PDA

View Full Version : Trying to name my original colour scheme CSM army!

Astraeos
14-04-2009, 21:35
Been through a bit with this army so far, first it was going to be The Revenants (my original idea, I did plan to model Dark Angel style hoods on most of them).
But I lost interest in that idea and decided to paint my army as Night Lords, my favourite legion. Despite how much I like the Night Lords, I got irritated with the colour scheme as Regal Blue only seems to show up at certain times of the day! I'd paint someone by artificial light one evening only to find patches missed in the morning. And those lightning bolts, not sure I'd have the patience for them.

I know this doesn't make me sound like much of a Night Lords fan, but at some point I intend to try them again, even if it's just one 'allied' squad (like what Matt Hutson did for his Red Corsairs).

Ok so that brings us to now! After talking with my Dad (a graphic designer, he helps me with my drawings sometimes too) and showing him some of the renegade chapters in the codex, we managed to come up with a new colour scheme.

It's Bleached Bone with a Fenris grey trim, the details such as horns and hair plumes will be mechrite red with chainmail bolters, weapons and other metal bits.

But now they need a name! I did come up with "Pale Annihilators", but am not 100% on that. I thought something Punishers could be good too, but don't want to use a word on it's own.

So I'm asking for suggestions, help,advice and what-have-you here. The army is Undivided with a few Khorne and Tzeentch units (just 8 Berzerkers and that Celestine conversion as a winged Tzeentch sorcerer I mentioned ages ago) if that helps. I haven't come up with a theme yet but as mentioned, did wonder over Annihilators or Punishers.

After I have the name I can then come up with their icon. It'll be something I can paint free-hand over and over.

Gimp
14-04-2009, 22:01
How about...

The Banished

ultramarine1
14-04-2009, 22:25
The Warlords of the Night. has the whole knightlord theme and sounds really cool

Prokrustes
14-04-2009, 22:57
Bone Devils?Grave Lords?

Landsknecht
14-04-2009, 23:02
"Pale Annihilators" sounds like something a gaming group would ironically call themselves.

Try a name that has death themes. Like the previously mentioned Grave Lords, or Soul Reapers, Oblivion Knights, Damned Legion, The Undying, etc.

weirdo2590
14-04-2009, 23:07
Oblivion Knights

that may be the coolest name I've ever heard for a warband. Reckon I could get away with that name as loyalists? This name deffinatly has my vote.

Landsknecht
14-04-2009, 23:18
that may be the coolest name I've ever heard for a warband. Reckon I could get away with that name as loyalists? This name deffinatly has my vote.

Thanks, and I certainly don't have a copyright on it so you're free to use it. Though for Loyalists, you might want to make the distinction that they are sending the wretched foes back to the oblivion from whence they came, and not in the service of said plane of (non)existence.

jsullivanlaw
14-04-2009, 23:45
Most names people come up with are pretty cliche. Try to avoid things like "death, destruction, lords, knights" ect. Punishers and annhilators sound like comic book movie stuff, yuck. You could always use the name of your leader as part of the name like Harkenor's Reavers or whatever that GW warband is. A lot of chaos names focus on death and destruction, maybe focus on what these warbands are really about, like understanding the truth of chaos and the universe. Seekers of Truth? The Enlightened? Or maybe an overall idea or goal? Missionaries of the Skull Throne, Apostles of Eternity, or maybe use as many cliches as you can? You could be the Dark Bloody Knights of Destruction. Or maybe a good old fashion pun, like Knight Lords.

Raibaru
14-04-2009, 23:47
The Wretched.

weirdo2590
14-04-2009, 23:48
or maybe use as many cliches as you can?

Cosmic space knights of doom?

Seriously though; desolation sons, the unborn, Cyanden Reapers (pick a planet name, any planet name and put a suitably impressive name after it), Oracles of the Bane.

RustyKnight
15-04-2009, 00:36

Heh, I almost made a custom chapter called the Knights of Oblivion a few months ago.

Maybe you could try to make an allusion to the Deathwing. Like the Wings of Death or the Wing of the Damned. Ha, Wings of Death. That ones not overly obvious.

Landsknecht
15-04-2009, 00:41
Most names people come up with are pretty cliche. Try to avoid things like "death, destruction, lords, knights" ect. Punishers and annhilators sound like comic book movie stuff, yuck.

