PDA

View Full Version : BoC questions...

BigbyWolf
04-04-2009, 20:44
OK, so I've got my favored army (O&G), I've got my slightly more competitive army (VC), so I've decided to start up an army to use just for kicks, and the lucky winner is...Beasts!

I know they're due to be redone at some point, but instead of waiting around for that I'm getting stuck in straight away. The only problem is I've not played against many BoC armies in my time (the only ones that stick in the mind are a Superherd + Dragon Ogres and Shaggoth and an entirely cow nurgle army, so was looking for a bit of advice from more experienced BoC players...

1. I love the Doombull model and definately want one as my general, but this takes away the ambush ability- how much of a loss is this? As Furies are unavailable nowadays it seems like Ambushers are the only way to stop a missile heavy-army from tearing up my troops.

2. What is the best Gor/Ungor ratio for beastherds?

3. I want to run a few units of Minotaurs/ Trolls...are they better 3 or 4 (or more) strong?

4. Doombulls/ Minos are currently a bit short on protection...I would personally prefer to take a Tzaanbull in a Tzeentch marked unit of Minos, but TBH the extra wound or 5+ scaly skin offered by the mark of Nurgle makes them a lot tougher prospect.

5. And finally...Is Gothor + Chariots + 3 Giants a bit too much? :cheese:

Herod
04-04-2009, 21:13
OK, so I've got my favored army (O&G), I've got my slightly more competitive army (VC), so I've decided to start up an army to use just for kicks, and the lucky winner is...Beasts!

I know they're due to be redone at some point, but instead of waiting around for that I'm getting stuck in straight away. The only problem is I've not played against many BoC armies in my time (the only ones that stick in the mind are a Superherd + Dragon Ogres and Shaggoth and an entirely cow nurgle army, so was looking for a bit of advice from more experienced BoC players...

1. I love the Doombull model and definately want one as my general, but this takes away the ambush ability- how much of a loss is this? As Furies are unavailable nowadays it seems like Ambushers are the only way to stop a missile heavy-army from tearing up my troops.

2. What is the best Gor/Ungor ratio for beastherds?

3. I want to run a few units of Minotaurs/ Trolls...are they better 3 or 4 (or more) strong?

4. Doombulls/ Minos are currently a bit short on protection...I would personally prefer to take a Tzaanbull in a Tzeentch marked unit of Minos, but TBH the extra wound or 5+ scaly skin offered by the mark of Nurgle makes them a lot tougher prospect.

5. And finally...Is Gothor + Chariots + 3 Giants a bit too much? :cheese:

1: Ambush is overated as it stands now, an I don't think you will miss it much. The value in it IMO is primarily psychological. To compensate you might consider some extra hounds/centigors to threaten shooting units quicker.

2: Ratio depends on what you are using it for. The base smallest unit is good for ambushing, screen or diverting (5/5). For combat with a character you would pad upwards of 17 - 21. I usually go 7 or so Gors inc champ, and the rest in Ungors in a combat herd. If you are getting down to your ungors in a combat, it is all over but the crying. :)

3: 3 minos are good for combo charging and are easy to move around. Unless they are Khorne minos you will not want to charge them into a ranked unit. 4 Minos and you can start to think about taking something head on, although a chariot makes things more certain. I usually take both units of 3 and 4 and use them as described.

4: No matter what you do the Doombull stinks on defense. I prefer to either keep him cheap, or if you go Nurgle, then the slaughterer's blade starts to look attractive.

5: It is where I play. :)

If you are starting BoC, I'd advise you to start with some herds, until we get a solid idea of what will make the list. Mino's will almost certainly be in, but there is tons of speculation on platic models for them.

Finally - the premier BoC forum is here: http://www.freewebs.com/herdstone/

Lots of helpful people there.

H

BigbyWolf
05-04-2009, 15:31
Thanks for the advice Herod- I'll definitely check out the herdstone.

Some follow-up to my original questions...

1. What's the best way to equip centigors to get the most out of them?

2. Pity GW hve more Gors than Ungors in the box set...

3. If I group things together, e.g. a unit of cows, one of trolls and a chariot, I have different options on what to combo charge with, with the chariot to provide the back-up if the trolls fail their stupidity tests, would that be effective?

4. I plan to take the Slaughterer's Blade whichever style of DB I run, as its the only way to give him some form of protection...and S7 is also pretty good.

5. Yeah, that wasn't a serious consideration for an army, but if I did decide to take beasts to a tourney one day, what are the more effective (read cheesy if you will...) lists to take?

Herod
05-04-2009, 17:12
Thanks for the advice Herod- I'll definitely check out the herdstone.

Some follow-up to my original questions...

1. What's the best way to equip centigors to get the most out of them?

2. Pity GW hve more Gors than Ungors in the box set...

3. If I group things together, e.g. a unit of cows, one of trolls and a chariot, I have different options on what to combo charge with, with the chariot to provide the back-up if the trolls fail their stupidity tests, would that be effective?

4. I plan to take the Slaughterer's Blade whichever style of DB I run, as its the only way to give him some form of protection...and S7 is also pretty good.

5. Yeah, that wasn't a serious consideration for an army, but if I did decide to take beasts to a tourney one day, what are the more effective (read cheesy if you will...) lists to take?

Hey there,

Some of my thoughts:

1: Opinions on this vary - but I generally run 6 with spear/shield/light armor/muso. If I have the points, I would take the throwing axes, but usually I drop that to get something else.

2: Agreed. I actually ended up using the older edition Ungors (the small metal ones) because I found them easier to come by on the cheap.

3: Yes, but you will always want the chariot in on the charge no matter what. :)
I think trolls are considered a "less efficient" choice then Minotaurs by most. Personally BoC has enough issues with psychology/leadership, that the last thing I want to to is add a unit that can go stupid on me.

4: It is good - a S7 magic weapon and all, it just means he needs to live long enough to hit back. The MoN makes him more likely to do that, so it is a good fit with that weapon.

5: I think it is hard to be "cheesy" with BoC at this point, although people might balk if you bring more than 4-5 chariots or special characters.
I think there are a few popular builds: Khorne based, minotaur heavy, Nurgle based minotaur heavy, Tzeentch based magic heavy, and Slaanesh based magic heavy.
You can mark chariots now per the FAQ, so you can really pile on some power dice, and Khorne heavy still uses the "old" rules, so you can get a ton of dispel. You should find lots of good feedback on the Herdstone for this question.
I think BoC can do well in a tourney, but you need a lot of things to "fall your way", so some hot dice won't hurt. :)

H