PDA

View Full Version : GW trading on target

Osbad
17-04-2009, 08:03
On the GW trading front, they have issued this announcement:

RNS Number : 5853Q Games Workshop Group PLC 17 April 2009

Games Workshop Group PLC today issues the following interim management statement for the period 1 December 2008 to 5 April 2009.

In the four months to 5 April 2009 trading has been broadly in line with the board's expectations.

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:GAW.L&display=news&action=article&articleid=7274281&from=rss

darkace77450
17-04-2009, 09:09
On the GW trading front, they have issued this announcement:

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:GAW.L&display=news&action=article&articleid=7274281&from=rss

Berny Maedoff, Ken Lay, and many a corporate thief told a lot of people the same sort of thing. ;)

OrlyggJafnakol
17-04-2009, 10:37
I wonder what the board's expectations actually are!

Vic
17-04-2009, 19:19
keep 'em low enough, and ANYTHING looks good. Obama's secret :D

JLBeady
17-04-2009, 21:29
keep 'em low enough, and ANYTHING looks good. Obama's secret :D

Bingo!

That said, I hate cryptic speak like this. It is a disservice to investors if not given in the context of the earnings guidance that was previously issued.

zedeyejoe
18-04-2009, 07:02
broadly in line with the board's expectations

So somewhere, near about, closish to what they were thinking?

Weasel words to me I am afraid. Of course what really matters is profit and the price rise in June will work the trick I am sure, or not.

freddythebig
18-04-2009, 11:43
Having heard this kind of corporate double speak many times whilst working for different companies, you can be sure that if they were achieving or exceeding sales targets then they would say so.
As they have hot clearly stated this then you can be sure they are not hitting their targets.

blongbling
18-04-2009, 14:28
actually GW has used this even when exceeding sale....its just a general "wait till we announce " statement.

Corporal Punishment
18-04-2009, 18:18
They may be making their sales numbers in local currency but the dollar exchange rate is going to hurt their sales when compared to last year. It is going to be interesting to see what happens.

zedeyejoe
18-04-2009, 19:06
They may be making their sales numbers in local currency but the dollar exchange rate is going to hurt their sales when compared to last year.

I thought the pound was down against the dollar, so same dollars buys more pounds and GW makes more money?

BTW I get paid in dollars and euros (as well as pounds) and have found a good trick is to hang onto the balances in those currencies. They get worth more and then I cash them in. So a little bit of currency speculation on the side.

Zink
18-04-2009, 19:43
I thought the pound was down against the dollar, so same dollars buys more pounds and GW makes more money?

That's why I don't understand the projected price hike for this year. International sales will be making GW better returns. I suppose some inputs might cost more if they are imported but we've already been told that raw materials is a minor cost for GW. Oil and metals markets are down too so that should offset some of those costs. Then again I gave up a long time ago trying to understand some of GW's decisions and usually stay out of the economic debates although I find them interesting.

freddythebig
18-04-2009, 20:15
actually GW has used this even when exceeding sale....its just a general "wait till we announce " statement.

I stand corrected then.

I must be mistaking them for a company thats living in the same world and operating as other companies that I am familiar with do.

Reinholt
18-04-2009, 22:43
Allow me to translate, as I've read thousands of corporate statements and handle this kind of thing for a job:

"We're neither currently bankrupt nor have infinity monies. No further news."

That's basically all the statement is saying. "Trading broadly in line" is basically weasel words for any number of possible things, including:

- We're way below target, but not so catastrophically we can't claim it was something we considered.

- We're way above target, but want to delay announcing so our insiders can buy more first. Of course, you'd never say that, but...

- We don't know where we are.

- We know where we are and it's boring.

- We just felt like putting out a press release for no reason and/or were required to say something by law, so we said that.

This is financial un-news, as it were.

selfconstrukt
20-04-2009, 18:08
RNS Number : 5853Q Games Workshop Group PLC 17 April 2009

Games Workshop Group PLC today issues the following interim management statement for the period 1 December 2008 to 5 April 2009.
In the four months to 5 April 2009 trading has been broadly in line with the board's expectations.

Another translation:

We narrowly scraped by through the skin of our teeth.

And only because we laid off and fired a lot of staff.:evilgrin:

Aurellis
20-04-2009, 18:26
It's amazing how many people are being so negative about such a broad financial statement which could mean any number of things.

@Reinholt - Spot on.

Crazy Harborc
21-04-2009, 02:15
Years of experience springs to mind.:)