Everything about Chaos is full of shtick, cliche, and comic book badguyness.

zombied00d
15-04-2009, 00:53
Happy Fun Time Gang

In the grimdark future you DO NOT want to mess with someone that crazy

thechosenone
15-04-2009, 01:02
The order of malice, Neferiate Order, The Brotherhood of Brimstone, The Hollow, The Savants, The Carrion Crows, The Nephandus, The Family.

just my two cents

Lyinar
15-04-2009, 01:24
I named mine the Malconvokers. Sure, I stole the name from a D&D prestige class, but it sounds cool.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/Lyinar/ChaosLord-1.jpg

Jerrus
15-04-2009, 01:49
Pale Riders :D

Corpse
15-04-2009, 01:58
Undertakers
Merrow Angels (Merrow=bone merrow)
Silent Shades (wikipedia mythical creature Shade)

Ask a corpse about naming things after dead stuff, and you get answers like these.

*grins*

Lostanddamned
15-04-2009, 02:07
I like Pale Riders.

And now for a couple of names inspired by a band I rather like;
Knights of White Silence
The Infinite Legion
(cookie for the identifier of the band)

Imperius
15-04-2009, 02:55
Undecided: Bone Warriors

Nurgle: The White Death (Reference to the Black Death)

Slaanesh: The Seductress' Faithful

Khorne: Bonegnawers.

Tzentch: Ghost Riders

Just a few God Dedicated names.

massey
15-04-2009, 03:59
I like Pale Riders.

And now for a couple of names inspired by a band I rather like;
Knights of White Silence
The Infinite Legion
(cookie for the identifier of the band)

Sigh. I'm old. I was so trying to fit that second name into the Moody Blues somehow.

I'll just go be old now.

As far as names... Procol Harum? :) Okay, nobody will get that one.

How about:

The Fog Men
Lords of Ash
The Cinder Sentinals
Specters

Goldenwolf
15-04-2009, 05:11
Infamy Angels
Angels of Infamy
Skull & Bones

Hellebore
15-04-2009, 05:15
The Enlightened

Because they know the truth and it ain't Ave Imperator...

hellebore

Silentexile
15-04-2009, 06:39
Shifting Phantasms

Logarithm Udgaur
15-04-2009, 07:41
The Dead Lenins
Spectral Resonance
The Hated Sons
The Great White Hope
Blessed Death
Children of Vitaligo
The Hagard Harrowers
The Bloodless
Lurid Awakening
Achromatic Avengers
The Blanched Stiffs
Somber Retaliation
Wasted Youth

uh....what was the question again?

R Man
15-04-2009, 07:49
Shifting Phantasms

For a moment there I thought you said something else.

I have to say though, Oblivion Knights is actuall a rather good name. It sounds as though it should be cliche, but it isn't. I am a little envious now.

Hellebore
15-04-2009, 07:59
For a moment there I thought you said something else.

I have to say though, Oblivion Knights is actuall a rather good name. It sounds as though it should be cliche, but it isn't. I am a little envious now.

Cliche or not, it's already been claimed by the Sisters of Silence as the name for their Squad leaders.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sisters_of_Silence

See Horus Heresy Collected Visions for some great images of them.

Hellebore

Spandau Man
15-04-2009, 08:11
Sand-eaters of Kesh? Harbingers to the Fall? The Sand Laden?

Despoiler
15-04-2009, 08:20
Happy Fun Time Gang

for some reason the jackson five appeared in my head when i read that.

*starts imagining a battlefield scene. smoke, corpses, skulls, the faint sound of gunfire and there in the cente of it all is the jackson five singing "ABC" complete with a dance routine............*
*suddenly realises everyones watching* well... anyway.... yeah..... back to the topic. i quite like logarithims idea of the "the hated ones" and "the bloodless".

[SD] Bob Plisskin
15-04-2009, 08:51
I like The Revenant but thats coz i'm a fan of the distillers.

more ideas into the mix:

The braineaters
The Lords of death
The reborn
The risen
The reapers (insert blood, bone, fate, etc etc...)
The Spectres of (insert god or leader)

what kind of style you going for? funny at all? Scary? anything you want to get across? do you have a special character your fluff is based around? what is the fluff in details?

Astraeos
15-04-2009, 20:56
Thanks for your suggestions everybody, there's some good ones there. I like Oblivion Knights, but the sisters of silence have that! There is something about The Enlightened that has a good ring to it....
I did want to avoid single word names though. Dark Enlightened? The Fell Enlightened?

