PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Bretonnians

oCoYoRoAoKo
05-04-2009, 21:53
Hey all,

im trying to put together a decent 2k bret list with limited succsess but im having some troubles especially against VC. Here is what i have so far:

Bret Lord: 413
Hippogryph, Silver Lance of the Blessed, Curass of Fortune, Virtue of Discipline, Shield.

This guy is my basic unit stomper. Against stuff with up to 4+ save he is almost garanteed to get his 4 kills (nullifying 3 ranks, banner) and ignoring the outnumber bonus. Great for flank charges too :D

Paladin: 129
BSB, Warbanner, Warhorse, Virtue of Duty

+3 CR. yum.

Damsel: 130
Warhorse, 2 x Dispel Scrolls.

Basic Scroll Caddy.

8 Knights Errant: 201
FC, Errantry Banner

8 KOTR: 216
FC

BSB here or in the knights Errant.

5 KOTR: 120

5 KOTR: 120

Cheap Support Units.

3 Pegasus Knights: 165

Warmacine hunters and general nuisance.

5 Mounte Yeomen: 82
Musician

5 Mounte Yeomen: 82
Musician

Cheap redirectors

8 Grail Knights: 334
FC

The Hammer. Damsel Goes Here

Total: 2000

Does anyone have any comments? im trying to stay away from general men at arms but im not opposed to putting some bowmen or artillery in.

thanks,

Cy.

Bretonnian Lord
05-04-2009, 22:28
Honestly, I think a Hippogryph consumes too many points in a 2,000 pt game. A Bret. Lord on Horseback with a lance and Virtue of Knightly Temper tears through rank and file nearly as well as a Hippogryph Lord for a couple hundred less points. Just slap him in a unit for those extra 4-5 wounds on the charge.

The Paladin BSB's setup is nice, but he's very vulnerable, with only a 3+ armor save. I like the idea of a combat resolution bomb, but I've started fielding my BSB with Sword of Might and Gromril Great Helm. Does not provide as much combat resolution, but IMO the extra strength and survivability are worth it.

Damsel looks okay, since Bretonnian magic is best suited for defensive play.

I recommend beefing up at least one of the MSU KotR units and switching the warbanner from the BSB to them. At the moment you've only got two solid lances of knights, with one of those lances subject to Impetuous Tests.

Pegasus Knights are good, consider beefing them up one extra knight if you go against shooty heavy armies.

If you have two units of 5 Yeomen, I'd recommend using them as support units over the MSU KotR, which are better used as solid lances.

8 Grail Knights w/ a Damsel is a very expensive unit for 2,000 pts. I'd recommend cutting the unit down to 5 knights and 1 Damsel, to save points and allow a bit more maneuverability. Grail Knights can hold their own in a fight, and would probably work best supporting the bulk of the army.

Overall, I'd say the Lord on Hippogryph should be changed to a Lord on horse from improved survivability and cost efficiency. Perhaps the BSB could undergo some item changes to make him last in a fight as well.

Your core only has two solid knight units. I'd recommend beefing up the MSU KotR and leaving the support roles for the Mounted Yeomen.

Finally, if you have points left over, consider a unit of skirmishing Bowmen. They're excellent at taking out flyers/fast cavalry which pose the main threat to Bretonnian knights' mobility. Also, see if you can squeeze in a unit of Grail Pilgrims - their stubborn ability makes them an excellent unit to take on enemies that the knights cannot break on the charge.

EldarBishop
06-04-2009, 02:24
I concur that the Grail Knights and the Lord on Hippo are both really expensive. I'd change both, but even just changing one of them would help free up a fair number of points.

On the BSB, I usually do Virtue of Duty and Sword of Might (I hate having a character that's only Str 4 all the time... and after the charge he's actually better then the rest of the unit at Str 5)... though you could go for some defensive item instead. I give the War Banner to the unit he will join (KotR usually). This also spreads on the CR in case something goes wrong... you likely only lose a little, instead of losing it all.

I'd run the small KotR units in lances of 6. I tend to only run Questing and Grail Knights in a single rank of 5 models.

Like the Pegasus Knights, though I find 4 works much better.

I tend to put shields on my Yeomen, when I have the points... it helps against other players light bowmen and fast calvary (which will be targetting the Yeomen, if they have any).

oCoYoRoAoKo
06-04-2009, 10:56
Hey all,

Thanks alot for the feedback. Ive re-jigged the list and have come up with the following:

Bret Lord: 413
Hippogryph, Silver Lance of the Blessed, Curass of Fortune, Virtue of Discipline, Shield.

I would like to test out this guy some more before i drop him all together so for the time being he stays. I may downgrade his hippo tho to a royal pegasus, and use him for a more supportative role, giving me 150 more points to play with (prolly to buy more peg knights or a couple of units of bowmen).

Paladin: 114
BSB, Sword of Might, Warhorse, Virtue of Duty

Damsel: 130
Warhorse, 2 x Dispel Scrolls.

8 Knights Errant: 201
FC, Errantry Banner

8 KOTR: 241
FC, War Banner

6 KOTR: 144

6 KOTR: 144

4 Pegasus Knights: 220

5 Mounted Yeomen: 82
Musician

5 Mounted Yeomen: 82
Musician

5 Grail Knights: 220
FC

Total: 1995

what do you think? instead of the 4th pegasus, i could always drop one dispel scroll for the chalice of malfleur and buy a unit of 10 skirmishing bowmen.

Cy.

Hospitaler
06-04-2009, 12:15
Unless you are completely set on the Hippogriph, I would just put your lord on a warhorse and bulk up the two KotR units to 8 with FC. This will give you 4 full knight units instead of 2, which will be more effective overall.
The Lord will still be killy, but have better protection, and save you points for a larger army.
Keep you Pegs at 4, because they then have to lose 2 models before being unable to break ranks, and everyone just loves Peg knights :)