PDA

View Full Version : What's the cheapest way to put together a WotR army?

Angelust
18-04-2009, 20:30
Hey guys. Like many of you, I've been tempted towards starting a WotR army. However, like many of you, I'm not exactly rolling in money.

Normally when I start an army in Fantasy or 40k, I know the kind of army style I'm collecting towards, and I'll usually be able to scout something off of Ebay for 30-40% of the retail price in a nice bundle.

However w/ LotR, not that much stuff is on ebay, on bartertown, or floating around, especially right now w/ the release of WotR. So my question for you veterans is, what's the cheapest way to collect a rounded and effective army?

Personally, I'm leaning towards a Misty mountains army w/ Balrog ($32), ~6 boxes of moria goblins ($120), 4-5 cave trolls (~$80), and I can convert a few things like Wargs and a dragon from WHFB stuff that would fit the trick. All the prices are from thewarstore.com.

How are you guys going about collecting your armies? I know that the absolute cheapest thing to do would be to get a couple boxes of goblins, and like 3 balrogs...but I'm sure that'd be quite silly. Also, I'm not sure I really want to run a horde army, but I love the Balrog and cave trolls, though I don't want to play them for the power-factor, and would like a moderate amount of troops as well. I figured MM would be good for that as I'd have cheap companies and have lots of room for pts in big monsters.

Any advice? I don't know the ruleset at all, but have just heard/read the reviews and am willing to dive in.

Thanks in advance.

Jorgen_CAB
18-04-2009, 20:34
They are going to release Elves in plastic. I think they will be the absolutely cheapest army to play with if you ask me.

Though, those models are not released yet and i don't remember when but it should be soon I think.

Babolat360
18-04-2009, 23:24
Cheapest army to purchase is probably The Army of the Dead. Standard box of 24 gives you 3 companies which is already 180pts without upgrades. Heck you could just paint spare warriors of Rohan and Minas Tirith that you may have lying around using a ghostly colour scheme. Throw in a few other spirit units (easy to make/convert) and maybe a big monster or two (e.g. Fellbeast) and you've got yourself an army. If you were to take this route, Angmar is the best army choice.

TBH a misty mountains army is going to be expensive since the goblins are very cheap points wise and cave trolls are metal.

Hope this helps

HsojVvad
18-04-2009, 23:29
Cave Trolls are in Plastic now I thought.

Well if you want to do Goblins, get the Mines of Moria box set. Yes it's for SBG, but you get a few Goblins and a Cave Troll in their plus the Fellowship in their as well. Well for SBG it's an awsome deal, I would still think this would be a good deal to start a Goblin force as well. You get a bit of Goblin Terrian as well, (Moria Terrian that is)

I guess you will have to take the veterans word for it, if the MoM is a good start.

Babolat360
18-04-2009, 23:34
I believe only the Mordor/Isengard trolls are plastic. Cave trolls come in metal blisters but yes a plastic one comes with the MoM boxed set.

HsojVvad
18-04-2009, 23:37
I believe only the Mordor/Isengard trolls are plastic. Cave trolls come in metal blisters but yes a plastic one comes with the MoM boxed set.

I thought the old cave trolls were metal, the new cave trolls came out in plastic except for the captian troll. Guess I am wrong again lol.

LuciusAR
18-04-2009, 23:45
Cheapest army to purchase is probably The Army of the Dead. Standard box of 24 gives you 3 companies which is already 180pts without upgrades. Heck you could just paint spare warriors of Rohan and Minas Tirith that you may have lying around using a ghostly colour scheme. Throw in a few other spirit units (easy to make/convert) and maybe a big monster or two (e.g. Fellbeast) and you've got yourself an army. If you were to take this route, Angmar is the best army choice.

TBH a misty mountains army is going to be expensive since the goblins are very cheap points wise and cave trolls are metal.

Hope this helps

If your prepared to green stuff I think riders of the dead can be made out of the new plastic dead and the Riders of Rohan for a fraction of the price of their metal equivalents.

I've yet to try this but it looks doable. Riders of Rohan are always going for a song on Ebay.

Billpete002
18-04-2009, 23:46
cheapest and easiest army is all cavalry Rohan. All you buy is the plastic boxes of horsemen and proxy them with paint jobs for every unit in the army.

You can take every legendary (except that wasteful infantry one) plus all the cavalry core toss in 1-2 epic heroes and you have yourself a 2k army in no time.

Misty Mountains is perhaps the most expensive army just because it is sheer horde! goblins + goblins + more goblins - sure you can take the dragon and balrog and they are well worth the points - but not both in small games - people seem to believe they are invincible till a squad of ballista or such wipes the floor with them...

dvdhwk
19-04-2009, 00:03
Gondor is probably the cheapest right now. Especially with 6 cavalry for 20 USD. Anything where the majority of the stuff is plastic is a good way to go.

