PDA

View Full Version : units in forests and shooting

fishound7
08-04-2009, 08:47
If you have a unit of handgunners in a forest Thats halfway in the forest and halfway out set up in a line and the enemy shoots at the unit with crossbows or whatever do they get a cover save?? The handgunners by the way can be seen as they are only in 1" of the forest

WusteGeist
08-04-2009, 08:52
Those models clearly in the woods get a -1 to be hit for light cover. The rest are hit with no bonuses IE the enemy shooter gets normal +/- for shooting.

Ikhoornix
08-04-2009, 11:29
We usually look at where the majority of the unit is.
If more models are in the woods than out in the open, they get a -1 to be hit.

stripsteak
08-04-2009, 15:46
We usually look at where the majority of the unit is.
If more models are in the woods than out in the open, they get a -1 to be hit.

as you should be playing it. pg 27 has the specific rules. if over half the unit, or in the case of single models half the body are in cover the whole unit gains the affect.

garythewargamer
08-04-2009, 19:24
good question and good responses especially the above one.

Gobboman10
08-04-2009, 22:02
Agreed with above

Spirit
08-04-2009, 22:31
Im sure your not being this stupid and have just mixed up the wording. But there are no cover saves in warhammer.

dariakus
08-04-2009, 23:35
What if your shooty unit is inside the forest shooting out. Do things they're shooting at count as being in cover? I assume they do, but that just seems odd for some reason.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 00:16
What if your shooty unit is inside the forest shooting out. Do things they're shooting at count as being in cover? I assume they do, but that just seems odd for some reason.

No, thats a 40k rule.

dariakus
09-04-2009, 01:57
No, thats a 40k rule.

Which bit is a 40k rule? Firing from cover?

In WFB, if I'm inside a forest but have line of sight to something that's not within a forest, does my opponent get the -1 to hit for cover? I know that if he were shooting at me I'd get it, but what I'm not clear on is if he'd get it.

I've played both WFB and 40k in the past, so I may be confusing the two :|

Lord Yawgmoth
09-04-2009, 04:23
Your opponents do not get the soft cover bonus if you shoot at them from a wood.

Please also note that unlike the 'being shot at' rules (more people may die than are seen by the enemy)...only models that are less than 2" in the woods may shoot, so it may end up that only part of the unit may shoot.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 13:54
The only time you only get a -1 for cover when you shoot at something is if the unit you are targeting is in the cover, regardless of your position.

dariakus
09-04-2009, 15:56
The only time you only get a -1 for cover when you shoot at something is if the unit you are targeting is in the cover, regardless of your position.

Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone :)

MarcoPollo
09-04-2009, 16:44
as you should be playing it. pg 27 has the specific rules. if over half the unit, or in the case of single models half the body are in cover the whole unit gains the affect.

That's interesting.

I always played it like this:

1) any models that can shoot at target that is not in the woods, has no modifier. Even if that is only one model not in cover.

2) any models that can only shoot at models in cover, have a -1 modifier applied to their roles.

This is much the same way that models shoot at units half in short range and half in long range.

Tykinkuula
10-04-2009, 14:40
That's interesting.

1) any models that can shoot at target that is not in the woods, has no modifier. Even if that is only one model not in cover.

2) any models that can only shoot at models in cover, have a -1 modifier applied to their roles.

This is much the same way that models shoot at units half in short range and half in long range.

And as the book and posts above already tell you, you're playing it wrong.

dariakus
10-04-2009, 19:46
That's interesting.

That sounds closer to the 40k true LOS rules.

nosferatu1001
10-04-2009, 23:32
Dariakus - nope, it isn't. even 40K uses majority of unit to determine cover saves...

CGLover
11-04-2009, 09:13

And on which page is that rule? As far as I know ,if your shooting from a forest at me I get solf cover -1 to hit.

Lord Yawgmoth
11-04-2009, 18:02
And on which page is that rule? As far as I know ,if your shooting from a forest at me I get solf cover -1 to hit.

its more of an absence of a rule.

The rules state that if you are shooting at a model who is in soft cover, you get -1 to shoot.
It never mentions shooting out of cover, and thus, no rule applies.

(also, another random aside: does two negatives make a negative in England? because there are sometimes cases where they say to "minus -1" from a certain roll, and the Math Major inside of me dies a little bit.)