PDA

View Full Version : Very heavily themed armies

bob_the_small
14-04-2009, 13:09
I would like to know what sort of armies you can get that have a really heavy theme and you must stick to that strictly... I could only think of a De khainite, de corsair, brettonian peasants, empire states, high elf kingdoms and goblin armies... what else is there?

BOB

zoggin-eck
14-04-2009, 13:25
Heh, have you read the army book, WHite Dwarf etc.? I think most people could think of dozens for each army, they just don't have enough time.

At one point, there was an article each for 40k anf Fantasy dealing with ideas for themed armies, worthwhile.

My own examples include witch hunters/sigmarite army for Empire, Forest goblins and savage orcs with tons of forest gribbly spiders etc, monster/beastmaster heavy Dark Elves, undead based on a defeated chaos army, slavemaster skaven etc. etc., all in differing stages of completedness :)

Keller
14-04-2009, 13:31
You can do most any theme in an army, so long as you take time to explain it and back it up with the proper models/units.

Some various themes:
Wood Elves Forest Spirit army (no elves)
Wood Elves Elven Army (no spirits)
Empire Crusades (heavy knights)
Empire Witch Hunters
VC Bloodline (Knights for Blood Dragon, Magic Heavy/summon for Nechrach, etc.)
HE Saphery
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

You can make a themed army for any part of an army's background, or make up your own. So long as you take time to think it through, explain it, and stick to it, it should be great.

I have an Empire Militia army, comprised of nearly all militia-box models, which doesn't use any high-tech weapons or well-drilled tactics. I created it when they announced the Storm of Chaos campaign. The theme is that some local towns musterd an army together to defend against the hordes of evil while the Provincial army was away fighting, unable to protect the country side. It is led by local heros and wandering adventurers, with the army comprised of citizen levyies and ill-disciplined roughians.

Garg Foecrusher
14-04-2009, 15:34
I run a mono Nurgle Daemon army, and think that more people should do more themed lists than just picking the nobrainer choices of their respective armies.

Themed lists are fun and fluffy, what's not to like? :p

WhiteKnight
14-04-2009, 15:48
For beastmen I would say anything involving lots of ambushing led by khazrak.

HE will have:
Defenders of Ulthuan (Basically any unit of choosing, but tyrion, 1 noble, 2 mages)
Forces of Caledor (Dps, 2 dragons, and archers I think bolt throwers.)
Forces of Saphery / Hoeth (Swordmasters everywhere and spearmen and mages (maybe even teclis))
Ellyrion (reavers with lots of them, archers, and fast steeded mages and nobles)
Lothern (lots of sea guard, no cav, eagles, maybe shadow warriors, archers, bolt throwers)
Asuryan themed (phoenix guard, caradryan, a prince, 2 mages, lots of spearmen)

Chrace themed : self explanantory

Jack of Blades
14-04-2009, 15:49
Anything that includes a Demon Prince cannot possibly be based on non-theme reasons, so that'll have to be added as well. Aside from that there's pretty much anything you can theme your armies on, really.

Matt1982
14-04-2009, 16:19
I come at armies from the opposite side to the OP I guess, I get a thematic image and then create the army around it. Without that background story in my head my interest in an army quickly fades and motivation to paint them doesnt even get off the ground.

O&G'sRule
14-04-2009, 17:17
All armies can do heavy themes. Chaos can do lots, all mounted, all monsters, all marauders, all warriors. Orcs and goblins can go all night goblin, all orc, all feral (savage orcs & forest gobbos), DE's can do full witch elf armies, or full shooting armies etc etc, dwarfs can do gunlines or troop armies, empire the same plus a mounted army, noble or religious nutter army, skaven have all the clan lists at the back of the book, Daemons can be mono god, tomb kings can do chariots armies or troops, wood elves can do forest spirit lists or elf lists, HE's can do a spot the core unit swordmasters list or shooty or mounted list or magic heavy dragon list. theres tonnes of themes you can do

BLARGAG!!!
14-04-2009, 17:27
I am in the process of building a Throng of Karak Kadrin list (no from the SoC cuz my gaming group won't let me use that list) that uses the Slayer models as warriors and then maxes out on Slayers for special choices.

