PDA

View Full Version : scratch built models

SirSnipes
21-04-2009, 01:16
me and my friend plan on going up to GW soon, and my ork army has many scratch built models to fit my them, all made from plasticard and GW bits

is GW gonna let me play

i have a battlewagon thats been built from scratch to resemble a gunship plane
a helikopter trukk converted from a trukk
a ork UFO(trukk) made from scratch
and a ork skimmer made form bits and plasticard(trukk)
and a rocket deely made fromf ork bits and plasticard) (trukk)
and a dreadnought that is a large wheal with a holed up center with 2DCCW coming out the sides

and my nob bikers are riding scratch built hoverboards(railguns with jets on em)

will they let me play with all this plasticard?

chromedog
21-04-2009, 01:32
Depends on the store.
Some are well reknowned as "not in my store".

Toss a coin. Heads or tails will probably be the same result.

captainramoz
21-04-2009, 01:38
Preety much yeah
In fact gw encourages scratch built

LordofWar1986
21-04-2009, 01:41
I would think so.

Not every ork is going to look exactly the same, no matter what GW says ;)

techman
21-04-2009, 03:59
Depends on the store....they cry to tell you to scratch build...then cry when you do. Half of the people in the store are just people on GW crack that thing if it doesnt look like the box its wrong.

I hear some funny stories from my dad as he walks into the store and have some kid half his age try to tell him how the game is....he just tells them I've been playing since before you were born...I guess that makes em shut up:D

No offense meant to GW stores....but GW stores get a lot of bad rep from what I hear.

JustTony
21-04-2009, 05:22
Find a good Local Game Store. I have RARELY seen one that has the kind of issues I hear about from patrons of the "official" GW stores, but then the closest GW store to me is in Chicago, 400 miles away. So, for me the whole "GW model" thing isn't much of an issue. I do, however, have enough GW and Forge World stuff laying around the house to have brought a Porsche instead. Go figure.

Peace: through having fun with whatever game you're playing.

Snotteef
21-04-2009, 05:41
Generally, as long as the models don't consists primarily of parts from other companies, you'll be just fine.

genestealer_baldric
21-04-2009, 08:59
rember the Los Rules when converting i made a landraider/trukk combo before this edition and i prefer it to the tiny 1 gw makes but due to LOS its alot eaiser to see. Bare that in mind when making kool conversions :)

Isambard
21-04-2009, 09:04
It all depends on how good they look. With a certain level of awsomeness pretty much anything is good. If they suck then they probably won't be allowed on the table.

Post some pics :-)

Bunnahabhain
21-04-2009, 09:50
Can't see any problem with any of those. Ork models have huge latitude for conversion.

So long as the look reasonably good, are clear enough as to what they are, and are not trying to abuse the rules- ie very short, wide, pivoting battlewaggons, you should be fine.

SirSnipes
21-04-2009, 12:11
my flgs is fine with em, but me and ma friend are going up to GW in Toronto so ..........

pookie
21-04-2009, 12:47
why dont you give em a ring?

precinctomega
21-04-2009, 13:38
Sounds good to me! I'd love to play against such a wacky army.

R.

Jagged
21-04-2009, 14:13
is GW gonna let me play

Yes. They don't have a policy against scratch built, in fact it seems to be encouraged (hence the selling of bitz).

However they DO have a policy against other models from other companies.

mrjusting
21-04-2009, 14:45
Generally, as long as the models don't consists primarily of parts from other companies, you'll be just fine.

QFT

As long as the models are mostly painted, and not made from competitors models, you'll be fine.

If you want to be double sure, glue a bolter or something on your models.

SirSnipes
21-04-2009, 21:56
hmm i should post pics when im dont painting

Grimtuff
22-04-2009, 00:08
Yes. They don't have a policy against scratch built, in fact it seems to be encouraged (hence the selling of bitz).

That's not scratchbuilding though. It's kitbashing. ;)

Ethriel
22-04-2009, 02:09
The guys at the Toronto Battle Bunker seem to be pretty good on the the scratch built front. One of their employees has a entirely converted Adeptus Mechanicus army, and has at least one, if not more converted miniatures in his armies. I'd say you are pretty safe for your scratchbuilt stuff...again, as long as the bits are GW, they should be fine with it.

biggreengribbly
22-04-2009, 02:31

Would bribery or marriage proposals really help? :angel:

Honestly it's something I pondered once or twice, but since I'm far too inept at even cutting a straight line in Plasticard it is unlikely to become an issue for a long time to come.

I imagine whether or not your models would be accepted would depend entirely on the whim of the store manager and his staff.

Honestly, unlike Pookie here, I wouldn't just phone, I wouldn't even just ask on a casual visit to the store. Because I can think of a pretty glaring example of discussing a conversion with a local staffer that he didn't really understand what I was getting at so thought I was absolutely weird and mad. Kinda like the look they give to ten year olds who want to glue a Railgun onto a Land Raider. But when he saw the finished thing, he gushed like it was the most awesome idea he had ever seen.

