PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the win/loss records?

Anvilbrow
19-04-2009, 18:26
I recently had a discussion with some friends of mine regarding the trend of Warseer (and other forum) posters who include their win/loss record in their signatures. I am truly curious, why?

We had a few theories, and I'm not seeking to flame or troll with this:

1. Warhammer is the only competitive outlet these individuals have.
2. Age. We are all over forty and couldn't care less about our personal win/loss record (and before you cry "losers," among my group are two GT overall winners- who by the way don't include that in their sigs here) Perhaps younger guys tend to care more about their record?
3. Pure B.S? Stats are made up to massage egos? I sincerely hope not, but people do cheat in the game to make themselves feel better, why not here?

I have noticed that there aren't many people with losing records. Curious...

Let me buck the trend by stating my record: I have likely lost more than I have won, but over the couple of decades I've been playing I have not kept track because for me it's not about a win/loss record, it's about three or four hours during which I'm not working or sweating the details of life.

Please educate me/us.

Oguleth
19-04-2009, 18:32
As one that tended to do so on Portent (as did a lot back there too, I think), I had, and still have, some kind of addiction to log my games. As I also posted in tactica threads and so on where I often shared some kind of experience with the games too. My stats were never really anything the like of some people are sigging here though, with the 100 wins and 1 loss kinda stuff; I remember someone congratulating me for suddenly having a 1 win in my Dark Eldar record after 12 games or so..

I'd still sig stats - but these days it's a fun/boring game record, and I am way too lazy to post in tacticas and not to mention update sig that often. :p

Dexter099
19-04-2009, 18:38
I just like keeping track of my stats, to see how ell I have done recently. Also, to convince shooty Dark Eldar players why assualt Dark Eldar is the only way to go.

Grimtuff
19-04-2009, 18:38
I recently had a discussion with some friends of mine regarding the trend of Warseer (and other forum) posters who include their win/loss record in their signatures. I am truly curious, why?

People need to flex their e-Peens somehow. :rolleyes:

the_reaper
19-04-2009, 19:32
People who win on a regular basis might feel the need to make it known, just like someone who's made a bit of money might want a fancier car, to make it known (that analogy may a bit OTT, but hey).

Maybe they have alot of friends they know in person, and they're rather competetive, something you pointed out.

Laissez-faire my friend :)

-reaper

W0lf
19-04-2009, 19:35
My WoC isnt in mine. My Vampire was recently added as ive just finished my army and im quite proud. If anything its a personal record as i dont expect anyone else to give a ****.

Lordy
19-04-2009, 19:51
I don't mind records, the thing i do mind is half the records are just stupid. A guy on the beastmen forum has like an 80% win record with beasts over 80 games. I'm sorry but even if your the best player in the world you will not win 80% of games with Beasts Of Chaos.

If you look around the records on the forum nearly all of them are stupidly positive, my beast record is a reasonable 6 wins 0 Draws 8 Defeats, which i feel is fairly good, 3 defeats were against Dark Elves.

So anyway enough rambling, my point was i think records are fine and dandy but to see everyone just have stupid record results in their signature is annoying as hell.

selone
19-04-2009, 20:35
Mine chronicles my experiences with orcs as found in my battle report thread, oh and I'm un competitive young whippersnapper.

starlight
19-04-2009, 20:56
Many gamers are on the young (okay, some are older and immature:p) side, so maybe their W/L/D record is one of the few things they've actually accomplished in their lives...

Personally, how many games of toy soldiers I've won or lost isn't even *on* the list of *important things* in my life, so I've never kept track...even when I *was* young... Build the toys, play the game, have a good time. :)

Daxio
19-04-2009, 21:13
I am sorry, but as a near 50 year old player of some 20 years plus, I have far more losses than wins, and could care less to be honest. The stats of many posters are massaged, some may be realistic, but most are exaggerated. Some have to be and I will tell you why, because everyone is winning, all the time. No one can tell me that only winners post on Warseer, I'm sure some of you are loosers just like me :-)

weirdo2590
19-04-2009, 21:23
Well I could always post mine for my blood angels of 1 win, 1 draw and 8 losses ( so proud of that win ^^). This year that is :p

People post them to show how "awesome" they are with their army so the figures, pardon the pun, are almost always put in a favourable light. If you're gonna tell people about your gaming you want to sound good. Unless of course like me you're actualy proud of loosing. I ahve something of a reputation to keep for it after all.