A pretty heavy theme if you ask me.

Disciple of Caliban
14-04-2009, 18:19
There are a sack full of themed armies, a few examples from me (based either on armies i've built, or ones i've seriously considered building):

The army of Caledor (twin dragons, dragon princes, and a sprinkle of core),
Shrine of Asuryan (Caradryan, big blocks of pheonix guard, characters and core as you prefer),
The wild hunt (Orion, wild riders, dryads + any of the more aggresive denizens of the wood that you like),
Khorne Daemons,
The fall of Ulric (my current project, 2 big blocks of teutogen guard on 25mm bases, a lot of the old metal chaos knights with white wolf hammers all led by Ar ulric).

Walls
14-04-2009, 18:22
I was thinking of doing an all spider mounted goblin army once. Lots of "counts as" in the army with modelled spiders as such: Wolf riders, boars, chariots etc

Gaargod
14-04-2009, 18:33
Lizards can do some interesting (and still competitive) themed armies too like:

Sacred defenders - many saurus, slann with TG
Retribution (think chasing down those who attacked a city) - carnosaur lord + cavalry, obligatory skink core
Hunting party - lots and lots of skink skirmishers, some salamanders and terradons, even some chameleons if you want to be fluffy. Works best at lower points values
Monster heavy - Carnosaur lord, lots of stegs

Lord0rcus
14-04-2009, 18:38
I did a lizardmen Dinosaur army, with a Carnosaur, engine of the Gods, 2 baby stegadons, cold one riders, terradons and salamanders with skinks as core. It did very well against a chaos mortals army.

dwarfhold13
14-04-2009, 21:02
i have three themed list dark elf armies.. the first was an all corsair list based around lokhir.. it was the looser of the 3 fluff wise but the core of the army was corsairs..
2nd is in my painting log and is an all mounted/monster list for the dark elves (which you can do with a few other armies)
3rd is the all khainite army you were talking about with crone, 3 units of witches, 2 death hags, cauldron, and executioners
Jon

Kayin
15-04-2009, 01:34
I have been taking a Savage orc army to the last few tournies i went to.

It has savage orc characters, boys, boar boys and a Giant.

Really restrictive, but at the same time, very silly and unreliable.

Vinsanity
15-04-2009, 08:08
Wood Elves also have a Wild Hunt themed one, with Orion as General and Wild Riders as core. Doesn't get much more themed than that imo ;)

WusteGeist
15-04-2009, 08:43
I can not talk for most here, but theme runs my army more than just about anything else. My army is called the Unholy Crusade.
It is the following.
Large block of black knights using tomb king heavy cav but with the empire shields with crosses, green stuff decayed robes hoods and barding.
80 skeletons converted with odd hand weapons to look like curved blades and green stuff robes. The idea was for them to look like dead followers of the crusade.
2 units of 3 wraiths done to look like knights templar. Green stuff coifs.
3 corpse carts hand made from construction wood and the chasis from empire volley guns.

I am in the process of making a different style army that will keep the same theme but slightly different. The idea for this new one is the vampire lord (in the old list he was the Lord Marshall who even in death kept on with the crusade), time has caught up with him and can no longer sustain his coperal form. So he has become ethereal to continue the crusade. As such he had to let go of the knights who crusaded with him. This brings room in for the blood knights who will take on the crusade and continue it. IE room for more theme and conversion.

So yes theme determines just about everything for me.

Gazak Blacktoof
15-04-2009, 10:17
Most peoples' idea of theme is a cavalry patrol force or gunnery school of nuln. These themes are extremely limited both in terms of the rules and the thought that goes into them. A bit more back story can go a long way toward improving on the basic bare bones themes. Try to place your characters and units within the setting of the warhammer world.

