PDA

View Full Version : When to Stop?

Orwin
19-04-2009, 14:09
Hey Folks,

When, when collecting an army, you think it's time to stop? So far i own around 4000 points of Black Templars and i cannot represent everything on a fair ammount. Even having only 4 tanks and 121 infantry models, i couldn't field, for example, 4 heavy bolters at the same time.

Thinking about those things makes me wonder when is it time to stop collecting an army.

Thoughts?

Lord Damocles
19-04-2009, 14:12
So long as it's still of interest / enjoyable... NEVER!

My Blood Angels got to about 10,000pts, and then I got bored of Marines; so I've stopped adding to the army.

My Necrons on the other hand are at around 7000pts and still going strong.

Hellgore
19-04-2009, 14:23
Hey Folks,

When, when collecting an army, you think it's time to stop? So far i own around 4000 points of Black Templars and i cannot represent everything on a fair ammount. Even having only 4 tanks and 121 infantry models, i couldn't field, for example, 4 heavy bolters at the same time.

Thinking about those things makes me wonder when is it time to stop collecting an army.

Thoughts?

yeah, a question my wife keeps asking me, too...
I reached 20000 Pts with my marines and still going :)
I set myself to be able to field the Ultramarine as a whole chapter, so I still have some Marines to buy :D

The_Outsider
19-04-2009, 14:46
I cap my armies at around 2K - since I play 1500 almost exclusively the extra 500 points or so of stuff is down to spare models form battleforces and unit variants mostly.

JasonS
19-04-2009, 14:50
I only have about 4.5k of marines atm. However what I lack in models are things that I never use just becaue of my play style. I would say if you can sit down with the codex and field the list thats would would run, how ever many that would be, 4 or 5 for me, then you are done. If not then keep going.

Threeshades
19-04-2009, 14:57
It's time to stop (temporarily) when you cannot catch up on your collection with painting them. As soon as everythings painted, go on until you can't see that army anymore or you have all the variations of models of that army you'll ever need.

the-skylord
19-04-2009, 14:58
Well around 3000pts, normally play games of around 1500 to 2000pts, but i like variation in the army so i have lots of different units that make the games fun.

Or i stop when i've had enough of that army.

Deadmanwade
19-04-2009, 14:58
10,000 Nids
10,000 + Marines
8000 Guard

I passed the Stop! sign 22,000 points ago and I'm still accelerating.

stevegb
19-04-2009, 15:19
Never. Just look to apocalypse and begin to introduce units and bits from allied lists and eventually craft them into a new stand alone list :) That's what I do. I have just started on a space marine force. Don't need them per se but as I don't have any then I guess I must do.

Grand Master Raziel
19-04-2009, 15:25
What is this "stop" word you refer to? ;)

Gen.Steiner
19-04-2009, 15:30
Never. I think that answers your question...!

mfv
19-04-2009, 15:35
STOP? I can't I kicked smoking but this, we need a warhammer patch;)

Francois
19-04-2009, 15:41
For real! It's not even just about power on the table, the minis are just fun to paint:) I don't think I'll ever get tired of painting more Sisters of Battle.

101st Vostroyan
19-04-2009, 15:43
I think stop when you get variations of everything in the army book. You can then be satisfied with taking on any opponent. Besides, starting a new army is great fun!!

Threeshades
19-04-2009, 15:46
I think stop when you get variations of everything in the army book. You can then be satisfied with taking on any opponent. Besides, starting a new army is great fun!!

too much fun sometimes. The only armies I haven't started yet are necrons, and tau. Otherwise ive had at least an HQ and two troops units or at least a codex of every faction.

MrGiggles
19-04-2009, 16:02
Threeshades has it. When your 'To Paint' box becomes an obstacle, it's time to put the breaks on collecting, at least for a time.

In terms of the overall ceiling for your army though, it's completely interest based. I've around 5000 points of Orks at present and there are still lots of things I want to make, paint and do with the army.

Basically my advice is to keep it painted and keep it fun. I know people who just do tournament armies. They build a list for say, 1850 and that's it. I also know folks like me who basically take the attitude of doing everything you want to with an army before switching to another.

totgeboren
19-04-2009, 16:15
I'm more of a painter/converter, so when I get a good idea for a unit/model, I buy the stuff I need to make it "real".