The theme? None yet, but my Chaos Lord is called Astraeos (not named after me, I'm just using it as my screen name on warseer as well as for my lord), and I've been naming the unit's champions after the mythical Astraeos' sons.

For more info-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astraeus

So a winds/dawn/dusk theme could be fitting.
I did wonder about Dusk Knights a while back, but seeing as my army is bleached bone I don't think that works.
I did think up Heralds of Annihilation earlier today. That's in the running I think.

de Selby
15-04-2009, 21:07
I suggest waiting a bit and thinking some moe about Astraeus, his warband, who they are and where they came from, who named them and why. It would be nice if the name reflected these things, and if it does you'll start to see it as the only possible name they could have.

My CSMs are the Sons of Lycaon, another mythological figure.

On the other hand, if I lived on the borders of the Eye of Terror and heard that the Happy Fun Time Gang were coming, I'd shoot myself. :D

SimonL
15-04-2009, 21:11
Blue Whale Ultra Heavy Armored Fierce Assault Annihilation Knight Corps

PS you get a cookie for knowing where that's from lol.

Fire Harte
15-04-2009, 21:26
Ahnihilators of Ahk'Sh'Tanor!

Sorry Crap name :D

I like a lot of these names already. I think Oblivion Knights sounds great. Kudos Landsknecht you've got some cool ideas.

MasterSparks
15-04-2009, 21:37
Blue Whale Ultra Heavy Armored Fierce Assault Annihilation Knight Corps

Isn't that from Berserk? Something about an Adon character, I think..

And now I believe that there was a cookie involved here, no? :)

Logarithm Udgaur
15-04-2009, 21:57
Click for Cookie

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45501&stc=1&d=1221292174

Landsknecht
15-04-2009, 22:27
Cliche or not, it's already been claimed by the Sisters of Silence as the name for their Squad leaders.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sisters_of_Silence

See Horus Heresy Collected Visions for some great images of them.

Hellebore

That's kind of dumb. Why make "Knight" a title in an entirely female (though now defunct and replaced the Sisters of Battle if memory serves me right) order?

Logarithm Udgaur mentioned the name "Hated Sons". Something along those lines sounds good, though some of the others sounded like band names :p.

If you're going for an undead or skeletal theme, try the Reanimated Horde, The Undying, Bonebreakers, The Corpse-Souls, Viziers of Doom/Death/Oblivion/Scariness.

SimonL
15-04-2009, 22:46
I got one ... The Black Beasts of ARRRRGGGGHHH

:D

The Grey Guy
15-04-2009, 23:16
Hey man using your 'Punishers' idea how about something like The 'Hands of Punishment' or the 'Hands of the Punisher'

Hellebore
16-04-2009, 00:36
That's kind of dumb. Why make "Knight" a title in an entirely female (though now defunct and replaced the Sisters of Battle if memory serves me right) order?

Perhaps because 'Knight' became a title independent of gender in the 31st millennium?

The Sisters of Silence are all pariahs, so they didn't lead into the Sisters of Battle. It's just a superficial similarity (because no doubt GW wanted a kickass sisterhood in the horus heresy and the Sororitas didn't appear until M36). They are also part of he adepta astropathica not the ministorum.

Hellebore

Dr.Mercury
16-04-2009, 00:47
The Vermicious knids

It will definitely inspire fear in the hearts of Oompa Loompas

TheKingInYellow
16-04-2009, 02:19
The Waste Striders?

Abyssal Legion?

Rift Walkers?

The 1976 Philadelphia Flyers?

Astraeos
16-04-2009, 23:08
That's a good point de Selby, could be something to mull over.

Hands of Punishment could be good, I did think of a hand icon myself when I thought of using punishers in a name! But everything I came up with either ended up looking like a chaos-ified Iron hands or Imperial/Crimson fists icon.

Vermiscious knids? I almost misread that as "Permiscious knids"!

Black beasts of arrrrggghhh.... maybe a chaos spawn unit called that could be fun? Wouldn't mind sending ten or twenty spawn across the battlefield, I know people say they suck but at that number they're gonna take quite a bite out of something, even if is the terrain or an innocent bystander!

arachnid
17-04-2009, 01:10
a few ideas off the top of my head

Nurgle: Creeping death
Khorne: Bonecleavers
Tzeentch: Sandspectres
Slaanesh: White noise