PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer comic books

electricwolf
14-04-2009, 12:09
I have collected and read the Warhammer 40k comics that boom studios produces and i have found that overall i like them. I liked fire and Honour and so far have liked Warriors of Ultramar.

Has anyone else read them and if so what did you think?

zombied00d
14-04-2009, 12:43
As with so much of the 40k spin offs, be they video games, novels, or 40k plushies, the quality varies wildly and is oft times very disapoointing.

Satan
14-04-2009, 12:45
Some good, some less so, but I don't think they compare to the ones produced by the black library. Though the art may sometimes be superior, and seeing alot of stuff in colour is cool. But like most comics of today they lack alot of depth, in that regard the BL ones are far superior IMO, vene though they may not be the ultimate example of "deep" comics.

Sleazy
14-04-2009, 14:01
read most of them, the one with the guardsman captured by Orks as a luck "lanky grot" was quite good.

Temprus
14-04-2009, 19:41
I really enjoyed Damnation Crusade, the Inquisition/BT and the Ork ones were okay, I hated the UM one.

Arcadian
14-04-2009, 21:21
I have to admit I found the art in the Ultramarines storyline rather lacking and quite basic. There wasn't even a particular stylistic bent to it, which at least for me might have made my dislike more forgiveable.. but as a thirty year plus Comic fan,, the unispired art made that particular story hard to read.
Others have not been quite as negative in theart, but they also have not been anything exceptional. Gnerally the WFB Comics have been 'better' in most repsects.. (Art, Story, Tying titles together..) The stories have been good overall, and interesting all around as far as I am concerned, however in comparison to most of the other Independant Comic fare out there they really dont compare favorably in most respects. I honestly expect that they will dissapear in a year or two if they dont improve..

Orion the Lost
14-04-2009, 23:19
I buy them, read them, and forget about them. I also think the warhammer monthly book was way better. Art that wasn't muddy or illdefined, stories that spanned the breadth of the 40k universe at the time, and characters that even made it to their own novel(s). my 2 cents.:angel:

Dangersaurus
15-04-2009, 01:16
The art is universally poor from the Boom Studios examples I've seen. It's not just the entry-level pencillers either, it also looks to me like their digital inkers/colorists just don't know what they're doing. I'm sure the publishers know what they're doing though... but I'm a bit cynical about "independent" comic publishers.