Why was the army created?
Who leads it?
Who is funding it?
What is it intended to fight?
When are you fighting? Your army doesn't have to be current to the warhammer world, it could be an historic army instead.

dlantoub
15-04-2009, 14:08
I loved themed armies! Really I do! I have a wishlist as long as my arm for the themes I want to do. Currently near the top are:

The Empire Militia Force as mentioned earlier (Based on the Legion Free Corps from the Elfstones book)
The Marauder Army
The Tomb Kings City guard army. Based on Ushabti.

I agree with Gazak though. If you are going to theme an army make it tell a story! Unfortunately certain themed armies (See the city guard army above) only work in specific scenarios.

The idea that inspired the idea of the Ushabti heavy army was simply: The army of ruffians discovered the main concourse of the tomb city. Sand was deep underfoot, and images of heretical gods glared down from broken plinths as the band moved up the road. The chief pyramid rose into view, and as the robbers celebrated, cries of joy turned into cries of despair as the ancient guardians broke free of their stands and pressed the attack bringing down the wrath of centuries on those who would disturb their masters rest.

EDIT: Yes... I'm unimaginative ><

Having said all this though, the majority of themes lead down certain routes for unit choices unless you are doing "counts as" and/or converting a lot, which is why most people talk about "unit heavy" rather than the story of their army.

frenchmanrtb
24-04-2009, 11:16
I come at armies from the opposite side to the OP I guess, I get a thematic image and then create the army around it. Without that background story in my head my interest in an army quickly fades and motivation to paint them doesnt even get off the ground.

i totally agree on that point and regard that initial thematic image and background story as being a crucial motivating force in assembling, converting, painting and playing an army, i think that its all about what one sees in an army, once you have that 'image' it is much easier to come up with an army which means something to you personaaly as you assemble, paint and play with it.

personally i have an all wolfrider goblin army based on the image i had of a band of goblin bandits ambushing caravans and villages in the mountains ^^ its simple yet a clear theme and provides much enjoyment and personal satisfaction as your force is clearly 'yours'.

Dai-Mongar
24-04-2009, 13:29
For beastmen I would say anything involving lots of ambushing led by khazrak.

HE will have:
Defenders of Ulthuan (Basically any unit of choosing, but tyrion, 1 noble, 2 mages)
Forces of Caledor (Dps, 2 dragons, and archers I think bolt throwers.)
Forces of Saphery / Hoeth (Swordmasters everywhere and spearmen and mages (maybe even teclis))
Ellyrion (reavers with lots of them, archers, and fast steeded mages and nobles)
Lothern (lots of sea guard, no cav, eagles, maybe shadow warriors, archers, bolt throwers)
Asuryan themed (phoenix guard, caradryan, a prince, 2 mages, lots of spearmen)

Chrace themed : self explanantory

You forgot Tiranoc themed armies! You can get 10(!) chariots in a 2000 point army, fill the rest out with archers and fast cav maybe.
My O+G army is themed, but as a "pan-greenskin" force containing every kind of green man available - orcs, black orcs, savage orcs, night goblins, forest goblins, common goblins, hobgoblins, gnoblars and snotlings. UNITE!

rtunian
24-04-2009, 15:37
i have a small gripe about themed armies, and that is when its called a themed army, but it does not follow its own theme.

night goblin army with 4 spear chuckas, 2x5 spider riders and 2 goblin chariots, i'm lookin at you. there are no night goblin war machines, cavalry, or chariots. there are no common or forest goblins in a night goblin army! you can fluff away trolls (dumb enough to be led by anyone), giants (always follow the beer), and snotlings (part of every greenskin horde), but not common goblins or forest goblins, imo.

of course the answer to that is to buy extra night goblins and replace the non-ng's with them, but then you are modifying the army, which you can totally do, if your opponent agrees to allow it.

aside: do tournaments usually allow modded lists to enter? like if you did replace all the common/forest with nights (including using the ng stats for the models)... probably has to be "by the book" right?

