PDA

View Full Version : Kill Da Stompa

Chem-Dog
21-04-2009, 03:47
Some of you may remember my "Kill the Baneblade" thread a while back well tonight (later today now, I suppose, technically) my Gaming group is taking it on to it's next logical step:- Kill da Stompa.
I'd like to hear what Warseer thinks will win through in this challenge.
Basic outline follows...

Forces
Defender. 1 Standard Ork Stompa
Attacker. 600 points of ANY current Codex. No FOC requirements, no army list Minima/Maxima apply*. ONLY Codex, no IA, No Apoc legendary units or Formations.

*Yes, this means you can double up on special Characters, if that's what you're into.

Deployment
Stompa sets up first on a four foot square table, each side can deploy upto 12" into the Table.
All alternative methods of deployment may be used if optional and must be used if obligatory.
Attacker gets first turn (but Stompa may decide to try to seize the advantage).

Any particularly imaginative or interesting suggestions posted before about 8 pm GMT will be given a try out :)

techman
21-04-2009, 04:32
This looks interesting (i'm looking into small scale stuff to help get my little bro more interested int he gaming side. Could I get a link to some of you other stuff

P.S. Didnt this come out with the WD stompa release except with a few minor changes?

Johnnyfrej
21-04-2009, 05:43
Four Basilisks and a Manticore all starting 120''+ away from the Stompa on the first turn. Basilisks take out the shields and the Manticore finishes off the Structure Points.

Silentexile
21-04-2009, 05:49
Well I'm guessing you might have gotten this from the event that was run a couple of months ago that (at least the Seattle Battle Bunker) was running. (Stompa started about 2 feet from the enemy deployment zone)

It was only 500 points, but here were the two combinations that worked:
-10 Thunder Hammer Terminators+Lysander, Multi-Melta Land Speeder
-2 Monoliths (about as cheesy as they come due to him not having to worry about phase out)

The thing I tryed, but came up just barely short of half-melta range
-Farseer with Guide, Wave Serpent+8 Fire Dragons+Eldar Missile Launcher/Bright Lance Wraithlord

Needless to say, 130 super-gatla shots later, my Wraithlord was dead and my Wave Serpent only shaken lmao! (by the way, the store record for the most shots fired from the super-gatla that day was like 146 before they rolled the doubles for it to run out of ammo)

Deadmanwade
21-04-2009, 06:51
10 Landspeeder Storms with Multimeltas outflanking.

Thrax
21-04-2009, 06:59
Too late, but 8 obliterators?

Ganymene
21-04-2009, 07:00
How about a Farseer with Fortune and full (10 man) Seer Council on Jetbikes?

Throw in an Enhance so they hit on threes in combat and few Emboldens to make sure they don't break if (when) they get shot up or lose combat.

They come out to be about 600 points.

Grimbad
21-04-2009, 07:05
17 individual ork warbuggies with twin-linked rokkit launchas.
One of them has armor plates.

Bunnahabhain
21-04-2009, 10:34
10 x 5 man squads of rough riders, all with melta bombs.- and no lances!

Same effective threat range as jump pack marines, but cost all of 12 pts each...

The ork player will need to kill most of them before they hit to survive. Good fleet rolls will get them into assualt first turn.

EDIT. Or Suicide Veteran Guardsmen, deep striking.

8 squads of 5, with 3 BS4 melta guns each, 600pts dead on.

Both of those are only current for another 10 days or so though....

SylverClaw
21-04-2009, 11:37
I'd go with... 5 x 3 IG lascannon heavy squads. That would either luck out and work or completely fail on turn one. Probably fail.

Or... you could get 7 command squads with Master of Ordinance I think? Yeah. that one is better. I'd put my money on that.

Oh wait... hands down... 2 Abaddys. One can kick pretty much anythings ass; two should be able to end the universe.

But seriously... I've done this with a Baneblade and found that while it's tough to actually destroy assuming you have at least some cover you'll spend six turn ineffectively shooting at each other. Baneblade didn't get a scratch... just chased me around trying to get line of sight like some kind of weird Benny Hill sketch.

Chem-Dog
21-04-2009, 16:21
This looks interesting (i'm looking into small scale stuff to help get my little bro more interested int he gaming side. Could I get a link to some of you other stuff

P.S. Didnt this come out with the WD stompa release except with a few minor changes?

