PDA

View Full Version : Where to go with the Wolves?

genestealer_baldric
20-04-2009, 14:22
With The wolves being set lose around september ive decided to start the only marine army that intrests me Space Wolves, before the next price rise. I will be using the old codex for the next few months, which i thinks still legal before the new one is out.

i currentley have the contents of 2 AOBR boxes:
2 dreadnoughts
10 terminators
20 tac marines
1 commanders (gave the other to a freind when i didnt plan on using them)

in SW models i have picked up 40 blood claws 20 grey hunters

Now the question is where to go next? iam planning on a cc based wolf army but for Heavy i wanted long fangs but with a unit size of 4 as opposed to 9 in marine codex they seem a waste of a heavy slot. I like tanks but, i the all foot based marine army and chargeing across the board to get into combat seem more fluffy

any ideas greatley appreciated :).

clanfield
20-04-2009, 15:12
id wait and see it wouldnt be the first time the wolves codex has been rumored to come out

genestealer_baldric
20-04-2009, 15:17
call me guilable, but a local gw employee has just said something about septemeber which is about right for space marines stage 2 realise, so i will use that as a genral guidline.

i think for hq i will have ragnar and bjorn quite possibly 2 of the koolest chacters in sm fluff

fast attack is gona have to be landspeeder (we all know how much dogs love sticking the heads oout of car windows)

heavy and ellites still have me stumped though

Chem-Dog
20-04-2009, 15:43
Until the Codex is released it's really hard to say what to pick, obviously the three Pack types will be in there (Blood Claw/Grey Hunter/Long Fangs).

If Price Hikes are your biggest concern I would say go for Tanks- Rhinos, Razorbacks, Preds, Vindis and, of course, Land Raiders.
Keep a majority NiB and then quietly wait until the Wolves rumours come in and start making decisions. At best you have a large amount of tanks to add to your army, at worst you trade the NiB ones back to GW (at the new increased price) in exchange for more suitable (probably also spangly and new) SW specific releases.

Other than that, if it's not too late keep your SW kits unmade, plop a few Choice accessories onto the AoBR marines (Wolf Tails and Knives mainly) just to make them look less "Codex" and start painting them up as Grey Hunters, this will give you A: Something to do towards the army B: Some time to perfect how you want your Wolves to look and C: Gets the relatively boring Core section out of the way before the feeding frenzy of the Codex run-up/Release.

Boss Kopstud
20-04-2009, 18:13
Rhinos, Razorbacks and Land Raiders. One of my fave tactics with the (current) Wolves is Ragnar (you said you were going to use him, right?) in a LR with 10 Grey Hunters tooled up for HtH (either flamer or Meltagun, 2 plasma pistols and 2 power weapons/fists) and a Wolf Gurad Champ, all with +2A on the charge because of Ragnar's Berserk Charge rule. Good fun. And I LOL'ed when I read "what dog doesn't like to stick his head out the car window"!

Chem-Dog
20-04-2009, 18:16
A devestator box or three might be advisable, give you the full flexibility of options for the LF's

Astraeos
20-04-2009, 18:22
I'm planning to do wolves myself, I already have ten grey hunters, the classic captain model (you can get him on the site, but I got mine years ago when my cousin gave me a box of old models, it also had the classic DA commander!) and a box of Blood claws ordered.
I'm planning to assemble them with just their basic equipment, well the leaders will probably have power weapons and I may add a melta gun to the hunters.

This way I'm also saving some bits for when the book comes out, so I'll have some options.

Vehicles wise I'm just planning on getting a drop pod for the time being. It's a weird looking vehicle and I'd like to take a shot at assembling one.
I may add an Annihilator too, I'm pretty sure that fluff wise it was the wolves who were the first to use it.

Narf
20-04-2009, 19:07
long fangs are good, though the small unit size hinders them, but being able to (for the time being) split fire really helps.

With the modelling side of things at this time i'd say stick the power fists on the blood claws, gives them 3 attacks on the charge/counter charge - but dont know what this will change to properly with the new codex.

Grey hunters, dont take plasma pistols, just two power weapons, and a melta gun, stick them in a razor back and go tank hunting.

