PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start Tomb Kings - Where do I begin?

Sandstone
17-04-2009, 04:36
My goal is to create a fairly competitive (but not WAAC) 2250 tournament army that focuses primarily on magic and chariots (and Tomb Scorpions, because they're badass :p). What boxes should I buy? Is the Battalion box even worth it? How many Tomb Scorpions is too many? Which characters should I get?

In other words, I need some serious help.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Lords and Heroes

Tomb King (Chariots core)
- On Chariot
Lich Priest (Casket of Souls)
Lich Priest
Lich Priest

Core
4 Chariots x3 (Four units of three)

Special
Tomb Scorpion (for flanks and all around scariness)
Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion
Carrion x3 (for warmachines)

Rare
Skelepult (should I run 1 or 2?)

Does that general layout look viable?

Lord Asuryan
17-04-2009, 04:58
looks OK, but why the carrion? you really don't need them, with THREE tomb corpions, which tcan do the same job and won't get shot up on the way in. 2 screaming skull puts is generally the way to go, but I like the bone giant too, it can attract some serious fire (which is good, more fire at it means less at chariots and vice versa) personally, I like skeleton archers as a firebase, don't they have some sort of rule that allows them to hit on 5's automatically? (sorry, it's been a while.) overall, looks like a pretty standard TK chariot list.

Frep
17-04-2009, 05:03
I would reccomend a unit or two of skellie archers, you're going to need to whittle the enemy down somewhat or your chariots are just going to bounce off. The single catapult and casket aren't going to wear your opponents down enough for you to smash them with the chariots on the charge.

cm2008
17-04-2009, 05:10
carrion can get you the first turn charge on anything, also scorps don't pop up till turn 2 so no march blocking till then with carrion march block first turn.

havoc626
17-04-2009, 05:44
Also, just a point with the skeleton archers, it also gives you a small bunker for those LP of yours.

If you do take a LP on casket, I suggest not making it the heirophant, as a well placed cannonball can take him off 1st turn.

PopeAlexanderVI
17-04-2009, 06:59
Carrion are great, ignore anyone who says differently. Skeletons archers are good, but primarily as a bunker for priests and to defend your Catapult/Casket against fast cav and fliers. Don't rely on them to do damage to enemy units, S3 shooting is really marginalized in the game right now.

I'd strongly recommend 2 Catapults or a Catapult and Bone Giant over the Casket. So many armies have access to 60pt flying units that it's foolish to put 300+ points and an invaluable character so directly in harm's way.

Charistoph
17-04-2009, 16:09
carrion can get you the first turn charge on anything, also scorps don't pop up till turn 2 so no march blocking till then with carrion march block first turn.

Not entirely, you don't have to use ICFB on Scorpions, it's just an option, though a fun, and intimidating, one for your opponent.

Malorian
17-04-2009, 16:14
With three scorpians you could get away without carrion, but I still think you should take them.

That first turn charge is ust too nice and it frees up the scorpians to go after other juicy targets.

Keller
17-04-2009, 16:16
I would also suggest some skeleton archers to protect your priests. They really can help shave ranks for CR redection for your chariots, too. 2 units of 10 archers for ~160 points would be a big boost.

You could also consider Tomb Swarms for tying up units so you can charge them. Our local TK player has had pretty good success using the Swarms w/ ICFB, or just deployed normally to take charges.

As for the Carrion; I really think you need them. If nothing else, they can be sent to block LoS to your chariots from warmachines. S7 machines will wreck your chariot army very quickly, so send some sacrificial carrion to intervene (or charge if you can)

Sandstone
17-04-2009, 17:47
Ok, so now I'm thinking:

Lords and Heroes

Tomb King (Chariots core)
- On Chariot
Lich Priest (Casket of Souls)
Lich Priest
Lich Priest

Core
3 Chariots x3 (Three units of three)
2 Skeleton Archers x10 (Two units of ten)

Special
Tomb Scorpion (for flanks and all around scariness)
Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion
Carrion x3 (for warmachines)

Rare
Skelepult
Skelepult

Malorian
17-04-2009, 17:49
For a general setup I'm sure it will do fine.

Now to figure out magic items and get the points right ;)

cm2008
17-04-2009, 19:03
Not entirely, you don't have to use ICFB on Scorpions, it's just an option, though a fun, and intimidating, one for your opponent.

Obviously, don't burry them if you don't have to.

TheKingInYellow
17-04-2009, 19:12
That list is illegal. The Casket takes up a Rare choice, so you can't have 2 Catapults.