PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good time to start a TK army?

Meraell
14-04-2009, 17:06
Helloooooooooo, one of my friends is playing atm with a Dwarf army and he is a bit tire of them now (too much years playing with them).

He is thinking of starting a TK army but he is doubting because in theory they'll be release end of this year/beginning of next year and if he buy now all the army in the release there will be new models, maybe plastic tomb guard, etc?

What do you recommend him guys, start the TKs or wait?

Thanks!;)

Malorian
14-04-2009, 17:09
If you like an army start it. It's not like they are going to drop skeletons from the list, and the current ones don't really look that bad.

As for the metal tomb guard that's up to him, but I know I wish I had picked up a unit of the old metal grave guard before they were replaced with the new ones.

Crube
14-04-2009, 17:13
I'd certainly start.

As Malorian has said, there are always going to be Skeletons in the list, and the Chariots etc are quite new anyway. Maybe leave the units like Tomb Guard until nearer the time, to see if you like the newer sculpts, but personally I love the current TG models ;)

Pretty much anything he buys now should look fine in a larger army should he wish to expand later IMO

Mozzamanx
14-04-2009, 17:16
If he's worried about models being invalidated, he could always convert the Vampire ones. They still look awesome, the only work is giving them Tomb king shields. Just use the torsos without armour and they fit the bill perfectly.

Chiron
14-04-2009, 22:21
Its always a good time to start TK as they are awesome

Zoolander
14-04-2009, 22:29
I never start an army before the book comes out unless I know what models they are going to replace. Why? You might spend $45 on a giant only to find out there's a new, cheaper, better, plastic one being redone. Plus, there's not much advantage to buying ahead of time. It's not likely the price will go up drastically.

It's not like they are going to drop skeletons from the list, and the current ones don't really look that bad
But what if they release new ones that look twice as good? then you are stuck fielding the old, out of date skellies.

However, having said that, if you can find a whole TK army online for cheap, get it! Replacing the few models that get changed will still save you $$.

However, if you are asking if this is a good time to do TK based on power levels, you might like to know that TK are at the bottom of the barrel right beside Ogres, if you ask me.

Malarowski
15-04-2009, 02:39
I traded my entire old stuff for TK. Now I have everything I could ever wish, and if they release new stuff it won't be a biggie to replace some of them. I would start, since as mentioned before chariots most likely will change very little, and most stuff looks quite nice now already anyway.

jason
15-04-2009, 02:50
If you like the look of the army, a jump start can get you the core units painted (these are the least likely units to change). Also, you can get a feel for how the army plays (proxy, etc), and have a better idea which of the newer sculps to add to your list. Also, I am totally unbiased when I answer your query - YES!