If you have the opportunity and if it's convenient, Take one of your scratchbuilds to the store, show it off a bit, see what their attitude towards scratchbuilds is, *then* say "Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff like this in my case. Anyone want a game next week?"

gunmnky
22-04-2009, 03:13
The employee's at my games workshop let an ork player use a tiny cereal box with wooden wheels and straws (all taped together) as a dreadnought (he kept saying it was "a killa khan! Haven't you played dawn of war!") I had an opponent play me with 10 marines... and about 40 empty bases. He pulled it out after I already had my army setup, and I was pissed.

I have a custom hell hound made from a bradly kit (and a bunch of GW parts), and my friend uses a torn up M107 Paladin as a battlewagon. The staff loved both of them and thought they were awesome.

So I guess you probably could, but you're going to get harassed to no end if they are crappy conversions.

CordovaLemonSlayer
22-05-2009, 02:16
As long as the models are painted at least two different colors, and have GW pieces in them. They should be allowed to play unless the store employees are complete jerks.

sukigod
22-05-2009, 14:16

No matter the other posts, this is the one you want.....

Call'em up and find out the name of the person who has the authority to approve your army. Call that person and ask if you can send him/her pictures of your army/conversions. Get a written email approval before heading out there.

This will be the only way to know what to expect an eliminate any surprises.

Good luck!

bocaj
22-05-2009, 15:13
just gotta see a pic of the conversions

LonelyPath
22-05-2009, 20:02
My regular GW store always likes to see scratchbuilt models and unusual conversion, so your work would be more than appreciated there :)

SirSnipes
28-05-2009, 04:10
cameras dead so no pics yet,
battlewagon- a ww2 panzer, with ork plates all over it, a gob on the front with spinning blades, a open bed back with 4 big shootas being manned by 4 orks, the turret has teef on ti and looks dead orky.

trukk 1 looks like a orky attempt at a pirahna, with large wheels at the back and the angled front actin like a ram. and a dash mounted big shoota.

trukk3 is a ww2 halftrakk all orkified up with plates, big shoota, boarding plank, a gob, some red paint.

trukk2 is a GW trukk thats been modified into a helikopter.

my stormboyz ride explosives, missiles(surfin), gun drones, and kannons, aimed at the ground.

my bikers ride surfboards that r flyin( if people have issues i cna use em as stormboyz)

my nob bikers all ride cutom jetbikes,

my wazdakka rides the motorbike from the drak knight and is sculpted as a orky batman.

my buggie is converted from a deffkopter

my 6 killa kans are all converted from scratch using imperial weapons, and random bits for CC, and are all mounted on monowheels

Maxis Lithium
28-05-2009, 04:34
As now you have said that you're in Toronto, I can answer with some clarity. In the past, the 'offical' guideline for GW conversion/scratch builds in store is that the model must be at least 50% GW product to be used in store. That being said, they are less problematic so long as it is clear that there are GW parts used in construction and you DID NOT use another model kit as the base model. If you walk in with a Panzer II with a few extra ork glyphs on it and a grot poping out the top, they'll tell you no.

I have used scratch builds in store before, though I was alot younger then I am now, and that was back when there were alot less offical kits for Ork models.

totgeboren
28-05-2009, 07:30
As has been pointed out, the rule for "GW-parts only and a minimum paintjob" is for them to have an excuse to throw people out who bring in armies that look like ****.
A wargames store needs an excuse to deny people a chance to use their tables and space if they bring in say some dinoriders and lego cars.

The models do not in any way encourage sales of the range the store is carrying (more like the other way around), and therefor its bad marketing to have them in the store.

Bad homemade/scratch-built/kit-bashed stuff scares away customers, since this game is all about the visuals.

If your stuff looks good and follows the fluff, then there will be no problem.

So, to sum up;
If your kit-bashed stuff looks good, and its not obviously just another company's models with an ork glued on, im sure they will let you use it.

SirSnipes
28-05-2009, 21:02
sweet................

Sludgehammer
28-05-2009, 21:09
Depends on the store....they cry to tell you to scratch build...then cry when you do. Half of the people in the store are just people on GW crack that thing if it doesnt look like the box its wrong.

I hear some funny stories from my dad as he walks into the store and have some kid half his age try to tell him how the game is....he just tells them I've been playing since before you were born...I guess that makes em shut up:D

No offense meant to GW stores....but GW stores get a lot of bad rep from what I hear.

in my experience its the annoying vets (some of whom I've been playing longer then)-try and bitch at you.
I just give them a offer of where to put their opinions
usually shuts them up.
I mean just because I am not 40, doesn't mean the almost 10 years I've been at this is nothing. It doesn't feel like that long though...a lot of the time I didn't play or anything (eg most of 4th ed)

isaac
28-05-2009, 21:10
Some pictures would be nice, plus is easier to offer an opinion (besides the standard line)