PDA

View Full Version : What's the reason for so many people not liking the DE Harpies miniatures?

sigur
19-04-2009, 09:51
Hi, I keep on reading from many people how they don't like the current Harpies. I never read why they don't like them and am intrigued to know the reason(s) because I find the miniatures really great.

Cheers!

badgeraddict
19-04-2009, 09:58
I have 12 Harpies.
IMO they are vile! The hands & feet are awful, the faces....ugh
The wing bits are also buggers to attach.

Veloxnex
19-04-2009, 17:36
yup, what he said. Also not helped by the fact the beast has the potential to be modeled much better, ala new daemonettes

Chainaxe07
19-04-2009, 19:16
Basically big hands, warts and wings.
Basic body proportions and faces could (barely) pass.

Crube
19-04-2009, 19:26
As a model I don't truly despise it. Yes the hands and feet are a bit... erm,.... off I suppose is the best way to say it, and as has been mentioned the wings are a right royal pain in the derriere.

But the thing for me is how they compare to more recent sculpts. Now many older GW models for me really stand up to the recent models, and don't look out of place along side them, however these really show their age (and they're not that old :))

The thing that means I'll be converting mine (unless GW decide to redo them before I get round to it) is that they could look so much better. I'l be basing mine on the plastic Daemonette models, with the GW Harpy Wings attached.

Shadowsinner
19-04-2009, 19:44
they are EXPENSIVE! two models fore 15 bucks equals 6 harpies for about 50 including tax. considering that they have no speical ability besides flying, get shot down quickly, and are core models, I could get 10 or 20 models of any other dark elves unit for cheaper

Daxio
19-04-2009, 21:18
I recon daemonettes and some green stuff are the way to go. Current ones are expensive and look old before their time.

lakissov
19-04-2009, 21:42
I actually think that their faces are good.
What I dislike most is the legs - they are just horrible. The legs of old metal daemonettes (after removing all robes and armour) are so much better. Besides, I don't like the warped things on the stomach and between the breasts - but that is a minor concern, and nothing that some work with a file, a knife and greenstuff can't fix. Finally, the hands are ugly. It's not even about the size of the hands (doh, I made my harpies with ghoul hands which are even bigger) but about their shape and pose - they just feel somehow out of place, and make the whole pose of the model look stupid - a'la a picture from a scary cartoon raising their hands while making a spooky shout, trying to scare someone.

sulla
19-04-2009, 22:52
I have no problems with mine. Not the best of sculpts, but not the worst either.

SlaaneshSlave
19-04-2009, 23:54
But they are so much better than furies that most Chaos (now just DoC) players use harpies for their furies.

At those with a Slaaneshy vibe.

Shamfrit
20-04-2009, 00:32
Lol, ironically, I just brougth Furies cheap on Ebay to use as Harpies for Dark Elves.

They fit the Corsair/mad murderer theme more.

Zeuy
20-04-2009, 00:50
I don't mind the models too much. To compensate for the high price though, I'm filing down the bumps on their wings and using the wing bits for my
tyranid army.

Briohmar
20-04-2009, 09:35
I like them. I know, this flies in the face of the general theme, but as a Slaanesh Chaos player, I can think of no better model for my Chaos Furies. Plus I really hate the fury models. Plus, I've never had a problem with the wings. I have broken them aoff a few time in the last six years, but they always go back on really easily. Maybe its just the gel super glue I use has given me a good surface to reattach them, but I've never had a problem.

xragg
20-04-2009, 17:50
The thing that means I'll be converting mine (unless GW decide to redo them before I get round to it) is that they could look so much better. I'l be basing mine on the plastic Daemonette models, with the GW Harpy Wings attached.

Exactly what I am going to do. I refuse to let myself buy too much DE before I paint/finish what I have first. So I havent got around to doing it yet, even though I desperately want some harpies in my force.

badgeraddict
20-04-2009, 18:01
When I brought them it was during 6th DE, I wanted one of every unit. So I ordered 3 blisters from an online store. When the package arrived I found 6 blisters inside! Even if they are vile models, I am not going to sniff at the 6 free ones I got!

I use them in every DE list I make; people call them herpies.

sigur
21-04-2009, 12:21
Thanks for the replies. I still think this is very, very weird. Their faces are very nice looking and in line with the oder DE models, the legs and feet are properly bird-like, the claws are supposed to be their weapons so they need to be big.

The wings indeed are a bit of a problem but one that everyone can solve by pinning. Hmm, thanks for the insights anyway.

isidril93
21-04-2009, 21:20
i cant stand them...rather...ugly

ARabidNun
21-04-2009, 22:38
I think several people have the right idea with converting the plastic Slaanesh demons using the wings for the Chaos Furies. I personally put those same wings on some spare squigs and with some greenstuff and maybe arms bango, chaos furies (oh and added some GS fur to emphasis fury :) ...something that looks demony but not so much DE-ish.

and yes the wings for the current Harpy models are a nightmare and I am sure will break off when I pack them for the first game.

-Rabid

Cherrystone
22-04-2009, 00:31
I have about 25 of the older harpies; the half bird half naked woman (and a few men), the traditional look of a harpy but much better than the current "beasts" in my opinion.

chivalrous
22-04-2009, 00:32
The wings indeed are a bit of a problem but one that everyone can solve by pinning. Hmm, thanks for the insights anyway.

I never got the hang of pinning, just can't get the holes to match up, so I spend a lot of time filing the joins to get them just right, then use a thin seam of green stuff to smooth things out which helps he glue to hold the pieces together.

I for one like the hands and feet. They're not supposed to have human proportions and I don't think they're so overly proportioned.
They're certainly not subtle but they're not boxing gloves and ski boots by any stretch.