PDA

View Full Version : new guard, new levels of flexibility?!

RTB01
16-04-2009, 10:26
Morning all,
having leafed through the new book the imperial guard now seem to have a level of flexibility that rivals the old chaos codex (Previous incarnation) this variety and flexibilty I personally see as a positive (despite not being a guard player). However, to have taken this route with guard yet the current chaos codex not having that level of flexibility seems quite hypocritical? - am I barking up the wrong tree or have a vaild point?

I'm not trying to be negative here by the way, I think the new guard book looks great and along with eldar and orks are fantastic books, just wondering what people think?

EVIL INC
16-04-2009, 14:54
Ahh with it rivaling the previous incarnation of the chaos codex, I take it you mean it has less variety then the current one.
Even so, I look forward to getting my grubby lil mitts on it when I pick it up. I have had the opportunity to glance though it but for "reading", I prefer to read my own at leasure rather then sitting in the local shop with others looking over my shoulder.

Finn
16-04-2009, 23:12
Guard have become both more and less flexible.

Less: loss of deep strike everywhere -> general loss of mobility and objective grabbing capability
More: tank squadrons, orders, new vehicle options, combined platoons

The first is mitigated somewhat by the addition of more scoring troops (veterans moving to troops, costing fewer points, etc.), but it doesn't change the fact that unless you take Valkyries you're going to have to ground pound it (either on foot or in a Chimera) to objectives.