PDA

View Full Version : Help Trenchie pick his next 40k army!

Trench_Raider
18-04-2009, 01:13
(note to moderator staff..I'm not sure if this thread belongs in the Painting forum or 40k general, so I'll just post it here. If you feel it belongs elsewere, feel free to move it.)

I like 5th edition 40k. I like it alot.
Now for anyone who knows me, that's probably a suprise. It's certainly not perfect and there are alot of things about it I would change. But of all the post 2nd edition incarnations of the game, it's the one I like the best. Thus I've been very active in the game for the last six months or so. The advent of our Friday night "Old Fogie 40k legue" has been even more incentive to play. I'm even dabbling in the tourny scene again...not very well mind you! But at least I'm trying! :D

The result is that my painting schedule in this time span has been almost 100% dominated by 40k projects. (I say almost...I've painted up 15mm Teutonic Order and Viking armies for Field of Glory as well) Since August or so I have finished four 2000+ point armies either by repainting them or building them from the ground up. My latest project is an Eldar army. As it stands right now, that project will be more or less finished by the close of the weekend. So that begs the question: what next?

I've got two potential projects in mind and the lead for both armies on hand.

First up is a CSM World Eater army.
I now have over 75 RT Khorne Renegades, "92 design" World Eaters, 2nd edition Khorne models, and RT terminators on hand. That's more than enough for a good sized force. This army will be very colorful (and red is my favorite color!) and very effective on the table. But on the other hand I have several MEQ armies already and two other CSM forces as it is. It might be time for change rather than just more of the same.

The other option is an Imperial Guard army.
Yes, thumbing through the preview IG codex at the LSG has me tempted. To this end I have over 120 RT era IG models and older "Imperial Army" figures on hand that I never have done anything with. I also have lots of extra figures such as more Commisars than I could ever field, ratlings, Ogryns, and a fair number of vehicle models. I enjoy playing shooting armies and have proxied my Squats as IG on occasion. But I really don't want to be seen as just another player who is jumping on the "new codex bandwagon" and to be honest the concept of painting up a large number of figures in the frankly uninspiring RT era "codex grey" uniform seems a bit like work. In addition I already have a workable IG "counts as" army in the form of my Squats.

I'm a notoriously fickle and indecisive character at times. Help me out here. What's your vote and why?

TR
Yes, I'm a very fast painter...

Wolf123
18-04-2009, 01:19
Imperial guard!

Ride the bandwaggony goodness!

Hicks
18-04-2009, 02:06
People sking this kind of question don't usually have all the minis they would need already... this leads me to this answer: do both!

What are the 2 things that can litterally kill one's will to paint? Doing the same color over and over and painting tons of guardsmen. Being able to alternate between the 2 projects should ensure that you won't burn yourself and stop painting.

Threeshades
18-04-2009, 02:10
Guards. There's enough tinboys around.

Logarithm Udgaur
18-04-2009, 04:11
If you are talking about these folks;
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt501imperials2.htm
my vote goes to Imperial Army. These guys kick @$$. I have a group of them myself which I use as conscripts.

A pre-heresy World Eaters army would also be cool, but as it sounds like you want post-heresy. I would go guard.

Trench_Raider
18-04-2009, 04:12
Those are the ones....I have a good number of those.

TR

JustTony
18-04-2009, 04:36
Guard, there's enough and them some of Chaos players.

To be different, paint them in a WWII camo pattern, like Pea Dot 44 or the Fallschigmjager splinter pattern. You don't see much of that in 40K.

BLARGAG!!!
18-04-2009, 04:50
I say that you start a Witch Hunters army! We don't see enough of them running around.

Eldanar
18-04-2009, 05:11
I started playing my Chaos army again recently. I am running a Khorne based theme, and it basically kicks ass (in 3 games versus former GT champions I have gone 2-1).

With that said, I flipped through the IG book a little earlier today. All I can say is OMFG!!! I can honestly say I did not pay much attention to the IG rumours over the last several months as I sold my army a few years ago. Now, I am very sorry that I did. The number of choices, and character types and unit types and tank variants, etc. is simply staggering...

