PDA

View Full Version : Channeling vs Ring of hotek

Spirit
09-04-2009, 22:20
Ok, just thought this one up.

The ring forces all mages within 12" to miscast on a double (i think)

Channeling on a skink priest allows the slann to cast a spell "As if the slann model was where the skink priest is"

How does this affect the ring of hotek if it is within 12" of the slann, but not the priest, and the slann uses channeling to cast a magic missile?

My instinct says that the ring does not work.

selone
09-04-2009, 23:11
I think you have the description slightly wrong

IIRC the ring affects all spells cast within 12" of the ring wearer or passing within 12" of the wearer so the slann would be affected as his spell is affecting something within 12" of the ring wearer.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 23:17
But how is the spell affecting something within 12"?

The slann "counts as" being more than 12" away and i wont be targetting anything within 12" of the ring.

theunwantedbeing
09-04-2009, 23:22
If a slann rolls a double to cast a magical missle,
while channeling it though a skink priest,
who is within 12" of the bearer of the ring of hotek,
the slann will suffer a miscast.

Why?
He cast the spell within 12" of the bearer of the ring of hotek.
He counts as casting it from the skink, not merely drawing line of sight for it like it used to be.(helpful in most cases, this is one such case where it is not helpful)

The confusion is that it worked differently last edition.
You merely drew line of sight from the skink in 6th edition.

Spirit
09-04-2009, 23:23
If a slann rolls a double to cast a magical missle,
while channeling it though a skink priest,
who is within 12" of the bearer of the ring of hotek,
the slann will suffer a miscast.

Why?
He cast the spell within 12" of the bearer of the ring of hotek.
He counts as casting it from the skink, not merely drawing line of sight for it like it used to be.(helpful in most cases, this is one such case where it is not helpful)

The confusion is that it worked differently last edition.

I originally said that the slann was near the ring, the priest was not.

I doubt this changes your description though, in my version, the slann will not miscast, correct?

That's not how it works, read ring of hotek description again :p

your gonna have to explain yourself. If the slann is not counted as being near the ring and the priest is not near the ring, how can the criteria for the ring come into effect?

theunwantedbeing
09-04-2009, 23:26
Oh...my bad.

Yes, you are correct. In your version he will not miscast, as he isnt casting from within the range of the ring.

Necromancy Black
09-04-2009, 23:26
Ok, what spirit is saying is that the Ring is within 12" of the Slann, but there is a skink priest more then 12" away from the ring. The Slann then uses the channelling rule to cast a magic missile through the skink priest.

I agree with you spirit. The rules state it is cast as though the Slann was where the skink priest is. Therefore he would count as being more then 12" inches away.

This is no different to the DE player using the familiar to cast while the sorceress is in CC or even let them cast out of the rings range.

Wow, that actually just gave me a really good tactic with the familiar. Keep the sorceress near the ring to protect her from enemy magic and use the familiar to get spells off out of the rings range.

EDIT:: NINJA'd!!!!

Spirit
09-04-2009, 23:36
Good, this should give the local DE player something to cry about! even if i can only cast 2 spells risk free it's better than being shut down!

Wow, that actually just gave me a really good tactic with the familiar. Keep the sorceress near the ring to protect her from enemy magic and use the familiar to get spells off out of the rings range.

EDIT:: NINJA'd!!!!

Dammit, last thing i wanted to do was give a dark elf MORE good ideas! But doesn't the familiar only give you line of sight from the point? I thought you still measured range from the sorceress.

selone
09-04-2009, 23:42
your gonna have to explain yourself. If the slann is not counted as being near the ring and the priest is not near the ring, how can the criteria for the ring come into effect?

Doesn't the ring of hoitek say not just whether the person casting is within 12" but if any spell goes within 12 " of the ring bearer or goes through within 12 " of the bearer?
Does the skink physically cast the spell or just count as where the spell is cast from?

What does the channeling rules exactly say :D?

Necromancy Black
09-04-2009, 23:52
The ring only works on spells cast with 12" of the bearer or targeted at a point or unit with 12" of the caster. Despite saying "affected", the DE FAQ made it so the RoH does not work on spells like Cleansing Flare unless the casting wizard is within 12" of the bearer.

There is no "casting through" in warhammer, so the ring has no affect if I target a unit on the other side of it and more then 12" away.

Channelling says the spell is cast as though the Slann model was where the skink-priest model was.

So in the example above, the spell has been cast outside of the RoH's range.

Spirit
10-04-2009, 00:00
The actual description is

"The spell is cast as if the Slann model was where the Skink priest model is. Any miscasts affect the slann as normal"

Shamfrit
10-04-2009, 00:04
Spirit and Necromancy are correct in this instance; although, Rule of Burning Iron takes care of the Ring very nicely.

selone
10-04-2009, 00:23
The actual description is

"The spell is cast as if the Slann model was where the Skink priest model is. Any miscasts affect the slann as normal"

Ah hah then you're fine :)

Gazak Blacktoof
10-04-2009, 01:10

Does that work? I thought that in previous threads people had said, no.

Familiar rules

"The Focus Familiar allows the wielder to cast spells from a different position on the battlefield. Place a marker at the start of each Dark Elf magic phase within 6" of the Sorceress and at least 1" away from enemies. She may use this position when determining range and line of sight for her spells, and whether she counts as in combat or not."

I guess it depends on whether people think the first sentence is as important as the last, or if the last is a definition of what the first encompasses.

EDIT: I agree that it certainly works for the frog and his helper.

Necromancy Black
10-04-2009, 09:28
Ah sorry, no, it wouldn't work for the DE. They measure range and LOS from the familiar but have nothing saying they count as being in that position.

It was the extra bit about letting them cast as though they where out of combat that confused me. That made it seem exactly like Channelling.