Other Stuff? There;'s the original thread Kill the Baneblade (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2543984#post2543984) thread I mentioned in my OP... that's really about it.

Four Basilisks and a Manticore all starting 120''+ away from the Stompa on the first turn. Basilisks take out the shields and the Manticore finishes off the Structure Points.

How you gonna get 120"+ away on a four foot square table?! :eyebrows:

Well I'm guessing you might have gotten this from the event that was run a couple of months ago that (at least the Seattle Battle Bunker) was running. (Stompa started about 2 feet from the enemy deployment zone)

Nope, I got it from the Idea I had when the Baneblade was released and then I added a radical twist to the concept by using a different target! :eek:

Needless to say, 130 super-gatla shots later, my Wraithlord was dead and my Wave Serpent only shaken lmao!

This raises a good question actually.... what happens when there are no more targets within 12" of the last unit hit?

10 Landspeeder Storms with Multimeltas outflanking.

Outflanking means Reserve rolls, which means you don't know exactly when (or where) they'll be showing up right? Runs the risk of getting taken apart piecemeal, AV 10 skimmers Vs a S10 AP1 main weapon with a 7" blast? Ouch! Not to mention the damage a Mega Gattler can do.

Too late, but 8 obliterators?

Far from too late Got three hours to go by my reckoning. I'm assuming 8 individual Oblits? how they deploying?

How about a Farseer with Fortune and full (10 man) Seer Council on Jetbikes?

Throw in an Enhance so they hit on threes in combat and few Emboldens to make sure they don't break if (when) they get shot up or lose combat.

They come out to be about 600 points.

OK, turbo boosting allows a 3+ inv save, which will save a few long enough to get into combat with the Stompa and invulnerable saves from their armour will help them weather the Destroyer hits. What about spending a few extra points on giving the squad Spears? My only concern is the fact this single squad will have to suffer the Stompa's entire wrath undiluted. Will definitely be giving this one a go :)

10 x 5 man squads of rough riders, all with melta bombs.- and no lances!

Same effective threat range as jump pack marines, but cost all of 12 pts each...

The ork player will need to kill most of them before they hit to survive. Good fleet rolls will get them into assualt first turn.

This what we like to see in our IG generals, hopeless, unfounded optimism! Virtually everything on the Stompa is killing IG outright on a 2 to wound

EDIT. Or Suicide Veteran Guardsmen, deep striking.

8 squads of 5, with 3 BS4 melta guns each, 600pts dead on.

Both of those are only current for another 10 days or so though....

This has an outside chance of fluking it JUST because all you need is a single squad landing behind the stompa and exploiting it's weak armour.
I'll try this one too!

I'd go with... 5 x 3 IG lascannon heavy squads. That would either luck out and work or completely fail on turn one. Probably fail.

Requires some consistent high rolling, but possible.

Or... you could get 7 command squads with Master of Ordinance I think? Yeah. that one is better. I'd put my money on that.

Where in the current IG codex is the MoO? :p (BTW, MoO is the best abbreviation in 40K-Fact!)

Oh wait... hands down... 2 Abaddys. One can kick pretty much anythings ass; two should be able to end the universe.

Any particular reason why? Wouldn't Marneus Calgar do better? is Abberz subject to Instant death?

But seriously... I've done this with a Baneblade and found that while it's tough to actually destroy assuming you have at least some cover you'll spend six turn ineffectively shooting at each other. Baneblade didn't get a scratch... just chased me around trying to get line of sight like some kind of weird Benny Hill sketch.

It is difficult isn't it?! Structure points are a lot harder to shift than people give them credit for. When we tried it, only one force managed to slay the Baneblade with any effectiveness.

Any other suggestions?

StormWulfen
21-04-2009, 16:31
as many chaos terminator champions as you can fit in, all with chainfists and combi-meltas:evilgrin:

for those who don't know a full ten man squad of chaos termies can all be champions.

i managed to fluke a baneblade kill with 1 pred and a ridiculous amont of 6's;)

RampagingRavener
21-04-2009, 16:32
Carnifex with Adrenal Glands (WS and I), Bio-Plasma, Bonded Exoskeleton, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Toxin Sacs, Tusks, 2x Scything Talons.

