2. when i use the power in it do the dice disappear or do i get to keep them
3. and when is the best time to store the dice in the thing

SiNNiX
05-04-2009, 09:15
so i have a few questions on how this thing works
1. if i store dispell dice can i use it as a power dice
2. when i use the power in it do the dice disappear or do i get to keep them
3. and when is the best time to store the dice in the thing

Basically, use this as a replacement for the retarded wording GW put in the book:

If the character with Rod of Power does not use 1 to 3 of his generated power dice in your magic phase, you may save them. Roll a D6 in the beginning of your opponent's magic phase. If you roll equal to or higher to the ammount of dice saved, these dice are added to your current dispel pool until the end of the phase. If you roll under to the ammount of dice saved, nothing happens and no dice are added. This can be done in the same way with saving your generated dispel dice in the opponent's magic phase and turning them into power dice in your next magic phase.

In my experience, the best usage of RoP is actually genius. If you're using an army that isn't too magic-based, get a wizard and upgrade him to a level 2 wizard (which would normally generate 1 dispel dice). In a 2,000pt army you might want to grab another level 1 wizard to throw 2 scrolls on him. In your magic phase, your wizard with the RoP will generate 2 power dice which you will then save for your opponent's next magic phase where your wizard will then generate 3 dispel dice instead of 1.

Another obvious way to use it is if you're going against an army that has no magic at all, you'll save those dispel dice in the enemy's magic phase which you can turn into power dice in your upcoming magic phase. Most OP 30pt item imo. Screw Empire.

Makarion
05-04-2009, 17:50
Most OP 30-point item is debatable (but not an absurd claim), and nowhere near as good as the Ring of Hotek for 25.

Bies21
05-04-2009, 17:54
You can save PD to be used as DD. You can't use PD and hold onto them to use as PD your next phase. You need to store DD to be used as PD.

Pretty much do you magic phase as normal cast spells etc.

If you can't cast any spells for any reason but still have dice left then just claim "I'm storing 1/2/3 dice in the Rod"

next magic phase simply state "rod of power" roll a die. If you store 2 dice (the recomended amount) then on a 1 you don't get them on a 2-6 you add 2 dice to your pool.

Keep in mind if converting DD into PD against a black coach then the rod of powers PD need to be rolled to see if they go to the Black coach.

Also the miscast that ends all remains in play and pd on the table means you can't store any (and I think you may loose them as well).

Finally if you're fleeing you can't store any and any stored don't come around.