Nephilim of Sin
19-04-2009, 21:23
I would say it is probably for the same reason that we have project logs. Some are into the hobby side, and love to post their work. Some are into the gaming side, and post battle reports, or else update their sig. I doubt it has anything to do with one's age, much like the project logs do not have to do with one's age. Are they inflated? Perhaps. But I can understand someone posting in their sig something relevant to, you know, a warhammer forum as opposed to having useless information in there that has no bearing to the hobby at all. I don't put my favorite tv shows in my sig, but I imagine I would if I were on a relevant forum. Also, it gives the sig a lot more info to be read, as well, than just 'I Play Space Marines!!!!1!!!' in there.

Peregijn
19-04-2009, 21:33
wel i just edded it in my sig, i think it is a nice way to keep track, some day there will be a win in my sig, i just know it. so yes its yust for my own ego. but sometimes i allouw myself to be praud, never giving up and stuff like that.

or i could sayi realy almost never win: so i will keep track here and force evry one to be sympethetic towards me. that would be what i think most people would think that i want them to think.
but i dont care what others think about me posting my win/lose records, i like to show them. ;)

WarlockOMork
19-04-2009, 21:39
Yup its just a very good way to keep track.

(of course im sure there is also some e-peen stroking involved. :) )

also i think its quite relevant to a "warhammer" forum thing.
and might be intresting, i personaly like reading em in other peoples sigs.

Everyone should have one :D

(even if its, Win:1 lost: 37568, i mean then you can really be damn proud of that win :) )

Edit: also i seriously agree with Desalbert: He's 2 posts down.

Mosedeke
19-04-2009, 21:48
I keep track of wins/losses in my head against some people that play regularly, but I never saw it as terribly relevant, unless it also links to an army list with tips on how to use it to be so awesome and have a 50 wins/1 loss record. Keep in mind I'm being cynical here, and have nothing against the half dozen people before me with Wins/Losses in their signature. ;)

Though I will admit that I've been toying with the idea of having a kill count in my signature. Seeing as I play horde IG and swarm tyranids against mostly Space Marines, I've experienced an absolutely ridiculous killed/kills count, and I think I may just start recording it.

Desalbert
19-04-2009, 21:54
For me, it's not at all about stroking my ego, and I will post every single loss I endure to my stats, even if I lose every game. I do it simply because I'm semi-addicted to seeing my progress and my ability with all the armies I have. It's because I grew up playing online games too, and especially sports video games with my brother and dad, and we'd always record our career wins and losses in our franchises-- it's just something that appeals to me.

I play Dawn of War 2 for example, and even when I lose, I like seeing the numbers added to my profile-- In a way, for me, seeing my stats gives me a history I can remember, and, it makes it seem productive, beyond just being fun, in a sense.

Pink Horror
19-04-2009, 21:56
I turned off sigs, because I generally don't like the stuff in sigs, including the records. I've never kept track of that myself, either. I think I've won at least half, though I know plenty of losses are in there. Those huge records basically say, "I'm beating up on local uniformed gamers instead of helping them get better."

Dexter099
19-04-2009, 22:02
I turned off sigs, because I generally don't like the stuff in sigs, including the records.

How do you turn off sigs?

Anyways, I don't get to play much warhammer, but the reason I'm into it is for the competitive gaming and maybe a little fluff, so the only part of the hobby I really care about I put up in my sig.

I think the reason most people keep their W/L/D records up is because Warhammer, at its core, is a competitive game, where two guys sit down, have a game, and one guy walks away smiling. This isn't D&D, folks.

Leth Shyish'phak
19-04-2009, 22:07
Pfft, all win/loss records in sigs are obviously entirely correct. You're just jealous that you can't compare to my record.

Sirroelivan
19-04-2009, 22:10
The only thing I'd keep track of myself is how many special feats my army has pulled off. Like number of carnosaur/dragon/hydra heads collected or something like that, just for fun.

vinny t
19-04-2009, 22:12
I think they believe that it makes their posts "carry more weight" perhaps, or it makes their opinion more important. I recently had my daemons battle record up here untill I realized that I have no idea how many games I've won, lost, or even played. Maye record-posters are just competitive though. I personally don't mind at all if someone wants to show their own personal stats, it's no big deal.

I also think its a fun way to kep track of personal stats, kind of like grading yourself.

