PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - 1000 Point List

Luthor
09-04-2009, 16:28
This is my first Vampire Counts list, and first Warhammer Fantasy List for that matter so I tried my best to make an all around good fighting force. Please post any ways to make it better, I need all the help I can get! :)

Vampire - 195 pts.
Dark Acolyte
Master of the Dead
Flayed Hauberk
Scepter de Noirot

20 Skeleton Warriors - 180 pts.
Full Command

Full Command

10 Crypt Ghouls - 88 pts.
Crypt Ghast

Corpse Cart - 100 pts.
Unholy Lodestone

5 Black Knights - ?
Barding
Full Command

Varghulf - ?

Total: 1003 pts. (Totals going from memory)

My main plan was to raise more units all the way until we get into combat, and then tie them up expendable units like Skeletons, Ghouls, and Zombies. After that I would smash them with the Black Knights and Varghulf charges to the flanks. I know it is generally better to go with one core or the other, but I had 10 ghouls and needed to fill up 85 pts, if anyone has another suggestion it would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Luthor

Malorian
09-04-2009, 16:48
No need fot scepter de noirot in a small list like this. The vanhel book will be much moree helpful.

The only other thing I would change is the full command on the knights. It's not really needed and just added a bunch of points.

Vampire - 205 pts.
Dark Acolyte
Master of the Dead
Flayed Hauberk
book of arkhan

Full Command

Full Command

10 Crypt Ghouls - 88 pts.
Crypt Ghast

Corpse Cart - 100 pts.
Unholy Lodestone

5 Black Knights - 140
Barding

Varghulf - 175

Total: 1068

So even with the command we are still over points. Do drop the rest I would go to:

Vampire - 205 pts.
Dark Acolyte
Master of the Dead
Flayed Hauberk
book of arkhan

16 Skeleton Warriors - 148 pts.
Full Command

16 Skeleton Warriors - 148 pts.
Full Command

10 Crypt Ghouls - 80 pts.

Corpse Cart - 100 pts.
Unholy Lodestone

5 Black Knights - 140
Barding

Varghulf - 175

Total: 996

Spirit
09-04-2009, 16:58
I would drop the corpse cart, it wont achieve anything in so little points.

then drop one unit of skeletons and get a second vampire. This gives you a solid army that you can repair. I'tl make it much easier to keep everything alive and once you get into combat you can finish things off with the varghulf and knights.

Make your other vampire a dread knight + raise ghouls with an enchanted shield and the book of arkhan. As it is 35 points you cannot have the book with the flayed hauberk on a normal vampire.

with the free points on the first vampire, give him the black periapt, this gives you a possible 6 power dice, all of which can be used to raise ghouls or skeletons on a 3+

This setup gives you a very hard to kill vampire, a bit more punch in the magic phase, and less units to worry about.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 17:08
So heres my list

Vampire 100
-Flayed hauberk
-Black periapt
-Dark acolyte
-Raise skeletons

Vampire
-Dread knight
-summon ghouls
-Enchanted shield
-Book of arkhan
-battle standard bearer

10xGhouls
-Ghast

20x Skeletons
-Standard bearer
-Champion
-musician

Varghulf

5 Black knights
-barding
-standard bearer

total - 999

This gives you 2 solid units. a bsb which REALLY helps keep varghulfs alive because you have to lose the combat by 2 to even start thinking about ward saves, both vampires have a good save, 2+ and 1+, both will assist their units in winning combat and both can raise stuff back.

Added a ghast to the ghoul unit so he can take challenges, remember the champions always come back first when invocation is cast on them, this means its 8 points well spent!

Use the knights as a wide flanking unit, dont engage them till turn 3

you could always make the flayed hauberk vampire the bsb. This means your general has a 1+ save, always good.

I really dont rate corpse carts, unholy lodestone is good but its never gonig to make 100 points back. A vampire that casts and has a bound spell himself is much better, he will allow you to win combats and 2 vamps means you can get the BsB in there, which is a must in any undead army IMO.
This seems to fit your "raise till we reach combat" theme much better, and its fine to take more than one type of core at this level of points, sure, you could save 15 points on a vampire if you went all ghouls or all skeletons but its not that big a deal.

Malorian
09-04-2009, 17:17
Only thing I would change on Spirit's list is change that unit of ghouls into skeletons since that's your mastery anyway.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 17:41
Well if it was me id go the other way and have 30 ghouls. I find 2 poisoned attacks and T4 much better, especially with vampires to stop things hitting the ghouls.

But again, you have to buy the skeleton mastery on the second vamp, so in this many points it rarely makes a difference, each vamp raising either ghouls or skeletons should work ok. And it spices things up a bit! lol

Luthor
09-04-2009, 23:02
Thanks for the suggestions!

