PDA

View Full Version : Model abusers...

Lord Omnissah
17-04-2009, 09:29
Just as the title says, in your career as a gamer, have you ever encountered someone who abuses their models, do they treat em like crap? Tell us!

There's a friend of mine, his dad owns a ********* of GW stuff (Probably 3/4 of all the kits GW has ever made) nd the kid gets to buy them for SUPER cheap ($.50 each for plastics, $1.00-$3.00 for metals) and the thing that pisses me off is that this kid treats his models like crap! To take 'em somewhere, he just shoves 'em in a box, and should 1 or 2 or 5 break, he doesn't care! He can just buy new ones for the same price I buy Gum!

W0lf
17-04-2009, 09:40
My warriors of chaos are all dogpiled into a large mail order box and alot of the marauders are breaking. Funny as they sit next to their unoccupied case.

Such is my love for the new WoC i cba to put them away properly :O

tortoise
17-04-2009, 09:45
When I was a lot younger I used to paint models with a friend. We'd spend whole days in the school holidays painting models . As a break from painting and to lighten the boredom and frustration of painting (especially base coats) we'd sometimes take a model for which I had no love and no use and reduce it to an unrecognisable lump of lead with pliers. I've grown up a bit since then (although possibly not very much).

slayerofmen
17-04-2009, 09:46
yeah i have some mates who do that same kinda thing. but in their case it is kinda odd because they don't get them cheap, i think it might be because they are for the most part unpainted and rarely assembled

Abhorash
17-04-2009, 09:53
My 2 ready armies sit on table(vampire counts and ogres), but all the useless and unloved stuff (2 black coach, 3 khemri giant scorpion things, 3 giants and huge pile of other useless stuff, that i will most likely never use) are in big box under my desk in pieces and broken...

sigur
17-04-2009, 09:59
.... gets to buy them for SUPER cheap ($.50 each for plastics, $1.00-$3.00 for metals)...

And how exactly does that work? Or does the silly kid just claim to get the stuff for cheap?

Bingo the Fun Monkey
17-04-2009, 11:13
he prolly buys 'em off his pops. if my models aren't painted, they get shoved in a box. if they are, they get the carrying case and foam. Of course, I also get a lot of second-hand models that I intend to strip and re-assemble in the future so I don't care if they fall apart- gravity's doing my work for me.

Sirroelivan
17-04-2009, 12:14
Well, not in my current gaming group, but I used to play Lotr a few years ago, and the people I played with mostly didn't treat their models that well.

Ixquic
17-04-2009, 12:17
I am infamous in the area for taking my LotR models out to the parking lot and running them over with my car repeatedly. I did put them in a box first so as not to risk hurting the tires and 90% of the pre-squished models were given to little kids that were around at the time so most of them didn't get wasted.

To my credit that game is an abortion and the sheer terribleness of it finally got to me after I tried to give it a fair chance. I regret nothing.

theunwantedbeing
17-04-2009, 12:46
In my experience:

Unpainted army = treated poorly and harshly
Painted army = treated with the care and respect it deserves

The Red Scourge
17-04-2009, 12:51
Why bother with what other people do to their property? Some people have money to burn and others don't.

Personally I'd only care about whats put on the tabletop.

Calibretto
17-04-2009, 19:08
Theres a guy in my store, nice fellow, but the way he treats his models boggles my mind. He has nicely painted dark elves that he just throws in a box. They rub against each other, get stuck on or under other models, it like the old plastic army men you had as a kid that you threw in a bucket. Drives me crazy but theyre not mine so i dont say anything. Really makes me want to take them away from him and take care of them myself. Another guy breaks his models when they dont perform how he wants.

Now personally i dont care as long as theyre unpainted. Ill throw my assembled unpainted stuff in a box no problem. Once theres paint on it it will never touch another model unless its ranking up.

kyussinchains
17-04-2009, 20:52
one of my old friends would bring his entire eldar army to games night in a carrier bag, he'd pour them all in, hold the handles and then spin the bag into a nice tight ball :eek:

fortunately he was such an atrociously heavy handed painter that the thick layers of paint couldn't be chipped off.....

Brother Siccarius
17-04-2009, 21:25
Superglue fixes everything, and they're miniatures not Faberge Eggs. After you've done a good paint job slap on a clearcoat and don't worry about them chipping or breaking too much.

If I were hauling around something that was Golden Demon quality, I'd be extra careful, but most table armies don't get anywhere near that detailed or intricate.

Malorian
17-04-2009, 21:35
This comic fits this very well: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080326

I'm always very careful with my models and I can't stand it when people put painted metal models together so they scratch off the paint.

One of the first people I used to play with kept everything in a box and just didn't care if it broke. Once he even sat on his hammerhead that he had placed on a chair and actually laughed about it :wtf:

Zujara
18-04-2009, 00:24
I spent a weekend(not straight of course) painting my friends Slann last year, who then proceeded to stuff it carelessly into a toolbox with his other miniatures and now its covered in chips, and lumps of glue. No wonder he never paints anything himself.

havoc626
18-04-2009, 00:39
This comic fits this very well: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080326

I don't know what's sadder, the comic itself or the fact I get everything he just said. lol

I find that, like most people, I take better care of an army that I've painted than if I've only assembled them.

Arduhn
18-04-2009, 00:49
When I was younger, I was so careful with my miniatures, because I had so few, and I didn't have much money to get more, etc. Now I work at a games store and get a discount, and my poor miniatures have been suffering. It's just, when you have so many and so little room you can't keep them all out of harm's way. When I paint one nicely though I try my best to make sure it gets carefully packed in a carrying case. I just got a display case recently, so that will be where I put my best miniatures now to keep them safe when I am not using them.

Mordian Marauder
18-04-2009, 01:16
I got angry about painting the other day. I ended up hurling a few guardsmen at the wall. Juvenile I know, but sometimes frustration just takes hold so easily!

Archaon
18-04-2009, 02:00
Sometimes it irks me when i see how people treat their stuff.

I have special cases that are padded out with foam (well.. a tool suitcase with foam in it) so my painted miniatures won't get damaged by transport.

I arrive at my destination only to see people opening up shoeboxes or something like that and pulling out models by the fistfull and throw them on the table to be arranged later.

I've even seen this approach with fully painted miniatures :eyebrows::cries:

Rupposed
18-04-2009, 05:49
Nothing like carrying $500 in a shoebox. Now I have three army transports, but that still leaves one whole army out of foam.

badgeraddict
18-04-2009, 10:27
I've seen Chaos Lords thrown against walls and whole units of maraurders dumped into a big orange cracker box.

Not pretty.