@ Leth Shyish'phak - Best sig ever!

sigur
19-04-2009, 22:12
I think the reason most people keep their W/L/D records up is because Warhammer, at its core, is a competitive game, where two guys sit down, have a game, and one guy walks away smiling. This isn't D&D, folks.

Maybe but the way you describe it, it isn't even a game.:rolleyes:

Kahadras
19-04-2009, 22:30
IMHO its a bit pointless. Generaly I win about 50% of the games I play. Poor luck, off days and bad matchups combine to make sure that my win to loss record is kept fairly average. It always amazes me that some people can play 40 games plus and claim to only lose a couple.

Kahadras

Lordsaradain
19-04-2009, 22:46
Its not like having a W/D/L record in your sig does any harm, most people are not overly interested, but why care. :p

Shangrila
19-04-2009, 22:55
I have only been playing for 5 years, and ive played more games then i can count let alone remember the outcome of. I think epic stuff during a game is whats important, like a termie chaplain losing to my 10 guardsmen in CC(no losses!). or somthing like that.

besides how do we know they dont log games against their cat?

Foegnasher
19-04-2009, 23:02
just like to see how i am doing.

i'll reset it next year.

i have just now got to the point where i win more than i lose. i very rarely won a game with my skaven for the last 5 years or so. maybe 1 out of every 4 games.

selone
19-04-2009, 23:21
besides how do we know they dont log games against their cat?

You can of course read about every game in my sig ;)

W0lf
19-04-2009, 23:22
I love the posts about people lieing and e-peens to the posts reguarding people only having win/loss as the only success in their lives.

Have you ever thought that people wont care what you think of their records as its obvious that you can make it up. I know i never take peoples win/loss into accoutn but i still enjoy posting my new one.

As i said its a nice N easy way to keep record. I could write it down on the back of my army list or elsewhere but ive done that before and lost it. Right now id really like to know my win/loss for WoC as its a nice way to evaluate success.

WarlockOMork
19-04-2009, 23:24
even then you can have made those up. :D

simply put, you dont know. but what do you care about whats in someone elses sig.

either you believe em or you dont simple as that :)

Edit: ninja posted. wouldnt have tought it'd happen, but it seems i agree with W0lf

theunwantedbeing
19-04-2009, 23:25
Losses 3, Draws 2
The rest(I lost count), Wins.

There we go may as well use this as an excuse to give a win/loss record :P

It's not that important really.
I generally recall the number of times I've been beaten by any particular opponent rather than the times I've won. Usually I can get the morale victory when I lose by keeping my general alive, much to the annoyance of my opponents :P

orkz222
19-04-2009, 23:26
Show off, keeping record are the main reasons i think... For me win/lose dont matter I play for the enjoyment of the game.

selone
19-04-2009, 23:26
even then you can have made those up. :D

simply put, you dont know. but what do you care about whats in someone elses sig.

either you believe em or you dont simple as that :)

I'd be doing pretty well to not only make up the reports but also do photo's plus maps whilst making up other account names who are part of my gaming group and then pass comment on them :D
I can understand why people might be a bit skeptical but jeeze :D

Vilicate
19-04-2009, 23:29
Personally, I think that it has a lot to do with people wanting it to lend their posts weight - listen to what I have to say, I've won X games with blah-blah army.

That's pretty much what I get out of it anyway, as someone who wins 90% of their games :D

Desalbert
19-04-2009, 23:33
Personally, I think that it has a lot to do with people wanting it to lend their posts weight - listen to what I have to say, I've won X games with blah-blah army.

That's pretty much what I get out of it anyway, as someone who wins 90% of their games :D

I disagree, respectfully, simply because, (as this thread shows) no one gives a damn how much you've won. So really, there is no weight being added to posts at all, and I think most people who post sig-records are aware of that.

Maybe a small percentage believes it makes them more important, but I don't believe most people do,like the quoted poster (and others) do.

Once again, I second the notion that the record in the sig is just for me, personally, and no one else. It's just a good place to put it-- in the only warhammer forum I visit.

So, with all due respect, I think it's pretty unfair to suggest that we all want to add weight to our posts, or, stroke our egos...
-Des

W0lf
19-04-2009, 23:37
Can i get a W0lf won this thread?

^^

starlight
19-04-2009, 23:38
How do you turn off sigs?

Anyways, I don't get to play much warhammer, but the reason I'm into it is for the competitive gaming and maybe a little fluff, so the only part of the hobby I really care about I put up in my sig.

