PDA

View Full Version : The Chimera, Mobile Battle Bunker?

Cadian 122nd
17-04-2009, 05:35
The chimera's top hatch counts as a fire point that 5 models may fire from
Take a Chimera for your platoon command Squad
Buy a lascannon heavy weapon team for said platoon
Put the lascannon heavy weapon team in the chimera
Keep front armor 12 pointed towards the enemy
Eliminate vehicles with 3 lascannons
IF it gets blown up, you only take 3 saves so they cant all die if it does get destroyed.

GW has created a monster.......

Chem-Dog
17-04-2009, 05:42
Chimera still has AV 10 on the sides and it must remain stationary for the Lascannons to get their shot, The Guardsmen are still Bs 3.

I'd Rather be giving them the "Bring it down" order which (I am led to believe) you can't do if the squad is in a vehicle.

RichBlake
17-04-2009, 05:55
Chimera still has AV 10 on the sides and it must remain stationary for the Lascannons to get their shot, The Guardsmen are still Bs 3.

I'd Rather be giving them the "Bring it down" order which (I am led to believe) you can't do if the squad is in a vehicle.

Correct on all accounts :)

tankadams
17-04-2009, 08:11
Another point is that firing out of the top hatch will make the chimera count as open topped.

B30
17-04-2009, 08:17
Not bad I guess, but by no mean a "monster". If your opponent can't deal with an armor of 12 (10 on the sides), he didn't came well prepared...

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-04-2009, 08:26
If it was front armour 13 it would be scary. 12 is low enough that there are plenty of weapons in all armies that can deal with it.

Ranger S2H
17-04-2009, 08:27
probably a good tactic for combat patrol, though I'd use misslelaunchers

Gensuke626
17-04-2009, 09:04
You take 3 saves if it blows up. If you fail 2 of those saves, since they are all equipped exactly the same, you MUST remove one of the weapon teams as they are now counted as a single 2 wound model.

On top of that, If I do something like...I dunno...Blow up the Chimera with a Melta shot or something, then deal 3 S6 AP5 wounds to the squad (Especially if it ignores cover) then that's a dead HW squad. It's not a Monster, it really isn't

I think a better use for the Chimera bunker is a Company Command with a Mortar, Vox, Grenade Launcher and a Master of Ordinance.

Mojaco
17-04-2009, 09:20
It's scoring too! :)

But honestly, it's as expensive as a predator annihilator, so it seems pretty well balanced. You can get the lascannon valkyrie for less and be a lot more accurate.

SupremeCommanderNyuSan
17-04-2009, 09:35
you want a monster? :chrome:
Stormlord with extra sponsons, inside es many heavy weapon teams as you can get. 20 of them can shot out of the vehicle. in hte ultimate case thats 24 laser-shots in a mobile super-bunker. does the job for me^^
i got it filled with missile launchers and even mortars... this tank can take on ANYTHING. and yes, it is :cheese:

sigur
17-04-2009, 09:55
you want a monster? :chrome:

No, nobody asked for anything like that.

Ethriel
17-04-2009, 11:33
Another point is that firing out of the top hatch will make the chimera count as open topped.

Actually, I'm pretty sure in the new rules, that the Chimera does not count as open-topped, when firing out. Probably because now you do not get to fire 6 lasguns and another weapon from the hatch, you just get to fire 5 weapons.

stevester79
17-04-2009, 11:58

Yeah I looked in new codex for this since I try to play a mech IG (currently 0 for 8 now) it says 5 can fire out of hatch and nothing about it being open topped in the chimera entry.

Sir_Turalyon
17-04-2009, 12:47

No word of that in Chimera rules, was surprised myself. It just has fire point for five models, measuring distances from top hatch. Unless there is some obscure rule in rulebook for top hatches, it's not open topped.