When I play games I just pick the units I like. I got almost 6000 pts CSM/Traitor IG for example, so that approach works for me. When I don't feel motivated to paint any units for an army, they start to collect dust. And its always easy to paint stuff you are inspired by.

I think I do it the other way around than alot of people here? :)

Sister_Sin
19-04-2009, 16:19
Stop? You mean we're supposed to stop? O_O

I have nearly the entire Salamanders Chapter, minus starships and such of course. But almost all 7 companies are complete...and I aim to finish them. After that...well...more vehicles. I guess. Scratchbuilt Thunderhawks I suppose. Something.

Sister Sin

absolon
19-04-2009, 16:21
Budget and time should be the only things that should get in the way of growing your army, unless you have a wife that complains about the amount of space it takes up. Me I can field two complete marine chapters and at least 10,000 points of any other army. Yet I am constantly acquiring more stuff.
I work on the simple Ferengi maxim “more is nice, all is better”

sigur
19-04-2009, 16:29
Most of the time, the amount of miniatures I get limits the size of the army. Err...what I mean is that I get 2nd hand minis most of the time and at some point I decide I spent enough money on a single army and can field all options I like. Like with my Sisters of Battle, I definately have enough miniatures at the moment and have to get to terms with painting them.

As for my Orks, I have all the miniatures I need (probably too many), now I get them painted and that's it. Same with Dark Elves before that. I got them all painted now and that's it.

Now as for my IG armies....that's a bit different. Someone mentioned it a while ago and I agree with him: IG armies really never are "done". I have three IG armies now, only two of them painted and stilly buy stuff occationally.:o

Deetwo
19-04-2009, 16:55
I made the mistake of starting a daemon army..
And you know, the book has WAY too much very cool stuff.
Can't seem to stop adding to the collection, already well past a single FoC :D

Cane
19-04-2009, 16:58
I'd say a good time to stop would be when you can no longer fit your entire army on an 8x4 table with no terrain on it in which case you just start another one ;)

bocaj
19-04-2009, 17:01
Hey Folks,

Thoughts?

So long as it's still of interest / enjoyable... NEVER!

My Blood Angels got to about 10,000pts, and then I got bored of Marines; so I've stopped adding to the army.

My Necrons on the other hand are at around 7000pts and still going strong.

yeah, a question my wife keeps asking me, too...
I reached 20000 Pts with my marines and still going :)
I set myself to be able to field the Ultramarine as a whole chapter, so I still have some Marines to buy :D

I only have about 4.5k of marines atm. However what I lack in models are things that I never use just becaue of my play style. I would say if you can sit down with the codex and field the list thats would would run, how ever many that would be, 4 or 5 for me, then you are done. If not then keep going.

10,000 Nids
10,000 + Marines
8000 Guard

I passed the Stop! sign 22,000 points ago and I'm still accelerating.

Threeshades has it. When your 'To Paint' box becomes an obstacle, it's time to put the breaks on collecting, at least for a time.

In terms of the overall ceiling for your army though, it's completely interest based. I've around 5000 points of Orks at present and there are still lots of things I want to make, paint and do with the army.

Basically my advice is to keep it painted and keep it fun. I know people who just do tournament armies. They build a list for say, 1850 and that's it. I also know folks like me who basically take the attitude of doing everything you want to with an army before switching to another.

I'm more of a painter/converter, so when I get a good idea for a unit/model, I buy the stuff I need to make it "real".

When I play games I just pick the units I like. I got almost 6000 pts CSM/Traitor IG for example, so that approach works for me. When I don't feel motivated to paint any units for an army, they start to collect dust. And its always easy to paint stuff you are inspired by.

I think I do it the other way around than alot of people here? :)

Stop? You mean we're supposed to stop? O_O

I have nearly the entire Salamanders Chapter, minus starships and such of course. But almost all 7 companies are complete...and I aim to finish them. After that...well...more vehicles. I guess. Scratchbuilt Thunderhawks I suppose. Something.

Sister Sin

Budget and time should be the only things that should get in the way of growing your army, unless you have a wife that complains about the amount of space it takes up. Me I can field two complete marine chapters and at least 10,000 points of any other army. Yet I am constantly acquiring more stuff.
I work on the simple Ferengi maxim “more is nice, all is better”

Pics of your armys please

Fire Harte
19-04-2009, 17:02
I dunno...

