PDA

View Full Version : Best value for money?

Max Jet
14-04-2009, 00:04
O.k. buddies. Bitching aside, let es think really hard, what 40k kit out there gives you the best value for money! I know we have boxes like the grey knights terminator squad but surely there are some models that gives you enough plastic to at least equal the price a little bit, maybe even comparing to other manufacturers out there! Let's hear positive opinions! =)

For me these are the following (point costs aside and look.. just the amount of material, size, amount of parts and the detail you get)

1 City of death buildings (lots of plastic pieces and astounding detail)
2 Ork truck (lots of parts, interchangability and comparatively small price)
3 Space Marine drop pod (large object for the price and good detail)
4 Tau Battleforce (I know the Tyranid battleforce gives you more usable units, but I am really just talking about the model itself o.k folks? POINTS AND USABILITY OF UNITS ASIDE!!!)
5 Guard Infantry box (the current one we are going to loose pretty soon.. the largest number of infantry miniatures for that price in 40k)

AND NOBODY DARE MENTION THE CITADEL REALM OF BATTLE!!! XD

MrBims
14-04-2009, 00:13
Tyranid Assault Brood. That is all.

Bigbot
14-04-2009, 00:15
City of Death Imperial Quarter it without a doubt the best value for money you can get.

*Looks at a 50 box set with which he has built 5 buildings, 2 of which are over 4 stories*

*looks at 60 baneblade*

*head 'splodes!*

NealSmith
14-04-2009, 00:23
Assault on Black Reach by a landslide.

Loki73
14-04-2009, 00:27
Id say black reach.

Max Jet
14-04-2009, 00:35
O.k.. black reach wins.. hands down. But surely you can name some more miniatures. After all you don't want GW just to release more black reach boxes and nothing more, right? Name some more boxes.

I don't think I would agree on the Assault brood. Sure you can really use those units ingame, but 61 miniatures of which 52 are just tiny infantry models? And the carnifexes are nothing I would call gigantic .. all these for 100 pounds?

Capt_Jman
14-04-2009, 01:00
What about the new boxes? 1500 point armys in one box? For the Sm box set contains: a Space Marine Commander, a Space Marine Command Squad, two Space Marine Tactical Squads, two Space Marine Rhinos, a Space Marine Vindicator, a Space Marine Whirlwind and a Space Marine Landraider. All for 146.80.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1400006&prodId=prod1430007&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k
LInk above.

There are also boxes for Chaos, and Necrons. However they used to have 1500 point army for Tau, Nids, and eldar.

LonelyPath
14-04-2009, 01:08
Black Reach without a doubt. Alot of stuff in there for that price tage. The Dread and Termies alone make it worthwhile.

Vindicator for having extra armour in the kit which saves one FW orders.

SM and Nid battleforces for the savings in money.

TheDarkDuke
14-04-2009, 01:26
Hmm well clearly Battleforces are givens, they are designed to save you from buying separate. Black Reach again is a given. So I am going to go outside of the givens. Not taking into account using magnets to switch out combos.

Ork Nobs. The sheer amount of option in it allow you to deck out a Nob squad or give you enough bits to custom every Nob led mob in your army with bits left over. The detail size and overall coolness of them just adds to value.

Carnifex. Huge amazing model. Tons of options, and you get enough extras to make your Tyrant the way you want. You get enough in this one kit that you can snatch up the legs/tail/torso for pretty cheap off of bits dealers or GW and make a 2nd Fex for a max of half the price. That equals bit time options.

They seem to stop making them but the fast attack squadron splash releases. They would give you 3 for the price of 2. Eldar War Walkers, Tau Piranhas for example. A shame it doesn't appear they will be doing the same for Sentinels.

RichBlake
14-04-2009, 01:40
The SM Drop Pod is one of my favourite models that I thought "What? Only 18?!?" when I first saw one.

However the Valkyrie looks basically identicle to the Forge World one. While you can only really build one model (with some spares) out of the kit, it is 35 for something that used to only be available for 85...

primarchvulken
14-04-2009, 08:28
Here downunder the valkrye is an unbelivably highly priced.converting from australian dollars it costs 47 pounds

Ddraiglais
14-04-2009, 09:10
The big IG box that had something like over 120 guardsmen wasn't a bad deal if you could afford it. Too bad that's gone. Other deals that are now gone but were good deals were the leman russ deal and the 9 bassies and a chimera was a good deal too. I wish GW would make the Apoc formations a little more permanent.

RichBlake
14-04-2009, 09:17
Here downunder the valkrye is an unbelivably highly priced.converting from australian dollars it costs 47 pounds

Yeah but compared to the old one it's still dirt cheap as you'd have to convert 85 into $AUS plus a exchange fee probably since FW is exclusivley based in Britain.

I'm not saying it's cheap, it's just an awesomely detailed model for less then half the price it used to be.

Wolf123
14-04-2009, 09:23
Yeah but compared to the old one it's still dirt cheap as you'd have to convert 85 into $AUS plus a exchange fee probably since FW is exclusivley based in Britain.

I'm not saying it's cheap, it's just an awesomely detailed model for less then half the price it used to be.
Don't forget shipping and import taxes

Nakor
14-04-2009, 11:56
Don't forget shipping and import taxes

ive never had import tax with warhammer junk. i order from the UK quite a bit. come to think of it, i have never paid shipping either

(in NZ btw)

RichBlake
14-04-2009, 12:19
ive never had import tax with warhammer junk. i order from the UK quite a bit. come to think of it, i have never paid shipping either

(in NZ btw)

Ah so thats where all our rich people who want to avoid taxes go :p

MajorWesJanson
14-04-2009, 12:26
I liked the old megaforce boxes, personally

Zedsdead
14-04-2009, 14:17
the box set of 10 tau battle suits and 3 stealths was a great price

Bregalad
14-04-2009, 23:40
Best value for money is ... buying the army that fascinates you most. Everything else is wasted, even if you get 50 uninspiring models for 10 bucks.

captainramoz
14-04-2009, 23:57
Black Reach without a doubt. Alot of stuff in there for that price tage. The Dread and Termies alone make it worthwhile.

Vindicator for having extra armour in the kit which saves one FW orders.

SM and Nid battleforces for the savings in money.

The sw is the one that provides the greatest savings

Tyranid Assault Brood. That is all.
One extra carnifex for the price of 2 battleforces not bad

weirdo2590
14-04-2009, 23:59
The carnifex box is pretty shiny, you get how many weapon and head options?!

All you'd need to do its bits order bodies from some bitz website and you've got enough options for like, 4-5 useful carnifexes in there.

druchii lord narakh
14-04-2009, 23:59
space marine battle company had the best deal (got near 200$ for free) but now i think its the necron warrior phalanx. its 360 seperate but it only costs 200. best deal.

LonelyPath
15-04-2009, 00:16
GW had that splash release of 3 Carnifices for the price of 2, good valeu, I just wish I could have afforded it at the time.

Corpse
15-04-2009, 02:02
Ravenwing squad box. You get practicly 1/3rd more models for what you pay for. If you buy that from a 20% off website, you've made bank if you Ebay that stuff.

13th post.

Imperius
15-04-2009, 05:13
The Necron Phalanx isn't so bad, sure Necrons suck... but good value.

Ganymene
15-04-2009, 10:38
Excluding Assault on Black Reach...

I think the Tyranid Battleforce is the best value. Not just because you get such a huge discount, but because of the ****-ton of extra bits you get with it. I have a plastic toolbox that is packed to the lid with extra bits from Tyranid boxes.