@ OP: Lascannons seem too tempting target to put in still fragile chimera's and they immobilize chimera in order to fire - unless you put it in cover, give it extra cammo neting, forget it can move and pray a lot. I'm going to put in lots of long range assult weapons, like BS4 command squad with four grenade launchers or (especially!) psyker battle squad, and drive away from danger while shoting at things 24" away. Bonus points if I have orders-issuing officer protected in MCV.

The_Outsider
17-04-2009, 13:27
3 BS3 lascannons won't be wiping enemy armour off the board anytime soon unless you happen to be facing orks or DE.

Zedsdead
17-04-2009, 13:41
i prefer putting vets in a chimera with a lascannon or AC and 3 specials meltas or plasmas. BS4 shooting goodness and once the enemy starts closing in you can ignore your heavy weapon and move out shooting those 3 BS4 specials

Cane
17-04-2009, 15:03
Can you throw a demolition charge outside of a Chimera?

Now THAT could get nasty.

MrMojoZ
17-04-2009, 15:06

Now thats a drive by. :evilgrin:

freddieyu
17-04-2009, 15:07

Now THAT is an idea!!!! But only if the chimera moved 6" or less, as transported infantry cannot fire is the transport moved at cruising speed (yes this applies even to fast transports, so ork trukks moving over 6" (or 7" with red paint job) can fire their weapons, but the boyz it was transporting CANNOT)...

wilsonian
17-04-2009, 15:13
Don't want to complain too much but I think the chimera should be AV12 on the sides too as too many times I get popped from sniping side armour shots.

freddieyu
17-04-2009, 15:26
Don't want to complain too much but I think the chimera should be AV12 on the sides too as too many times I get popped from sniping side armour shots.

Maybe that is why they reduced the points cost of the chimera by a LOT..(compared to the rhino)...

Cypher
17-04-2009, 15:42
The other thing to remember is if the Chimera takes a shaken or stunned result, the guys inside cant fire.

Bloodknight
17-04-2009, 15:42
(compared to the rhino)...

The price reduction is pretty equal to that of the Rhino. The Rhino went down 30%, the Chimera 35%.

freddieyu
17-04-2009, 15:44
% wise yes, but actual points wise = a lot, since the equivalent gain is more with the IG than with marines...

Usopreme
17-04-2009, 15:45
just to clear something up from one of the earlier posts, commands can be given out of a chimera, the rule is called something like mobile command post which is what I thought this thread was going to be about ironically.

freddieyu
17-04-2009, 15:50
case in point..for the points difference between a rhino with SL now and before = 1 marine....so if you have 3 rhinos, you get 3 marines

for the pointage you gain for 3 chimeras with the multilaser and smoke launchers (without EA), you get enough for 2 IG squads (without weapons)..which is a BIG difference...

don_mondo
17-04-2009, 15:52
case in point..for the points difference between a rhino with SL now and before = 1 marine....so if you have 3 rhinos, you get 3 marines

for the pointage you gain for 3 chimeras with the multilaser and smoke launchers (without EA), you get enough for 2 IG squads (without weapons)..which is a BIG difference...

Three squads actually, since a single IG Infantry squad costs less than a stock Chimera......................

Cadian 122nd
17-04-2009, 17:23
The issue at hand is the guard has no accurate anti tank capibilities. Thank the emperor we got the vanquisher back though. I have traditionaly relied on lascannon teams for my tank hunting duties pre-5th ed codex. Ordinance is horrible against Dreadnoughts and the like, with scattering ruining most shots. And strength 8, even with 2d6 and pick the highest is tough to crack land raiders and the like.

The Lascannon teams inside the Chimera are invincible to light weapons fire, noramly id put them in cover and shoot vehicles. The enemy would use his anti tank capibilites against my russes, and long range anti infantry power against my weapons teams. Now, inside some armor 12 buggy, the enemy has to make a choice. With only so much anti-armor capibility, do you shoot the russ, or the Lascannon buggy. The reason we as guard have never had a standard Leman Russ anihilatior (lascannons) is that we would have a tank that exclusivly kills other tanks. Its like putting a timer on the board....either all enemey infantry will be dead because of standard russ battle cannons, or all the vehicles will be dead thanks to the 14 armor 13 side lascannon monstrosity. most non guard armies are in short supply when it comes to anti armor capibility and this will be even more the case with armor squadrons now. The lascannon bugy is just insulation against small arms fire for 3 lascannons, and frees up the peice of conver they would normaly be using.