Stopping seems so bad!

But I stopped with Imperial Marines because I had no direction to them at all. With my chaos marines I can happily go on for ages as I can expand into daemons and imperial guard with ease. I have ammassed nearly 4,000 points of chaos marines and I don't wanna quit!

Lord Damocles
19-04-2009, 17:41
Pics of your armys please

If I could be bothered to move that many models I would... but I'm far too lazy for that :D

Hlokk
19-04-2009, 17:45
The way Im going to do armies in the future is like this:

2000 point army list thats legal and competitive, but built around a nice theme
1000 points of what I call "woo-woo crap", cool units which suck but look awesome (posessed, warp spiders etc...) and a few alternative commanders, the idea being to let me expand the army to apocalypse size and paint some units I like the look of but have no intention of fielding competitively.
1 forgeworld thing for that army.

marv335
19-04-2009, 17:50
for me, the stopping point of an army is when I can field at least one full strength unit with all available options for each choice in the codex plus enough troops to completely fill all six slots (again with all options available)
I want to be able to reach into my army case and have the ability to put together any possible theme/combination from the codex.

Orks, so far are proving a touch expensive for this, but it'll be worth it!
And I'm only hovering around 4000pts too

TheFloatingHead
19-04-2009, 19:22
It's time to stop when you're seriously considering throwing down $80.00 for a FW limited edition Krieg Mounted Commissar.

Hicks
19-04-2009, 19:26
Now when I start an army I stop at 4000pts max. Otherwise you're stuck with units you won't ever use.

Thud
19-04-2009, 20:27
Well, I'm currently in the process of making a rather large Eldar army. I'll have a 1,500 points Wraithzilla list, a 1,500 points Mech list plus a 1,500 points jetbike list. As the jetbike list will be borrowing a unit from the Wraith-list and probably a couple from the Mech list, that'd put me at about 4,000 points of Eldar when I'm done. Of course, I'll probably buy a lot of junk I'll never field, so let's say 5,000.

In addition to that I have approximately 3,000 points of playable Tau. That is, I could field a relatively, albeit half-painted, competitive Tau army at 3,000 points. I also have about 4,000ish points of Space Wolves, but I haven't really fielded those in quite a while now, so it could be anything from 3,500 to 5,000 points. Oh, and yeah, I have a 1,500 point Tyranid army stashed away somewhere.

Panzerkanzler
19-04-2009, 20:40
I usually stop at around 4k. You don't need overly many models to be able to reprsent (almost) everything in your codex. You just need to be smart and magnetize the stuff. Magnetizing takes a little work, but much less so than wasting a lot of money on new configs of models you already own. In my Tau army, for example, I have 6 tank chassis. I have magnetized them and can field them in any kind of combination of devilfishes/railheads/ionheads/skyrays. Good stuff.

brightblade
19-04-2009, 21:36

Strewth! Now that is bold! I like it.

Only stop collecting when you want, for my Eldar,(9000pts) that will be never.:D

Imperius
19-04-2009, 21:36
3000 Points of the army you absolutely love, 2000 points for armies that are fun to paint and play.

0 points for auto-win armies. Trust me, you will get bored so quickly winning no matter what.

Pink Horror
19-04-2009, 21:59
Stop when you have no more room.

DalekSek
19-04-2009, 22:03
Never! i have about 4,000 models, i've had to build additional shelves to display them! I don't think it's possible to stop! (besides GW will send Inquisorial forces around to see you if you stop!)

toymaker
19-04-2009, 22:57
i was wondering when this topic when come up. I have about 8k of Nurgle/Death Guard and about 5K of Khorne/World Eaters. I buy stuff when I can and eventually I'll get fed up. I don't need regular stuff. Just getting FW items to bulk them up.

Now the other 2 unmentionables. I decided to plan for the future and get some stuff now to A. beat the price increase and B. because I won't always have the ability to be as liquid as I am now. Plus when my kids get a little older they'll have their own armies.
That being said I planned and purchased the 2 other armies. I have a 2.2k Emperor's Children army with a number of forge world items and 2 full Sonic Blaster squads.
The 2nd kinda went and got away from me a little. I was planning and getting everything I need for a 2K Bad Moons Ork army. I ended up with about 4.5K. So I have everything (and then some) I need including a stompa and a FW Fighta Bomma and the FW ork Warboss and Nob Bikers. The last 2 are in boxes packed away until I need them.

