PDA

View Full Version : Legio Cybernetica/Imperial Robots anyone?

SimonL
13-04-2009, 23:17
With the return of so many "old school" things to 40k, I got to thinking...I wonder if there will ever be a revival of the Legio Cybernetica/Imperial Robots.
Bascially the robots are products of ancient cybernetic science and have partially organic "brains". Techpriests load them with orders (wetware) prior to battle. They are the midpoint between a Terminator and a Dreadnought. 5 classes with varying weapon options.

There are some fan made rules kicking around, such as in BOLS Warhammer 30k download. I was going to build some use the Epic Titans as base.

The old models were terrible I know, like Battletech rejects, but I recently saw some concept art that was pretty neat.

Any thoughts?

Lewis
13-04-2009, 23:38
i used to love that crusader model so much! I always wanted one as a kid. I think the problem with them is where exactly they fit within army lists. The logical place for them is the Imperial Guard, but how then do you create something which isn't just a transposed dred or a sentinel clone? The old rules were incredibly, incredibly torturous (WD 104 if anyone is interested in looking them up) involving program a series of "orders" using bits of card. They'd want to play differently from other models to represent their robotic nature but I don't know how you do that exactly..It'd have to be more intersting than servitor mindlock, I don't find the "You've shot the adept! Now everthing is going wrong!" mechanism particularly exciting, especially with big centrepiece models like that.

Could you link some of the rules perhaps?

SimonL
13-04-2009, 23:44
Here's the Bell of Lost Souls link...it's in the first part after the Custodes and Silent Sisters http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/09/warhammer-30000-age-of-heresy-v2.html

Also a different rules set here (page 14) in the Admech Codex
http://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_reports/codex_adeptusmechanicus.htm

And a third set (page 18) at http://www.tacportal.com/uploads/Codex_Adeptus_Mechanicus.pdf

Isn't the concept art for the Crusader awesome? I'm gonna make one out of the Epic Warhound Titan.

Angelwing
14-04-2009, 00:00
An easy way to use the models is by creating them with the VDR. You don't get all the fun program rules (from WD104), but it works out quite well.

The_Outsider
14-04-2009, 00:26
Calling Lord Damocles, calling Lord Damocles a thread with pre 1990 fluff/models in it requires your urgent attention.

---

I doubt we will ever see them back, the fluff has moved on and robots really aren't part of the background anymore (at least, not enough to appear on a battlefield).

Frep
14-04-2009, 00:33
I think the problem is figuring out in what army would the robots now fit. They are considered heresy by the imperium, and for some reason I have a hard time seeing them fitting into a chaos army. Though groups like the Iron Warriors would make sense.

Lewis
14-04-2009, 00:39
I thought AI was considered heresy...These things were too stupid to have anything apporaching AI

SimonL
14-04-2009, 00:43
They are no more heretical than the techno-organic "Machine Spirit" that controls a Land Raider. Legio Cybernetica aren't true robots like the Iron Men...and nothing says the Admech don't still use them, they just don't appear in current army lists.

TheFloatingHead
14-04-2009, 01:26
Well we've been anticipating a FW Ad-Mech army for years now. Who knows, maybe they will have units such as these to add variety to their potential army. The Valdor is kind of leaning in that direction of strange arcane war machines that are incredibly rare and used mainly by Mechanicus forces. Surely such a model would be around the size of a Slaughterer, wouldn't it?

SimonL
14-04-2009, 01:32
A bit smaller, size of a Epic Titan. Midway between Terminator and Dreadnought.

Sister_Sin
14-04-2009, 02:08
I liked the robots myself. I think some plastic versions would be nifty.

Sister Sin

Magos Explorator
14-04-2009, 08:13
I think the problem is figuring out in what army would the robots now fit. They are considered heresy by the imperium, and for some reason I have a hard time seeing them fitting into a chaos army. Though groups like the Iron Warriors would make sense.

I am building an Ad Mech force using the Witch Hunters rules, and was intending to build a couple to count-as Penitent Engines. Not sure if there's a better fit somewhere!

Sholto
14-04-2009, 11:31
The new up-armoured Sentinels in the IG Codex would make good counts-as Imperial Robots, especially with their new weapon options.

Sholto

Lord Damocles
14-04-2009, 11:48
Calling Lord Damocles, calling Lord Damocles a thread with pre 1990 fluff/models in it requires your urgent attention.
Like all the cool kids, I prefer to arrive fashionably late.

---

I doubt we will ever see them back, the fluff has moved on and robots really aren't part of the background anymore (at least, not enough to appear on a battlefield).
Then again, compare the current Robot situation to the pre-5th ed. Marine Codex Conversion Beamer situation...

With rumours that Forge World might release something with Ad Mech forces in it, it wouln't be difficult to nudge Robots back onto the table.

zoggin-eck
14-04-2009, 12:59
I've been re-reading the rules for these guys when they were introduced, along with the short stores/fluff pieces that had them fighting alongside imperial troops. Madness! (but fun)

I really don't see them in the current context. If they did, however, I really hope they don't just call them "robots" again, stick to the whole Legio Cybernetica, robots just screams b-movie to me :)

Cool_Mint
14-04-2009, 13:10
I've got a couple of robots (soon to be Ebayed or WarSeer-bayed) a Crusader, a Collosus and two Cataphracts - one incomplete.
The quality of the sculpts were poor even by the standards of the day but they still look cool somehow.

They don't look right with Space Marines but I'd like to see them with Imperial Guard; I know nothing about the rules of the game or "balance" I just think they'd look good.