You dont really need to take anti tank with wolves as they have alot of combat stuff to take out vehicles, though it can be useful to have a dakka pred for anti horde.

best advice is that wolves dont play like "codex" marines, you cant sit back with wolves, you need to attack the enemy, and get in close, remember that atm you need more characters in your army than normal marines (1 HQ at each 750pts or part thereof) and make the most of the wolves ven dread.

Go with large squads of blood claws lead by generic character, preferably with rune priest to give them cover.

Buy wolf guard in power armour an chuck them a cheap storm shield and a power weapon.

also remember that points wise wolves cost more as you need to buy grenades for most of them atm to

Laser guided fanatic
20-04-2009, 20:10
Is strybjorn even in the current codex?

genestealer_baldric
20-04-2009, 21:49
er no hes not in this one but probally in the next one, i do love the fact that there can be 2 powerfists a melta gun and melta grenades in a 10 man squad. will mince infantry and can quite happily chase a landradier round the table:)

would demolishers of whirlwinds fit the theme of a mass assulat of blood claws with bombardment in fluff or do SW prefere diffrent tatic styles.

ShaiAhlude
21-04-2009, 00:02
Space Wolves do NOT follow the "Codex" as set down by the Ultrasmurfs. Thier style of fighting is: Win. Period.

By all means, go for the Whirlwinds (Pie Plate of Pain) & Demolishers (Pie Plate of Death). If you've never used guess weapons before, be sure to read up on thier rules before using them. (If you have used them before, fine, I'll shut up now :D).

The LR Exterminator is great for anti-horde, though its cost is a little on the steep side. Nice, unique vehicle for the SW, I've loved this choice ever since it became available. Hopefully the new codex will keep it, or I'm gonna be steamed....

victorpofa
21-04-2009, 01:05
I would stock up on Drop Pods or transports for all that infantry. Foot sloggers don't easily make it into assault on big tables so Rhinos are your friend. Also remember that Grey Hunters are the majority in a Space Wolf force. If we are lucky they will have the same wargear as Chaos Marines so they can shoot with their bolters, or assault with pistol and chainsword since they first gave True Grit to everyone, then removed it from the rules. If this happens it will make Grey Hunters far more versatile, if less choppy than Blood Claws. The Predator Annihilator is credited to the Space Wolves so they are always fluffy, if overpriced.

As much as it pains me the Exterminator is likely to be removed from the new codex. I would not get one unless we get confirmation that it remains for our use.

genestealer_baldric
21-04-2009, 07:48
i also think that the exterminator will go in the new codex but we will get bjorn back instead so not all bad.

i was thinking of getting drop dops but the ones from forgeworld with the missle and autocannon in and it will also create a mobile screaning wall for my advancing claws, then drop in drop pods with dreadnoughts for even more up close killing

no i havent used guess range weaponary yet but after a few years of gaming i hope i can have fairly acurate guesses :)

LordofWar1986
21-04-2009, 07:51
To the OP: Take your space puppies, grab some food and water, and stick them in a kennel!

jk, I had to say it :p :D

Drakon
21-04-2009, 07:58
yip i would have to say stock up on drop pods or even some LR to get your boys their faster.

I usually run
30 GH
10 BC
2 Characters with bodygaurds
1 LR
3 drop pods
2 dreads (1 ven)

in a 2000pt army which seems to do alright.

For now im waiting on teh new codex to see what happens with the gh, hoping that they get the kit like CSM.

Long fangs are good but i dont tend to use them unless im playing apoc. Just doesnt seem wolfy to me sitting back and firing i like to get them into the thick of things as fast as poss

genestealer_baldric
21-04-2009, 08:01
ooo fighting talk

and btw its called a den not a kennel ;)

Yeah i think i will use drop dods rather than rinos it seems more wolfy but a landraider with ragnar +bodyguard seems a good idea. is it legal to use the drop pods with autocannons and missle launchers in a normal game?

shin'keiro
21-04-2009, 09:58
I understand there are new minis to go with the release, with a command squad that has extras in it like that of the DA one.

