PDA

View Full Version : CSM Army: What to buy?

Rosstifer
16-04-2009, 09:29
I am having an issue with expanding my chaos army to 1000 points as theres so much choice! Thus far the army stands at
1x Terminator Lord
7x Plague Marines
12x Khorne Bezerkers
1x Rhino
This is about 750 points with upgrades so I need to purchase somewhere between 250-300 points of new units.
Preferably I would like a mix between battlefeild effectivness and models that look awesome and are fun to paint. Cheers!

the1stpip
16-04-2009, 09:47
Defiler is always useful for land range firepower.

Otherwise, for effctiveness, Oblits are the way to go.

Nicho
16-04-2009, 09:53
i agree, obliterators are brilliant, <3 plasma cannon death, I also really like a Winged daemon prince in my army too, great for harrassing people plus its good at drawing fire from the rest of my army as people are usually like eeek big thing kill.

A Heavy weapons squad can be good too, i have one with 4 HB's in it incase i'm playin armys like orks or nids :) Hell they even do alright againt marines sometimes :)

weirdo2590
16-04-2009, 09:55
A daemon prince? Nurgle warptime wings, (though not the model unless ou actualy like it) is the way forward.

and dont underestimate heavy bolters, I lost my entire death company to four of those last game :'(

Rosstifer
16-04-2009, 10:11
So Its a tossup between a Deamon Prince, Oblitrators, Defiler and Havocs? If I get the Deamon Prince should I cycle out the Terminator Lord and replace him with something?

Brucopeloso
16-04-2009, 10:29
I would add a squad of normal chaos marines with a couple of meltaguns in a rhino.
This unit is extremely flexible as it can handle tank hunting (especially if you give the aspiring champ a powerfist), objective grabbing and holding and close combat. It is also a decent horde shooting unit and can put wounds on MCs.

On top of that I would aslo add a couple of obliterators

AlmightyNocturnus
16-04-2009, 10:37
I don`t know what your budget or level of experience is Rosstifer, but I`ll offer these tips:

It might be difficult to use your Chaos Lord in Terminator armor since he can`t ride in a Rhino and you have no terminators (a unit of termies) to put him with. If you plan on expanding your list further (1500, 2000, Apocalypse level), a unit of Terminators would go nicely with your lord - I recommend mark of Tzeentch and lightning claws. But if your goal is 1000 points, the terminators will suck up too many points and will be difficult to use effectively. Indeed, a winged Daemon Prince is better in every way...but there are no Daemon Prince models with wings now, so it may difficult for you to convert one. Supposedly there is a plastic Daemon Prince kit (with wings) coming out one of these days - you could wait for that.

Obliterators are very versatile which makes them kind of mighty. But if you are a beginner, I think Havocs will be easier to use effectively. I`ve seen many people mis-use Obliterators - usually by deepstriking them in the wrong place or when deepstriking them when it wasn`t necessary.

The Defiler is a hellish model to paint, but all around good. It`s very versatile as well. A pair of Defilers is even better if you move up to 1500 points.

With only one Rhino, your army looks a little slow to me, even at only 1000 points. So, my recommendation is Chaos Bikes. Some people feel their cost is a bit exorbitant, but they rarely let me down. They can be equipped to snipe vehicles (2 meltaguns) and the fastest unit available to Chaos Marines. I like to turboboost to the other side of the board as much out of LOS as possible, endure a listtle scattered fire, then assault on turn two! With toughness 5, they are wonderful at tying up units - especially annoyingly shooty units and Strength 3 units (like IG, Eldar, Tau, etc.).

If you are planning to move up to 1500 points, you definitely need to think about a 3rd Troops choice.

I`ve been playing Chaos Marines for about 10 years and have 7000 painted points of `em, by the way...and that`s my two yen on the subject.

Almighty Nocturnus

Rosstifer
16-04-2009, 10:57
I think I'll go with the defiler and I'm a pretty competant painter, so it shouldn't be to hard, and possibly Havocs. A Deamon Prince with wings also sounds good, so I'll swap it for the chaos lord. And I guess I'll have to give it wings, wich may be a bit tricky, does anyone have any advice on Modelling those?

eldaran
16-04-2009, 11:03
a cool way ive seen of doing wings is to buy two sets of pegasus wings, to give him four wings in a sort of twisted archangel-type thing.

It does only really work with human-looking daemon princes though, but imo is worth it.

Rosstifer
16-04-2009, 11:16
Sooo buy the necron nightbringer and work off that? hes the only miniture of that size I've seen that looks vaguely human ( with the exception of the deciever) and can I buy pegasus wings direct off GW?

Nicho
16-04-2009, 11:22
Dragon wings on the csm daemon prince work really well, just put them on instead of the backpack vent things, a little greenstuff and bish bash bosh your done :) Think theres a pic of mine in my chaos thread in my sig if you wanna check how it looks ;)

eldaran
16-04-2009, 11:32
Sooo buy the necron nightbringer and work off that? hes the only miniture of that size I've seen that looks vaguely human ( with the exception of the deciever) and can I buy pegasus wings direct off GW?

Yeah, you can buy the wings off GW.

AFAIK, the guy who did the daemon princes got hold of two inquisitor-scale marines and used them as the template, although i do agree with Nicho, it's much less bother to just get the current one and stick dragon wings on, which is how most people do theirs.

aberrant_unc
16-04-2009, 12:52
Get at least one obliterator to see if you like them. They can be fielded in a squad of one, and are actually not bad that way to snipe tanks or drop plasma templates on marines or whatever. If it turns out you don't like how he plays, it was only one model.