PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on magic+infantry heavy WoC

Sevitan
09-04-2009, 20:35
Hey guys. Keep in mind I'm relatively new to warhammer. I am reading/powering through the WoC tactica, but it's taking forever and I'm only on page 25 or so -_- So I'm hoping I can get some advice here from people with more experience then me with the new army book.

I want to start a Warriors of Chaos army, primarily because I got my hands on the old box set army from last edition. As such, I want to use most of the stuff from it, on the other hand, that's not a problem since the contents mesh well with what kind of an army I want.

My first idea was a Khorne themed army. But the fighty heroes are somewhat overpriced it seems. And the mark of Khorne lost it's anti-magic capability. So Tzeentch, my other chaos passion it is. I'm aiming for 2000 and 2250.

I wanted a strong magic phase, so I figured I'll start of with a Lvl 4 Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch. Problem is, I'm not really sure what to equip him with. Along with him, I figured I'd need at least 2 more level 2 sorcerers to get stuff done in the magic phase. Again, not sure how to equip them or what lores to go for. I hear Nurgle is popular, but in all honesty I hate everything nurgle related fluff wise. So I'd prefer to stick with Tzeentch or with the fire or death lores. In any case, I don't see all this costing less than 700, which seems steep for characters.

For the army, I was thinking 2 blocks of 2x6 warriors with shields and halberds and 2 blocks of either 20 or 24 marauders. I'm not sure what command options are worth it though. Full command on everything is my first impulse, but perhaps there is a way to save points here.

Although I had a mostly based infantry army in mind, it would be stupid not to take a unit of Knights and Horsemen, and probably at least 2 units of warhounds to screen stuff.

Aside from that I wish I could take either a Hell Cannon or a Dragon for my Sorcerer Lord, but that's something I'll probably try to squeeze in at 2250.

So I'm be looking for something like this:

Lvl 4 Sorc Lord of Tzeentch
Lvl 2 Sorc
Lvl 2 Sorc

20 Marauders, Armor+Shields, Full Command
20 Marauders, Armor+Shields, Full Command

12 Warriors, Shields and Halberds, Full Command
12 Warriors, Shields and Halberds, Full Command

5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds
5 Marauder Horsmen, Light Armor, Flails
5 Knights, Full Command

Which roughly adds up to slightly less than 1700, leaving me with lots of points to equip the sorcs/buff up some units/get some banners or marks for them. Although I'm open to all sorts of suggestions!

So basically I'm planning a mostly magic and infantry heavy army, with some more mobile elements so that I don't completely lose every single game for making a mostly infantry army. And that's the advice I'm mostly looking for, how to make this rather casual idea of army into something that won't completely suck and fold to everything (I'm not expecting much versus DE, VC or DoC), the list is meant to be mostly casual. Just looking for advice on what to do with this base to make something decently fun out of it for me and my opponnents, i.e. I don't lose every single game I play.

MarcoPollo
09-04-2009, 22:28
Sounds to me like you know what you want anyways.

For me, I think that a spawn or two would be good value as they can tar pit and protect flanks.

Also, Mark of Slaanesh on the marauders (footies and horsies) will help. And I would pursue 5 more warhounds. They are the rock in the shoe for your opponents.

MSU
09-04-2009, 23:04
First off, I'm all about using all four gods for chaos ... I mean, it's Chaos, right? Mixing and matching is chaotic, so it fits. I have played infantry heavy (slow) magic lists a lot with WoC. Here are a few things I have found.

