PDA

View Full Version : New Imperial Guard codex bring change to Inquisition armies

Frankie Chan
15-04-2009, 21:37
Now that we (soon to) have a new Imperial Guard Codex, for the second time, the release of a new codex have an significant inflence over the two Inquisition codex. Maybe they're old codex, but they're still legit on their own right.

I play a guard-heavy Daemonhunters army, and by now, this new codex bring a lot of changes to the composition of the army, but also a lot of questions. Now I have access to heavy and special weapon squads. Do I have access to a Leman Russ or to a Leman Russ squadron? I have access to the generic Russ type only or every one (as every Leman Russ type are in the same codex entry)? Do I have access to both type of Sentinels?

The new marine codex also bring lot of changes to Inquisition army, but now that both main imperial armies codex are updated, maybe it is time to update the "In the Name of the Eternal Emperor" rule (also know as the Imperial Allies rule).

It is so simple to do, but at the same time, we will so much never see that... ever.

boogle
15-04-2009, 21:43
Do you have Daemonhunters with IG allies or IG with some DH units, if the former, then you won't get any of the Russes because of the disallowance of Heavy Support, otherwise, the world's your lobster

Hicks
15-04-2009, 21:45
Like you I play both these armies and to be frank, I don't think GW will update the ally rules. They'll go with their RAW approach again, so I think DH will only have access to the standard russ and standard sentinels.

Do you have Daemonhunters with IG allies or IG with some DH units, if the former, then you won't get any of the Russes because of the disallowance of Heavy Support, otherwise, the world's your lobster

Actually the opposite of that is true. DH can have a Leman Russ if they take guardsmen platoons. It's taking DH heavy support choices in an IG army that is forbidden.

Frankie Chan
15-04-2009, 21:50
I play DH with Guard allies.

About sentinels: there is no more "standard sentinels" You have "Scouts" and "Vanguard" sentinels.

The old sentinel type is scout, but when you read the allies rules they said only sentinels. So I guess every type is up for grab.

Hicks
15-04-2009, 21:55
I play DH with Guard allies.

About sentinels: there is no more "standard sentinels

Good point, I meant good old crappy armor 10 all around "scout sentinels".

P.S. I just saw you're from the same city as me. I've been alone on warseer for all those years and suddenly you guys are starting to pop all over the place.

boogle
15-04-2009, 22:01
D'oh, it's me not having my copy with me, in this case, the world's your lobster

Charax
15-04-2009, 22:05
there are two interpretations that can be taken here - a lax one and a strict one.

Lax:
You may take 0-1 Leman Russ Battle Tank and 0-1 of either a Scout or Armoured sentinel squadron.

This requires laxity because there's no unit called a Leman Russ Battle Tank in the new IG codex, it's a model within the unit Leman Russ Squadron (even if it only consists of one model - just like there's no unit called "Penal Custodian, it's a model within the Penal Legion Squad unit)

You may take either type of sentinel squadron because they are both types of "Sentinel Squadron"

Strict:
The DH codex specifies that you may take the units listed. the new IG codex has no unit called "Leman Russ Battle Tank" and no unit called "Sentinel Squadron" ergo they cannot be taken until the rules are changed.

Most players will probably let you get away with the lax interpretation, but the strict one is more correct given the wording of the rules. I see no interpretation that would legitimately allow you access to the unit "Leman Russ Squadron" and all the variations therein.

carldooley
15-04-2009, 23:02
anybody know if you can still break the culexus assassin in the new codex? can you still take the Last Chancers?

Last night I had a bit of fun with a last chancer list, and even taking 20 psykers with carapace armor, storm bolters and surveyors (only 10 of these) I was able to fit a glut of DH and WH allies into the mix. Is this still going to be possible to do with the next codex. I noticed that this is wonderful if you are doing KPs, as they can be anywhere between 3-5 KPs. Will this still be possible also?

Acolyte
15-04-2009, 23:09
There's going to have to be a FAQ with respect to Inducted Guard. Leman Russes no longer exist (Now they're Leman Russ Squadrons-and does that mean they can take all the other variants?), Sentinels no longer exist (Again, Scout and Armoured), Armoured Fist Squads no longer exist (At all, as a seperate unit)...the only thing that they can still technically take are Infantry Platoons.

rodmillard
15-04-2009, 23:37
There's going to have to be a FAQ with respect to Inducted Guard. Leman Russes no longer exist (Now they're Leman Russ Squadrons-and does that mean they can take all the other variants?), Sentinels no longer exist (Again, Scout and Armoured), Armoured Fist Squads no longer exist (At all, as a seperate unit)...the only thing that they can still technically take are Infantry Platoons.

And 0-1 Rough Rider Squadron. Tallarn allies, anyone?

Warforger
15-04-2009, 23:42
God I am sure most people will allow you to take the Leman Russ. using the RaI logic.

Oh well, you get your orders now! You can also play Guard and take valkryie transports for your GKT against anyone who is a douche who won't allow you to take Leman Russes.

