PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know Where To Get Wings?

Shamfrit
16-04-2009, 00:15
I'm investig in a heavily converted Dark Elf Army Project and, in realising that I not only strongly dislike the Games Workshop Harpy Models but also, cant' afford to run 3X5 of them as I'd like, I'm looking to make them fit thematically.

So I intend to buy 2 additional Boxes of Corsairs for 20 quid, and not only have plenty of spare parts for Corsairifying the rest of the army but the bodies, heads and twin hand weapons to form the base of Harpies.

The fluff will be the slightly insane/injured/mad crew of the Black Ark Nygrarr are fed Sea Drake Eggs and start taking on the properties, etc wings. Dynamic, sword and mad stances, so I need cheap, bat like/dragon like 28mm wings to attach to the Corsair bodies to give me something to counts as for Harpies.

Either that, or cheap Gargoyles (so that they can be the statues on the Black Ark, so that the ship is seen to come to life during a conflict!)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Mercules
16-04-2009, 00:19
I think you can get some Wing Bits from the GW site.

Foegnasher
16-04-2009, 00:55
Try a Red Bull.

Shamfrit
16-04-2009, 00:58
Try a Red Bull.

You are a bad bad man Foegnasher! :D

jason
16-04-2009, 03:27
I think you can get some Wing Bits from the GW site.

Yeah, the open harpy wings are by far better than the closed ones. I remember seeing some good harpy conversions using these wings with the old demonettes. Not cheap of course, but the harpy models are pretty much the worst that GW makes.

AlmightyNocturnus
16-04-2009, 04:17
Reaper also sells a pack of "just wings" - all bat/demon/harpy style wings. I believe there are like 4-5 in a blister. I used like 20 of them to convert all of my Raptors (40K) into actual winged models (no jump packs). I think they cool. And because it`s Reaper, you can bet it`ll be more reasonable than GW.

Almighty Nocturnus

The Red Scourge
16-04-2009, 08:07
KFC perhaps?

Staurikosaurus
16-04-2009, 08:20
Do you know that the sea dragon cloaks are part of the main torso of the corsairs? There is a front armour plate that gets glued into the cloak. It could be difficult to get the wings to look right coming out of the sea dragon cloak. Perhaps standard DE Warriors would make the conversions easier?

If you don't need appropriately sized wings, there are a variety available on the GW online store (wings from the chaos furies may be perfect). Bar that, perhaps a trip to the dollar store or whatever the equivalent is in Wales?

dijit80
16-04-2009, 08:26
Have a look at Hasslefree (in my opinion the best manufacturer out there, even if they have a small range):
Hasslefree wings (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=1309)

Keller
16-04-2009, 13:52
Try a Red Bull. Ha Ha. :D

Reaper also sells a pack of "just wings" - all bat/demon/harpy style wings. I believe there are like 4-5 in a blister. I used like 20 of them to convert all of my Raptors (40K) into actual winged models (no jump packs). I think they cool. And because it`s Reaper, you can bet it`ll be more reasonable than GW.

Almighty Nocturnus I reccomend Reaper, too. If you aren't really into converting, you could look through their ranges for various models and probably find something to your liking. Gargoyles perhaps? And their prices are fantastic! I was able to make an entire unit of Yhetees for my OK army for about the price of just 1 GW model.

Be careful about size, though. Reaper models can be hard to judge the size from just the pictures online. Often their models are smaller than expected. The Bone Dragon, for instance, is not a lot bigger than a GW horse or Pegasus.

Have a look at Hasslefree (in my opinion the best manufacturer out there, even if they have a small range):
Hasslefree wings (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=1309)
How is the scale of them? I am always weary of ordering 3rd party models w/o having seen them first.

Bregalad
16-04-2009, 14:21
Here the link to the Reaper wings (4 pair for 10 $):
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/wings/latest/03181

And the size of the Hasslefree ones is explicitely written in the text:
Average width 20mm and longest length 48mm (all approx). Between 1mm and 1.5mm thick cast from white metal.

Shamfrit
16-04-2009, 15:23
Thanks everone!

This is turning, on a provisional note, into a very large conversion project indeed...I'm going as far as turning the chariots into corsairs, with new cold ones...using corsair ship hands as Dark Riders and using Senior Crew (Corsairs mixed with other bits and spikes) as the menacing and senior crew members (as Black Guard.)

Bring on the waves :D

dijit80
16-04-2009, 15:26
How is the scale of them? I am always weary of ordering 3rd party models w/o having seen them first.

Hasslefree stuff is pretty compatable with GW. I've seen people make squat armies out of their Grymn. I also use their dollies for getting the proportions right on any models that i scuplt.