- MoS on the Marauders is a must. You don't want your Static Combat to run away from some piddly shooting or skeletons.
- Your marauders will die, and thats ok, just try not to give up the banner.
- Put your lord on a disc and give him Golden Eye, it works, trust me. Dont put fighty gear on him, and dont over extend him where you cant protect him. Gateway doesnt need line of sight.
- Lvl 2 tzeentch sorcerers arent that good, they cant cast many of the spells they will end up getting. I know you say you dont like Nurgle fluff, but the lvl 1 spell is really good. Helps with some of the harder armies: pick off vampires, engine of the gods, daemon BSB. Two nurgle lvl 2s can kill a character per turn (un-dispelled).
- Get a hellcannon. Infantry is slow and you might as well be shooting while you are slowly walking. Dont expect too much of it though, I have wild luck with it (both good and bad). One game it killed itself on the first turn and another game it made half of a skaven army run away (yay for chain panic attacks). I have eaten vampire lords with it too. It is a good flank/rear protector as well.
-with that much infantry, you should probably have a BSB too. You can use the Rapterous Standard, but it is not COMPLETELY necessary, but it does help.
-Infernal puppet is a must have. Lots of magic and all the good armies having magic too so you can really screw with your opponents and save yourself (expecially when your cannon makes you miscast from a misfire).
-Take the champion out of your knights. He is not important, too expensive, and can be a liability (dont want an opponsing character on a dragon challenging him and leaving the rest of your knights out to dry). Also, take the standard out of the knights or grab a warbanner for them.

Just my thoughts on your list. Hope this helps.

Sevitan
10-04-2009, 00:00
First off, I'm all about using all four gods for chaos ... I mean, it's Chaos, right? Mixing and matching is chaotic, so it fits. I have played infantry heavy (slow) magic lists a lot with WoC. Here are a few things I have found.

- MoS on the Marauders is a must. You don't want your Static Combat to run away from some piddly shooting or skeletons.
- Your marauders will die, and thats ok, just try not to give up the banner.
- Put your lord on a disc and give him Golden Eye, it works, trust me. Dont put fighty gear on him, and dont over extend him where you cant protect him. Gateway doesnt need line of sight.
- Lvl 2 tzeentch sorcerers arent that good, they cant cast many of the spells they will end up getting. I know you say you dont like Nurgle fluff, but the lvl 1 spell is really good. Helps with some of the harder armies: pick off vampires, engine of the gods, daemon BSB. Two nurgle lvl 2s can kill a character per turn (un-dispelled).
- Get a hellcannon. Infantry is slow and you might as well be shooting while you are slowly walking. Dont expect too much of it though, I have wild luck with it (both good and bad). One game it killed itself on the first turn and another game it made half of a skaven army run away (yay for chain panic attacks). I have eaten vampire lords with it too. It is a good flank/rear protector as well.
-with that much infantry, you should probably have a BSB too. You can use the Rapterous Standard, but it is not COMPLETELY necessary, but it does help.
-Infernal puppet is a must have. Lots of magic and all the good armies having magic too so you can really screw with your opponents and save yourself (expecially when your cannon makes you miscast from a misfire).
-Take the champion out of your knights. He is not important, too expensive, and can be a liability (dont want an opponsing character on a dragon challenging him and leaving the rest of your knights out to dry). Also, take the standard out of the knights or grab a warbanner for them.

Just my thoughts on your list. Hope this helps.

I like what I'm hearing, though I'm not sure how to fit in all these things into the list.

Ok I get that the lore of Nurgle is decent, but could I get away with using fire or death (the only other ones available) ?

I definitely want a hell cannon, but it does cost quite a bit.

I wanted a BSB too, but that would weaken my magic phase quite a bit since I would have to drop a sorc for one.

Take puppet, got it.

Check on knights too, drop champion.

Checking some stuff, adding a hellcannon, MoS on the Marauders, dropping the champ, and getting the puppet, disc and eye for the lord would leave me with 30 points to use at 2000, and that is with two sorcerers naked...

_Kalas_
10-04-2009, 11:35
Take a MoT BsB and give him book of secrets if You're afraid of loosing magic efficiency, BsB is a must, especially in infantry armies.

Sevitan
10-04-2009, 17:25
Take a MoT BsB and give him book of secrets if You're afraid of loosing magic efficiency, BsB is a must, especially in infantry armies.

How necessary is a BSB really in a infantry army? With a book of Secrets he isn't going to be doing much in the magic phase, just trying to get a fireball off o something.

Draco74
10-04-2009, 19:21
I almost never take unit champs. Right now the only characters that I take are:
1. Level 2 caster (general) with Rod of torment
2. Level 1 caster with Book of Secrets and Power Familar
Total of 300 pts.

