teclis i would go for him.

Monsterzonk
04-04-2009, 16:58
I rather like him. Yes, he's a bit expensive, but look at what you get! High WS, S7, ASF, 4 wounds and attacks, a 1+ armour save, 4+ ward save, AND Regeneration! Not to forget Magic Resistance 2. For an Elf, he's extremely hard to kill, and packs a nice punch. I say go for it!

selone
04-04-2009, 16:59
Don't forget he does flaming dmage too :)

sroblin
04-04-2009, 16:59
I think he is horrible. i never even thought of taking him, and i wouldnt take him.

Why do you say that? He's pricey, but his defenses are as good anyone could wish for (regenerate, MR2, 0+ armor save, 4+ ward); his offense is a bit ordinaryish by comparison, it is true. I guess the lack of immune to psych or stubborn is disappointing as well, limits his usefulness for soloing against enemy units. But with M10, he certainly can choose his fights, and get stuck in by turn 2.

I don't like plonking tons of points on combat lords because it can be hard for them to play a role commensurate for their points; the real 'power play' for High Elves is to mount them on Star Dragons and all that, though I don't like spending so many points on a single character. I think Tyrion is probably most worthwhile when fighting other characters, he'll get more mileage by neutralizing their attacks, and he doesn't have to deal as much damage in return to be useful.

WhiteKnight
04-04-2009, 17:51
How can tyrion be pricey. Compared to a prince on dragon, he's about 220 points cheaper. Tyrion could get a unit of 5 dps with war banner! Tyrion can be brutal if backed up by a solid force. I say go for it if you like special characters that aren't teclis.

Witchblade
04-04-2009, 17:52
He is extremely cheesy IMO.

Monsterzonk
04-04-2009, 18:03
How can tyrion be pricey. Compared to a prince on dragon, he's about 220 points cheaper.

Yes, but then he doesn't come with a Dragon, does he? ;) With "only" four Attacks, he is not really that killy. However, high WS and S make up for that, I think.
And I don't think he's cheesy.

sulla
04-04-2009, 22:41
As good as a chaos lord but unfortunately, only the 3rd best lord choice in the HE book behind Teclis, archmage with book of hoeth and a star-dragonlord.

Still a very good choice for an HE list, especially in a deathstar type DP unit with a battle banner. (Put them in the same unit and you are forced to go deathstar anyway since they are too big a target in a small unit.)

WarlockOMork
05-04-2009, 15:15
The toughest elf you'll ever see, whats not to like. (besides elves are always pricy)

Ps: But like the rest i'd say you should take teclis instead, if you wherent going for the mounted knights theme.

Vinsanity
05-04-2009, 15:43
Thx all for the replies :p. Seems hes ok but a Star Dragon Prince is better. But Tyrion is a bastard to kill. I will probably go Tyrion with lots of DPs in a fluffy army. However the Star Dragon Prince would be fluffy too... Does anyone have any good ideas for supporting heroes? A BSB and a mage would be my guesses, but that gets quite expensive... Any more ideas?

bob_the_small
05-04-2009, 16:00
My 1 Experience of playing Tyrion,

Tyrion charges a unit of 5 Cold one knights with a dreadlord, in them. I challenge with my lord, he has to accept. Tyrion attacks and does NOTHING ( I have pendant and regeneration armour) his horse attacks and wounds me but I grow it back! My lord goes BASH 2 wounds of Tyrion! (STR 6). He is not immune to psychology so he takes a leadership test on 2. He fails, runs and dies!

I dont value him very highly.

SilentStalker
05-04-2009, 16:24
in that case you got very lucky on your return attacks
str 6 makes his armour 3+
then he has a 4+ ward
and regen
so the likeliness that each of your wounds gets through is roughly 18/216, or 8%.
The chance that he wounds you (assuming you have 2+ armor, 2+ ward due to pendant, and regeneration which tyrion negates with his flaming attacks is 5/36, or 13%.
Tyrion has a better chance of wounding you then you him. You are basing your judgment on a fluke case is pretty lame.

bob_the_small
05-04-2009, 16:41
Well, thanks Silent...... that put me down... :(

LKHERO
05-04-2009, 16:56
Tyrion is extremely good in a large unit of DPs with BSB, Battle Banner and Standard of Balance. The unit will beat most things on the ground.

The best way I ran him was in this combination with 2x Lion Chariots on the flanks. Your opponent has a really hard decision to make in 1 turn before everything charges.

^_^

SilentStalker
05-04-2009, 16:58
sorry didn't mean to put you down bob, just was pointing out that the basis of your decision that he sucks is quite unfounded given your example.

