PDA

View Full Version : Explanation for Elves and Terror

Edonil
15-04-2009, 06:09
So, it's been bugging me for a couple days about why Elves have terror. A friend just enlightened me.

Me: let's be realistic here. What's scarier? A tall man clad in golden armor, with a bright shiney sword, or a screaming dirty green skinned orc dressed in black armor with a jagged evil looking sword and a shield charging at you?
Friend: how am i equipped? and what's my charisma score?
Me: average, and you're a hobbit
Friend: the golden armored man he's too shiney
Me: LOL there we go it's not that they're terrifying, people get blinded by the shiney it makes sense now

ser_hag
15-04-2009, 06:37
i take it you havent read the books...

Tizz
15-04-2009, 06:38
I see it more like in the Tolkien world (break your mind away from Fantasy and 40k) Elves are creatures that live forever despite their tall, lean bodies compaired to orcs who are rugged and understandably short lived. There's an aura of terrifying mystery surrounding these Elves that is helped along with the fact that the general population knows little of their society and way of life. I mean imagine the Elves first coming to shore, a race which was never known to Middle Earth, fighting in perfectly disciplined ranks with devastating accuracy to get their hold on the land and then not dieing long after the human who witnessed it had passed away. I mean the only other creatures to live so long are the monsters of legends (ents, dragons, giant, etc.) and those are understandably terrifying! Why not the Elves too?

Edonil
15-04-2009, 06:41
I've read the books. Still don't see a reason why they're terrifying. Although the concept of the mystery of the fey kind of idea makes some sense.

15-04-2009, 06:59
They radiate the light of Valinor. i.e They have an otherworldly aura or radiance and that's like kryptonite to the creations of Morgoth and even "evil" men that face their wrath.

Edonil
15-04-2009, 07:07
They radiate the light of Valinor. i.e They have an otherworldly aura or radiance and that's like kryptonite to the creations of Morgoth and even "evil" men that face their wrath.

So my joking idea wasn't that far off. :eyebrows: creepy.

Faeslayer
15-04-2009, 07:17
Well, that guy bearing down on you is a couple thousand years old. Carries himself like someone who's been in countless battles, and every movement is perfect.

You can tell by the way they casually slice through everything that they've probably killed more suckas in their unspeakably ancient lives then you've eaten breakfasts!

My take on it, anyway.

takaetun
15-04-2009, 07:55
Plus theres the fact that in some cases (such as Glorfindel, think there were other examples) where they were literally glowing with power. These are beings who have walked with the gods since time immemorial, and think and act so utterly alien that its incomprehensible. Even orcs and goblins think similarly to dwarves and men, but elves are totally and utterly foreign.

They are friends with the gods, ancient beyond belief, perfect beyond belief, and they are going to ^&$* you up.

Yeah, I'd say they'd cause terror in me.

Nilhouse
15-04-2009, 13:18
They are otherworldly and creepy. All the stories you hear about elves while growing up are about how scary they are, how they cannot be killed, and all the terrifying things they do. Orcs are just ruffians, and your pappy probably killed a few in his day. Your pappy has never even seen an elf.

msoong
15-04-2009, 16:01
Scultor Tom Meier has a line of excellent elves figures. In his explanation a elves' look is much less human than portrayed in the movie (come on, Liv Tylor is NOT scary). They have a more "Roswell ALien" look to them with a more vertical slanting huge eyes. They do look more "creepy" than traditional depiction of elves as golden supermodels...

Sarah S
15-04-2009, 19:23
They might not terrify me to look at, but the idea of engaging a Tolkein elf in combat certainly would.

ImhotepMagi
15-04-2009, 23:15
The oldest and wisest of Elves exude an invisible aura of power and majesty that others can sense when in their presence. They are connected with the forces of the world in a way that is akin to that of the Maiar or Valar, but far less powerfully. Among those with good hearts, this inspires awe and reverence. Those tainted by evil are filled with despair and dread by their perfection and might. This is especially true of wraiths and other creatures that can see into the twilight realms, since this reveals the raw blinding light of an Elf's soul.

At least, that's how I've always understood it. :)

Axis
16-04-2009, 00:09
Terror doesn't just mean look scary. They are the best fighters in middle earth, of course you've got to pluck up some courage to charge them because there is a good chance you'll just get chopped up.

malisteen
16-04-2009, 23:32
they've probably killed more suckas in their unspeakably ancient lives then you've eaten breakfasts!

But what about second breakfast?

FuzzyOrb
16-04-2009, 23:58
But what about second breakfast?

I don't think that elves know about that.;)

Faeslayer
17-04-2009, 00:27
Okay, maybe not more than HOBBITS have eaten breakfasts....

Corvus Corone
17-04-2009, 21:46
Simple.

Elves are the oldest, most experienced and elite warriors who ever lived. They are the best creatures who ever fought.

Their enemies know this.

This is terrifying.

I think that elves are a fair list at the moment, though not for me. I look forward to playing elves though; a chance to test my uruk-hai against middle-earths finest would be great fun!

takaetun
18-04-2009, 01:02
Skill is not terrifying. Not all elves are elite warriors - the majority of the fighters from Lorien and Mirkwood, for example, are simple militia (represented by Wood Elf Warbands), and, likewise, most of the armoured warriors are trained, but aren't professional. Obviously, there are also inexperienced fighters in their midst, and an orc would swiftly lose all fear for one the second he tripped over his own scabbard.

Elves are scary because they bring the otherworldly light of the Valar with them, not because they can hack someones head off. If that were so, I would start expecting Epic Heroes, primarily historical ones, to start causing Terror as well. Your argument also doesn't account for the fact that many people would never have seen an elf, and wouldn't have nearly the same amount of fear in them as those who had seen the magic freaks.

I just want the Galadhrim out, then I can start doing an army of them. High Elves are too 'perfect', Wood Elves, especially those from Mirkwood, are a lot darker.