I also have a unit of Warriors with a Banner of Wrath.

Power Dice: 7 + 2 Bound spells
This is enough to cast the equivilate of about 5 spells.
It has worked very well for me and gives me a ton of points for troops.

W0lf
10-04-2009, 19:38
300 pts to play with?

add MoS + 4 More marauders to each unit = 68 pts
add another chaos knight and warbanner and drop the champ = 45 pts

Drop unit champs on warrior units.

For characters;

Lvl 4

ether;

bloodskull pendant, enchanted shield, infernal puppet on foot
OR
steed, runesword, enchanted shield, infernal puppet

lvl2's

a) scroll, power familiar, MoN
b) scroll, book of secrets, MoN

- Mon is best mark and this combo gives you a real boost to offence + defence. Hell i run these 2 in every list i write. If you dont like nurgle i wouldnt worry, all they will do is buboes spam and possibly cast curse or regen.

That shud be ~ 2K.

Draco74
10-04-2009, 20:43
When I do run a level 4 caster this is how I equip him.
Mark of Tzeentch
Disk of Tzeentch
Stream of Corruption
Bloodcurdling Roar
Enchanted shield
Golden Eye of Tzeentch
Spell Familiar
Rod of Torment
---------------
450 points

Yeah and all your eggs in one basket, but the guy really flies around and reeks havoc. And if I back him up with 3 other level 2 casters (one with puppet) then they really fry the enemy.
You just don't have much left for troops, but it is about as magic heavy as you can get.

Sevitan
11-04-2009, 04:00
Ok, so here is what I have so far:

Lvl 4 Sorc Lord of Tzeentch, Eye, Disc, Enchanted Shield, Puppet
Lvl 2 Sorc, Power familiar
Lvl 2 Sorc, Book of Secrets

20 Marauders, Armor+Shields, Full Command, MoS
20 Marauders, Armor+Shields, Full Command, MoS

11 Warriors, Shields and Halberds, Full Command
11 Warriors, Shields and Halberds, Full Command
(Sorcs go here)

5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds
5 Marauder Horsemen, Light Armor, Flails, Musician, MoS
5 Knights, Standard, Musician, Warbanner

12 Power Dice so far, and 6 Dispel Dice, don't think I can ask for much more unless I add a 4th character.

This puts me at 1820, so 180 left to play with.

So here is some things I'm thinking of doing:
A) clear up some points to squeeze in a hellcannon
B) Get a BSB with the Book of Secrets (dropping it from one of the sorcs)
C) Get some standards, like Blasted on marked Tz Knights, and Wrath on one of the Warriors and some other stuff with the left over points (making the sorcs nurgle for example).
D) Actually add a 3rd Level 2 sorc (perhaps with the skull in the same units as one of the other sorcs).

W0lf
11-04-2009, 09:16
get 2x 4 marauders then add wizards to these units for 48pts. The units are sold in multiples of 16 anyway and sorcs boost6 marauders whilst being a liability in warrior units. Marauders work better at 25 strong as they can take casulties and still work.

Replace warriors.

get a scroll on one of those wizards and mark them, pref nurgle, tz second. 65 pts

drop champs on warriors as they have to challenge. Give each unit a standard.. maybe try;

warriors - warbanner
warriors - raptorus standard
knights - banner of rage

Thats a nice set-up.

Sevitan
11-04-2009, 23:34
get 2x 4 marauders then add wizards to these units for 48pts. The units are sold in multiples of 16 anyway and sorcs boost6 marauders whilst being a liability in warrior units. Marauders work better at 25 strong as they can take casulties and still work.

Replace warriors.

get a scroll on one of those wizards and mark them, pref nurgle, tz second. 65 pts

drop champs on warriors as they have to challenge. Give each unit a standard.. maybe try;

warriors - warbanner
warriors - raptorus standard
knights - banner of rage

Thats a nice set-up.

So I absolutely positively can't get away with the lore of death or fire on the lvl 2 wizards?

Also, about the banners, what do you think about the blasted standard on the knights to make sure they don't die? And the banner of wrath in general to further improve the magic phase?