In your User CP. :)

And that may be the way *you* play Warhammer, but "...at it's core..." it is most certainly *not* a competitive game. It didn't start out that way, and the game designers don't treat it that way. The tournament (ie competitive) aspect is somewhat recent in the grand scheme. GW's games are primarily social games. They are for mates to have fun playing together over beers. :)

selone
19-04-2009, 23:52
I'll post my thought's about this in a more serious tone.
Now I can certainly empathise with people who are a bit skeptical about records, hell I was. I used to smile wryly when I saw someone (especially with a 'weaker' army) with a massive W/L record. I mean who would sig a losing record in their sig?
I suspected that people were either exagerating their wins or beating on people that weren't much of a fight, mind I'm not sure my first thoughts were to question their maturity or think they'd plain lied about their games.

Everyone plays warhammer for their own reason's whether it's the social aspect, background(fluff) modelling or simply the challenge of pitting wits. They're all equally valid reason's and all us are proud of the part(s) of the game we participate in. Some are modellers and link to their painting/modelling blogs, some link to their background story/fluff and some to their record. They're all IMO as valid as each other and to ponder why someone does it is as pondering why someone sigs their painting, or their unique marine chapter etc.

For me I put in A W/L record after I'd put up a battle report thread, not because I'm young as some infer (but immature- maybe ;)) but to go alongside my report, every time I posted a new rep of a game I'd played so I would change to my sig. Whilst I'll happily accept a charge of being competative, thats surely no crime in a game which pits player versus player (as long as you don't get too arsey).

You could make the point that my record isn't a fair representation of the state of play or as one poster did that I'm playing against people I should be trying to improve not beating. Thats a fair point- my record isn't representative of the wider state of the game nor all my opponents super tacticians at the game, but I'm no super tactician either. But I have no point to prove it's just my games :)

To sum it up, I can understand why you might roll your eyes at W/L record's or be a bit skeptical of just what level of competition they face but to publically state that you think they are/could be made up or that the person is doing it to showoff/increase their epeen/because of their lack of maturity is a bit well inflammatory.

starlight
19-04-2009, 23:58
Only if it's directed at a specific person and their record, as opposed to the idea in general.

I think it's silly to post records, but other people think many things I do are silly so we're even.:) However, as far as specific people's records and their validity? I'm pretty indifferent. As long as what you do isn't hurting anyone else, fill your boots. :)

selone
20-04-2009, 00:03
I can cope with someone thinking that what I do is silly, I mean as a hobbyist its nothing new :D Although with age seems to have come acceptance :)

I'm just not sure saying things like-
Many gamers are on the young (okay, some are older and immature) side, so maybe their W/L/D record is one of the few things they've actually accomplished in their lives... is very helpful though even if its meant in jest :p

starlight
20-04-2009, 00:10
It's not jest, it's simply pointing out that for the average 12-16y/o geek/nerd, this may *really* be a big deal for them. It's not a bad thing, just an awareness. As you get older and accomplish more things with your life, you realise that beating your (hopefully) friends at games of toy soldiers isn't really that important and you stop keeping track of the unimportant things. :)

As an example...when people tell me things are *urgent*, I reflect on my career as a medic and realise that very few people understand *true* urgency...doesn't make them bad, just different. As long as you're still breathing and all the blood is on the inside, it's likely not as *urgent* as people like to think... ;) But that's me... :)

One of Warseer's members keeps track of his games in his Sig...but he tracks the games he had *fun* in, rather than whether he won or lost. Now *that's* something I'd consider worth tracking. :D I couldn't care less whether or not I won, as long as we had fun. :D

W0lf
20-04-2009, 00:10
Many gamers are on the young (okay, some are older and immature) side, so maybe their W/L/D record is one of the few things they've actually accomplished in their lives...

What you say about other people, says far more about *you* than it does about *other people*.

Nuff said?

starlight
20-04-2009, 00:17
Not getting your point there...

In the Post I was pointing out that the perspective you have (age/experience) influences your actions (W/L/D record in this case). In the Sig I was pointing out that people tend to recognise things they don't like about themselves when they view other people (which is a common theory in psych fields).