Legionary
15-04-2009, 23:58
I doubt very much that they expect such pedantry that people will be arguing that "Leman Russ Battle Tanks" cannot be taken because they're now "Leman Russ Squadrons". I wouldn't expect them to rush out an FAQ for Inquisition forces confirming that they can take things that have simply been renamed slightly.

decker_cky
16-04-2009, 00:45
And 0-1 Rough Rider Squadron. Tallarn allies, anyone?

I think you even drop the 0-1 restriction there if you ally to Witch Hunters. And you can take a platoon with Al'Rahem I think, so Tallarn allies sound like a go-go.

Frankie Chan
16-04-2009, 12:53
The restriction on sentinels for Daemonhunters is pretty sad. Sure I can use forgewolrd (imperial armour) rules to go around, but in tournament, it don't work that way.

As my 3 Heavy Support choices are GK dreadnoughts (I use the rules but the models are actually kind of IG mechas; in non-tournament scene I can use 9 sentinels to create a kind of Imperial Walkers Army.

If I can ever choose veterans as mandatory guard choices, with Inquisitorials stormtroopers, all in chimeras, I will have a real non-marine mobile strike force.

IAMNOTHERE
16-04-2009, 13:01
I doubt very much that they expect such pedantry that people will be arguing that "Leman Russ Battle Tanks" cannot be taken because they're now "Leman Russ Squadrons". I wouldn't expect them to rush out an FAQ for Inquisition forces confirming that they can take things that have simply been renamed slightly.

I take it then that you've missed the vast swathe of threads on what is and isn't a Daemon for the purposes of the GK special rules?

Pedantry is alive and well.

The culexus can be broken even more if you run them with a certain squad of psychers...or 2 :evilgrin:

Frankie Chan
16-04-2009, 13:11
Indeed for the Culexus.

About this very subject, BolS discuss it right here:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/04/40k-tactica-by-authority-of-immortal.html

The last lines about Leman Russ show that "By the Autority of the Immortal Emperor of Mandkind" will seriously in need of a FAQ.

Bunnahabhain
16-04-2009, 13:18
I can't see anybody stopping an Inq. army from taking a single leman russ XYZ. Remember, one vehicle is not a squadron.

Sentinal squadron covers both kinds of sentinal.

The new IG psykers are much better. You can still take 20 psykers and the assassin, but now they're actually useful for something other than providing the assassin with shots...

Grindgodgrind
16-04-2009, 13:20
I just realised about the Culexus/Psyker idea. Also, you could use it in conjunction with a Callidus and her Neural shredder.

Bunnahabhain
16-04-2009, 13:48
I just realised about the Culexus/Psyker idea. Also, you could use it in conjunction with a Callidus and her Neural shredder.

Yup. Has been spotted by assorted people already.

Say goodbye to that nasty, very tough unit, that must die NOW. IIRC, you only get Inv saves against the neural shredder, so it will make a mess of Nob bikers...

EDIT: And it will indeed cause ID, if it's strength is double Toughness, ie the target has been lowered to Ld 4 or less. Not worth hitting nob bikers with most non ID weapons, unless you're really desperate.

Grindgodgrind
16-04-2009, 14:12
It'd cause instant death too, if you lowered a units LD down to 2, right?

Admiral Halsey
16-04-2009, 15:17
Say, like with that new Psyker power?

Finn
16-04-2009, 23:16
I know this has been posted in a topic in Rumors somewhere around here, but you may want to check out the following FW PDF:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/ia2-update.pdf

Ironhand
16-04-2009, 23:34
I would certainly agree that an Inquisition layer could still take single basic Leman Russes or either sort of Sentinel squadron.

I doubt there will be any sort of update/FAQ since GW's policy is to eliminate "allies" from the Codexes and make every COdex stand alone. I suspect when the DH/WH Codexes get redone (in whatever form) they will have their own listings for inducted troops of all types and make no reference to other Codexes at all.

JustTony
17-04-2009, 00:44
I would certainly agree that an Inquisition layer could still take single basic Leman Russes or either sort of Sentinel squadron.

I doubt there will be any sort of update/FAQ since GW's policy is to eliminate "allies" from the Codexes and make every COdex stand alone. I suspect when the DH/WH Codexes get redone (in whatever form) they will have their own listings for inducted troops of all types and make no reference to other Codexes at all.

You're assuming that they'll even get redone. I've heard ugly rumors about GKs and Sisters simply becoming options in other lists and no longer available as their own army list. And I'm sure that the Space Marines and Chaos SM will get redone at least one more time before we see anything on the Inquistion front. I just hope my Nids don't get beat down with the nerf bat.

Hashshashin
17-04-2009, 01:51
I don't think GW will redo DH or WH anytime soon and people/tourney organizers will just have to sort out what they can/can't take.

I *think* when they do redo these lists it'll just be Codex:Inquisition and people will be P'O'ed because you'll see crazed GK, sisters and squads of Deathwatch mixed, A La Codex:Chaos Daemon <free-4-all>

Just my opinion...