BLARGAG!!!
19-04-2009, 23:28
I stopped with my Witch Hunters when I was able to field at least one of every entry in the codex. It turned out to be about 8k.

Caprosmaster
20-04-2009, 03:13
i go up to 3000 points per army normally, thats enoguh to fill up around most of the FOC, and just beneath the apoc bench, then after that you can always add an apoc formation or such like.

Caprosmaster

Cap'n Facebeard
20-04-2009, 03:26
I think you misunderstand the purpose of this game.

One thing you should NEVER do is budget how much the army cost you. Let the mystery remain.

cuda1179
20-04-2009, 05:18
I don't know if I am qualified to answer this, as I have never been able to stop myself. I own every codex with at least one army for every codex at Apoccolypse size.

When you own 15 titans and are trying to finish an Imperator as their leader, is it time to stop?

galahad67
20-04-2009, 05:43
I am closing in on 50k of models in various armies, grey knight, sob, IG, Daemons, Titans, eldar, space wolves, Imperial navy

I look at what I am missing

GK = could use 2 more squads for a dedicated fast attack and some more reaiders for foot troop transport, maybe some of the new razorback from FW

SOB = the cardinal fig, and more immolators ( only have 10 or so that can also be exorcists)

IG = gorgon, more death riders, the new rider commisar, dedicated heavy bolter teams, grenadiers and more centaurs, engineers and drills, valkyries, storm supers...

Daemons = more beasts, steeds, that beatigul scorpion, the khorne herald, plaguebearers (only have 20...)

Titans = more weaposn for my warhounds, an armorcast reaver, a phantom, a jackal

eldar = prism unit, 3 phoenix lords, more bikes, phantom, cobra

Space wolves= raiders, redeemers, some FW termies, the new SW guard with claws

Navy= marauder destroyer, Thunderhawk, thunderbolts

50K + and there are still lots of places to expand.

Oh and scenery...

galahad67
20-04-2009, 05:45
It's time to stop when you're seriously considering throwing down $80.00 for a FW limited edition Krieg Mounted Commissar.

why?

seems reasonable to me.

My death riders need "encouragement"...

Fafner_Ni
20-04-2009, 05:47
I don't know if I am qualified to answer this, as I have never been able to stop myself. I own every codex with at least one army for every codex at Apoccolypse size.

When you own 15 titans and are trying to finish an Imperator as their leader, is it time to stop?

Wow, i salute you sir!

As for me my main army is guard as said before they never stop, i also have about 5k of eldar, 4k space marines and 3k of these things called dark eldar.

TimLeeson
20-04-2009, 06:02
I have lots of armies, but most are small. I usually stop at 1000 or 1500 points. I personally get bored of painting lots and lots of models so tend to keep it to small amounts of models but focus on the theme and detail of each miniature. Rules are no problem, because homemade xeno players can simply pick which to "counts as" :D

My largest army however are Tzeentch Daemons, with 2000 points. I'd definitly expand that if they released new plastic horrors or something.. id just have to have them.

CarbonCopy
20-04-2009, 06:58
Umm, I have zero plans to stop collecting. However, I do have specific army plans.

At the moment, my target is as follows:
1) An entire company-clan strength Iron Hands Marine army, plus a few extras (at least two full ten-man strong scout squads and a minimum of 22 Terminator models.
2) At least enough inquisitorial stuff to fill the FOC and be used as an independent army.
3) Prety much at least three of every vehicle I like and one full squad of each troop type I like from Codex Eldar (One full squadron of Vipers, War Walkers, three Fire Prisms, three Falcons, three Wraithlords, etc.

The sad part is, I pretty much have all that in boxes, mostly unassembled & unpainted - much of it dating back almost 20 years. I'm a slow painter...

I have been promising myself that once I get all of the above completed, I'd start a Guard army. Yah, right...

dblaz3r
20-04-2009, 11:30
Stop when you have no more room.

Buy a bigger house then you need not stop ;)

For my DA I would cap it at a whole chapter. Whether or not I actually could be bothered going that far, who knows, definitely a couple of companies at the minimum. As for other armies I think it would depend on how much I liked each one, between 5-10k (Minus super heavies of course.) would be good enough to provide me with some good apoc games.