The two aren't related...especially since *not* having a W/L/D record in my Sig implies that I *have* accomplished things in my life that are more important...which would be true.

selone
20-04-2009, 00:22
It's not jest, it's simply pointing out that for the average 12-16y/o geek/nerd, this may *really* be a big deal for them. It's not a bad thing, just an awareness. As you get older and accomplish more things with your life, you realise that beating your (hopefully) friends at games of toy soldiers isn't really that important and you stop keeping track of the unimportant things.

As an example...when people tell me things are *urgent*, I reflect on my career as a medic and realise that very few people understand *true* urgency...doesn't make them bad, just different. As long as you're still breathing and all the blood is on the inside, it's likely not as *urgent* as people like to think... But that's me...

One of Warseer's members keeps track of his games in his Sig...but he tracks the games he had *fun* in, rather than whether he won or lost. Now *that's* something I'd consider worth tracking. :D I couldn't care less whether or not I won, as long as we had fun. :D

I would hope that by the time they get to 16 they have accomplished more than just a W/L record, even I'd accomplished more than that by 16 :D

Whilst I get the point that with age comes realisation and err more important accomplishments and yes beating someone at warhammer isn't that important, I'm not sure how this ties into W/L records :) I mean I'm tracking the progress of Nork's warband (my orcs) on a warhammer forum not telling work colleagues about it :)

Thanks for your service to whichever country you were a medic in, I could not stand the drunken idiots to do it.

In an ideal world everyone would have fun every game and you could measure fun empirically (fair play to the guy he seems to have :D) but is it wrong to have fun when you win? I'm not suggesting you play WAAC or create armies that are awful to play against but if you play your friend with two equalish armies and you get a hard fought win is it wrong to take pleasure from besting an opponent in a tatical match?

starlight
20-04-2009, 00:39
I would hope that too, but Warhammer/40K/LotR attacts the mistfits, nerds, and geeks. Maybe this is the only competitive aspect of their life? Maybe it just *seems* like it's their only accomplishment because no one else recognises the other ones...?

I'd rather lose a hard fought match that comes down to the last die roll, than win every game. :) Most of the games I remember best were either Draws, or narrow Losses. :) For me, it's all about the heroic stories (yes and the silly ones too:p) told afterwards, not who won or lost. :) There's nothing wrong with enjoying a win, but *I* think there's something wrong when you *must* win to have fun, even at the expense of your opponent's enjoyment, other people disagree...and that's their call. As long as we can all find enough opponents, it's all good. :)

Necromancy Black
20-04-2009, 00:43
I would hope that too, but Warhammer/40K/LotR attacts the mistfits, nerds, and geeks.

**** you buddy, we're an awesome crowd! :p

Mostly I wanted to keep record someone I can easily access from anywhere, cause I never really had any idea of how well I was playing before hand.

I couldn't give a **** if people think it's e-peen waving, just like I could give a **** about anyone else's record.

The quote in my sig about me being right might be a little bit of e-peen though :p At least I wasn't the one who wrote it.

selone
20-04-2009, 00:45
Some deep questions asked there Starlight and ones that it is too late for me to answer at this time so I bid you good night :)

Nephilim of Sin
20-04-2009, 00:51
The two aren't related...especially since *not* having a W/L/D record in my Sig implies that I *have* accomplished things in my life that are more important...which would be true.

Which, no offense, I would not really expect you to have in a Wargames forum. I don't list my credentials here (meaning my sig), nor anything that I would have accomplished in life outside of the hobby, because I personally don't see how it would be relevant. Granted, I have a quote, but as I mentioned earlier, I also have a link to my P-log (plug, plug :D). I have also been very tempted to sig funny quotes I see on the site.

Now, I could just throw up some pics in the Warseer Gallery, or I could just put a link in my sig to my Photobucket account (both are fine IMO), much the same way that I can see someone putting a link in their sig to their Battle Reports, or else just being concise and putting in their W/L record. Both are achieving similar things in the vein of the hobby, and I don't really see how it has to correlate to age or accomplishments.

20-04-2009, 01:35
why the win loss record everyone likes to read fiction right?

some think it gives credibility to what they say

starlight
20-04-2009, 01:49
So...sort of like Post Count? :angel:

:p

TheDarkDuke
20-04-2009, 02:05
I don't post mine. Do I recall every game to post them if I wanted... no. I can tell you however that in Fantasy I probably have a 80-90% win rate, while in 40k Im a lackluster 10-20% win rate. Also I do not play any of the so called over powered armies in fantasy or so called under powered armies in 40k.

