PDA

View Full Version : Warriors (tyranid)

Killboss
16-04-2009, 06:37
Hello, im not sure if this would go in the tactics section (because it is based on battle field efectivness.)

I got the tyranid assault brood not too long ago. Anyway, i have too many warrior bits then i know what is good for me. I would like to know what you would build these guys with ( all my warrior WILL have atleast 1 pair of talons.)

Your help is much apreciated.

Maine
16-04-2009, 07:53
I got the tyranid assault brood not too long ago. Anyway, i have too many warrior bits then i know what is good for me. I would like to know what you would build these guys with ( all my warrior WILL have atleast 1 pair of talons.)

I usually do Deathspitter + Talons. This provides adequate ranged ability and close combat ability should they get to it. More than 1 ranged weapon can often be a waste of points as they can't use both in the same turn; if you want to give them two ranged weapons, make sure they are complementary.

1 per brood always has a venom cannon or barbed strangler.

Logarithm Udgaur
16-04-2009, 08:51
Magnetize them with these;
http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/SearchResult-CategoryID-28.html

Killboss
16-04-2009, 09:01
Thanks, the ranged weapon thing is why they all have one set of talons. Right now, with my 12 the idea is; 3 squads of 4 one with venom cannon, death spitter, devoueror and 4 talon sets. One with Barbed strangler, death spitter, 4 talons and maybe another deathspitter? Then one with venom cannon, deathspitter, devoueror and 4 talon sets.

Now, the idea here is that they advance with the gaunts and lay down fire, lots of fire and get their hands dirty.

Also, it just occured to me, i have one with spine fists, its was an experiment (one that i think has failed <_<) so can anyone advise me (unless i need to start a whole new topic) how i should go about the arm.

---------------------------------
How much are those magnets? and how would i got about it?
If it involves painting..... my nid army of like 2500 doesn't have a scheme.....
Yes, incase you are wondering, im not a big painter, i suck and i barly ever paint.

Corpse
16-04-2009, 09:33
I suggest Toxin sacs. Melee vs tanks hit rear, so str5 is a bonus for that, and str6 deathspitters+str5 barbed strangler. Leaping is a bonus, run for a turn or two, and rush into melee if you are against something real bad like a line of tanks and they cant hurt with shooting.

Other then those, I would suggest carapace, if you put them up front otherwise with gaunts in front to offer cover saves (except against barrage) it should be fine.

To mess with tyranid arms, I find that slicing down the arm starting from its center (like slicing into a straw down the straw line) helps to remove the arm without damaging the body. Tyranid arms are a .... Pain to remove. Spray undercoat inside the sockets when you want to experiment, it helps the arms come off easier. And when they do break, you just shave the undercoat off with a few scrapes and reglue..

Bregalad
16-04-2009, 09:44
Have a look at the Tyranid Tactica (where it is answered) or
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159566
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156158
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191185
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179430
(a selection from the last 8 months).

Always remember: The Search button is your friend ;)

Logarithm Udgaur
16-04-2009, 10:02
Magnet tutorial;
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62319&page=2
it is for a predator tank, but also talks about infantry magnetization.

Places to buy magnets (other than the provided link);
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9846
for infantry arm swaps I use the D0.125 x T0.063 magnets, as they are small enough to work well. They generally run about $12US, including shipping, for 100. They are sometimes available for less on Ebay.

Basically what you want to do is drill/carve out a hole for the magnet to sit in within the models torso and do the same for the shoulder where it fits into the model. If you want to skimp on magnets, you may be able to get away with thin sheet steel on one of the surfaces, depending on the weight that needs to be held.

Edit: what s/he said.

Killboss
17-04-2009, 01:43
Thanks guys.

Corpse, i basically give my warriors all the 'killie-er' upgrades and ones that help them survive (like carapce, leaping, bio plasma, enhanced scences, toxin sacs etc.) The squads work quite nice although they can get pricy......

Thanks for the links guys, i'll read them whenever i have the time (its my sister's birthday, so we'll be going out and the like <_<)

Threeshades
17-04-2009, 01:56
I usually do Deathspitter + Talons. This provides adequate ranged ability and close combat ability should they get to it. More than 1 ranged weapon can often be a waste of points as they can't use both in the same turn; if you want to give them two ranged weapons, make sure they are complementary.