Chiungalla
05-04-2009, 17:03
My 1 Experience of playing Tyrion,

Tyrion charges a unit of 5 Cold one knights with a dreadlord, in them. I challenge with my lord, he has to accept. Tyrion attacks and does NOTHING ( I have pendant and regeneration armour) his horse attacks and wounds me but I grow it back! My lord goes BASH 2 wounds of Tyrion! (STR 6). He is not immune to psychology so he takes a leadership test on 2. He fails, runs and dies!

And if he was a good player, he would not had put Tyrion in b2b-contact with the lord, you could have not made the challenge and he will have killed your rank and file troopers winning the combat result...

Skyth
05-04-2009, 17:10
And if he was a good player, he would not had put Tyrion in b2b-contact with the lord, you could have not made the challenge and he will have killed your rank and file troopers winning the combat result...

Unless the lord was on the edge, he didn't have a choice...Tyrion is on a large base (50mm I believe).

Chiungalla
05-04-2009, 17:13
That isn't as clear as it seems, since his mount isn't a monster any more, but a normal horse.
In my oppinion he will use a cavalry base since the new army book.

WhiteKnight
05-04-2009, 17:17
Yeah tyrion should be on a cavalry base (which I put him on even with the scenery dead dark elf) but they always ship him with a 50x50.

Chiungalla
05-04-2009, 18:32
And even if he is on a 50*50 mm base.
Which good warhammer player will attack a unit of fear causers with him, when it is most likely that he will loose combat anyway?

4 attacks means even without the challenge with a hard combat hero, you are likely to inflict only two wounds and loose against standard, unit strengh and musician.

Used within a unit of dragon princes with the standard of balance he is great, even more so if used with a battle banner battle standard bearer.

WarlockOMork
05-04-2009, 18:39
unless someone manages to flank charge the unit he's in, so he cant fight, but then again flanking is often easyer said then done.

Still every unit has a way its supposed to be used. (rarely is a unit good at(and able to win) everything)
that doesnt make it a bad choice. (Tyrion is quite good and quite cool. fought againt him often. He slays my chariots as if cutting butter. As does he pwn my other warmachines, and is even able to fry an entire unit. (also makes french toast out of my trolls) Cant seem to stomp him with a green glowing foot from the sky, and even survives quite a few shots from my warmachines, and is mighty fast to boot.)

LKHERO
05-04-2009, 18:41
I'd like to point out that he also has 20" charge range so he can really surprise people who think they're outside charge range of the unit of DP's he's in.

sulla
05-04-2009, 20:33
Used within a unit of dragon princes with the standard of balance he is great, even more so if used with a battle banner battle standard bearer.

Lion banner is ok too.

When I play HE, I prefer the ellyrion banner for horseyment though. Nothing more fun than charging through a wood to hit an unsuspecting unit in the flank...

bob_the_small
05-04-2009, 20:36
NOTE : Tyrion charged me

WarlockOMork
05-04-2009, 20:38
dont woods block line of sight, and charges require lines of sight?. (so even if you can move trough them you cant charge trough them?)

that aside, well then said player positioned tyrion wrong, as some one already mentioned he should've put it in base to base with just rank and file instead. not your nigh unkillable dread lord.

Edit: well unless you can just see a very little bit of the other unit past it. but then it isnt that big a wood.

Ultimo ninja
05-04-2009, 21:42
Tyrion has awesome fluff, and an amazing model. I would just use him as a generic prince if i decided not to use him as a special char.

selone
06-04-2009, 00:24
Tyrion attacks and does NOTHING ( I have pendant and regeneration armour) his horse attacks and wounds me but I grow it back!

Tyrion does flaming attacks, that means no regnerate. Also 1 game does not = the be all and end all.

sulla
06-04-2009, 02:56
dont woods block line of sight, and charges require lines of sight?. (so even if you can move trough them you cant charge trough them?)

Edit: well unless you can just see a very little bit of the other unit past it. but then it isnt that big a wood.

It's very rare for a 'wood' (read stand of trees in warhammer) to entirely block LoS to enemies. I didn't mean HE who have 'skavensight' and can see through terrain like the stupid warp lightning cannon.:):D

cybercaine
06-04-2009, 05:41
I also like how Tyrion always has his regenerate. He is immune to flaming attacks, so he's immune to anything that takes away his regenerate. Serioulsy though, he's a tank. He does ok damage, but he can tank anything. And in a dp death star, he's a pain in the butt. But to run him in, with only 4 attacks, into a unit that beats him on combat resolution alone is pretty silly if you're expecting him to win. He's quite possibly the best tank in this game. Bloodthirsters, skulltaker, archaon, grimgor, etc. . . he can do a fair job of tanking against these models as well as anything can (better than most).