Some people just like to keep track, some people as already mentioned do it to track a series of games being played with a particular list. I have been in a 500 point tournament with like 12 different armies and you played everyone once in a round robin with seedings to determine "playoff" match ups. You kinda have to keep a W/L/T record for such a thing.

Also as for the vast vast majority of W/L/T records I have seen here on Warseer, they tend to only be records of less then 15 games, and are usually only kept on the sig, while that army is relatively new. Almost an advertisement and showing of learning curve to beat new armies, as these records disappear in time... hence a lack of .500 records or worse.

Darkspear
20-04-2009, 02:08
I used to wonder why people keep a W/L record. Although this is never resolved, it prompt me to do so with my Dark Elves with the new army book.

As I did not track my old dark elf records in warseer, I have to resort to compiling the data from my blog (and yes I have battle report for all games, it has become something like a textbook/manual of sorts and made me a better player). Lol i used to play warhammer quite often, sadly now its mainly 40k which reflects the low count for my new dark elves.

This thread has also prompt me to include my eldar performance in my sig. I am still in the learning stage, hopefully I will start to win soon.

dwarfhold13
20-04-2009, 03:04
i've always thought of these super win hardly any loss stats as a flexing of the ego, but since we are here.. i'm 27 and have a record with my dark elves of 2W-4D-6L.... hows that for pride! LOL

Kerill
20-04-2009, 03:38
Rank: I are Serious Cat! Chaplain: Astrum Lux Lucis starlight - it's for girls!

^ I guess different things strike different people as immature.

Added W/L/D to mine lately because of the battle report threads I've been doing, also because it's interesting to see how people are doing with newer books. Daemons 200/1/1 means nothing.

Finally I like to see other players' w/l/d record for armies I collect or like because we will tend to post on the same threads and I know roughly what their army list is and their views on different units and setups and their record gives me an idea of how well things are working for them.

starlight
20-04-2009, 04:05
Indeed. :)

Daemons 200/1/1 has *exactly* the same validity as WOC BatReps 8 (1) 2 or 7th Ed Lizards 6 (0) 1. Both are text on the Internet...having exactly the weight you give them. :)

Dark14
20-04-2009, 04:17
the more serious players go on sites like this thats why it is positive.

and for every good player you verse there are a good 5-6 that you just run over thats how the more involved players have good records. its the semi-involved or newer players that go 1-2-13 that make others look good.

And i shall take my shot now and say 40k "vets" playing fantasy also add a good look to any record.

Anvilbrow
20-04-2009, 05:56
I guess I have my answer. That is to say, no definitive answer.

I have no personal problem with sigs including w/l records, I am just very skeptical of their validity.

I can understand the point some made, which I hadn't considered: tracking their progress in a reliable location. When I was a kid (read: in my 20s) I kept a book of grudges with battle reports of every game I played with my Dwarfs, so in my own way I suppose I was doing the same thing as many of the posters here. Then life and responsibility happened and I was lucky to have time to play a game, time for writing a battle report is pure fantasy. It's the same reason I rarely paint anymore...

I rather like the idea of keeping track of events rather than records, I fall solidly in the Warhammer as a game crowd rather than the Warhammer as a competition crow. I cannot remember how many games I won in my first GT in 96 (might have been 97, hell I can't even remember the year), but I remember facing an all knight Bret army with my all Night Goblin army and its 15 fanatics. I also remember killing a demon prince in one shot with my Dwarf Lord in Seattle in 98? or 99? and the look on my opponent's face (I lost that game) and losing a 2000 point unit in one massive game to a skull chucker shot (damn panic). I could go on but I digress.

I live for the moments- life is about the journey, not the destination.

To each his (or her) own.

Enjoy the game!

soots
20-04-2009, 06:44
i play to win.

Granted I dont cheat, but I hope my opponent is trying just as hard so I get more of a sense of satisfaction/accomplishment.

If i wanted to roleplay id join a roleplay club or play another game. Warhammer to me is a strategic board game, though we do have a bit of a laugh when something in theme coincidentally happens (e.g goblin animosity during worst time). Yes I do have fun playing strategically,and im sure A LOT of other players have just as much fun when theyre playing chess or other mind perplexing challenges.

I dont show my record, and i find it quite strange that if we add up everyones wins/draws/losses we would end up within the vicinity of 90%wins/9%draw/%1 losses when mathematically its supposed to be 50/50.