1 per brood always has a venom cannon or barbed strangler.

or give them two range weapons of the same type so they can fire them twin-linked. Doesnt make much sense for spitter anymore which is why im kind of furious because just before 5th edition i had just finished converting 4 warriors with TL-deathspitters

Pink Horror
17-04-2009, 03:12
Corpse, i basically give my warriors all the 'killie-er' upgrades and ones that help them survive (like carapce, leaping, bio plasma, enhanced scences, toxin sacs etc.) The squads work quite nice although they can get pricy......

I see someone else has fallen into the trap of making expensive warriors.

Nakor
17-04-2009, 08:34
I suggest Toxin sacs. Melee vs tanks

i dont know anything about the tyranid rules, but this seems to me as if you are going to poison the enemy vehicles. poison? a tank?not sure how that works but, good for you!

Sleazy
17-04-2009, 08:42
If I remember right toxin sacs increase your strength so should be fine vs vehicles.

Personally (cos I love warriors - great kit) I have 2 squads of 5 4 with ST & deathspitter 1 with ST & venom cannon.

1 squad of 3 with ST and devourers. Finally 1 squad of 3 with ST and rending claws, these last ones are modeled with extended carapace.

This little lot was built for 4th though, I'm not convinced about venom cannons in 5th.

Nakor
17-04-2009, 09:03
oh im not talking about weather or not the rule, it was just a gibe at the realisim of that statement (yes i know 40k isnt real).

he is going to use poison to blow up/disable a tank. the idea of poisoning a tank is ludicrous, you get it?

(and yes i realise that the 'toxin; is probably some uber goo metal melting death gunk)

Threeshades
17-04-2009, 09:54
oh im not talking about weather or not the rule, it was just a gibe at the realisim of that statement (yes i know 40k isnt real).

he is going to use poison to blow up/disable a tank. the idea of poisoning a tank is ludicrous, you get it?

(and yes i realise that the 'toxin; is probably some uber goo metal melting death gunk)

Yeah it makes little sense at all. Toxin sacs though do increase the creature's strength (and also applies to ranged weapons) and thus are better against vehicles too. I think they should have thought of something better to increase Nid strength scores.

Killboss
18-04-2009, 01:53
I see someone else has fallen into the trap of making expensive warriors.

I know, first it started as pretty cheap but then i realised "OMG! all this time i forgot that bio plasma is an extra attack with and extra S, ooohh and then extended carapace is useful, flesh hooks just incase, enhanced senses 'coz all mine have guns (and my scatter dice hates me :mad:)" so on and so forth.....

Threeshades
18-04-2009, 01:58
I know, first it started as pretty cheap but then i realised "OMG! all this time i forgot that bio plasma is an extra attack with and extra S, ooohh and then extended carapace is useful, flesh hooks ust incase, enhanced senses 'coz all mine have guns (and my scatter dice hates me :mad:)" so on and so forth.....

Do not take "just in case" equipment. And either make them shooty or assault nids. Dont mix it, that way theyre good at nothing, at least not for the points you spend.

Scythes, Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace. Enhanced senses if you must. That's all they need. Warriors already are too expensive, don't make it worse when you can avoid it.

Killboss
18-04-2009, 04:28
Really? Mine do fine, they usually inevitably get killed though (because the person i most oftenly game with plays nids as well. So he knows what to shoot.)

But when they get off one ok-good turn (ie. decent amount of hits from shooting and get into combat) they get their points back. And getting points back is what i want out of them, my Hive tyrant keeps my synapse alive and takes most of the heavy infantry killing fire all to himself (maybe i should have got some tyrant guard instead of those saurus......) But all in all, it works for me.

But i will play test with the lack of flesh hooks (though the very last charge (and only one of the game) in their last battle, which was apoc. was against a Khorne lord in cover. They THRASHED him.) But my main problem with making all gun or all combat is that i dont want to give them two guns or one wtin linked one ( i just dont think it looks natural on the warrior body IMO) and having either of those (to me) seems like a lost opertunity for some better coverage in assault (because, seriousy, your 'nids, its going to happen.) And i have seen inproperly equipt ones be held down (very, very) easily by dire avengers (3.) Granted they were my Dire avengers, exarch with defend (squad attacking them loses one attack.) But if the warriors had scything talons, then those extra attacks would have made a mockery of the dire avenges.