PDA

View Full Version : Captain Cato Sicarius

kamedake88
20-04-2009, 19:40
What are peoples thought's on him. I was just reading his stat line in the codex and I just realized he is a beast. Is he the best all around special character in the codex or am I fooling myself. discuss

dookie
20-04-2009, 20:12
OOOOOOOh, me first!

Beast should be his other middle name. What he does for your army is amazing, the squad upgrades give you a dirty vet squad. His stats scream power points and his special sword rule makes a mockery out of most other chracters.

And whats the chance of re-rolling your seize the iniative and scoring a 6? thats right, every time.

RustyKnight
20-04-2009, 20:21
He's nice. He has his role, but I don't think I would say he's the best. I think that for points cost-to-effectiveness, Chaplain What's-His-Name wins.

boogle
20-04-2009, 20:25
He's nice. He has his role, but I don't think I would say he's the best. I think that for points cost-to-effectiveness, Chaplain What's-His-Name wins.

Grimaldus?
Lemartes?
Cassius?

Grazzy
20-04-2009, 20:57
The skills are great and you can have some fun with them from outflanking to tank hunters with a lascannon combat squad and a melta combat squad.

RustyKnight
20-04-2009, 21:01
Cassius! That's the one. I have heard that Lemartes has some nice bonuses for not many more points than a regular flying chappy.

Fire Harte
20-04-2009, 21:17
He's truly a menace, but He'estaan or whatever he's called wins over. Not in looks though, he's a chip off the old papa.

Sanctjud
20-04-2009, 21:31
Well, he's a decent character. In general he fits in best in a infantry heavy list.

Rites of Battle is nice, not replacing combat tactics.
His offensive power is ok, in most cases the stuff you need to instant kill will be immune to it.
His defensive qualities are good for saving 1-2 marines along the way.

RR sieze is...IMO not that great. Generally you want to go second, if you play the mission instead of just a meatgrinder.

His cost is still pretty highish.

The vet skills are cool, but you are most likely going to pick scout/infiltrate or tank hunters anyway.
Scouts is cool, but IMO is just a parlor trick, not something great, but it's nice to have to create a strong flank (assuming pods and infiltating scouts.)

Tank hunters seems fine with a las/plas squad but is expensive for it, or a pod squad with melta and combi-meltas... they can do their job, but will most likely die mroe likeer than another joe squad.

Siccy will need transport, and it will most likely be a pod or LR, combat squadded SM in a razorback is kinda meh.

I remember reading some sort of limitiation on teh vet power coupled with combat squads....but don't remember those details.

My 7 Cents.

Obliterati
20-04-2009, 22:52
A Marine Captain with Artificer, Relic Blade and Storm Shield has basically the exact same stat line and costs about 40-50 pts less (don't have my codex with me)

So, for 40-50 points you get:

-FNP (good)
-an extra chance to sieze the initiative (ho hum)
-vet skills for one tac squad (nice)
-+1 Ld for Marines who rarely need to worry about leadership anyway (ehh)
-a plasma pistol (yawn)
-and an all-or-nothing instant death strike in a game where everybody interesting is immune to instant death (...)

Is that worth it? In certain circumstances I would say yes, Sicarius is definately a kicker of the azz. But most of the games I've played with him, I've wished I had taken Vulkan, Lysander or Cassius instead.

kamedake88
20-04-2009, 23:24
Just a note on the instant death thing. Most of my club does not use special characters because either they don't know htf to use them or they don't feel like paying 12 bucks for a single mini. Most use normal HQ's. I take the stance that GW has designed 5th edition to make use of special characters and their minor counterparts like Telion and Chronus.

and on a side note, one plasma pistol shot can kill some super heavies. ( I killed a gorgon a few weeks ago with a shot on the rear armor of a gorgon.)

ehlijen
21-04-2009, 05:59
Sicarius sure is nice, but you do pay for everything he does. I'd say he's one of the most accurately costed characters in the book.

Rites of battle is nice as it reduces the biggest drawback of combat squadding (ie leaving half the unit at ld 8) and doesn't even replace combat tactics.

His gear is jack of all trades, yes, but that's to reinforce his image as 'the tactical special character'. He is the ultramarine posterboy and as such should sport some of the most traditional codex leader weapons (power sword and plasma pistol). Also, every special character has a few inbuilt weaknesses in his gear loadout, to keep custom build characters as a valid alternative.
Ie:
- Lysander boasts no shooting attack hiumself but boosts devestator squads
- Shrike is the most aggresively used, but boosts no extra protection gear despite his high cost
- Cassius is a mean combat maching but requires a limo to bring him there
- Kantor boosts units in combat but weak in combat himself considering his cost
etc
- Sicarius is the most flexibile at the cost of being the least devestating in any one area

skippy101
25-04-2009, 16:27
giv it up u all no lysander is the best

Sanctjud
25-04-2009, 16:37
Not really skippy101, and it's "know" not 'no'.

There is no 'best' character, there are only characters that fit YOUR playstyle.

My 7 Cents.

mughi3
26-04-2009, 10:01
In combination with the right characters he can fill an important role.

combined with cantor you get a LD 10 space marine army that can never have it's LD modified. very handy!

Caprosmaster
26-04-2009, 10:48
i like Cato, i find him to a be a bigger , better captain, and quiet cheap for what you get to, for me the vet skill is the biggest selling point, helps with ny anti-tank or such like.

Caprosmaster

Aurellis
26-04-2009, 11:09
I hate it that all SM players in my area take special characters like these in Vanilla or named Codex chapters that don't match. It just doesn't make sense why they would dishonour their chapter by inviting an Ultramarine along.

Gutted
26-04-2009, 12:57
I hate it that all SM players in my area take special characters like these in Vanilla or named Codex chapters that don't match. It just doesn't make sense why they would dishonour their chapter by inviting an Ultramarine along.

The characters are deisgned to be exemplars so you can mix and match chapter and character too your tastes. The codex is designed with this mind.

Spider-pope
26-04-2009, 13:16

Haven't you heard? Every Space Marine chapter secretly longs to be Ultramarines, so by having Sicarius tag along they get to live that dream, if only for a few hours.

Gutlord Grom
26-04-2009, 14:18
(sigh)
That's the new thing about characters. You can take any character regardless of actual affiliation in the background. It's why a Catachan army can use Creed or Al'Rahem.

mughi3
27-04-2009, 01:40
(sigh)
That's the new thing about characters. You can take any character regardless of actual affiliation in the background. It's why a Catachan army can use Creed or Al'Rahem.
Remember they use those rules, but you can name them and paint them any way you like. so sicarius can be an imperial fist named bobba fett.
:p

Welcome to the new GW position on special characters. they may not be overpowered super killing units themselves but they do unlock army builds.

People complained aout the trait system being abused....so they fixed it and made it very rigid, and special character reliant.

Felwether
27-04-2009, 01:50
He may be a beast but he's also possibly the worst SM sculpt ever...

Awful static pose with a screwy face. Nuff said.

FashaTheDog
27-04-2009, 02:01
As I do not run Ultramarines and feel that for me the only acceptable special character is Command Culln (guess my Chapter), I do not use Captain Kate. I do never hold my opponents to my distain of "these special characters are templates that all Codex Chapters have" line GW placed in Codex Smurf-love but I avoid them unless I play that Chapter. There is a fellow at my local club who does use him and he does seem to alternate between being a star or a liability, depending on who he fights. I did play against a different Marine army with him using my Dark Eldar and he died as easily as the rest of them.