Boss Kopstud
21-04-2009, 12:57
a landraider with ragnar +bodyguard seems a good idea. is it legal to use the drop pods with autocannons and missle launchers in a normal game?

I assume by "bodyguard" above you mean Wolf Guard bodyguard. If not ignore the next few sentences. I stick by Ragnar, Wolf Guard Champ and 10 Grey Hunters in a Land Raider. Wolf Guard are super awesome in that you can really kit them out to the teeth (bad pun, I know), but the points you pay... Too many points per model before you even get to any weapons. 10 Grey hunters with BP/CCW have 20 attacks, plus Ragnar's charge bonus (i.e. another 20), but you only get about 6 Wolf Guard with BP/CCW for the roughly the same points. Attacks-wise thats 18 plus 12, for 30 total. 4 more models for about the same points and 10 more attacks on the charge....
As to the Assault Cannon/missile launcher drop dops, they're Forge World rules, so I'd guess opponent's permission??

LordofWar1986
21-04-2009, 21:37
[QUOTE]ooo fighting talk and btw its called a den not a kennel ;) [QUOTE]

Actually I meant to actually say kennel, den sounds a bit odd.....:)

W0lf
21-04-2009, 21:52
Actually I meant to actually say kennel, den sounds a bit odd.....

Not half as odd as using the word actually twice in one sentence.

Heimlich
21-04-2009, 21:58
i also think that the exterminator will go in the new codex but we will get bjorn back instead so not all bad.

huh? this doesn't make sense to me.

Murrithius
22-04-2009, 00:07
Allow me to translate:

"I also think that the Leman Russ Exterminator will disappear in the new codex, but we will get Bjorn the Fell Handed back instead, so not all bad".

Bless 'im!

genestealer_baldric
22-04-2009, 08:02
Yeah sorry for my poor grammer,

Yeah like Murrithius said, but ah no dont bless me it burns when that happens.

Hopefully after talking to people like Murrithius, a Forgeworld Venrable dreadnought may also be realised or maybe even bjorn which would be great.

I think for my heavy slots now i will use 2x predator annilators(sp) 1 landraider with ragnar and bodyguard in.

despite my reluctance on using rhinos iam slowly comming around to the need of them to get into CC as quick as possible.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
22-04-2009, 10:59
the LR Crusader is really worth its weight in glod to the wolves, 15 BC and a rune priest being delivered into the enemy is a sight to behold, ven dreads are a brilliant HQ choice and wolf scouts (i pray they survive the codex) are nearly a must.

long fangs are not essential, but transports are.

don't bother with ragnar for smallish forces, a WL on a bike with WG bikers including a great company standard will do a better job.

my favourite tactic is to take my wolf lord on a bike with wolf guard also on bikes, turbo boost and the extra point of toughness means this really hurty unit should get into combat just as the BCs are arriving and you have a whole lot of pain for your enemy to deal with.

throw a great company standard into the WG unit and it just gets messy.

give the RP a 'chooser of the slain' and half the time you won't even have to worry about enemy infiltrators.

twin linked las for the ven dread and a melta + meltabombs for the WS with meltabombs/power fists in the WG bikers and you have plenty of anti tank, bolters on GH squads and the bikes twin linked bolters alongside the crusader gives you a good shot versus hordes, with the punch of the BCs and WL + WG bikes you have a very versatile force which should come in around two thousand points.

good luck and happy hunting.

ShaiAhlude
26-04-2009, 02:06
no i havent used guess range weaponary yet but after a few years of gaming i hope i can have fairly acurate guesses :)

True, but I'd like to add that there's a "gentlemen's rule" that guess weapons fire first. I just skimmed the rulebook, and I could'nt find anywhere that stated guess weapons HAD to fire first, but it's extremely shady to use a nearby squad to determine range to a juicy target, then use that distance when "guessing" with a whirlwind/vindicator/whatever.

Especially when said nearby squad changed targets, meaning the only reason he measured range was for his guess weapon. :mad:

Estimating guess weapon does come easier with practice. I know guys who just glance at the tabletop, say "32.5 inches" then measure and the marker hole is dead center.