I say let people play the way they want to, its a bloody expensive hobby and I think everyones earnt the right to play strategically or comically. (cheats can go home though :))

Staurikosaurus
20-04-2009, 07:46
I think people are being entirely pessimistic about records in signatures.

I started mine when ppl were complaining that the new Lizards were underpowered etc. I was arguing the opposite. As a result, I started recording my games (about 1-2 a week) to see what the record actually was, at least when I am playing against my opponents. As well, it let's me keep track of how I might do in local tournaments and which armies I need to practice against. As the results swing back and forth, it lets me keep track long term as to what specific list changes help and hinder my record. For the most part, I play for fun - I do play to win but a close game is always better than a steamroll (especially for my Word Bearers, who seem to get steamrolled alot - damn Nob bikers). Regardless of the result however, I record every game.

In terms of what other people think of my signature; believe it, don't believe it, that's entirely up to you.

TheGreatWhiteRat
20-04-2009, 09:02
I have no problem with win/loss records being posted but I'm trying to figure out where all those people are. I play down at the shop and in tournaments and at clubs and I have found I can't predict the people that I have trouble with. In my many years of playing I've never met anyone who so consistently won. I've met a few people who claim to or had 'reputations' at a RT and at open game night and by the end of the match I didn't share their opinion.

I'm also thinking it would be difficult to find opponents to play games if you win too much. Who wants to play you over and over again if beat them 90% of the time?

Nicha11
20-04-2009, 09:40
Can i get a W0lf won this thread?

^^

Sigh- "Wolf Won This Thread"

But not really

Briohmar
20-04-2009, 10:13
OK, I'll take my shot at this. I post my W-L-D record because I do batreps. If you look, first off, its only for 2009, and I'll reset it in 2010. Second, I do play Daemons, but I have losses with my Daemons, which either indicates I suck as a player, or that I actually play Daemons because I like them, and take units which I put together because of their aesthetic. I play Warriors because I have played Warriors for a long time, and though I don't play them as much as I'd like, I do enjoy playing them, and again, the losses indicate that I am not a WAAC player. Finally, I am 41 years old. You don't have to believe that I am that old if you don't want to, saying it does nothing for my ego, cause, let's face it: I'm old! If you read my Batreps, you'll see that I treat my losses with as much respect as I treat my wins, and that I frequently comment that draws and minor victories/defeats as games are a lot more fun than massacres. My record is just for me to keep track. Nothing more.

Crymson
20-04-2009, 10:21
Bragging rights over my friends, really. You'll see in mine I have won more games of Warhammer than I have lost, LotR is evenish, and I suck at Blood Bowl. But my friends love trying to get my record worse, and it just adds some fun to our games.

Whitehorn
20-04-2009, 10:28
Just one of those daft ideas that some people have. Context, or do we just have to guess?

I don't really care, sigs should be for quoting wit!

W0lf
20-04-2009, 10:33
I agree on sigs=quotes.

MY vamps record will hardly stay as someone will post something my sig cant be without at some point :P

IcedCrow
20-04-2009, 12:51
But one thing you will notice is very rarely... if EVER... will you see someone post a losing record.

Everyone on the internet is a winner.

Fenrir
20-04-2009, 13:42
I do play Daemons, but I have losses with my Daemons, which either indicates I suck as a player, or that I actually play Daemons because I like them, and take units which I put together because of their aesthetic

Nobody plays daemons for the background. Only people that want to make others cry and vent spleen on the web play daemons. Thats right - all of them, regardless of how long they've used the army, what they've chosen or what sort of person they are.

Briohmar
20-04-2009, 13:57
Very funny Fenrir. I'm just one of the Soul-Surfer Warhammer players I guess.

Commodus Leitdorf
20-04-2009, 14:29
Posting your record is just something to place in your sig, thats the beginning, middle and end of it. It's no more about ego stroking then someone placing quotes someone else wrote about them on the forum in their sig. "I'm so funny and knowledgeable! look at the comments other people make about my awesomeness."

and I hardly have a winning record....damn new army books are forcing me to make a new, harder Empire army!

Zee
20-04-2009, 14:54
I think it god so you can keep track of your wins

-----------------------------------------------

W/L/D
Deamons 91 / 0 / 0
Vampire Counts 24 / 0/ 0
Bretts 23 / 0 / 2

Malorian
20-04-2009, 16:52
It really goes hand in hand with making battle reports but only if you make a report for each one.

