PDA

View Full Version : what army to choose?

Yakovs
16-04-2009, 19:32
hey guys, i haven't had much experience with 40k and would like to start an army of around 1,500pts. i've decided to choose between chaos slaanesh or an eldar army with lots of rangers/darkreapers. so if someone could give me pros/cons on these two armies, what they would consist of and how they would work, i'd appretiate it a lot :)

Dr.Clock
16-04-2009, 22:36
Using Reapers below 1500 points is going to leave you strapped for points. Rangers are also quite expensive...

That said, I love Reapers... I used to run two squads very frequently at about 2500 points.

At 1500, though, I think it would be wise to stick to the rangers - get a couple units and get used to using them as part of a balanced 1500 point list. When you choose to expand, the Reapers will come in useful.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

A1TEC
16-04-2009, 23:02
I would go with an Alaitoc eldar craftworld force. Their army consists of pathfinders, but not as many aspect warriors. If you were to get this force then I would spend at least 400pts on rangers. Get some Dire Avengers and some assault troops like harlequins or striking scorpions with a wave serpent (don't worry about Guardians). Finish it off with a Falcon and some form of bikes, as well as an Autarch.

Static Entropy
16-04-2009, 23:27
I would go with an Alaitoc eldar craftworld force. Their army consists of pathfinders, but not as many aspect warriors. If you were to get this force then I would spend at least 400pts on rangers. Get some Dire Avengers and some assault troops like harlequins or striking scorpions with a wave serpent (don't worry about Guardians). Finish it off with a Falcon and some form of bikes, as well as an Autarch.

I love my CSM, but I kind of wish I had gotten a Xeno race. You'll probably be facing a lot of Marine players, and having something different can lead to a more interesting game where both players are employing widely different strategies. Also beware that with all their spikes and trim, CSM can take a long time to paint--I'm not particularly good, but it still takes me around 4-5 hours to paint up a vanilla guy. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that it's not nearly as bad for Eldar as a whole.