Take three of these Carnifexes. Each one comes in at 195 points for a total of 585 points. I guess the last 15 points can be spent on a single Deepstriking Bio-Acid spire mine.

Each 'fex gets one st10 I4 attack that always hits on a 4+ and 6 st10 Monstrous Creature attacks at WS4 and I2 on the charge (the Bio-plasma attack and 4 standard attacks if they don't charge). Defensively, each one has five T7 wounds with a 2+ save; to the best of my knowledge only the Deff Kannon and Titan CCweapon can ignore that. I'm pretty sure that even if one Carnifex does get shot down before it charges, the other two should be able to at the very least cripple the Stompa before it can strike back. Any 'weapon destroyed' results should be targeted against the Titan Close Combat weapon if possible.

The Deff Kannon isn't Strength D, is it?

Ganymene
21-04-2009, 16:44
OK, turbo boosting allows a 3+ inv save, which will save a few long enough to get into combat with the Stompa and invulnerable saves from their armour will help them weather the Destroyer hits. What about spending a few extra points on giving the squad Spears? My only concern is the fact this single squad will have to suffer the Stompa's entire wrath undiluted. Will definitely be giving this one a go :)

I decided against the Singing Spears because they can't throw them if they Turboboost and they'll be in combat with it on turn two, and the Spears would give them one less attack each.

Also, don't forget about Fortune. :)

StormWulfen
21-04-2009, 17:01
OK, turbo boosting allows a 3+ inv save

it's a cover save in 5th, not invun:p

sabreu
21-04-2009, 17:12
A bunch of Space Marine captains with powerfists, with an attached Mad Dok Grotsnik. Cybork bodies of course.

Tarquinn
21-04-2009, 17:27
Two cheap wave serpents, filled with fire dragons. Race towards the stompa, unload cargo, move away 24 inches, ram.

Badger Mek
21-04-2009, 17:49
Hows about:

5 Ork Tankbustas with 105 bomb squigs.

That might just work - you'd have to build an enormous 'bomb squig' corrall though or a huge net.

Or for needless cruelty, 200 Gretchin.

Bunnahabhain
21-04-2009, 17:53
How many fast attack Bio acid spore mines does 600 pts buy?

The waves of sympathetic detonation as the gunners shoot one alone would be devastating/hilarious.

Dach
21-04-2009, 19:14
7 DH Orbital strike (lance strike)

the stompa is just a useless big target, he can't do anything... :D

this doesn't mean you're going to kill him either... :skull:

SirSnipes
21-04-2009, 19:25
2 decievers, problem solved

Kyrios
21-04-2009, 19:43
4 squads of 5 Stormboyz inkl. Boss Zagstrukk
2 Big Gunz, Zappas deployed singly, each has one extra crew.

All the Vulchas will try to deep strike behind the stompa and then assault the same turn for 5 S8 Powerklaw attacks/squad.

The Zappas is only to fill up the last points.

Alt. 30 Kannons, each forming a single battery :)

Laser guided fanatic
21-04-2009, 20:03
Hmm...

Lots of MM Landspeeders?

SylverClaw
21-04-2009, 21:28
Requires some consistent high rolling, but possible.

No it isn't possible. And it was my idea. But hell, that's classic Imperial Guard death-wising for you!

Where in the current IG codex is the MoO? :p (BTW, MoO is the best abbreviation in 40K-Fact!)

No, he's not. But hell... one more week and this is no longer a challenge for the Imperial Guard. You're not going to miss a Stompa no matter how far it scatters.

Any particular reason why? Wouldn't Marneus Calgar do better? is Abberz subject to Instant death?

Yep. +4 Inv save, 4 wounds. 4+D6 strength 8 attacks. Oh... and he's a terminator, of course, so shouldn't have too much trouble getting in close. And you can afford two for 600 points!

Though now I think about it... maybe one Abbady and a Daemon Prince, wings, mark of tzeentch, warptime, bolt of change... and a few points spare.

Either one should be able to punch holes through a super heavy without breaking a sweat. Daemon prince has a change of doing that in one turn.

It is difficult isn't it?! Structure points are a lot harder to shift than people give them credit for. When we tried it, only one force managed to slay the Baneblade with any effectiveness.

I was actually saying it's not very exciting; though I'll admit it's a very fun theoretical excerise.