After writing this i am now seriously considering getting a vanquisher soon.......

The_Outsider
17-04-2009, 18:29
You know the real secret to why (among the tracked transports) the rhino is the best of the lot? It cannot be flanked.

AV12 on a chimera is nice, but the second you have to position a vehicle with such a large footprint you will be exposing that nice and juicy AV10 side armour - a problem the rhino does not have given both it's front and side armour are the same. AV11/11/10 is far superior to AV12/10/10 on a transport.

The only AV10 transports all round happen to belong to the two forces that pack some of the best assault troops in the game and a monumental amounts of mobile firepower (though one is far better than the other).

MrBims
17-04-2009, 19:53
The issue at hand is the guard has no accurate anti tank capibilities. Thank the emperor we got the vanquisher back though. I have traditionaly relied on lascannon teams for my tank hunting duties pre-5th ed codex. Ordinance is horrible against Dreadnoughts and the like, with scattering ruining most shots. And strength 8, even with 2d6 and pick the highest is tough to crack land raiders and the like.

After writing this i am now seriously considering getting a vanquisher soon.......

For complaining about Guard not having accurate anti-tank capabilities, I find it considerably ironic you would consider the Vanquisher to be a solution to this. Especially considering that there's a far superior new option that has quite possibly the single best anti-Landraider gun in the entire game (without counting Strength D, obviously). Look in the artillery squadrons section, it's fairly easy to find.

totgeboren
17-04-2009, 20:22
And how long do you thing that Medusa will survive vs a Land Raider really? 2 twin-linked lascannons = Dead Medusa.

But its true is is a better anti-tank vehicle than the Vanq. The Vanq on the other hand can take afew lascannon hits and still wreak enemy armour.

If it could hit anything that is. :P

decker_cky
17-04-2009, 20:27
Chimeras are nice now, since they work well in the context of the guard. You don't want to jump up and get in your opponents face until you've had the chance to thin their ranks with your shooting. Chimeras have good front armour for a transport, and good shooting. Units can also shoot out of them better than most transports. So I think the OP has the right idea. It's not gamebreaking, but it is a solid plan.

11/11/10 is not superior to 12/10/10 if the transport is meant to sit back for several turns. Rhinos are better for marines, but for guard, they aren't really what you need.

MrBims
17-04-2009, 20:52
And how long do you thing that Medusa will survive vs a Land Raider really? 2 twin-linked lascannons = Dead Medusa.

But its true is is a better anti-tank vehicle than the Vanq. The Vanq on the other hand can take afew lascannon hits and still wreak enemy armour.

If it could hit anything that is. :P

With 48" range, the Medusa is well capable of sitting behind cover while putting down tanks, increasing its survivability.

And while the Vanquisher certainly can survive lascannon hits better, consider how much damage each vehicle is capable of doing during the match. A Vanquisher has BS3, so the statistical average of hits per 6-turn match is only 3, and then it has to penetrate with 8+2d6, which certainly isn't a guarantee against landraiders, then it has to roll a 5 or a 6 on the damage chart to kill. The Medusa, being a blast weapon, has a similar chance of hitting each turn, but is still fully capable of destroying a vehicle even if its not at full strength (5+2d6 can hurt), and if it scatters completely off, it can still hit other targets. Then, you have a practically guaranteed penetration against anything besides Monoliths and Wave Serpents, and need to roll a 4, 5 or 6 to kill on the chart. The Vanquisher will be lucky to kill even [i]one[i] enemy tank per game, while the Medusa is capable of killing two or three.