PDA

View Full Version : First post - Eldar

John117
15-04-2009, 12:44
Starting a new Eldat army, can't decide on a colour scheme. I need some inspiration, can anyone help. Got any pics? Thanks

weirdo2590
15-04-2009, 12:49
Firsly why does this just feel too much like a "get my posts up" thread.

Now with my cynasism over, sorry about that, have you considered looking at the eldar interactive painter on the GW website. Whats your theme? What does your army comprise of? Its quite difficult to come up with suggestions that woul be appliccable just from "a new eldar army".

Your colour scheme should usualy match your army theme, ie pick an existing craftworld thats themed how you want yours to be themed and use/modify its colour scheme to suit your own tastes.

Darkstar2586
15-04-2009, 13:09
YME LOC all the way, heres some photos from various people which i model my painting on

John117
15-04-2009, 14:28
Firsly why does this just feel too much like a "get my posts up" thread.

What? Sorry If it was a tad vauge, I didn't have long to write it. Here comes a longer version:

Thank you very much for welcoming me with some sound advice. I'm very sorry, I should've spent longer on that first post. He comes a longer version...

Hi, my name is Tom but on here I'm John 117 smile.gif

I've been playing for oh.... 3 maybe 4 years now. I've had a few different army's and have 2 great mates Matt and Joe who I can go to for a game or some advice, or just swapping stories of the last time Matt kicked my ass! I've had 2 space marine armies and an Eldar and Khorne and Ork army. That sounds like allot but the khorne was free off an old friend and the space marines were also off a friend, but not as free! My heart truely lies with Eldar, they are by far my favorite. I don't know why, but something about them just clicks with me. Anyway, this isn't a love letter I need some help!!! Basically my last Eldar army was my first ever 40k army and I've come a long way since then. (thats not bragging I realy sucked!) I went generic, didn't we all at first? Biel tan, snot green with white and red gems... block red! I've also inherrited a few 'crons and tau so I'm gonna sell it all off... Derby, England if your interested tongue.gif, and start a fresh. I'm very exited, even at my ripe old age of 16! So basically I'm starting fresh and need to decide what Troops, HQ, and colour scheme to use. I've always bought whatever looked good in the past, but I'm sick of getting my ass kicked and have vowed to buy something that might contribute to me beating Matt!!! I never beat Matt! I've thought abit more about colour schemes and I've narrowed it down to 3...

- Matt black underlay with gloss black amour plates and yellow trimmings/gems/markinds etc.
- Sam Han type red with white/bone. Like that pic which I love btw! Fantastic mini.
- Something eles! tongue.gif

I'm realy open to sujetions on colour schemes/what to buy inc paints and brush's etc. This is my new start I'd love some help! smile.gif Thank you very much smile.gi

Sorry if I annoyed you but I'm about to spend quite allot of money on a new army and paints/brushes etc. I'd like not to waste that money and the more advice the better. Jesus, I've only been here 2 minutes.

SPYDER68
15-04-2009, 14:31
Paint scheme all comes down to prefrence!..

I suggest searching google etc for painted eldar to see different idea's.

weirdo2590
15-04-2009, 17:06
Sounds to me Like you already have an Idea in your head ^^:

- Matt black underlay with gloss black amour plates and yellow trimmings/gems/markinds etc.

Sounds pretty snazy to me, and fairly origional to boot. You gonna be gloss varnishing the armour parts I take it? A muted yellow would probably work, one with a hint of orange as anything brighter might end up looking a bit...childish. I think golden yellow (IIRC) would probably be around the right shade to suit. A, relatively, darker shade of yellow would realy suit this trim. Black and gold armour without resorting to actualy using gold, nice :).

So what models did you get? Is there a theme to your force or did you just take what works/looks cool?

John117
15-04-2009, 17:32
Sounds to me Like you already have an Idea in your head ^^:

Sounds pretty snazy to me, and fairly origional to boot. You gonna be gloss varnishing the armour parts I take it? A muted yellow would probably work, one with a hint of orange as anything brighter might end up looking a bit...childish. I think golden yellow (IIRC) would probably be around the right shade to suit. A, relatively, darker shade of yellow would realy suit this trim. Black and gold armour without resorting to actualy using gold, nice :).

So what models did you get? Is there a theme to your force or did you just take what works/looks cool?

Thanks! :)

I haven't got anything yet, but I was thikning 2 sqauds of Dire avengers and a Farseer to start. After that I definatly want Banshees and Dark Reapers cos I play allot of SM. Infact I basically only play against SM. So when I think about it all this talk of colour schemes may or may not be useful, cos i mght do the aspect warriors in aspect warrior colours or I might not. Mind you there is the farseer to consider and it's proably to know your colour scheme before you start. lol.

RE the previously mentioned scheme I was thinking that prehaps a wraithbone trim to complement the black, instead of the yellow? Thoughts?

weirdo2590
15-04-2009, 19:18
wraithbones nice but then you're ulthwe, that colour scheme already exitsts :P Not that thats a problem I was just saying.

If your facing marines you'll want transports for your banshee's or they'll never make it across the board. Farseer and DA are all good though, and you can still make your aspect warriors in craftworld colours if you like, they're your models after all.

John117
15-04-2009, 19:47
wraithbones nice but then you're ulthwe, that colour scheme already exitsts :P Not that thats a problem I was just saying.

If your facing marines you'll want transports for your banshee's or they'll never make it across the board. Farseer and DA are all good though, and you can still make your aspect warriors in craftworld colours if you like, they're your models after all.

It's so hard to dicide! :( Hmmmmm.... Are wave serpants realy worth it? Surely you loose a turn of moving while they get out. If you move then run then thats average 9.5 inches. And a wave serpant would be like howver far you need then a turn of not moving then they move out and possibly not assault till next turn. And wave serpants can just be bullet magnet.

weirdo2590
15-04-2009, 20:31
If they're not in a transport and they've got power weapons at high initiative they're going to be priority one for your opponent to blast apart.

at least in a transport they can zoom from cover to cover, something that would take an inordinate amount of time on foot. That and they essential become invulnerable to small arms fire and the wave serpent has to die before you can hit them. Transport is practicaly an essential.

Threeshades
15-04-2009, 20:41
Here's a nice program for random trying:
http://www.freewebs.com/grimdarkness/painterprogram.htm

John117
15-04-2009, 22:19
If they're not in a transport and they've got power weapons at high initiative they're going to be priority one for your opponent to blast apart.

at least in a transport they can zoom from cover to cover, something that would take an inordinate amount of time on foot. That and they essential become invulnerable to small arms fire and the wave serpent has to die before you can hit them. Transport is practicaly an essential.

Hmmmm... I might give it ago. i'm just not sure if they're less of a target inside the wave serpant! Hmmmmmmm...