PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians or Orcs!

CommissarSean
20-04-2009, 13:45
I have been a Warhammer player for a long time, and i have a few armies for the two real games of games-workshop (LOTR is not really a game)

I already have a High Elf and a Wood Elf army however i wanted to do something comp different, Orcs or Bretonnians.
I was looking for some seasoned vets of both armies to tell me the pros and Cons of each to help me pick :D
Thanks

Ixquic
20-04-2009, 13:50
Don't do orcs unless you really don't mind losing for reasons way out of your control on a regular basis. It's a very frustrating army without a lot of real payoff so only do it if you like the models a whole bunch. The "wow this army sure is random!" theme has been made much more negative and even stuff that's supposed to be positive can easily screw you (Waaghing units have to go towards the closest thing they can see which may not be what you want, spells cause your own Warmachines to not fire for two turns, etc). If you want to do something different go Empire since you can make tons of different styles of lists and it doesn't require you to buy a horribly designed book.

Personally I think the Bretonnian book is very boring but the army is solid. If you like painting knights it's the way to go.

Ultimate Life Form
20-04-2009, 14:08
Not really a seasoned veteran, and I play neither, but I play a lot against Orcs.

Ixquic is right, the randomness is the Orcsī biggest flaw, and their animosity made my day more than once. However, what they do really well, they outnumber stuff by great lengths. I play Lizardmen, an elite army, and Orcs usually do have 50% more units than I do. The thing is, neither of these is in any way important. While my stuff is crucial to me, every unit is badly needed and every loss another step towards my doom, you can bash Orcs as much as you want, it wonīt matter. Kill one or two cheap blocks; Theyīll still have a unit of Wolf Riders or Orcs left to flank you and finish you off. Itīs quite annoying at times, like fighting against a swarm of flies or something.

Ixquic
20-04-2009, 14:22
One of the problems with 7th edition in my opinion is that it doesn't really matter how many infantry blocks you have if they all suck. If you play a super elite army with one crazy unit jammed with characters, you can just re-enact 300 and make a choke point so that 50% of the orc army can't get into combat and the units are just whittled through. Hitting the front of a Black Guard, Phoenix Guard, Graveguard or demon unit with boyz and then flanking with anything will still result in the orcs losing since they lack cool abilities like rerolling hits, stubborn, ward saves, immune to psychology, etc. You'll still be only attacking with 5 models regardless of how many guys you brought so why bother with crappy ones? Flanking blocked infantry with goblins is also incredibly difficult if you are up against one of the 3 elven armies or any of the 4+ armies that cause army wide fear since they just don't have the leadership to make it in unless they are being babysat by the general.

Sure you can play keep away from the super unit, but even then elite armies will be able to out maneuver a huge horde that's packed into one side of the board and will probably be able to work out a minor victory regardless.

Shiodome
20-04-2009, 17:26
haha exactly the choice i gave myself when i got back into WHFB. I settled on Brettonians because i love the look of them (even the peasants, or especially the peasants). I bought a couple of models and a week later i bought an O&G army. :P

I realised once i started painting brettonions i'd never get an army finished, i spent nearly a week (not solid, just when i had spare time) painting just one horse. The Horse (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/horse001.jpg) I decided to put the brett's to one side and keep them as a slow burning painting project.

You can get satisfying chunks of goblins done in no time and for me i enjoy painting goblins more. So for the foreseeable future it's greenskins for me. My point being, pick the army you think you've a chance to finish painting.

Ixquic
20-04-2009, 17:53
haha exactly the choice i gave myself when i got back into WHFB. I settled on Brettonians because i love the look of them (even the peasants, or especially the peasants). I bought a couple of models and a week later i bought an O&G army. :P

I realised once i started painting brettonions i'd never get an army finished, i spent nearly a week (not solid, just when i had spare time) painting just one horse. The Horse (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/r3c/horse001.jpg) I decided to put the brett's to one side and keep them as a slow burning painting project.

You can get satisfying chunks of goblins done in no time and for me i enjoy painting goblins more. So for the foreseeable future it's greenskins for me. My point being, pick the army you think you've a chance to finish painting.

Yeah if you're going to paint like THAT I'm sure it would takes ages to do and would never be done. I got burned out doing all the horses in my bret army and they only looked half as good as yours.

badgeraddict
20-04-2009, 17:57
I loved painting Bretonnian knights! Whilst none of mine are as detailed as Shiodome's example, they look good enough to get noticed at the local GW. It makes me proud when random individuals come and have a peak at my Brets whilst I'm gaming, however badly I may be doing!

Painting Bretonnian figures is always kept fresh because of the creativity involved in divising a colour scheme etc. IMO

Malorian
20-04-2009, 17:58
I play both and I think you should do orcs.

