PDA

View Full Version : Decline in GW plastic quality

Neat
16-04-2009, 19:20
I have noticed over the last few years that the plastic quality in GW kits has been going steadily downhill. Now by this I don't mean the kits themselves, the extra detail and better layout's are amazing, I mean the quality of the plastic itself and the moulding.

Since the change to the darker plastic, I have noticed that the mould lines of the plastic kits are a lot worse, some of the kits I have bought recently have had massive amounts of excess material, sometimes 1cm+ of extra plastic stretching out from the mould lines, akin to what you often get wit ha FW product.

The other thing is knit lines, the first time I remember seeing them on a GW model was when the Baneblade came out, fair enough, it's a big and complex model and probably pretty difficult to cast. But I have started seeing them on other kits too, such as a chimera, scout biker and even on couple of Marines sprue's. The problem with knit lines is you can't get rid of them very easily, they will show though when you pain the model.

Back in the old days when we to get the mould's wearing out, we got loss of detail and offset parts where the two parts of the mould didn't line up, I'm glad this is sorted, but the problems I'm seeing now are just as bad if not worse.

I'm not sure if this is a result of bad quality control when casting, or the new plastic is harder to cast correctly, but It definitely seems to be getting worse.

Anyone else noticed this? This does seem like a bit of a rant, but they are expensive kits so I expect good quality from them.

Korras
16-04-2009, 19:26
I did notice it, and I'm not too worried about it. mold lines I always removed anyway, and the knit lines I usually get rid of through weathering.

RevEv
16-04-2009, 19:26
Not noticed this. In fact I would say that the quality is getting better.

parus_ater
16-04-2009, 19:55
Remember how bad the old pale plastic marines were? Years ago that was,

I think the quality is pretty good overall, a few lines here and there and maybe a wee bit of flashh on the plastic but you'l find that on any model kit.

Max Jet
16-04-2009, 20:01
No but existing plastic kits get worse year by year. I have seen a new package of fire warriors and DAMN! Those pulse rifles look as if somebody would have cut it in half and then glued it together 3 mms misplaced. While this has always been a problem with the fire warriors the newer repackaged kits can cause headaches. However newer plastic kits (i.e. new sculpts) have better quality

sigur
16-04-2009, 20:11
Hmm, don't we get this thread each year? And after some pages we get to the conclusion that the plastic quality varies from batch to batch? And that people who constantly moan about mold lines should invest the time and energy in removing said mold lines rather than just complaining about them? ;)

Neat
16-04-2009, 20:21
Hmm, don't we get this thread each year? And after some pages we get to the conclusion that the plastic quality varies from batch to batch? And that people who constantly moan about mold lines should invest the time and energy in removing said mold lines rather than just complaining about them? ;)

I'm fine with mold lines, they are a unavoidable part of the molding technology, i mean the excessive ones where you have masses of flash, like the mold wasn't sealed properly or something.

What's really bugging me is the knit lines, these are getting worse, and the last 5 plastic boxed sets I've bought all have pretty bad ones.

Whitehorn
16-04-2009, 20:24
More mold lines (more pieces/modular) but far more quality.

I am happy with that comprimise.

RedSarge
16-04-2009, 21:13
Yeah, I also noticed "flaking" on some of my Space Marine miniatures.
What I mean by this is, the model actually has plastic flaking off of it as you clear away mold lines.

It's a very bad thing, as one cannot easily fix the flaking plastic.
Only by leaving it alone or by using greenstuff can you avoid further damage.

Nephilim of Sin
16-04-2009, 22:38

Actually we just had one that is on page two, I think.

It just varies batch to batch, but as someone else stated on the other thread, it may have something to do with how old the mold is. For example, I just started putting together the rest of my Orc army, which I started collecting when the plastics first came out, and eventually bought two of the new battleforces and an army box recently.

Old plastic had some minimal mold lines, but because they were softer, I lost some detail removing the lines on things like fingers and such. 'Grey' plastic wasn't that bad, but the new plastic did take me longer, yet I did not lose detail. Of course, out of the three big boxes I had recently purchased (same time, same place), one had one sprue that had not been filled completely, while all the rest of the sprues I had from the entire purchase were fine. So, again, it really depends on the batch.

Lord Omnissah
17-04-2009, 01:38
I've noticed that, in general, the paler plastic seems harder and more brittle, which, while overall having less major mold lines, had less detail (Probably wouldn't hold up) The newer, darker plastic seems softer, and more malleable, making it easier to do finer detail in the model, but compromising for more flash/mold lines (Makes sense in my chemistry-uneducated mind)

Chaos and Evil
17-04-2009, 01:54
I havn't noticed any great decline in the quality of the plastic sprues.

OrlyggJafnakol
17-04-2009, 10:34
With each new kit I work with I am more and more impressed with what GW is putting out. The range of options, the detail, the little extras. I am old enough to remember the early kits (plastic space marines RT001, Skeleton Horde and Fantasy Regiments- which were creamy white in colour) and the stuff from the 90s and they are not a patch on what you can buy today. I am just putting the finishing touches to the Stompa (the largest kit GW has made to date I believe) and have had very few problems at all. In fact,
I have been frequently amazed by how well the componants go together and how few mould lines there actually were.

dancingmonkey
17-04-2009, 10:44
The newer kits are top notch in terms of detail, seem slightly better to fit (less iffy joins) but I find the clean up a little harder.

I find the harder plastic seems to flake and go a bit fluffy not filing as flat as I would like. Still, I have been mostly working in metal recently (only assembling a box of C.Ones) so don't have the widest point of reference.

Earthbeard
17-04-2009, 12:44
i havn't noticed any great decline in the quality of the plastic sprues.

qfe..........

yabbadabba
17-04-2009, 17:36
Do we need this thread? Can't it be merged with the other one?

Amr40
17-04-2009, 19:38
at least its not as brittle as before, just finished building a hammerhead and i couldnt snap the sprues in half when finished, they bent but when building DEldar warrioirs later a tiny amount of pressure made the sprues snap like twigs :S

thinkerman
17-04-2009, 21:02
Just wish they had less mould lines in general on the plastic kits and not in stupid places - i really hate metal mould lines that run through sculped shoulder pads also

Neat
17-04-2009, 22:01
Hmm.. no one else seems to have commented on knit lines, guess they don't bother people or I'm the only one who is buying kits that looks like they have been on teh reciving end of some scything talons"

Desert Rain
17-04-2009, 22:01
The mould lines are more clearly visible on the newer dark plastic, but as the detail of the newer models are amazing (compare to what thing looked like only a few years ago) and they seem to fit togeather better than the older ones. The newer plastic is harder and more durable too, and that is good in my opinion.

sulla
17-04-2009, 23:08
I have bought 2 boxes of the new cold one knights, 2 boxes of corsairs, a plastic giant and built the new marauders and steggy for friends. No complaints with any of them.