If I'm only running one unit of Skeletons I may drop the ghouls because I'd have the models to make another unit of 20 skellies. I'll try to get a game together next weekend and let you guys know how everything turns out.

Also, when do you guys suggest Grave Guard would become useful? Blood Knights? I really like the models/concept in the case of Blood Knights ($90!?!?!). Most of our friendly games are usually 1500 pts/1000 pts. atm, so do you think it'd be good buy?

Ravenousone2
10-04-2009, 00:47
GG at 1500 maybe dont think so on the Blood Knights they're exceptional at 2000 and 2250 tho.

Gobboman10
10-04-2009, 20:46
Nice vamp counts list.
(\(\
( - -)
((') (')
Ha bunny!!

NecroMaster
11-04-2009, 05:19
Vamp Lvl 2 Wiz-190
Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
Helm of Commandment, Enchanted Shield

Vamp Lvl 2 Wiz-220
Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
Book of Arkhan, Talisman of Protection
BSB

16 Ghouls w/ ghast-136
10 ghouls w/ ghast-88

corpse cart-75 (ASF bound spell)

10 Grave Guard w/ great weapons & standard-142

3 Cairn Wraiths-150

Total=1001

Luthor
11-04-2009, 16:14
That is a nice list, I like the unit variation in it. Although I plan on getting tons of skellies they're the same point cost, so its either or I guess.

On another note I played two games yesterday with the following lists:
700 pts. Allied w/ Bretonnians at 750 pts. vs. 1450 pts. Ogres

First Game I ran:

Vampire
Sceptre de Noirot
Flayed Hauberk
Master of the Dead
Dark Acolyte

20 Skeletons
Full Command

20 Skeletons
Full Command

8 Black Knights
Barding
Full Command

To be honest in this game I was limited by both the points and a bit by the proxy choices. The Bretts did exceptional but it wasn't enough to make up for my failings, I couldn't get any but one spell off this game. My Black Knights were crushed by 3 Bulls and a Bruiser, and my Vamp died in combat but it didn't matter as all my unit were crushed anyways.

The Secoond Game:

Vampire
Flayed Hauberk
(Thing that lets you save PD)
Master of the Dead
Dark Acolyte

20 Skeletons
Full Command

20 Skeletons
Full Command

Varghulf

This game worked out better with about a 50% success rate with the casting, I screwed myself over by attaching my Vamp to a unit of Skellies and charging two lone bulls. I rolled miserable and did no wounds, and failed a 3+ armor save with a 1 and a 2. Lesson learned putting Vamps in units isn't a good idea. We called it a tie because he accidentally included a unit of LeadBelchers he didn't pay for, and if they weren't there only his Hunter would be left. On a side note the Varghulf rocked, he took out a single Maneater, held up a Butcher for a flank charge by the skellies, and took out another Maneater and two Sabretusks before he finally crumbed when my general died. Raising zombies is also extremely helpful, often times blocking charges from his Leadbelchers and giving me time to deal with his unit of Bulls, Butcher, and Maneater.

I think I like VC.

NecroMaster
23-04-2009, 06:54
I rarely use skeles because of their low WS and Toughness. Ghouls are the same points but have better WS, and toughness with 2 poisoned attacks/piece. And with summon ghouls theres really no point for armor when I can raise them past their starting size and get a +1 doing it. Skeles arent bad against units with T3 but anything higher and you need the hitting power of the Ghouls to pull you through. Try them, you wont regret it.
The Varghulf was a nice touch. Its a vampire unit though, so it doesnt suffer the nasty effects of you generals death. Therefore you probably would have won that game.

~Peace Out~

Spirit
23-04-2009, 11:50
Thanks for the suggestions!

If I'm only running one unit of Skeletons I may drop the ghouls because I'd have the models to make another unit of 20 skellies. I'll try to get a game together next weekend and let you guys know how everything turns out.

Also, when do you guys suggest Grave Guard would become useful? Blood Knights? I really like the models/concept in the case of Blood Knights ($90!?!?!). Most of our friendly games are usually 1500 pts/1000 pts. atm, so do you think it'd be good buy?

Grave guard are always useful. 1500 definitely.

But do not make the mistake of deathstar-ing them. They do not need a vampire to win combats. Keeps your vampires in your big core blocks to make every unit you have a threat. If you ever run the drakenhoff banner it works better in a big skeleton/ghoul unit, simply because they lose more models, so that's more regen saves.

I run my GG 20 strong with a warbanner and HW+ shields. T4, 3+ save and 5-6 standard combat res, very hard to shift.

Gives you a unit that can soak loads of damage and then be repaired in your magic phase, people usually focus a lot of attention on them for very little reward (unless you dont focus enough and let them die lol)

Ones with great weapons and 7 strong frontage can be devastating with the helm of command and hatred/+1 to hit, but i don't have a lot of experiance using them becaus ei hate the models so i havent tried them lol.