LordofLizardmen
24-04-2009, 15:52
I'm running any kind fo Lizardmen army there is. I think I may have one of the largest Lizardmen army collected.

DarthFreder
24-04-2009, 16:14
My WHF army is Winter Wood Elves.
The old static Eternal Guard looked so cool, so I decided to do a Wood Elves army without any trees, figuring out, that the trees are at rest during the winter and the Wood Elves have to take over.
http://www.freder.de/de/minis/woodelves.php

Hragnar Goreskull
24-04-2009, 16:19
My gaming group and I run a small point escalation league and when we get to a good point bracket I can't wait to roll an all WoC Monster warband with Throgg running the show. Themes like this are great cause its a nice change from a normal WoC force and gets me painting different models. :skull:

Keller
24-04-2009, 16:34
My WHF army is Winter Wood Elves.
The old static Eternal Guard looked so cool, so I decided to do a Wood Elves army without any trees, figuring out, that the trees are at rest during the winter and the Wood Elves have to take over.
http://www.freder.de/de/minis/woodelves.php

That's pretty cool. I like it! :)

Wolf 11x
24-04-2009, 16:56
I just finished assembling & painting my Forest Spirit Army. 7 models remain to be flocked / varnished but I'm very happy with my theme.

brotherAkkyshan
24-04-2009, 17:39
I've just embarked on my own 'themed' Vampire Counts force and have to agree with Matt1982. I tend to have a picture in my mind of how the army will look and that helps form the theme. In the case of my current force I am starting off with a small 500pt 'boarder patrol'. My vampire, Nagarsh has long been reduced to raiding the local villages and farmsteads for his source of blood. Whilst raiding graveyards he has built a small 'court' of Ghouls and developed a strong kin-ship with his minions. The Ghouls were at the time following a Varghulf, and apon seeing Nagarsh bend the mighty creature to his will they have taken to worshipping the Vampire. Nagarsh has a deep dislike for the huge creature but cannot deny it's usefulness during raids. The irony of their relationship is that Nagarsh is unaware he is slowly transforming into one of the creatures he dispises! The other unit in the army consists of Dire Wolves, creatures from the surrounding mountains that Nagarsh has feed from and converted to undead. These act as his personal 'hunting hounds', an affectation maybe harking back to his previous life as a nobleman hunter.

See... easy isn't it?! :p

In all seriousness though I'd rather play with a force that is somehow personal to me rather than pick what I think will win games. I like the way you can make your games more 'narrative'. I'm hoping to slowly expand Nagarsh's warband, maybe by adding units of dead from sides he has fought (zombie Elves, undead Orcs... you get the idea!

DarthFreder
24-04-2009, 17:46
That's pretty cool. I like it! :)
Thanks, actually I never played it. The idea was there and had to be brought to life.

Mercules
24-04-2009, 18:39
I put together an Empire Army for 750-1000 points. The army was a lord's personal troops. He was a follower of Ulric(no I didn't use the older list, just the most recent book) and was always part of the White Wolves. His force he put together was mobile and hard hitting. His children were raised to follow certain codes and became Priest of Ulric(counts as Priests of Sigmar). Both were mounted, well armored, and carried Cavalry Hammers(GWs).

2 units of Knights also armed with GWs.
2 units of Pistoliers.
2 units of Outriders.

That was the 1k list and the 750 dropped a couple units. It worked ok, but it was nicely themed.

popisdead
29-04-2009, 22:44
there are probably half a dozen per book (more for O&G).

In WE alone I can do:
balanced
all elf
all FS
Orion (heavy on WR)
Drycha (heavy on dryads and "deepstrike")
all mounted (kinda sucky but sillyness abound to see heroes on great eagles)
Eternal Guard core (so move-tactical over shooting/skirmish)

uh,.. well there you go. Seven out of one book without batting an eyelash.