PDA

View Full Version : What SM Army should i play

kurac
15-04-2009, 11:32
I've grown bored of vanillas, this is a list of my models, i'd like something powerfull for a upcoming campaign...

Terminator Chaplain
5x Terminators
10x Tacticals
5x Sniper Scouts
5x Devastators
Dreadnought

i have no problem of proxying, but not stretching it too far

Army lists...GO!

Thank you

mongoosedog300
15-04-2009, 11:36
Eldar....oh wait.....

But really, have a look through some of the codex's and decide for yourself really....and make your own army list and bring it here for tweaks etc.

Whitehorn
15-04-2009, 11:50
You need to decide on your preferred playstyle.

Everyone has their own opinion on what's good or appealing, but if you feed us some information, we can use that to steer you.

kurac
15-04-2009, 12:01
I play guard mostly, so i would like somethg more assaulty, i experimented with BA for a few games and i liked the jump pack troops so... i dont know:

Terminator chaplain
5x Assault marines
5x Assault marines
5x Sniper Scouts
Dread
GK Terminators (i dont like striking last with PF)

weirdo2590
15-04-2009, 12:42
Points to considers:

Every marine army other than codex: ultrasmurfs has superior scouts as they dont have lowered Bs and Ws which is handy for your snipers.

Black templars rules mean that if your devastors ( or any unit for that matter) get shot at they run toward the enemy which aint particularly helpful on a ranged fire support squad.
Also you have neither the emperors champion nor spam marine models to make full use of the black templar abilities :P

Blood angels are wasted points on everything you use unless you purchase death company models, every squad you take pays extra points to give you a death company model whether you use it or not. Also note if you were to use blood angels you currently dont have a legal army without splitting your tacticals into two 5 man squads as scouts are elites for BA. :wtf:

Space wolves are mostly identical in play style (at least with your current model range) and rules (seeing as it says in their 'dex that they can use codex marines rules) so It would likely be a case of more of the same.

Basicaly you're going to run into this problem across the board, unless you get some new models then all the lists are realy going to end up playing the same so you might as well just stick to the vannila codex for their (unfairly) superior rules for generic lists.

My 2 cents.

Also stop playing marines and start playing dark eldar

Plastic Parody
15-04-2009, 13:08
I play guard mostly, so i would like somethg more assaulty, i experimented with BA for a few games and i liked the jump pack troops so... i dont know:

Terminator chaplain
5x Assault marines
5x Assault marines
5x Sniper Scouts
Dread
GK Terminators (i dont like striking last with PF)

me too so I know where your coming from. Being able to chaaaarrrge! with something scary makes a nice change from Guard. Im waiting for Space Wolves cause the Guard dex is due out very soon with the Wolves one to follow in Q4 this year apparently. BA and DA, while not the disaster that a lot of folk make out are somewhat lacklustre relative to the new Marine dex.

Johnnyfrej
15-04-2009, 17:01
When did thinking for yourself get out of fashion? Now I could see if you had decided on a few armies but weren't sure which one and asked for a vote on it. However, it seems you just want people to do your thinking for you.

kurac
16-04-2009, 09:56
Oh....My....God....You...are...Right!

BwahaHAAAA...I hate my fother, i hate my life...I never really got any love from my mother.....(Snif)

It's a Forum, Man...get over yourself!

Korras
16-04-2009, 10:28
Oh....My....God....You...are...Right!

BwahaHAAAA...I hate my fother, i hate my life...I never really got any love from my mother.....(Snif)

It's a Forum, Man...get over yourself!

but yet, he is right. what's wrong with deciding for yourself what to do? do you ask others what you should eat and drink, too?

beyond that: you might want to look into Space Wolves. you won't even need to convert or proxy your models, with the exception of the chaplain. plus, it is quite assaulty:

2x 5-men Grey Hunter squads with bolters and close combat weapons (a knife counts..). True Grit will cause them to use the bolter as an additional close combat weapon and thus get a +1 attack, but they lose the bonus attack for charging. this means you are somewhat less screwed when you get charged.

the terminators can be fielded as Wolf Guard.

the scouts as WS4/BS4 Wolf Scouts, using the 'one wolf scout squad may use the regular Space Marine scout options', thus getting free sniper rifles.

Devestators are long fangs. costs more points, but allows fire to be split among targets.

the Chaplain you can either use as a Wolf Priest in terminator armour, or as a Wolf Lord in terminator armor.

the dreadnought will need to be used depending on how many points you are now using. SW needs 1 HQ for every 750 points, and I would think you are above that now. thus: use it as a Venerable Dreadnought, which can be used as HQ.

oh, and you should drink Mountain Dew.