For me I find keeping my records helps me learn and pushes me to do better.

I keep track not just my record, but my record against each army, so I can go back and say "wow my X does very poorly against Y... I better spend more time thinking about anti-Y tactics...".

As far as posting them on warseer this mainly goes back to my battle reports. People would ask what my records are so for some I started adding it.

It's not part of my sig though. I just can't be bothered to keep updating them and i'd rather use the space for a quote and draw people into the arena of death. I do find looking at other people's records helpful though. If I see someone with a really good record I my ask them for their list and work out some new tactics, and if I see someone with a bad record I might send them a PM offering help.

I'm sure there are some records out there though that are complete lies.

IcedCrow
20-04-2009, 17:01
I have compiled a list of my games (i have a battle rep for everyone or notes in a directory and excel spreadsheet)

Here goes!

Undead (5th edition) 4-2-0
Vampire Counts (5th edition) 21-15-2
Chaos (5th edition) 10-12-1
Empire (6th edition) 45-48-12
Hordes of Chaos (6th edition) 57-41-18
Vampire Counts (6th edition) 29-7-1
Beasts of Chaos (6th edition) 8-21-4
Dark Elves (6th edition) 5-20-9
Tomb Kings (6th edition) 41-7-8
Skaven (6th edition) 2-0-0
Hordes of Chaos (7th edition) 0-5-0

40k Record
Dark Angels Space Marines (3rd edition) - 98-24-31
Dark Angels Space Marines (4th edition) - 45-39-4
Chaos Space Marines (3rd edition) - 55-51-12
Chaos Space Marines (4th edition) - 29-8-3
Necrons (4th edition) - 42-5-19
Imperial Guard (4th edition) 9-31-10

Haven't played 7th edition except a few games vs wood elvse with my chaos and haven't played a game of 5th edition 40k yet. Been out of the hobby a couple years due to tournament and waac burn out.

Campaign starts in May. Will be breaking out my empire army and putting battle reports on YOUTUBE.

What do my w/l indicate? That I'm a completely average player that knows how to WAAC at tournaments but likes to put "weak" units in my army to make a weakness and test my ability as well as my dice rolling. Some of my best games that i remember fondly were losses though I also have a wall with about a dozen trophies and plaques from winning leagues/tournaments from the earlier days when I learned that overpowering an army list was about as easy as 1-2-3.

Johnnyfrej
20-04-2009, 17:02
I don't so much care if people post "their" W/L/D record (though I don't give two s%$ts about what anyone claims on the Internet). What I do find annoying are the people that have the 5-7 lines of Signature. I find it a real eyesore.

Crazydu
20-04-2009, 19:00
Some people just like to do it - what's wrong with it? Next thing there will be a thread complaining about people's names :rolleyes:

Tbh I personally don't really pay any attention to them, I'm more interested in what people say :D

Warhammer is a game that involves a lot of numbers (points for army sizes, numbers for different unit stats etc.), so it's not really surprising that a lot of people who play also like to record numbers of games they win and lose. I would say it's a personal thing for each person, so just go enjoy playing and stop worrying too much about what everyone else is doing :D

W0lf
20-04-2009, 20:35
Is it weird i read peoples 20/0/0 vamp records and think 'bs' yet im aiming to go for 25 games unbeaten with my own ^^

tbh im going GT this year with the list im using now (and wont change). Id say where i come in GT is more important then my win/loss record in my Gaming group.

Desert Rain
20-04-2009, 21:09
Well, because I'm so filled with awesomeness I feel that it's my duty to the world to make everyone else recognise my greatness!

Seriously though I like to keep a record on how I'm doing with my armies. If it turns out to be good then what's wrong with that?
And as I've just started out with Wh40k I don't expect to win with my Tau for many months, but I will change my sig to reflect the results even if it's only losses.

zak
20-04-2009, 21:50
I'm far too embarassed to post my results!! Hence blank sig!!!

soots
20-04-2009, 22:10
Nobody plays daemons for the background. Only people that want to make others cry and vent spleen on the web play daemons. Thats right - all of them, regardless of how long they've used the army, what they've chosen or what sort of person they are.

I wanted to play daemons before they armybook was released. I just didnt want to paint a lot of models!

But im going to be avoiding uber armies because in my areas you cant win with the handicap system and you get shot down ontop of that!