The problems with the elves until (if) they release, is that the only plastics are in the Warriors off the Last Alliance box, and you're only getting 16 models, because the rest are Numenoreans.

Angelust
19-04-2009, 02:00
Let me put it this way. If you had $200 to spend, and you had to put together an army of at least 2000 pts, how would you do it? Assumng 20% off retail and no tax.

Nu Fenix
19-04-2009, 02:30
Well, the main way to maximise your money would be an army with as much plastic as possible. However, I would also try to have some variety in my models, as otherwise it will get very boring and monotonous very quickly.

One army which hasn't been mentioned, and is my favourite list [so I am biased] is the Fallen Realms.
In plastic they have the following box sets:
* Corsairs of Umbar - 24 models, 8 Shield, 8 Spear, 8 Bow, giving you three full companies.
* Warriors of Harad - 24 models, 12 Spear, 12 Bow, giving you one and a half companies of each, so would need buying in even numbers.
* Haradrim Riders - 6 models, 3 Spear, 2 Bow, 1 Banner, which would likely be merged as one formation of three companies, though the bows could be serpeated.
* Easterlings - 20 Models, 8 Shield, 8 Bow, 4 Pikes, giving you two and a half companies, so these would also need buying in even numbers.

So you could use those as a core of an army, with the odd metal character dotted around for support, and maybe some metal cavalry, or even splashing in some allies from one of the other Evil armies as allies, to add further variety to the army whilst keeping the plastic support high.

The big thing at the end of the day is, no matter how good a deal we can find for an army, it still has to be interesting enough for you to build, paint and play with.

Edonil
19-04-2009, 05:02
I was able to put together 500 points of Mordor with 48 orcs, 6 wargs, a troll and a ringwraith for $125 retail. For another $65, I'll be able to add another 250 points in a heartbeat, with Black Guard of Barad-dur, or Morannon Orcs (I'm going the Black Guard myself). Ultimately, like people have said, go for armies with lots of plastics. Fallen Realms and Gondor have the most variety out of the plastic kits, although I am partial to the Mordor army myself. Warg Riders, Morannon Orcs, Mordor Orcs and the Troll are all plastic. With some conversion work you can turn the orc bowmen into Trackers, Isengard box sets could get you some Black Guard of Barad-dur,

JHK
19-04-2009, 06:23
Let me put it this way. If you had $200 to spend, and you had to put together an army of at least 2000 pts, how would you do it? Assuming 20% off retail and no tax.

Thats a nice Challenge. Here's my answer:

The Shadow of the East
Buy:
-Amdur Lord of Blades= 9.00
-Queen Beruthiel= ? You could proxy any female fantasy figure for her and paint it like a spirit.
-6 boxes of Easterling Warriors= 120.00 (By converting 4 of the sword armed warriors on each sprue to hold pikes, you will get 6 companies of Pikemen, 6 Companies of archers and 24 men with swords. You can convert some of the swordsmen to captains, dragon knights, banner bearers and sorcerors for command.
- Balrog= 32.00
- 2x Khandish Chariots= 40.00

total= 201.00 (pretty darn close!).

Army list=
Amdur 165 pts
Beruthiel 100 pts
Easterling Phalanx: 6 companies, Captain, Dragon Knight, Sorceror, 395 pts.
Easterling Archers: 3 companies, Captain, Dragon Knight, Sorceror, Banner: 325
Easterling Archers: 3 companies, Captain, Dragon Knight, Sorceror, Banner: 325
Khandish Chariot: 100 pts
Khandish Chariot: 100 pts
Balrog 500 Pts

Comes to a right around 2000 pts.

I am not saying its a brilliant list, but its not terrible. If you spent another 20-40.00 on troops boxes, you could get some more boots on the ground and could remove a few over-priced sorcerors from the lists, but it would be a fun army to start with. Its actually a scaled up version of a 1000 pt. Easterling army I am putting together as a "cheap" army; my 1000 pt. version has a Stone Giant rather than a Balrog.

Angelust
19-04-2009, 08:14
oh, you can ally things like balrogs into lists? Hm...that changes things a bit... :-)

WHat're rules on ally models?

takaetun
19-04-2009, 10:55
25% of your list may be taken from lists of the same side, Evil or Good. So, in that 2000pt list, he can take the 500pt Balrog, but that's it. Its a nice rule, means you can cover your backside where your weaknesses lie. They follow all the rules as normal, no ones like in WHFB where you can't use the general's leadership or no falling back through allied units, etc.

jaws900
19-04-2009, 12:30
If you want cheap then it's Orc. you can make several companie and covert many captains

miker1
19-04-2009, 12:38
Saruman, Lurtz and Wormtongue as the "Heroes"
1x6 companies [48] of pikemen 1x6 [48]of Uruk-Hai - make full commands [no shaman] yourself - captain easy, horn = greenstuff, std easy!
4 companies [32]of Army of dead
1 ballista [ebay is your friend here!!] = 1500 points

The leftovers will see you heading for 2000 points