PDA

View Full Version : Helping a buddy choose a (second) army

Stuffburger
17-04-2009, 03:40
My friend has a small, unfinished force of dwarves and he just isn't really into them- the lack of movement and magic mean the game happens on his opponent's (usually my) terms. Despite usually winning (I currently play O&G) he wants a new army.

Considerations:

-Average or better magic
-Average or better movement
-Not Empire, VC (doesn't like winning combat by fear), HE (friends army) or O&G (My army)

From that very short list of possibilities I came up with Warriors, LM, and DE as prospective choices. My other army is LM, but I let him use it against me all the time- maybe he could add to it? Anyone try this before, and how did it work?

Any prospective armies I missed?

MTUCache
17-04-2009, 04:27
Obvious one for me would be Ogre Kingdoms...

They get written off by most because they're not a strong tournament army (at the moment anyway), but for 90% of us that is never really a factor.

They're definitely fun, have all sorts of special fluff and rules that go along with them to make them very unique, and they honestly have some pretty decent models to boot. You don't see them around all the time (at least near me), so they bring a cool flavor to the group as well.

They've got average magic... let's face it, Gutmagic rocks.
They've got above-average movement...

Sounds like a pretty decent fit to me, as long as he's into the models and the fluff.

Lord Asuryan
17-04-2009, 05:01
dark elves. they're faster than usual, their magic can be really sick, and there's loads of load out for them (cav, monster, witch elf, corsair, standard, sorceress convent, etc.) also, the some of the models are really great.

bigunns
17-04-2009, 05:21
skaven .......lol they move quick and have sick magic....

um plague ne 1????
kinda like foot of gork

RainbowConnickJr
17-04-2009, 07:14
Wood elves are a definite place to look as far as mobility goes, and on a side note I personally believe they have some of the nicest looking models produced so far. Lizardmen are another potential choice, as well as Dark Elves and possibly Ogre Kingdoms. You could pretty easily do a highly mobile magic strong army of Butchers and MSU Ironguts that would be fun and probably pretty darn effective to boot.

Sandstone
17-04-2009, 08:04
Tomb Kings chariot/magic army?

The Red Scourge
17-04-2009, 08:33
Any elf army.

genestealer_baldric
17-04-2009, 09:03
join the ranks of lizzards marching forth, great models, great magic, great movement but can in comabt still go toe to claw with most other troops in the game.

sigur
17-04-2009, 10:02
I suggest Dark Elves. Much fun movement, some quirky special rules, very cool models, less heavily armoured, less toughness than dwarves, many variants of armies that can be played, much to do generally. Nice stuff.

@bigunns: Please use proper english. "um plague ne 1???? " doesn't make any sense.

Shamfrit
17-04-2009, 10:46
Third vote for Dark Elves, but also a vote for Lizardmen.

Both offer movement, variety, average (or good or excellent if need be) magic.

Dungeon_Lawyer
17-04-2009, 14:59
my 1st thought before even reading the posts was DE's , im sticking to it, they have everything the dwarfs lack--plus good fluff since they reside in the neighborhood of your lizzies and O&G can be found almost anywhere.

bob_the_small
17-04-2009, 15:14
dark elves, shooting, movement, flexibiltity, good magic,

How did anyone come up with Ogre Kingdoms???

MTUCache
17-04-2009, 21:10
dark elves, shooting, movement, flexibiltity, good magic,

How did anyone come up with Ogre Kingdoms???
All he said was "movement", "magic", and "not Empire/VC/HE/O&G"...

Unless he was specifically saying he wants the hardest magic, or the fastest troops, I fail to see how the OK qualify. I'm sticking to my guns on this one... their magic is unique (and fun), they move well (especially in small units), they're an army you don't see every freaking day (like DE or LZ), and they're an easy army to build.

Unless he doesn't like the models/fluff, or he's a power-game who's more interested in tourney-success than fun, I really don't see how OK is a bad choice at all.

I don't have anything against DE, far from it in fact, they were my first army... I just like to help steer people away from the pack when they're not sure where they want to be. If this guy's friend is a DE-fan, more power to him, but for every 20 DE/LZ suggestions he gets there should be at least one other idea, shouldn't there?

That's the thing that gets me about these forums... eventually everything boils down to a tedious, homogeneous, boring, blandness.

WarlockOMork
17-04-2009, 21:16
I'd go with skaven. amazing shooting, lots of army choices (so quite flexible), and personaly i like their magic its quite nice, and a high Movement value.

Dark14
17-04-2009, 21:21
Skaven DE bretonnia or Wood elves.

O&G'sRule
17-04-2009, 21:26
Wait for the skaven armybook, there'll be some nice new models I'd expect, but skaven would be my choice