People my complain about orcs but brets have a HUGE problem against the new deamons and I'd much rather have my orcs against them.

Also it would be a good change from armies where you have complete control (which is what you are looking for.).

Edit: Oh, just for the record, I HATE painting bret knights. I swear the barding on the horse was specifically designed to **** off painters trying to paint the under side of the horse after the base is glued on...

Dungeon_Lawyer
20-04-2009, 18:05
orcs all the way-but with an emphasis on the goblins: my vision is an almost entirely mounted fast cav spider rider army led by a black orc on wyverm+ giants and war machines. Im really confident that this build is going to give my opponites some serious fits.

Emeraldw
20-04-2009, 18:10
In terms of playing with or against, I think orcs make for a more interesting game and a more flexible army in general.

bigunns
20-04-2009, 18:21
In terms of playing with or against, I think orcs make for a more interesting game and a more flexible army in general.

I agree and if u like an army enough you can make it work.... im a newb and i can already devise ways to out manouver other armies... your magic is pretty unique... and becuse your units are expendable if u lose 1 it doesnt matter terribly which works tossin off foot of gork or mork wants ya

Crazydu
20-04-2009, 18:43
Go go Orcs! As already said they make the best contrast to what you have already :D A mass of green at the start of a battle is always good to watch :D

Ultimate Life Form
20-04-2009, 18:52
Oh well, even though I hate Bretonnians, I feel sorry for them. Isnīt there a single soul to say something in their defense?

Well, at least that makes the decision easier. Itīs official, then! You are hereby ordered to do Orcs!

badgeraddict
20-04-2009, 19:17
Bretonnians are amazing!

Whats not to like about them? They have flying nags for crying out loud! FLYING NAGS! :)

Shiodome
20-04-2009, 19:46
have to admit the list for bretts is a bit dispiriting. it's just several almost identical units, and then some underwhelming guys on foot... the army book really fails to live up to the potential for background the bretonnians could have too. it's an army you've definitely got to invest your own imagination into to get much out of them.

selone
20-04-2009, 20:22
I play orc's but I'm no "orks is da best cos they're green" ork larp'er then you can get. Orks definetely have disadvantages that other armies don't have and they're a fairly average list.
Still I'd recommend orcs over brettonian's, theres a lot of variety in an orc army that the brettonians don't get whether it be unit's or character's. Brettonian's are a lot of similarly equiped and stat wise knights supported by peasent bowmen. Their book is a bit of a disapointment if I'm honest.

Thats not to say they're not competitive however and they can certainly steam roller traditional armies (those that can break off a lance). Their problem however is with unbreakable/very hard to break unit's of which we see more and more these days. I would indeed rather use orcs than Brett's versus demons. Brettonians are really good against traditional armies and really bad against unded, demon and stubborn armies.

They just don't seem fun to play with knowing you'll do very well against certain armies and very bad against others as your lances of KotR thunder on.

Ixquic
20-04-2009, 20:30
have to admit the list for bretts is a bit dispiriting. it's just several almost identical units, and then some underwhelming guys on foot... the army book really fails to live up to the potential for background the bretonnians could have too. it's an army you've definitely got to invest your own imagination into to get much out of them.

This is exactly my problem with the list. It seems like such a waste. Even the heroes are pretty bland when that's supposed to be one of the defining aspects of the army.

Ertle
20-04-2009, 21:31
Now for orcs do you mean just orcs, just goblins or a little of both. Thats one of the better things about the army you have an insane amount of variety. But yeah I'd go orcs and gobbos because if you feel like it you can go cav heavy or masses of troops with bretts its pretty much just cavalry.(I think haven't played against them in forever.)

Another thing. You can get the battle for skull pass set and just sell the stuff you dont need. If you're going goblins then I recommend two but if you want orcs then get a battlion box and you have a decent army to start.

Daleran
20-04-2009, 22:05
I have to agree with everyone so far...you won't enjoy bretts unless you have a serious hard-on for knights (which I do) The list is boring, the troop choices are limited, and the magic only outshines dwarves. The list is still decently competetive, but making an effort to play a more varied interesting list generally brings that down.

Dark14
20-04-2009, 22:22
if you play brets its an army of knights....no one should be on foot in a good list. If you like knights though play them when they are updated i am sure it will be done well...plus it cant be to long till they are.

Woodsman
20-04-2009, 22:23
Yeah! I loved my Bretts and am tempted to take them up again, but it really was highly fluff driven and they do need to really look at widening the list to encourage some different builds. that said an all peasant army can look great and is a real challenge (you have min 1 unit of KotR). Have a look at awilla the huns battle reports.

In general I'd say chack out the battle reports, as you get a feel for playstyle/typical armies and such like.

Woody.