PDA

View Full Version : Mark of Nurgle Question

SiNNiX
07-04-2009, 09:34
When using shooting that requires rolls to hit and engaging a unit with a character inside that has Mark of Nurgle (but the unit does not), how does that work? Does it then serve no purpose because the shooting isn't targeting the character, it's targeting the unit? What if he fails a "Look Out, Sir!" rule and it is targeting him at that point?

havoc626
07-04-2009, 09:42
The rules state you take the penatly when 'targeting' a model with the MoN, so in the example, you would not take a penatly for shooting at the character in the unit.

As for the Look out sir, take into account that you roll to hit(in the case of a bolt thrower) before the check is taken, so once again, you gain nothing from the MoN.

Briohmar
07-04-2009, 09:49
Actually, Havoc, you have this one backwards. If the shot is at the MoN character, then yes, it is at -1 BS, and after the roll to hit, if successful, then the Character gets the look out sir. If the shot is at the unit, then the -1 BS doesn't apply, but the character can not be hit.

Gazak Blacktoof
07-04-2009, 10:22
You would only take the penalty if you were attempting to snipe the character with the MoN. Standard ranged fire randomises against a small unit only after the roll to hit.

I don't think that any sniping attack that makes a to hit roll allows a look out sir roll, that only applies to template weapons. The only sniping weapons are pin point.

You could "canon-snipe" the character but there's no roll to hit for that.

SiNNiX
07-04-2009, 16:56
Thanks for the replies!

Briohmar
08-04-2009, 10:05
If you fire a bolt thrower to specifically hit a Mark of Nurgle Character inside of a non-Nurgle marked unit, then I believe the -1 BS for Nurgle Mark would apply, and as it is a warmachine firing, then the look out sir rule would also apply. If it were a Hochland long rifle, then no, the look out sir would not apply. Using the Bolt Thrower to Cannon Snipe is a legitimate option, and one of the very few times when this question would even apply. That is how I get my interpretation.

You sir are the one who drags down the reputation of Warseer. Instead of looking for a logical interpretation of a rule, you instead attack someone who's view does not match your own. Consider your post reported to the mods.

Cambion Daystar
08-04-2009, 10:28
Using the Bolt Thrower to Cannon Snipe is a legitimate option, and one of the very few times when this question would even apply. That is how I get my interpretation.

You cannot target a specific model in a unit with a boltthrower.

Gazak Blacktoof
08-04-2009, 10:41

Indeed, though you can hit a character or champion if the unit is packed with them or you get a flank shot on a shallow unit. I'm not sure if you ever get a look out sir roll against them even after reading the relevant paragraphs in the BRB. There might be something to cover it in an FAQ.

You still don't target the character with the MoN though, only the unit as a whole, so no -1 to hit.

Briohmar
08-04-2009, 10:49

I will have to look that one up. I have always played that, just the same as with a cannon, you may pick the point of impact on a unit with a bolt thrower. It is possibile that I having been playing this wrong, but I do believe the bolt thrower is considered to be a straight line template weapon, just as a cannon ball is. You may be right, in which case all intrepratations of the question of being able to shoot at a Mark of Nurgle character in a non-Nurgle unit are invalid except for a Hochland. Also in which case, as I have contended all along, the MoN would not apply.

stripsteak
08-04-2009, 15:51
I will have to look that one up. I have always played that, just the same as with a cannon, you may pick the point of impact on a unit with a bolt thrower. It is possibile that I having been playing this wrong, but I do believe the bolt thrower is considered to be a straight line template weapon, just as a cannon ball is. You may be right, in which case all intrepratations of the question of being able to shoot at a Mark of Nurgle character in a non-Nurgle unit are invalid except for a Hochland. Also in which case, as I have contended all along, the MoN would not apply.

the bolt thrower can only hit a character if the rank you are hitting is composed only of characters (or the unit is <5 RnF models). and then it is randomized among them. you only ever target a unit with the bolt thrower.

WLBjork
09-04-2009, 05:00
I will have to look that one up. I have always played that, just the same as with a cannon, you may pick the point of impact on a unit with a bolt thrower. It is possibile that I having been playing this wrong, but I do believe the bolt thrower is considered to be a straight line template weapon, just as a cannon ball is.

If you have a rank consisting entirely of characters, then yes you hit a randomly determined character (you cannot chose however). If ther are less than 5 R'n'F models, then you can randomise. Otherwise it must hit a R'n'F model.

The bolt does not travel in a straight line, it can "warp" around (it certainly isn't a template).

Consider a Bretonnian Lance. 2 Paladins and a Unit Standard in the front rank (Standard centred); Champion, Damsel and Musician in the second (Damsel centred); and 3 rank and file bringing up the rear:

KKK
CDM
PSP

The bolt thrower will hit the Unit Standard, then the Musician and finally any R'n'F model (if it gets that far).