I do not think you could go wrong either way.

sigur
18-04-2009, 08:13
I do not think you could go wrong either way.

I agree. Both things sound interesting although I have to say that I thinik that the Khorne CSM Warband sounds more interesting, especially as I think that the minis are more interesting.

Anyhoo, I don't tend to post things like "do both :D" but in this case I think it would be interesting if you did a khornate IG lot as well as a World Eaters force. You get quite a lot of different stuff to paint that way.

Sir_Turalyon
18-04-2009, 09:04
And for a moment I thought you are starting new army and buying non-RT models for a change. Silly me ;) .

That's a tough choice you have as any of them would be great to do. I would go for Guard for modeling / showcase purposes - these models are very original by today's standards while modern Khorne models are relatively similiar to RT design (if photos in catalogue are enough to judge).

But I really don't want to be seen as just another player who is jumping on the "new codex bandwagon"

With 120+ RT era models it won't be looking like bandwagon army. You had that Guard army for decades already, it was just waiting for you to do it and codex is good reason for that.

And to be honest the concept of painting up a large number of figures in the frankly uninspiring RT era "codex grey" uniform seems a bit like work.

Change the colour scheme to something more interesting? RT guard with their 1960's-SF feel should be good army to do something unusual and ... well... retro. For example, I did two squads I have in colours of 1960s Star Trek uniforms (black trousers, yellow shirts for seregants, blue for heavy/special weapons and com operators, red for common lasgunners, bleached bone helmets / belts) and it seems to suit them.

sigur
18-04-2009, 09:09
....or have a look at Cpt.Brown's Necromundian IG. They have a nice scheme too.

Skraal2099
18-04-2009, 11:39
I think that you should do IG, since you already have 2 CSM armies.

RevEv
18-04-2009, 15:24
I never thought I would see this happen.

Trenchy liking something that GW have done recently... whatever next, he'll be buying some new models.

However, to keep on topic, a suggestion I would make is Eldar Exodites. Their use of Dinosaurs would fit in well with the Trenchy method of Army Selection (he is, after all, one of the very few who still hark back to Squats).

boogle
18-04-2009, 16:16
As you've stated you've got multiple MEQ armies, go with the IG

Doppleskanger
18-04-2009, 23:22
Gaurd, those old models are way cool.

Imperius
19-04-2009, 02:00
Please don't jump on the bandwagon, atleast wait a few months after the release, but I'm still liking the idea of a Wolrd Eaters army.

Gen.Steiner
19-04-2009, 06:11
Do the Guard, Trenchie, but do them as Imperial Army in camo or khakis; I personally like the Italian telo mimetico pattern.

laudarkul
19-04-2009, 08:02
Go for the Guard...You have plenty of models and with some tanks you'll have plenty of army lists to try and have fun...

Trench_Raider
19-04-2009, 15:37
Anyway, it look like base upon conversations I've had with a couple of freinds and the inputs of the polls I have posted it's going to be guard.
I pulled out the box 'o RT guard last night and took inventory, did some prep work, repairs, etc. It looks like at the moment I'm sitting on the following:

-8 commisars (like I said, more than I can use)
-8 officers. medics, and standard bearers
-14 sgts
-66 troopers w' lasguns
-1 trooper w' lasgun
-2 troopers w' flamers
-13 troopers w' plasma guns
-10 lascannon troopers
-12 heavy bolter troopers
-3 troopers w' autocannons
-2 troopers w' multi-meltas (I'll "counts as" these as lasscannons)
-13 ratlings
-4 ogryns
-12 Imperial Guard beastmen (might make great penal legionarii...but I don't recall the unit size on them)
-3 leman Rus tanks
-2 chimeras
-1 basalisk
-1 Forge World Destroyer tank hunter (I got this as part of a trade...I don't know were it can fit in)

That should occupy my painting for a couple of weeks and be a good start on an army, wouldn't you say?

TR

victorpofa
19-04-2009, 17:36
I agree with Hicks. Do both. Start with Guard then World Eaters, and since you already have the infantry (and IG Tanks) pick up any vehicles for the World Eaters you will need before the price rise.