PDA

View Full Version : Is Mines of Moria obselete?

Snipingranger
17-04-2009, 01:11
Would anyone suggest buying the Mines of Moria starter set, despite that WOTR is becoming vastly more popular?

Also, is it an appropriate starter set? I really like the plastic fellowship in the set, but I dunno if it would actually help me in WOTR

Are there people in the same situation as me?

someone2040
17-04-2009, 01:25
Hmm... I have the boxed set (Got it a few months back).
I would say, it depends on what you're going to play.
If you're only going to play War of the Ring - probably don't bother. Goblins you can get in a boxed set, and it's only worthwhile if you actually intend to use the Fellowship in the game (Or at the very least, compare what it will cost you getting the set and getting the metal models of the characters you need from it).

Obviously, pretty useful if you're going to play regular Lord of the Rings.

Personally I grabbed it a few months ago, cause I could get it cheap as I wanted to look at the LotR rules. Then War seems to be becoming a big hit, but I'm still slugging my way through painting the fellowship.

Master Stark
17-04-2009, 01:34
WOTR is becoming vastly more popular?

Wait, what?

Says who?

Maybe wait for the honeymoon period to end before we decide which is more popular.

StanMcKim
17-04-2009, 03:25
I highly encourage people to play both, as having a WotR army means you almost definetly have a LotR army. Moria is good for players new to both games as you can learn and play LotR while you build up your WotR force.
As for the forces that come in it, I've seen the Fellowship in action. It destroyed a 6 company strong formation of orcs without even trying. It is a beast on the table and an excellent chance to do a really cool scenic base. As for the Moria stuff, it is a good start to a Moria force. Snag another couple boxes of goblins, a couple characters and a balrog and you're good to go.
-Stan

Spider-pope
17-04-2009, 11:10
For 40 quid its a cheap way to get a Fellowship of the ring (metal version is 30 by itself) plus the start of an Evil army (which incidently would cost you 25). So 40 nets you 500 points of Good and 120 points of evil. Not too shabby.

As for being obsolete,not yet.
Even if Games Workshop came out tomorrow and said that they arent supporting the SBG anymore, there are still people playing the game, the models wont dissolve with a proclamation. If there are still people playing Gorkamorka 11 years after it went off sale, i dont think you need to worry about the SBG just yet.

jaws900
17-04-2009, 11:35
I don't think SBG will die. It's like 40jk and that other thing Aragedon or something (The name has just gone from my head as soon as i started typeing this). Both use the same modals it's just that one is a larger scale and LOTR is the same.

Spider-pope
17-04-2009, 11:40
Not quite, a better comparison would be Necromunda and 40k. Beyond using large forces, Apocalypse has nothing in common with War of the Ring.
SBG is excellent for small scale skirmishes, like Necromunda, but for anything larger, WOTR is far better, like 40k.
Both SBG and WOTR are worth getting into, two of the best rules systems GW has ever made.

jaws900
18-04-2009, 04:53
Agreed. I could never grt my heads around 40k and new only the basics for fantasy but LOTR i picked up quick. Part o this was due to the magazine they made which went on for 91 issues (still have all of them)

HsojVvad
18-04-2009, 23:33
Well a cave troll is what? $25, $30 bucks? Get a bunch of Goblins, not shure how much that is, plus the Fellowship is about $55 or so. So I say MoM is a good set if you want the Fellowship, goblins and a Cave Troll. Plus you get some scenery and the rules for SBG just in case you ever want to play a game with that.

jaws900
19-04-2009, 12:05
The only down side to it is some of the stuff you get with it but thats also it's up side. With the plastic cave troll that makes a total of 3 diffrent modals form cave trolls (More than you will often use) and the plasic fellowship can come in handy. However the poket book is missing a few things like the pain one. It hasn't got Warg chieftains etc.

HsojVvad
19-04-2009, 19:16
The pocket book has every unit mentioned that was in the movies. If it wasn't in the movie it's not in the pocket book. But that is a moot point if you only getting it for WotR.